Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,403 members, 7,954,598 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 12:18 AM

Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users (3286 Views)

Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted / I Switched From Android To Iphone For Two Months. Here's What I Learned / Android Users Strictly-How to use Mtn's Unlimited Bis on your Droid...!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 19, 2014
Herrmes:
I don't mind the development, I don't care if security agents read my messages or not, I have nothing to hide.

Well not just security agents, originally whatsapp owners could easily monitor your chats data mine it and sell to ad agencies, but not anymore.

A lot of people where concerned Facebook the owners of whatsapp could snoop and feed you specific ads on your Facebook timeline based on your chats, but not anymore.

@Herrmes
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Herrmes: 1:35pm On Nov 19, 2014
u21day:

Well not just security agents, originally whatsapp owners could easily monitor your chats data mine it and sell to ad agencies, but not anymore.

A lot of people where concerned Facebook the owners of whatsapp could snoop and feed you specific ads on your Facebook timeline based on your chats, but not anymore.

@Herrmes
I haven't used Facebook in close to a year, I'm just speaking for myself I don't know about others but maybe I'll get concerned about the privacy of my conversation later.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 2:49pm On Nov 19, 2014
Herrmes:
I haven't used Facebook in close to a year, I'm just speaking for myself I don't know about others but maybe I'll get concerned about the privacy of my conversation later.

You don't need to use Facebook for your chats to be valuable to ad agencies, as long as you surf the web on your phone, your chats can be data mined for keywords, so that ad agencies can deliver specific ads to your phone when you browse.

for instance the Twitter app requires access to your text messages, for what reason you may wonder. They need it for data mining and to deliver specific content to your timeline, or sell to ad agencies.

Surely you have nothing to worry about.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 2:54pm On Nov 19, 2014
These guys r building whatsapp to become a product with a competitive edge so that when they start charging people for the use of the app, people won't really complain because of the security benefit attached to the app.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 3:34pm On Nov 19, 2014
prettyboi1989:
These guys r building whatsapp to become a product with a competitive edge so that when they start charging people for the use of the app, people won't really complain because of the security benefit attached to the app.

You maybe right, but certainly there are free options with encryption too, like bbm.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 3:43pm On Nov 19, 2014
u21day:

You maybe right, but certainly there are free options with encryption too, like bbm.
Whatsapp cuts across most platforms. U can use whatsapp without an active data subscription, but u'll need data to use bbm. Which do u fink ppl will opt for more?
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 19, 2014
prettyboi1989:

Whatsapp cuts across most platforms. U can use whatsapp without an active data subscription, but u'll need data to use bbm. Which do u fink ppl will opt for more?

Nope, you need an active data subscription to use whatsapp just like bbm, or line, or viber, or nimbuzz etc.

people who aren't keen on security would not be willing to pay, when there are alternatives that offer a similar service at no charge, and those who desire security at no cost will switch to any other service, threema, Sicher etc. all available on the three leading OS platforms.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 19, 2014
u21day:

Nope, you need an active data subscription to use whatsapp just like bbm, or line, or viber, or nimbuzz etc.

people who aren't keen on security would not be willing to pay, when there are alternatives that offer a similar service at no charge, and those who desire security at no cost will switch to any other service, threema, Sicher etc. all available on the three leading OS platforms.
Whatsapp works with credit man, if u using pay as you go where which users will be charged about 5kobo per kilobyte from their credit, exculsive to glo, mtn n etisalat. The only time it won't work is when the user isn't on that pay as you go plan. Those on the nokia asha platform can testify to that.
White folks are keen about security, so they will definately opt for something that suits their need. U can only measure the popularity of an app by the number of users on it, not just by the name. U mentioned some apps, how many people use them? U measure the usefulness of the app by the number of people who have access to it. In myspace and facebook which will u choose? U'd definitely pick facebook because of large user base.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Nobody: 4:29pm On Nov 19, 2014
prettyboi1989:

Whatsapp works with credit man, if u using pay as you go where which users will be charged about 5kobo per kilobyte from their credit, exculsive to glo, mtn n etisalat. The only time it won't work is when the user isn't on that pay as you go plan. Those on the nokia asha platform can testify to that.
White folks are keen about security, so they will definately opt for something that suits their need. U can only measure the popularity of an app by the number of users on it, not just by the name. U mentioned some apps, how many people use them? U measure the usefulness of the app by the number of people who have access to it. In myspace and facebook which will u choose? U'd definitely pick facebook because of large user base.

You are right in some areas, however what's the user base of whatsapp on asha phones? Android alone has over 500 million users.

When you say pay as you go, how do you mean? even when I don't activate a data plan, all my apps connect to the web, albeit at the expense of my airtime, it's not whatsapp exclusive neither is it carrier exclusive.
Re: Whatsapp Just Switched On End- To-end Encryption For Android Users by Xavier0980: 12:21pm On Feb 13, 2022
Wow that is a good news for Android Users also it is a good for those who are using this GB WhatsApp Apk.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Someone Should Explain This Message From GLO To Me (photo) / How To Fix Invalvid IMEI On MTK Android Phones / Operators Doubt 30% Broadband Penetration Target For This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.