Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,184 members, 7,953,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:56 PM

The Skeptic - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Skeptic (2232 Views)

The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy / How I Became A Rational Skeptic / Skeptic Mouth Stoppers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 6:19am On Jul 20, 2012
Just wanted to share something I came across.

“But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist. And the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it. . . .
As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. A Russian pessimist will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then prove by the highest philosophical principles that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . .
The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts.
In short, the modern revolutionist, being an infinite skeptic, is always engaged in undermining his own mines. In his book on politics he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics he attacks morality for trampling on men.
Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”
― G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

A man walks into a doctors office and announced "I am a dead man"
"Do you mean this literally?" the doctor asked
"Yes indeed" replied the man
"You cannot be dead" retorted the doctor, "dead people don't speak"
"But I am indeed dead even though I speak"
By this time the doctor was at his wits end but thinking of a way to convince the man that he was not dead he asked; "May I propose a little test?"
"Of course you may" replied the man.
"Do dead people feel pain?" asked the doctor
"Of course not" replied the man, "dead people cannot feel pain"
Immediately, the doctor took a little hammer and hit the man on the head.
"Aaaargh!!" the man screamed. "What was that for?"
"Did you feel pain when I hit you?" the doctor asked rather triumphantly.
"Yes I did" replied the man. "I guess dead people feel pain after all"

And they came and said to him, “Teacher, we know that you are true and do not care about anyone’s opinion. For you are not swayed by appearances, but truly teach the way of God. Is it lawful to pay taxes to Caesar, or not? Should we pay them, or should we not?”
But, knowing their hypocrisy, he said to them, “Why put me to the test? Bring me a denarius and let me look at it.”
They brought one. And He said to them, "Whose image and inscription is this?" And they said to Him, "Caesar's."
Jesus said to them, “Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.” And they marveled at him.
Mark 12:14-17

Now imagine this:

They came to Jesus and asked: "Is it right to pay homage to God or not? Should we honor God or should we not?"
And He said: "Why put me to the test? Bring me a person and let me look at him"
Then came a man. And He said to them "Whose image and likeness is this?

And they said..................

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2012
Copy and paste.

Why cant you use your brain and read the silly thing you posted?

Mr_Anony:
“But the new rebel is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything. He has no loyalty; therefore he can never be really a revolutionist.

How stupid. The very fact that there are revolutionary atheists debunks this nonsense statement. Furthermore, a skeptic is loyal to evidence.

Also, just because someone is skeptic, it doesnt mean that the person can not find a cause to fight for.

Richard Branson, a revolutionary businessman with his unconventional business practices is a skeptic
Bill Gates revolutionized the computer world with windows.

Mr_Anony:
As a politician, he will cry out that war is a waste of life, and then, as a philosopher, that all life is waste of time. [b]A Russian pessimist [/b]will denounce a policeman for killing a peasant, and then [b]prove by the highest philosophical principles [/b]that the peasant ought to have killed himself. . . .

Russian pessimist? What is with the xenophobia? Is there any difference between a pessimist and a Russian pessimist. Or does the idiot that wrote this think that all Russians are godless? Or that the only godless pessimists are russians?

Furthermore, which philosophical principle espouses suicide as an alternative to being killed? WTF? Do all philosophers feel that life is a waste of time? Seriously, is the writer such much against intelligence or what?

Mr_Anony: The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he takes his hat and umbrella and goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts.

Savages? Wow Mr, Anony, in this 21st century do we refer to any set of people as "savages". The writer hypocritically does so!

As for beasts, when has "beasts" ever become a scientific term?

Keep copying and pasting nonsense by anti-intellectuals
Re: The Skeptic by cyrexx: 7:43am On Jul 20, 2012
@ Mr Anony

Nice article, i must say.
But dont forget that christianity was once a revolutionary rebel against Judaism while establishing its own faith as a new form of religion.
It can be argued that modern day skeptism (pls note:not necessarily atheism) is a revolutionary rebel against all forms of religion while establishing humanism, rational thinking and scientifically verified truths.
A skeptic refuses to feed on religious dogma but asks questions and seeks to validate any proposition that is presented to him.
Re: The Skeptic by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:40am On Jul 20, 2012
Mr_Anony:
A man walks into a doctors office and announced "I am a dead man"
"Do you mean this literally?" the doctor asked
"Yes indeed" replied the man
"You cannot be dead" retorted the doctor, "dead people don't speak"
"But I am indeed dead even though I speak"
By this time the doctor was at his wits end but thinking of a way to convince the man that he was not dead he asked; "May I propose a little test?"
"Of course you may" replied the man.
"Do dead people feel pain?" asked the doctor
"Of course not" replied the man, "dead people cannot feel pain"
Immediately, the doctor took a little hammer and hit the man on the head.
"Aaaargh!!" the man screamed. "What was that for?"
"Did you feel pain when I hit you?" the doctor asked rather triumphantly.
"Yes I did" replied the man. "I guess dead people feel pain after all"

The highlighted is a typical response you will get from these skeptics, even if the doctor uses a knife to cut the skeptic until he bleeds he will still say "I guess that dead people bleed after all" This just shows how skeptics cannot be intellectually converted except one makes them to reason with their conscience.

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 9:43am On Jul 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

The highlighted is a typical response you will get from these skeptics, even if the doctor uses a knife to cut the skeptic until he bleeds he will still say "I guess that dead people bleed after all" This just shows how skeptics cannot be intellectually converted except one makes them to reason with their conscience.

See this anti-intellectual. You talk as if skepticism is not the more intellectual between it and faith.

dead people bleed could be a sarcastic reply
Re: The Skeptic by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:49am On Jul 20, 2012
MacDaddy01:

See this anti-intellectual. You talk as if skepticism is not the more intellectual between it and faith.

Do you call this intelligence?

Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 9:57am On Jul 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Yes, because Romans 1;22 was talking about evolution or scientists. angry angry

Thanks for the foolish cartoon. By the way, evolution is a scientific theory. Keep living in the stoneage
Re: The Skeptic by caezar: 10:43am On Jul 20, 2012
MacDaddy01: Copy and paste.

How stupid. The very fact that there are revolutionary atheists debunks this nonsense statement. Furthermore, a skeptic is loyal to evidence.

Also, just because someone is skeptic, it doesnt mean that the person can not find a cause to fight for.

Richard Branson, a revolutionary businessman with his unconventional business practices is a skeptic

Russian pessimist? What is with the xenophobia? Is there any difference between a pessimist and a Russian pessimist. Or does the idiot that wrote this think that all Russians are godless? Or that the only godless pessimists are russians?

Furthermore, which philosophical principle espouses suicide as an alternative to being killed? WTF? Do all philosophers feel that life is a waste of time? Seriously, is the writer such much against intelligence or what?

Savages? Wow Mr, Anony, in this 21st century do we refer to any set of people as "savages". The writer hypocritically does so!

I can only conclude from this that MacDaddy has no appreciation for poetry and must be an absolute literalist. Which would imply an intolerance for metaphor or an inability to comprehend it. I am leaning towards the latter but I leave room for hope... Is that foolish?

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Got to admit, the pic cracked me up...
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 11:28am On Jul 20, 2012
caezar:

I can only conclude from this that MacDaddy has no appreciation for poetry and must be an absolute literalist. Which would imply an intolerance for metaphor or an inability to comprehend it. I am leaning towards the latter but I leave room for hope... Is that foolish?

Huh? The article is to be taken metaphorically? Wow.....wow......wow.......the lengths that some people will go to defend an obvious lie is amazing.

What is the article a metaphor for? It has to have a meaning however non-literal it is
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 20, 2012
cyrexx: @ Mr Anony

Nice article, i must say.
But dont forget that christianity was once a revolutionary rebel against Judaism while establishing its own faith as a new form of religion.
It can be argued that modern day skeptism (pls note:not necessarily atheism) is a revolutionary rebel against all forms of religion while establishing humanism, rational thinking and scientifically verified truths.
A skeptic refuses to feed on religious dogma but asks questions and seeks to validate any proposition that is presented to him.

Thank you for not attempting to verbally bash Mr Anony's brains in for daring to venture an opinion. And for at least venturing an understandable response.

I do not think that Christianity, by which I mean Christ not a religion (that's another issue, Christianity does not claim to be a religious philosophy of any sort), was a rebel in any sense of that word. So permit me to disagree with you there.

The second bolded statement has not been my experience of atheists/skeptics. My experience of them has been that nothing can be rational thinking if it is in any way linked to the Bible. "Scientifically verified truths" is also not the right term for the truths that the atheists/skeptics I have interacted with have embraced, in fact, their most emphasized litany I'm conversant with is "nobody knows..." Perhaps "nobody knows" is a scientifically verified truth, I doubt it though.

The last bolded. My experience with atheists/skeptics also informs me that the skeptic never seeks to validate anything. He rather tasks all his energies to invalidate everything. He seems to me to hate the concept of providing any kind of premise or ground for his arguments and this dodginess is hailed by him and others like him as intellectual.

MacDaddy01: Copy and paste.

Your speed to hurl insults and cast aspersions on any reasoning that questions the position of the atheist is not very commendable. Are you sure that if you had the power you would not set out on an extermination campaign to blot Christians out of existence just so you can sleep easier in the dark? Your attitude says you would.

I could have bolded more parts of your comment but there are so many bolded already. I can't even effectively address them all and breaking your comment into chunks so that I can address each issue separately is a task I find unappealing right now for the simple fact that it's a grand difficulty to address an emotional argument.
So forgive my saying only that everything I bolded is doubtful as to their truth. The "principle" that I bolded was to ask you if you actually subscribe to any principle and why. Because principles are things that cannot be proven empirically, so implying that you, an atheist, subscribe to any tantamounts to saying that you have faith and that questions your position as an atheist.

MacDaddy01:

The first bolded is a very questionable statement both as to its truth and as to its relevance. The opinion expressed by Mr Anony addresses the sense in skepticism positing that it is a contradictory and self-defeating stand because it cuts the ground off from under its own feet.

The last bolded is not a smart comeback. You were not the origin of the story so how do you presume to assign sarcasm to any character in the story? Or were you an eyewitness or the character himself?
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 7:22pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Your speed to hurl insults and cast aspersions on any reasoning that questions the position of the atheist is not very commendable. Are you sure that if you had the power you would not set out on an extermination campaign to blot Christians out of existence just so you can sleep easier in the dark? Your attitude says you would.

Please, do not come and act like I am the aggressor here. Mr. Anony posted a thread that is nothing but lies on the skeptics/atheists and their position.

Furthermore, thank you for comparing me to a mass murderer. You talk as if Christianity has not been the worst religion ever to exist in terms of torture and wars. You must be sipping on some hypocrisy juice.

Ihedinobi:
I could have bolded more parts of your comment but there are so many bolded already. I can't even effectively address them all and breaking your comment into chunks so that I can address each issue separately is a task I find unappealing right now for the simple fact that it's a grand difficulty to address an emotional argument.
So forgive my saying only that everything I bolded is doubtful as to their truth. The "principle" that I bolded was to ask you if you actually subscribe to any principle and why. Because principles are things that cannot be proven empirically, so implying that you, an atheist, subscribe to any tantamounts to saying that you have faith and that questions your position as an atheist.

WTF? Seriously? When did philosopy = atheism? Did you even read my comment? I asked which philosopical principle suggests that one should commit suicide rather than be killed by someone else.

Ihedinobi:
The first bolded is a very questionable statement both as to its truth and as to its relevance. The opinion expressed by Mr Anony addresses the sense in skepticism positing that it is a contradictory and self-defeating stand because it cuts the ground off from under its own feet.

The last bolded is not a smart comeback. You were not the origin of the story so how do you presume to assign sarcasm to any character in the story? Or were you an eyewitness or the character himself?

"could be"

Read my comment again----I said that it could be sarcastic.
Re: The Skeptic by Ptolomeus(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2012
OLAADEGBU: This just shows how skeptics cannot be intellectually converted except one makes them to reason with their conscience.
Ay ay ay ... Olaa ...
How can we speak of "intellectuality" if someone has so little imagination and intelligence, which starts a thread by copying and pasting an article?.

In another order ... Olaa, you do not have any pictures more fun?
Re: The Skeptic by cyrexx: 8:27pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:
Thank you for not attempting to verbally bash Mr Anony's brains in for daring to venture an opinion. And for at least venturing an understandable response.

You are very welcome, sir, we can only learn from each other in atmosphere of mutual respect and undertanding of diverse viewpoints.

Ihedinobi:

I do not think that Christianity, by which I mean Christ not a religion (that's another issue, Christianity does not claim to be a religious philosophy of any sort), was a rebel in any sense of that word. So permit me to disagree with you there.

no problem with that

Ihedinobi:
The second bolded statement has not been my experience of atheists/skeptics. My experience of them has been that nothing can be rational thinking if it is in any way linked to the Bible. "Scientifically verified truths" is also not the right term for the truths that the atheists/skeptics I have interacted with have embraced, in fact, their most emphasized litany I'm conversant with is "nobody knows..." Perhaps "nobody knows" is a scientifically verified truth, I doubt it though.

@ bolded, i dont believe it is right to say nothing rational can come from the bible. the bible contains some timeless wisdom, no doubt. but atheists like me take it with grain of salt. it more like a words of brilliant ancient men that many people believe are the words of God. if truly there is an omniscient being anywhere in any universe who wrote the bible, i believe the bible should contain more relevant information on our knowledge of the universe.
scientific truths however are testable and verifiable.

Ihedinobi:

The last bolded. My experience with atheists/skeptics also informs me that the skeptic never seeks to validate anything. He rather tasks all his energies to invalidate everything. He seems to me to hate the concept of providing any kind of premise or ground for his arguments and this dodginess is hailed by him and others like him as intellectual.

i cant speak for everyone, but i am not like those you decribed. i have made a personal vow that if i find any convincing evidence of any Supreme Being anywhere, i will definitely believe him. i seek to validate truth but I definitely reject religion. it is just man-made attempt to explain life mysteries, nothing more

cheers, bro

1 Like

Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jul 20, 2012
cyrexx:

You are very welcome, sir, we can only learn from each other in atmosphere of mutual respect and undertanding of diverse viewpoints.

no problem with that

@ bolded, i dont believe it is right to say nothing rational can come from the bible. the bible contains some timeless wisdom, no doubt. but atheists like me take it with grain of salt. it more like a words of brilliant ancient men that many people believe are the words of God. if truly there is an omniscient being anywhere in any universe who wrote the bible, i believe the bible should contain more relevant information on our knowledge of the universe.

i cant speak for everyone, but i am not like those you decribed. i have made a personal vow that if i find any convincing evidence of any Supreme Being anywhere, i will definitely believe him. i seek to validate truth but I definitely reject religion. it is just man-made attempt to explain life mysteries, nothing more

cheers, bro

Very gracious response, thank you. I'd be glad to take on your objections to the arguments for the existence of Yahweh (that seems the more widely accepted tag for Him smiley I actually prefer "Jesus Christ", but no matter). And I promise to let you have full rein with your arguments. I won't mind if you throw curves. It can be private or public whichever you prefer.

MacDaddy01:

Please, do not come and act like I am the aggressor here. Mr. Anony posted a thread that is nothing but lies on the skeptics/atheists and their position.

Pardon my saying so, but it's not a bad thing to dispassionately expose the lies. It's counter-productive to react with insults.

MacDaddy01: Furthermore, thank you for comparing me to a mass murderer. You talk as if Christianity has not been the worst religion ever to exist in terms of torture and wars. You must be sipping on some hypocrisy juice.

I assure you I have not. And I do not disagree that men have committed atrocities in the name of Jesus Christ. But even so, does any of that preclude the fact that you would too in the name of your atheism? You show enormous spite and anger at Christianity. Is it unreasonable for me to say that if you had power like the papacy had in the Dark Ages you would not try to "get back at Christianity" for all the hurt you lay at its door?

MacDaddy01: WTF? Seriously? When did philosopy = atheism? Did you even read my comment? I asked which philosopical principle suggests that one should commit suicide rather than be killed by someone else.

I did read your comment and I read your response to my thoughts on it just now. I'm sorry if I have misunderstood you. But pray tell, why raise ask the question at all? What are you countering, what are defending with the question?

MacDaddy01: "could be"

Read my comment again----I said that it could be sarcastic.

Ok. And my question is why you think it could be?
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 20, 2012
cyrexx:

no problem with that

cheers, bro
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 10:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
Ihedinobi:

Very gracious response, thank you. I'd be glad to take on your objections to the arguments for the existence of Yahweh (that seems the more widely accepted tag for Him smiley I actually prefer "Jesus Christ", but no matter). And I promise to let you have full rein with your arguments. I won't mind if you throw curves. It can be private or public whichever you prefer.

Pardon my saying so, but it's not a bad thing to dispassionately expose the lies. It's counter-productive to react with insults.

I assure you I have not. And I do not disagree that men have committed atrocities in the name of Jesus Christ. But even so, does any of that preclude the fact that you would too in the name of your atheism? You show enormous spite and anger at Christianity. Is it unreasonable for me to say that if you had power like the papacy had in the Dark Ages you would not try to "get back at Christianity" for all the hurt you lay at its door?

I did read your comment and I read your response to my thoughts on it just now. I'm sorry if I have misunderstood you. But pray tell, why raise ask the question at all? What are you countering, what are defending with the question?

Ok. And my question is why you think it could be?

Look, if you want to argue for argument sake, I will not engage you. The nonsense in the original post is clear to anyone that has sense.

As for christianity, it is and forever will be the bloodiest religion known to mankind. Even if Jihadists destroy a whole country, They would not even touch the disaster that Christianity has done. This is one truth that christians will never accept and I will keep hammering it. Hypocrites.

As for me, I have never ever wanted to kill anyone or wipe out any religion. If you notice, I am even more tolerant of the pagans because they accept that their religion is not perfect. Christians will defend slavery rather than admit that leveticus was evil.

You can lie and bear false witness about me but I am not a killer neither am I Stalin
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 11:32pm On Jul 20, 2012
Wow, just wow.
@Macdaddy & Ptolomeus, you both need a lesson on the difference between literal and figurative speech besides it is not a copy and paste article, the authors have been cited (though I never thought that Nairaland religion forum was a peer-reviewed journal).

Anyway, for those who missed the point of the article (people like *coughs* ....ahem...logicboy *coughs). I'll explain:

The article consisted of a quote from Orthodoxy (1908), A joke I once heard, a verse from the bible and a little sermon at the end (first taught to me by a teacher I respect)
The post shows in this order; the foolishness and absurdity of irresponsible skepticism, the willful ignorance of blind faith, and the last part - the bible verse teaches us what it really means to be human, our essence and the beauty of knowing. The glory of who we truly are in humility. It teaches us that pride - as C.S. Lewis put it - is at the root of all sin.

..........professing themselves to be wise, they became fools...... Romans 1:22 (Thanks Ola)

@Cyrexx and Ihedinobi, well done! but Ihedinobi you are really blessed oh! Your long-suffering with macdaddy is admirable sha.

I'll leave us with the following quote,

“A little science estranges a man from God. A lot of science brings him back.”
― Francis Bacon
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 12:21am On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
I'll leave us with the following quote,

“A little science estranges a man from God. A lot of science brings him back.”
― Francis Bacon

lol....The quote summarizes the thinking of a religionist;

appealing to authority.

Francis Bacons quote is an epic fail considering how scientists are mostly atheists/agnostics/skeptics. Furthermore, science puts reasoning before God.

A foolish quote is a foolish quote, no matter the speaker.
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 7:48am On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:
lol....The quote summarizes the thinking of a religionist;

appealing to authority.

Francis Bacons quote is an epic fail considering how scientists are mostly atheists/agnostics/skeptics. Furthermore, science puts reasoning before God.

A foolish quote is a foolish quote, no matter the speaker.
Wow shocked
@Macdaddy, let me ask you;

Could you describe for us exactly what you know logic to be.
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 21, 2012
I completely agree with you, Macdaddy, that Logicboy is an inappropriate name for you o. Macdaddy is way better since the name can be broken down into two understandable components though when they're joined together, one's at a loss as to their meaning.
It's a little like how you reason. The sum of the things you say usually is a wild tangle of conflicting facts. I'm sorry if I offend you by saying so. But it's my answer to your comment about my arguing for argument's sake. I don't do that.
I think that argument should be for the purpose of learning truth and trumping lies. This is why the very emotion generated by the perception of lies in an opposing argument should only serve as impetus for a logically correct rebuttal of that argument.
You know, the thing with the fanatic is that he refuses with vehemence to acknowledge any weakness in his position. He refuses to see the correct place of reason in his beliefs. You're a little like that with your atheism. You hold it like a prophet with his religion. Rather than clearly show that perceived failings of your position are no more than perceived, you insist on attacking the person that points them out. That is the problem with religion.
I have shown in another thread that that "thing" that the people who were first called Christians in Antioch, according to the Bible, is not a religion. It takes a very obstinate fool or profoundly ignorant and misguided person to make it so. Such people did and the result was all that terror and hurt you keep alluding to. Now, my question is, are you saying that because people like I have described did something so incredibly foolish, it is ok for you to do the same?
And, why do you insist on calling me a hypocrite? What grounds do you have for accusing me of hypocrisy?
Jọọ, if your emotions cannot help you establish some clear and coherent rebuttal to an argument, why bother na? It's really tiresome to keep dealing with all that anger you keep slinging about!
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Francis Bacons quote is an epic fail considering how scientists are mostly atheists/agnostics/skeptics.

See that bolded part? It's just another example of emotional argument. What statistics are you quoting to say that? And who came up with them and under what conditions? And how does the greater number of scientists being atheists/agnostics/skeptics (even were that true) negate Francis Bacon's submission?

You see, I am a scientist too. And I believe completely, unquestioningly in God. I have enormous respect for scientific principles and I endeavor to learn them and apply them. I completely agree with Francis Bacon because from everything I know of science, I have never seen it fail to uphold God's decrees. Every advance that we have made scientifically has only served to further vindicate God's place as God. Whether or not each person recognises this is a function of their spiritual sight. It matters not what color a flower is to a blind man, no?
As far as I'm able, I will help to push the frontiers of science. It was my Father (whose existence you doubt lol) that said that it is His glory to hide things and that the hidden things belong to the children. It is one of my greatest pleasures to discover the amazing treasures my Father has hidden everywhere in creation. As long as I live, I will seek them out because each one I find gives me some greater insight into His Character and Person and the greatness of His Love for me.
I wouldn't be too surprised or troubled if you don't understand or accept that.
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 10:53am On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi: I completely agree with you, Macdaddy, that Logicboy is an inappropriate name for you o. Macdaddy is way better since the name can be broken down into two understandable components though when they're joined together, one's at a loss as to their meaning.
It's a little like how you reason. The sum of the things you say usually is a wild tangle of conflicting facts. I'm sorry if I offend you by saying so. But it's my answer to your comment about my arguing for argument's sake. I don't do that.
I think that argument should be for the purpose of learning truth and trumping lies. This is why the very emotion generated by the perception of lies in an opposing argument should only serve as impetus for a logically correct rebuttal of that argument.
You know, the thing with the fanatic is that he refuses with vehemence to acknowledge any weakness in his position. He refuses to see the correct place of reason in his beliefs. You're a little like that with your atheism. You hold it like a prophet with his religion. Rather than clearly show that perceived failings of your position are no more than perceived, you insist on attacking the person that points them out. That is the problem with religion.
I have shown in another thread that that "thing" that the people who were first called Christians in Antioch, according to the Bible, is not a religion. It takes a very obstinate fool or profoundly ignorant and misguided person to make it so. Such people did and the result was all that terror and hurt you keep alluding to. Now, my question is, are you saying that because people like I have described did something so incredibly foolish, it is ok for you to do the same?
And, why do you insist on calling me a hypocrite? What grounds do you have for accusing me of hypocrisy?
Jọọ, if your emotions cannot help you establish some clear and coherent rebuttal to an argument, why bother na? It's really tiresome to keep dealing with all that anger you keep slinging about!

Wow, you talk a lot of nonsense. You conflate "atheism" with "anti-religion".

What emotions are you talking about? The hypocrisy on your part is to say that I would likely want to go and exterminate religious people because of my atheism when your religion has been doing that more than any other religion.
Re: The Skeptic by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Wow, you talk a lot of nonsense. You conflate "atheism" with "anti-religion".

What emotions are you talking about? The hypocrisy on your part is to say that I would likely want to go and exterminate religious people because of my atheism when your religion has been doing that more than any other religion.

My religion? Now that's extremely confusing. I'm totally unaware that I have a religion.

Geez! You're tiresome, dude!
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 12:37pm On Jul 21, 2012
Ihedinobi:

My religion? Now that's extremely confusing. I'm totally unaware that I have a religion.

Geez! You're tiresome, dude!

Sorry, i thought that you and Anony are brothers in christ.
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 12:40pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:
Sorry, i thought that you and Anony are brothers in christ.

Since when did following Christ become a religion?
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 12:43pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
Since when did following Christ become a religion?

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods

Ignorance is a disease.

Follower of christ = a religion. Fact
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 12:58pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

re·li·gion/riˈlijən/
Noun:
The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods

Ignorance is a disease.

Follower of christ = a religion. Fact

.......and only moments ago he was trying to divorce atheism from anti-religion.

By the way while you still have that dictionary, look up the word "relationship"
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 1:07pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:

.......and only moments ago he was trying to divorce atheism from anti-religion.

By the way while you still have that dictionary, look up the word "relationship"

Huh? When did atheism = anti-religion? Do all religions have gods? Are there not atheistic religions? Ignorance is your worst flaw.

As for "relationship", you are engaging in some invisble necrophilia. You can have a relationship with a dead person even Jesus.
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

Huh? When did atheism = anti-religion? Do all religions have gods? Are there not atheistic religions? Ignorance is your worst flaw.
How does this not contradict the definition of religion you gave?

MacDaddy01:
As for "relationship", you are engaging in some invisble necrophilia. You can have a relationship with a dead person even Jesus.
Sorry bruv, My Jesus is alive. sorry to hear that yours is dead.
Re: The Skeptic by MacDaddy01: 1:21pm On Jul 21, 2012
Mr_Anony:
How does this not contradict the definition of religion you gave?

grin grin grin. Nice observation there. But irrelevant. The point is that following christ is a religion. Once you follow or worship a god, it is a religion.

As for the contradiction, it has to do with the second definition of religion (which following christ still falls under)

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

Mr_Anony:

Sorry bruv, My Jesus is alive. sorry to hear that yours is dead.

Alive? Where is he? Is he walking up and down somewhere on earth? Alive means living. Jesus is dead.
Re: The Skeptic by MrAnony1(m): 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2012
MacDaddy01:

grin grin grin. Nice observation there. But irrelevant. The point is that following christ is a religion. Once you follow or worship a god, it is a religion.

As for the contradiction, it has to do with the second definition of religion (which following christ still falls under)

re·li·gion   [ri-lij-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects
Your definitions are still funny; number 1 firmly defines atheism as anti-religion. and number 2 defines nearly every organization as a religion.

Alive? Where is he? Is he walking up and down somewhere on earth? Alive means living. Jesus is dead.
Dude na wetin na. Why are you so obsessed with telling me that your Jesus is dead? Na me kill am for you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Effects Of Pre-marital Sex / Compare The Pictures Of Spirits Appearing In Places Of Worship / What Is The Skin Color Of Adam And Eve. And What Is The God's Complexion ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.