Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,658 members, 7,955,373 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? (856 Views)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Where Did You Meet Your Spouse? / Can U Pray 4 Ur Children To Av D Kind Of Spouse U R Married To. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by dein77(m): 8:05pm On Nov 18, 2014
I really find it worrisome when people oppose others' choice of spouse. It's really sad.

I knew how some of my relatives initially oppose my wife. All manner of selfish and narrow reasons where brought forward. I was really passed off. The worse is, it's even our sisters that make matters worse. My brothers never had any issues with my choice. They believed I was making the best choice. My elder sister was a serious stumbling block.

It's inconceivable why I won't be comfortable with anothe person's decision about whom to get married to. If I do, I must give very cogent and compelling reasons. Even at that, I will only pass it off as an advice to my brother or sister that's getting married.

Some people just can't allow others to live their lives. This is wrong!

Why do people usually oppose others' choice of spouse? The convincing when I give my people no be small!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by acenazt: 8:07pm On Nov 18, 2014
Its Because every one has his or her own taste.
Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by Nobody: 8:14pm On Nov 18, 2014
Instead of you to ask them why they are opposing. you came yer to complain. adonbilivit

3 Likes

Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by dein77(m): 8:18pm On Nov 18, 2014
Teempakguy:
Instead of you to ask them why they are opposing. you came yer to complain. adonbilivit

Dear, most of them do get good reasons. I have experience.
Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 14, 2016
lets talk about this issue, am passing through it right now
Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by mastermaestro(m): 7:17pm On Oct 14, 2016
cheesy Fantastic observation! Well let me outline a few reasons.

One, they are more rational than you in the particular circumstance. While your judgment has been beclouded and flawed by sexual and emotional fog, it isn't so with them.

Two, if the marriage turns out to be a disaster, they would be the ones to clean up your mess and carry your baggage. Nobody wants to be burdened in the future.

Three, they love you. They fear that they might 'lose' you to a possessive spouse, which is a possibility.

Four, where you are the breadwinner, everyone would show inordinate interest in your choice of spouse. Everyone would fight hard to make sure you do not go with a spouse that shows a tendency to cut them off from your feeding straw.

Five, the world is a community. You just cannot be an island! It's inborn in everyone to want to influence the decisions of others whether selfishly driven or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by mastermaestro(m): 7:43pm On Oct 14, 2016
It's a huge mistake to totally ignore observations of your loved ones concerning your choice of partner. Don't try to shut everyone out of your decision-making in this respect. If you do, you will regret it! I have a handful of married people suffering in marriage presently because they chose to decide alone by silencing all disagreeing voices. It's a heap of ruins they are immersed it now.

Of course the final decision rests upon you, but let others tell you what they see about it. A preacher friend of mine complains to me about his wife all the time. He regrets now that he didn't listen to his family when they told him how the woman would be a pain to him later in life. Today he comes to me anytime he needs solace and soothing words of comfort. He can't complain to any member of his own family about his marital ordeal.

Don't ascribe to yourself the role of the wisest man/woman in your family. Hear others out, your salvation could be wrapped up like akara in their 'silly' advice.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by babyfaceafrica: 8:59pm On Oct 14, 2016
mastermaestro:
cheesy Fantastic observation! Well let me outline a few reasons.

One, they are more rational than you in the particular circumstance. While your judgment has been beclouded and flawed by sexual and emotional fog, it isn't so with them.

Two, if the marriage turns out to be a disaster, they would be the ones to clean up your mess and carry your baggage. Nobody wants to be burdened in the future.

Three, they love you. They fear that they might 'lose' you to a possessive spouse, which is a possibility.

Four, where you are the breadwinner, everyone would show inordinate interest in your choice of spouse. Everyone would fight hard to make sure you do not go with a spouse that shows a tendency to cut them off from your feeding straw.

Five, the world is a community. You just cannot be an island! It's inborn in everyone to want to influence the decisions of others whether selfishly driven or otherwise.
six...they hate the lady!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People Enjoy Opposing Others' Choice Of Spouse? by Richy4(m): 11:08pm On Oct 14, 2016
Yea.. I know what you mean..... when my best friend an only son was only dating a certain girl.. I heard his sisters and mother was all over him because of the girl...simply because the girl worship at cherubim or whatever it was...but she wears white on Sundays anyways ... and that scares his sisters to hell....The mum was like when I said you should get serious with a girl, not someone on white...I couldn't help laughing each time me and my guys were chilling and that topic comes up those days smiley.....

(1) (Reply)

Ipad For Sale @ 25k / Marriage / Who Is Your Role Model Between Your Parent?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.