Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,966 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy (5123 Views)

Setting The Record Straight On "Speaking In Tongues" And Other Spiritual Gifts / The Skeptic / 2 Year Old Christ Embassy Girl Speaks In Tongues And Preaches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 4:07pm On Nov 18, 2014
Except you repent, you will perish in your rebellion just like Baalzebub
sonOfLucifer:

Jesus means nothing. Go hang yourself.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
vooks:
Except you repent, you will perish in your rebellion just like Baalzebub
Bleep repentance. I fear no authority. Bleep YOUR JESUS AND ALL HE REPRESENTS. Remain a slave to a dead being and let me live my life in peace. FEAR AND THREATS DO NOT WORK ON THE MEN OF LIGHT.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by shdemidemi(m): 5:11pm On Nov 18, 2014
2 Tim 23
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 5:15pm On Nov 18, 2014
2 Cor 4:3-4 (KJV)
But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: 4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

sonOfLucifer:

Bleep repentance. I fear no authority. Bleep YOUR JESUS AND ALL HE REPRESENTS. Remain a slave to a dead being and let me live my life in peace. FEAR AND THREATS DO NOT WORK ON THE MEN OF LIGHT.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Nobody: 5:30pm On Nov 18, 2014
Funny thread.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 6:01pm On Nov 18, 2014
2 Timothy 2:14 (American Standard Version - ASV)
14 Of these things put them in remembrance, charging them in the sight of the Lord, that they strive not about words, to no profit, to the subverting of them that hear.

Paul is telling us to drop idiotic arguments about words such as 'speaking in an unknown tongue' vs 'speaking in tongues'
shdemidemi:
2 Tim 23
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Goshen360(m): 5:29pm On Nov 27, 2014
Can we discuss the topic of this thread please? I have also told our brother, S' demi that his message on tongues AS SPIRITUAL GIFT is wrong.

Back to the topic please
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by shdemidemi(m): 5:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
Goshen360:
Can we discuss the topic of this thread please? I have also told our brother, S' demi that his message on tongues AS SPIRITUAL GIFT is wrong.

Back to the topic please

I completely disagree with you on this topic, I am very much opened to discuss the topic with anyone with common sense and faith.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Goshen360(m): 5:55pm On Nov 27, 2014
shdemidemi:

I completely disagree with you on this topic, I am very much opened to discuss the topic with anyone with common sense and faith.

Okay. Let's start it this way. Do you believe the scripture talked about TWO kinds of tongues OR you believe it's ONE AND THE SAME tongue scripture talked about?
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by shdemidemi(m): 6:24pm On Nov 27, 2014
Goshen360:

Okay. Let's start it this way. Do you believe the scripture talked about TWO kinds of tongues OR you believe it's ONE AND THE SAME tongue scripture talked about?

Using my mobile at the minute, response might be short.

I believe bible spoke of two different kind of tongues.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Goshen360(m): 10:16pm On Nov 27, 2014
shdemidemi:

I also believe the bible talked about two tongues - sign tongues and praying tongues. Do you agree or disagree with this?

1. What are those two tongues?

2. Why do you think or believe speaking in "unknown tongues" as the gift of the Spirit is unscriptural?. This "unknown tongues" is what I refer to as "praying tongues" as part of the gift of the Spirit. I will explain later as we continue our discussion.

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 4:08am On Nov 28, 2014
Waiting
shdemidemi:

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by shdemidemi(m): 7:32am On Nov 28, 2014
Goshen360:

I also believe the bible talked about two tongues - sign tongues and praying tongues. Do you agree or disagree with this?

1. What are those two tongues?

2. Why do you think or believe speaking in "unknown tongues" as the gift of the Spirit is unscriptural?. This "unknown tongues" is what I refer to as "praying tongues" as part of the gift of the Spirit. I will explain later as we continue our discussion.

I agree the bible spoke of a genuine understandable tongue and a travesty form of prayer in an unknown tongue.

1) on one hand we have tongues which was an ability to speak in other languages, understandable dialects that one never learned but could be understood by men. Example of this was what happened in acts 2 where Peter and the rest of the disciples shared God's glory with all that were present at Pentecost.

Every where people spoke in tongues in Luke's report it was never a praying exercise but in complete similitude to what happened on the first day the people got inundated by the Spirit.

Moving forward, we come to a total different kind of tongue in a church Paul had started. These people loved the showy and flashy gifts and they flaunted it as a way of showing off their purported level of spirituality. A correctional letter was written to them as a way of curtailing this problem among many applicational and doctrinal problems they had in this church.

Paul started with this issue of tongue with a tone that gives one the impression that these people lacked understanding and were misinformed of what they thought these gifts were and most importantly the reason why God gave men the gift.
1 cor 12
12 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit.

Paul went further to make them see they all will not speak in tongues, not all will have the gift of interpreting them to the entire church. They must have turned the whole place on its head before this letter was sent, do you agree?

I advise we keep hold of 1 cor 12:7 as we move on so we don't misunderstand what Paul alludes later in his corrections to this church-

7 [size=32pt]But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.[/size]

7 A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 2:22pm On Nov 28, 2014
Goshen360,
You are needed here
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2015

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 8:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
vooks:
http://www.substancechurch.com/sites/default/files/files/SkepticsGuideToTongues.pdf

Wonderful book
Thanks vooks... this is a really great bookn worthy of sharing. The central theme on which the books confronts this highly debatable issue is that "the Kingdom of God is at hand"... and from this understanding are greatly appreciated the "reasons and srgument" in support of tongues and prophecy.

I would advice all Christians "skeptical" on the issue of tongues, to please read it because THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS NEAR! grin grin grin
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 9:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
vooks:
http://www.substancechurch.com/sites/default/files/files/SkepticsGuideToTongues.pdf

My brother shdemidemi and other like minds would do well to study this book.

today i went to check the above link and this is what i saw... have the taken the book offline? but i thank God i did have it before this error page

Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 6:10am On Sep 13, 2015
unphilaz:

today i went to check the above link and this is what i saw... have the taken the book offline? but i thank God i did have it before this error page

Hello there
I have uploaded the book to GoogleDrive
Here is the link;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrT0F-mwJf1NWdGelk3enMzZ2M
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 2:11am On Sep 14, 2015
vooks:

Hello there
I have uploaded the book to GoogleDrive
Here is the link;
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxrT0F-mwJf1NWdGelk3enMzZ2M

Thanks will direct as much as i can to it and let "The kingdom of God is at a hand" reverberate
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 4:22am On Sep 14, 2015
unphilaz:

Thanks will direct as much as i can to it and let "The kingdom of God is at a hand" reverberate
Welcome and stay blessed
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 10:18pm On Sep 14, 2015
My people, i finished this ebook and was like God thank you for your mercy. Its just 50something pages good read.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 3:38am On Sep 15, 2015
Hmm, why are the "religions of this world" rubbing shoulders with the God way? Becos the People in it have choosen "enlightenment" over the supernatural. Get this book
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 5:31am On Sep 15, 2015
unphilaz:
My people, i finished this ebook and was like God thank you for your mercy. Its just 50something pages good read.

I was immensely blessed by the author, he writes from the trenches not an armchair

God bless him
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 8:18am On Sep 15, 2015
The gifts of the Spirit was further relegated around the era of enlightenment between the 16th and 18th century. Get this book
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by ABDULADINO(m): 9:09am On Sep 15, 2015
Nice one, your amateur theologian agrees with you on this one.Lol. I hope skeptics like babafemi1000 and others get to read this.

BTW where is shdemidemi?
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Nobody: 7:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
ABDULADINO:
Nice one, your amateur theologian agrees with you on this one.Lol. I hope skeptics like babafemi1000 and others get to read this.

BTW where is shdemidemi?

Na fight? B*tch please! undecided
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by ABDULADINO(m): 8:40am On Sep 16, 2015
babafemi1000:

Na fight? B*tch please! undecided
No be fight.Directing you here is an act of prayer. Read pls and emancipate yourself from long entrenched traditions of men.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by Nobody: 8:57am On Sep 16, 2015
ABDULADINO:
No be fight.Directing you here is an act of prayer. Read pls and emancipate yourself from long entrenched traditions of men.

Yeah I know say nor be fight. I've just been itching to use that line.. grin

Back to the matter, i don't think I wanna read any more "books" that propagate this false teaching. I have the scriptures to read and digest and that's enough for me. In fact, that's enough for any believer in jesus christ.

Your saying directing me is an act of prayer? Oh (really wanted to insert b*tch here) please!

I bid thee all the best in your pursuit of "speaking in other tongues".

So long sucker! *evil laughter* cheesy
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by unphilaz(m): 9:54am On Sep 16, 2015
As the name imply, we have skeptics amongst us for paul admonish us to test all things and hold the good. This book should be read with an open mind and your bais tot on tongues will be addressed.
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by shdemidemi(m): 11:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 5:13am On Sep 21, 2015
babafemi1000:

Yeah I know say nor be fight. I've just been itching to use that line.. grin

Back to the matter, i don't think I wanna read any more "books" that propagate this false teaching. I have the scriptures to read and digest and that's enough for me. In fact, that's enough for any believer in jesus christ.

Your saying directing me is an act of prayer? Oh (really wanted to insert b*tch here) please!

I bid thee all the best in your pursuit of "speaking in other tongues".

So long sucker! *evil laughter* cheesy
Negro,
Watching African American crap movies and listening to Snoop is no rocket science so you don't exactly look like Eistein for aping them
Re: The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy by vooks: 5:14am On Sep 21, 2015
unphilaz:
As the name imply, we have skeptics amongst us for paul admonish us to test all things and hold the good. This book should be read with an open mind and your bais tot on tongues will be addressed.

Very apt summary here.

God bless you sir

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Fasting Helps To Unlock Your Spiritual Potential / You Stand In Christ Stead- Pastor Chris / Ugandan Pastor Uses Lady As Practical While Education Sex To Church Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.