Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,014 members, 7,821,555 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script (49846 Views)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / Where Is The Origin Of The "Nsibidi" Form Of Writing? / Original Nigerian Inhabitants? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:
Thats in your imagination playing tricks with sacred facts, stop this usless revisionist. you can go to Wikipedia and edit and manipulate it to fit your revisionist history, The Efik Ibibio people are by far smarter than that, the linguistic dept and arts department at the university of Calabar and Uyo have done extensive scholarly work on Nsibidi and all our common and unique cultural practices and they are documented in Libraries allover the world, If you knew how to do research you would have found the facts for your self.

Manipulating Wikipedia is not a highly scholastic exercise anyone with a third grade education can do that. Keep wallowing in your intellectual fraud.
This your new found fad with Nsibidi, the sacred language of a sacred Ekpe cultural group will soon fade, Ekpe and Nsibidi will outlive you, your fad and your intellectual fraud just as it has done after all this centuries of unslaught from slavery, to colonialism, to christianity and modernism.

Wiki-what? I don't get my information from Wikipedia or any non-scholarly online sources.

If your lecturers in Uyo and Calabar told you Nsibidi was an Efik/Ibibio innovation, they are the revisionists. If they told you the Eastern Igbo never had Ekpe, they have no business teaching in a university.

12 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Anthrophile(m): 12:22pm On Nov 18, 2014
so we had evolved our own indigenous written codes right from the precolonial era; yet some egoistic chauvinists believed that blacks, especially those from sub-saharan Africa never had their own civilisation.

3 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:26pm On Nov 18, 2014
iamord:

And she has started with the sensible threads cheesy
A very good read here.. I hope those that have lost their roots and look down on africa are taking note.

Btw what does nsibidi have to do with anansi?? Hmm

LOL. I listened to you, see?

Re: Anansi, I was just looking for a project to experiment with. And Anansi is West African, so cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Stillfire: 12:27pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

The origin of nsibidi is unkonwn to you because you are igbo and a non initiate of the Ekpe cultural group whose language is nsibidi, If you were an initiated member of Ekpe then you would know its origin and it root, it will keep eluding you as long as you do not initiate in the cultural society.

Well continue keeping yours sacred and stop complaining. Let other people that were influenced by it use theirs as they want. I don't see the English crying we use their alphabets to write our languages or pidgin English (which is even more of a bastardization of their language). To me this is enough proof south eastern societies have had age long relationships not the newly introduced bitterness and segregation brought about by the politics of the Nigerian government. Igbo people used Nsibidi too. And it is a good thing they have brought it mainstream. You can keep yours sacred.

16 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:27pm On Nov 18, 2014
Radoillo:

Wiki-what? I don't get my information from Wikipedia or any non-scholarly online sources.

If your lecturers in Uyo and Calabar told you Nsibidi was an Efik/Ibibio innovation, they are the revisionists. If they told you the Eastern Igbo never had Ekpe, they have no business teaching in a university.
keep wallowing in intellectual fraud, if you wanted to learn about Ekpe and its language Nsibidi, you would have gone down to its roots the Afe Ekpe and consult the elders and they would have shared the ancient wisdom and language with you just like many great scholars have done but instead you and your cohorts are trying to rewrite history fraudulently by manipulating online platforms.
By theway Nsibidi is not taught at the university it is taught at Afe Ekpe, and you would have known that if you knew anything about the culture you are trying to fraudulently hijack.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by waternogetemeny: 12:28pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Igbos do not practice ekpe fact, how can you speak a language of a cultural society you are not a part of?

Ekpe, also known as Egbo (Ibibio: Leopard), is a secret society flourishing chiefly among the Efiks of the Cross River State, the Oron, of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, Igbos in Abia State, as well as Southeastern Nigerians Igbo/Efik/Oron in the diaspora, such as in Cuba.

My prayer point for u is that u stop ur obsession with my tribe and see me as an equal, like i see u. sad

7 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

keep wallowing in intellectual fraud, if you wanted to learn about Ekpe and its language Nsibidi, you would have gone down to its roots the Afe Ekpe and consult the elders and they would have shared the ancient wisdom and language with you just like many great scholars have done but instead you and your cohorts are trying to rewrite history fraudulently by manipulating online platforms.
By theway Nsibidi is not taught at the university it is taught at Afe Ekpe, and you would have known that if you knew anything about the culture you are trying to fraudulently hijack.

Says the person who says the Igbo never had Ekpe.

And you failed to notice that the OP never said Igbos invented Nsibidi; I believe the sources she used state that it was found among the Efik/Ibibio, the Ejagham, and the Igbo. Why you want to deny this well-attested fact, and claim Nsibidi as the exclusive preserve of the Efik/Ibibio is beyond me.

Yet the Igbos are the fraudulent hijackers in this matter. I laugh.

9 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:33pm On Nov 18, 2014
waternogetemeny:

Ekpe, also known as Egbo (Ibibio: Leopard), is a secret society flourishing chiefly among the Efiks of the Cross River State, the Oron, of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, Igbos in Abia State, as well as Southeastern Nigerians Igbo/Efik/Oron in the diaspora, such as in Cuba.

My prayer point for u is that u stop ur obsession with my tribe and see me as an equal, like i see u. sad

The reason i dont see you as an equal is because you are fraudulent, How can you commit such intellectual dishonesty? How can you say Ekpe and Nsibidi is practiced in Igboland or that it originated from there? can you imagine such effrontery!

I would not do that and i can beat my chest now confidently and pronounce that no Efik/ibibio person will do that, Why always the igbos claiming whats not theirs.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by waternogetemeny: 12:35pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

The reason i dont see you as an equal is because you are fraudulent, How can you commit such intellectual dishonesty? How can you say Ekpe and Nsibidi is practiced in Igboland or that it originated from there? can you imagine such effrontery!
I would not do that and i can beat my chest now confidently and pronounce that no Efik/ibibio person will do that, Why always the igbos claiming whats not theirs.

I don't want to talk to u.

8 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:36pm On Nov 18, 2014
I like the OP. smiley

Owk, I'm off point again, sorry. cry

Here is my take on Nsibidi (hoping I spelt it well), it could serve as a source of unity amongst its users (from the perspective of social linguistics). This is because speakers of different languages who could not ordinarily understand one another would then be able to do so via the proposed writing system given that it cuts across languages though read out differently. Learning it might not be easy but will surely be interesting/fascinating and that, with a bit of passion, is all that is needed. Besides, some of us have gone to the extent of learning Hanzi (Chinese characters) so what's the big deal with Nsibidi?

Maybe it's a white elephant dream, but I still dream it sees daylight some day.

Ok, now that I have made some point, I can go back to:

I like the OP! grin

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:38pm On Nov 18, 2014
pak:
Wow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am extremely impressed by this. You must be a very very intelligent person ! Thumbs UP.

Please I have a few questions for you MissMeiya

* What nationality are you ?
Thanks very much. Nigerian

* Where were you born ?
NY

* Where did you school and what course ?
Haha, I'm leery about sharing personal info on here, but I studied information science and am studying energy management. I... went to an Ivy League that starts with a C. That's all I'll say.

* Wher do you work and what do you do presently.
I'm in grad school, irritating my parents with my joblessness and idealism cheesy
I'm a web designer (which doesn't count to them, because I work for myself lol)

Don't mind my 'plenty' questions just impressed by your knowledge, works and that has made me curious
Didn't learn this in school. I like to learn. And the Internet lets me do that. That's why I ended up in information science, after a long, guilt-riddled struggle with my parents over my miserable, former biology major (no offense to bio people).

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by ICHINONYE(m): 12:38pm On Nov 18, 2014
This s a country I am from, a country we all are 4rm, A country I know is domed beyond ethnic n religious line, our past rulers ve seceded in dividing dis country into different ethnic n religious boundary, except 1 man wil wake up one day n construct d damages am sorry we are not heading anywhere as a country . Now take a look @dis Nsibidi, som1 just pop it out to defend her own ethnic group on a Naira sign war, we should be talking about one Nigeria n that oneness can't stand if we keep searching for a fault n who to blame in each ethnic group
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:41pm On Nov 18, 2014
waternogetemeny:

I don't want to talk to u.

Neither do i, because you are telling lies, you cant steal our cultural identity, its ours and its god given, as an igbo man look closely there are cultural identity that god gave to you, delight in those and leave Ekpe and Its sacred language Nsibidi, which God gave to us alone.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 18, 2014
oluwalfa:

I can see that you haven't been to Essex recently, but I digress. cheesy

On the topic, we are suffering today because we already abandoned that which made us what we are. A very beautiful autograpgh like Nsibidi is kept in secret societies and we twist our tongues to pronounce English words. Well, I blame our parents.

You are wrong in looking for what makes us Nigerians because Nigeria only exists as a geographical expression. Nothing else. We are currently glued together by crude oil and western weapons but it's coming to an end. The east can develop further with Nsibidi. If China adopted the western writing system, it will not be where it is today.

Yes, sadly, you are right. However, many countries have their own troubled beginnings. And they overcame them and cemented their unity and national identities. Eventually. I think we will get there. The country Nigeria is still young. Every year on my father's birthday I tease him about being older than a whole country. We will get there.

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Neither do i, because you are telling lies, you cant steal our cultural identity, its ours and its god given, as an igbo man look closely there are cultural identity that god gave to you, delight in those and leave Ekpe and Its sacred language Nsibidi, which God gave to us alone.

There's something wrong with your brain.

13 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2014
ICHINONYE:
This s a country I am from, a country we all are 4rm, A country I know is domed beyond ethnic n religious line, our past rulers ve seceded in dividing dis country into different ethnic n religious boundary, except 1 man wil wake up one day n construct d damages am sorry we are not heading anywhere as a country . Now take a look @dis Nsibidi, som1 just pop it out to defend her own ethnic group on a Naira sign war, we should be talking about one Nigeria n that oneness can't stand if we keep searching for a fault n who to blame in each ethnic group

one Nigeria will be accomplished when each ethnic group learns to respect one another, you dont see a calabar man claiming igbo culture, why should the igbos over reach their boundries, what effontery to claim that the cultural preserve and identity of the Efik/ Ibibio belong to the igbos? thats not how to forge oneness, the oneness that takes everything form me is not the kind of oneness i want. We must learn to respect what belongs to our neighbours no matter how attractive it may be, the igbos particularly have a problem with this aspect of contentment. .

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 18, 2014
GozieDiora:
I like the OP. smiley

Owk, I'm off point again, sorry. cry

Here is my take on Nsibidi (hoping I spelt it well), it could serve as a source of unity amongst its users. This is because speakers of different languages who could not ordinarily understand one another would then be able to do so via the proposed writing system given that it cuts across languages though read out differently. Learning it might not be easy but will surely be interesting/fascinating and that, with a bit of passion, is all needed. Besides, some of have gone to the extent of learning Hanzi (Chinese characters) so what's the big deal with Nsibidi?

Maybe it's a white elephant dream, but I still dream it sees daylight some day.

Ok, now that I have made some point, I can go back to:

I like the OP! grin

Yay! I like you too!

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by waternogetemeny: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Ok! The point here is made clear in the article, so not much to discuss. I can't continue to argue based on ur personal opinion becos that will be a waste of my time.

Kindly provide a source to support ur dispute of the original article by the OP and all other published works of authority, until then u are entitled to hold ur own opinion as everybody holds their own a.s.shole.

10 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:47pm On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

There's something wrong with your brain.

And yours too, What an intellectual fraud you are. you are mad because i stood up for my culture? I cant let you steal that too.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:48pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

And yours too, What an intellectual fraud you are.

You don't even know my position on the issue. I am not Igbo.

You are hijacking the thread with your tribalistic ramblings.

12 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by cold(m): 12:49pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

Huh! Like seriously
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by cold(m): 12:50pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

And yours too, What an intellectual fraud you are. you are mad because i stood up for my culture? I cant let you steal that too.

4 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:52pm On Nov 18, 2014
I reserve this space for attacking someone called Pak. He seems to be making advances on my crush, the OP angry
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:53pm On Nov 18, 2014
Roflmao

Wrote nsigidi but couldn't build a kingdom. Abegi nsigidi was village drawing by primitive men not written script.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:54pm On Nov 18, 2014
waternogetemeny:

Ok! The point here is made clear in the article, so not much to discuss. I can't continue to argue based on ur personal opinion becos that will be a waste of my time.

Kindly provide a source to support ur dispute of the original article by the OP and all other published works of authority, until then u are entitled to hold ur own opinion as everybody holds their own a.s.shole.

Am not the one wallowing in revisionist history, you are, and the burden of proof is on you. I know my history, culture and practices and their roots you are the one that's befuddled by it. Nsibidi = Ekpe = Efik/Ibibio people cultural identity and is not = Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by waternogetemeny: 12:56pm On Nov 18, 2014
notobs:

am not the one wallowing in revisionist history, you are and the burden is on you. I know my culture and practices and their roots you are the one thats befuddled by it. Nsibidi = Ekpe = Efik/Ibibio people cultural identity and is not = Igbo.

Again u see where u go wrong? Nsibidi did originate amongst the Ejagham people of the northern Cross River region.

Prove how the Ejagham people now equal Efik/Ibibio?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 12:57pm On Nov 18, 2014
cold:

Huh! Like seriously
yes.
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 18, 2014
GozieDiora:
I reserve this space for attacking someone called Pak. He seems to be making advances on my crush, the OP angry

LOOOL You're adorable

...I saw it already wink

2 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Nobody: 12:59pm On Nov 18, 2014
MissMeiya:

Yay! I like you too!

MissMeiya:

LOOOL You're adorable

I'm embarrassed embarassed
Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by waternogetemeny: 1:02pm On Nov 18, 2014
Nsibidi spread throughout the region over time and mixed with other cultures and art forms such as the Igbo uri or uli graphic design, Ekpe, also known as Egbo (Ibibio: Leopard) and efik from the [b]Ejagham people of the Northern Cross River State,[/b]

The Oron, of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria, Igbos in Abia State, as well as Southeastern Nigerians Igbo/Efik/Oron in the diaspora, such as in Cuba.

7 Likes

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by notobs: 1:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
waternogetemeny:

Again u see where u go wrong? Nsibidi did originate amongst the Ejagham people of the northern Cross River region.

you cant gain wisdom through the backdoor. the fact that our culture is dazzling and appealing to you does not mean you should steal it, you can try but i can assure you it will tarry, the colonial masters tried it, christianity tried it, modernity tried how much more a fly in the pan like you and your fellow revisionist. Nsibidi the sacred language of Ekpe will Outlive you all.

1 Like

Re: Nsibidi: The Original Nigerian Writing Script by Deltagiant: 1:06pm On Nov 18, 2014
waternogetemeny:

As Mr 'intellectual' has refused to read what the Op wrote in respect of the ethnic groups and nsibidi, let him answer your question on Ejegham and their sudden equality with Efik-Ibibio. We are following the discussion.

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo And His Wives Celebrate Eid Il Fitri / Saadatu Lamido, Emir Of Kano's Young Wife, Glows In New Photo / Oba Sijuwade When He Arrived For His Coronation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.