Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,692 members, 7,820,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

The Unlikely Secret To Succeeding At Your First Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Unlikely Secret To Succeeding At Your First Job (444 Views)

Things You Learnt In Your First Job / How To Get My First Job? / Does Your First Job Affect Your Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Unlikely Secret To Succeeding At Your First Job by mukailasule(m): 12:13pm On Nov 17, 2014
[img]http://timedotcom.files./2014/11/141110_ff_jobsdisabilities2.jpg?w=814[/img]
Your first ‘real’ job should give you the foundation needed for future success. This couldn’t have been more true in my case, but not in the ways you’d expect.

After graduating from the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business, I went to work as an analyst in the technology group of a bulge bracket investment bank. It paid very well and was in the tech field I wanted. This was it. I was on my way.

It was 2002, during the depths of the dot-com bust and when the tech sector was a wasteland. I was working with the only active client for the group, a private technology company that engaged our bank to sell itself. As this was the only business for the group at that time, this deal was under tremendous scrutiny on all levels.

I was working 100-plus hour weeks for three straight months, and I remember vividly one weekend when I had a horrible flu. I was at the office working on a Saturday when the VP managing this deal went out to dinner. As she left, she asked for “another rev” on the presentation. Translation: I had to put in another eight hours that night, with a fever, and the CEO wanted to review the presentation on a 7:00 AM call the next morning (Sunday).
read more http://mukailife..com/2014/11/the-unlikely-secret-to-succeeding-at.html

(1) (Reply)

Dedicated To All The Teachers Out There...!!! / Own A Free Share / Is Your Career Compatible With Your Calling?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.