Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,828 members, 7,820,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Internet-enabled Desktop Applications - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Internet-enabled Desktop Applications (852 Views)

Best Laptops & Desktop Computers For Programmers?? / Testing Programmers: Puzzles Or Web Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by chim14(m): 11:34pm On Nov 17, 2014
Hello! Nairalanders. I'm glad to be back after sometime off.

The I.T industry in Nigeria, is all about Internet(Web), Website, Website WEBSITE! This is ok because of the ability to access your data from anywhere.

SO WHAT'S HAPPENING TO OUR DESKTOP(NATIVE) PROGRAMS?

Many people consider desktop programs as local, with no ubiquitous properties. My clients will always say "I want an ONLINE version". Then I would start to crack my head with PHP, Javascript, Ajax, JSON, nodjs and all kinds of web excreta and urine.

As a Software Researcher, i have started a revolution in that course which is, MAKING DESKTOP PROGRAMS WEB-ENABLED following the example of Skype which is an Internet-enabled desktop and mobile based app.

Recently, I got feed up of Browser based programs due to poor internet connectivity of our Nigerian Internet-Provider.

Anytime I want to open my mail for instance, I have to type the URL and WAIT. Ok o, if I login, I have to wait again - VERY BORING. So as a programmer(Not for mouth), I had to build my own customized Email desktop program and I developed a method of QUICK LOGIN.

Meaning that a user don't need to wait for boring minutes(when internet connectivity is fair or low) before he can login and send someone an email(You just type your email and password and login in a split second and start to type your message).

When internet connectivity is low, my Email program sends mails(even with attachments), FASTER THAN THE SO CALLED BROWSER BASED VERSION I am not boasting, I've tried it for myself. Compare this to the browser-based counterpart that requires your mails to finish loading before you can compose and send anything - HOW RIDICULUS AND FRUSTRATING!

My creation has GREATLY RELIEVED me from not opening my browser, anytime I want to send an email to someone.

This experience has consequently channeled my attention and vision of making all my desktop programs Internet-enabled and not just focusing on the frenzy and mad rush of just browser-based apps that you commonly see around.

So my dear programmers, na so I see am o!
My software research continues............

Email: chimsgraphic@gmail.com
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

1 Like

Re: Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by naijatechworld: 3:43am On Nov 18, 2014
chim14:
Hello! Nairalanders. I'm glad to be back after sometime off.

The I.T industry in Nigeria, is all about Internet(Web), Website, Website WEBSITE! This is ok because of the ability to access your data from anywhere.

SO WHAT'S HAPPENING TO OUR DESKTOP(NATIVE) PROGRAMS?

Many people consider desktop programs as local, with no ubiquitous properties. My clients will always say "I want an ONLINE version". Then I would start to crack my head with PHP, Javascript, Ajax, JSON, nodjs and all kinds of web excreta and urine.

As a Software Researcher, i have started a revolution in that course which is, MAKING DESKTOP PROGRAMS WEB-ENABLED following the example of Skype which is an Internet-enabled desktop and mobile based app.

Recently, I got feed up of Browser based programs due to poor internet connectivity of our Nigerian Internet-Provider.

Anytime I want to open my mail for instance, I have to type the URL and WAIT. Ok o, if I login, I have to wait again - VERY BORING. So as a programmer(Not for mouth), I had to build my own customized Email desktop program and I developed a method of QUICK LOGIN.

Meaning that a user don't need to wait for boring minutes(when internet connectivity is fair or low) before he can login and send someone an email(You just type your email and password and login in a split second and start to type your message).

When internet connectivity is low, my Email program sends mails(even with attachments), FASTER THAN THE SO CALLED BROWSER BASED VERSION I am not boasting, I've tried it for myself. Compare this to the browser-based counterpart that requires your mails to finish loading before you can compose and send anything - HOW RIDICULUS AND FRUSTRATING!

My creation has GREATLY RELIEVED me from not opening my browser, anytime I want to send an email to someone.

This experience has consequently channeled my attention and vision of making all my desktop programs Internet-enabled and not just focusing on the frenzy and mad rush of just browser-based apps that you commonly see around.

So my dear programmers, na so I see am o!
My software research continues............

Email: chimsgraphic@gmail.com
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

I like this idea. I nrva thought of it like this.
Re: Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by asalimpo(m): 11:16pm On Nov 18, 2014
Theyre many free email desktop clients. Congrats for wastg ur time.
Remember time is money.

*wat language did u use for this unnecessary project of urs? *
Re: Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by CodeHouse: 10:07am On Nov 19, 2014
Is this new? No! Some of us have been developing Desktop apps with cloud features since time of slice bread. I have posted about such about desktop apps. I still prefer Desktop programming to any web things, any time, any day.

It is pertinent to state clearly that the world is going mobile n cloud so Desktop Programmers are to step up to do something web friendly.

Among what my Desktop app can do are: send and read emails, send sms, upload and download files to and from server, write to server, update front page and any other page of a website, stream and play audio and videos from a server, update database, update flat database, chatting client with sever IP (my chatting platform has been for years, with modification I can create rooms in php), work with Micro contollers to automate devices and actuators, etc

Desktop programming is core such that you relate with the OS directly.
Re: Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by chim14(m): 4:18pm On Nov 23, 2014
@ asalimpo

Well, CMail has already been crafted in my own image and likeness - IS HERE TO STAY whether you like it or not. I've designed an unconventional email app.
Re: Internet-enabled Desktop Applications by chim14(m): 4:21pm On Nov 23, 2014
@ CodeHouse

Luv u bro! You've said it all(THUMBS UP).

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On Designing A Website For Human Right Organization / Code Is Poetry - 5 Steps To Bullet Proof Code / Database Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.