Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,082 members, 7,821,722 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? (2455 Views)

Finally! The Pope Agrees With Muslims “Jesus Did Not Die At The Cross” / Faith-healer And Evangelist, Maurice Cerullo, Investigated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:33am On Nov 19, 2014
Does a "faith healer" heal with the same power as Jesus did on earth? Can they really heal?

http://www.gotquestions.org/faith-healers.html

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by WinsomeX: 10:58am On Nov 19, 2014
My answer to this was "NO" and thankfully the article confirmed it.

Chris Oyakhilome and his healing school may need to study this line in the article and learn from it:

"They (the sick) were not required to be pre-screened by the disciples before coming to Jesus for healing, as is the standard procedure with the healers today. There was no healing line they had to qualify for. Jesus healed all the time in many places, not in a studio with carefully-controlled circumstances."

5 Likes

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Image123(m): 11:03am On Nov 19, 2014
@OP,
Of course not.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 11:09am On Nov 19, 2014
IMPOSSIBLE..... Not the same power.

Some might heal through powers from the evil realm, the same way the witch doctor can. Most go by the way of gimmicks.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Candour(m): 11:14am On Nov 19, 2014
Hmmmm.......
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by vooks: 11:48am On Nov 19, 2014
Where is this question coming from? That famous verse in John

John 14:12 (American Standard Version - ASV)
12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.

What can possibly be more spectacular than defying gravity,turning water into wine,creating fish and bread for 5000,calming storms, raising the dead or healing the lame and blind? Jesus covered just about every imaginable facet of the miraculous. Matching that let alone exceeding is yet to be demonstrated in the entire 2000 years of Christendom.

But the question is whether the derogatorily labeled believers heal in the same power. The answer is. YES, just not close to half or a quarter of what Jesus demonstrated
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:23pm On Nov 19, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Does a "faith healer" heal with the same power as Jesus did on earth? Can they really heal?

Question: "Are faith healers for real? Does a faith healer heal with the same power as Jesus?"

Answer: There is no doubt that God has the power to heal anyone at any time. The question is whether He chooses to do so through those who are called “faith healers.” These individuals typically convince their audiences that God wants them to be well and that through their faith—and usually a financial offering—God will reward their faith by healing them through the power of Jesus.

By comparing the healing ministry of the Lord Jesus to that of the modern faith healers, we can determine whether their claims have any basis in Scripture. If, as they say, they heal through the same power and in the same way that Jesus healed, we should be able to see marked similarities between them. However, just the opposite is true. Mark 1:29-34 gives us a description of just one day of Jesus’ healing ministry. His power to heal—and to do all kinds of miracles—was evidence that He had power over both the physical and spiritual effects of the curse of sin. He healed those afflicted with physical diseases, illnesses, and injuries, even raising the dead, and He cast demons out of those who were possessed by them. Only God can rescue us from the results of the Fall of man into sin—disease and death—and by His miracles, Jesus proved His deity.

There are several distinctives in the way Jesus healed that are not characteristic of the modern faith healers. First, He healed instantly. Peter’s mother-in-law (Mark 1:31), the centurion’s son (Matthew 8:13), Jairus’ daughter (Mark 5:41-42), and the paralytic (Luke 5:24-25) were all healed immediately. They did not have to go home and start to get better, as is the advice from many faith healers. Second, Jesus healed totally. Peter’s mother-in-law was fully functional after being healed from an illness so severe she was bedridden, but when Jesus healed her, she rose immediately and prepared a meal for all who were in the house. The blind beggars in Matthew 20:34 were given instant sight. Third, Jesus healed everyone (Matthew 4:24; Luke 4:40). They were not required to be pre-screened by the disciples before coming to Jesus for healing, as is the standard procedure with the healers today. There was no healing line they had to qualify for. Jesus healed all the time in many places, not in a studio with carefully-controlled circumstances.

Fourth, Jesus healed actual organic diseases, not symptoms as the faith healers do. Jesus never healed anyone of a headache or back pain. He healed leprosy, blindness, and paralysis, miracles that were truly verifiable. Finally, Jesus healed the ultimate disease—death. He brought forth Lazarus after four days in the grave. No faith healer can duplicate that. In addition, His healings did not require faith as a precondition. In fact, most of those He healed were unbelievers.

There have always been false healers who prey on the suffering and the desperate in order to pad their bank accounts. Such behaviour is the worst kind of blasphemy because many whose money is wasted on false promises reject Christ outright because He does not do what the healer has promised. Why, if faith healers have the power to heal, do they not walk the halls of the hospitals healing everyone and releasing them all? Why do they not go to Africa and cure all the AIDS cases? They do not because they cannot. They do not have the power of healing that Jesus possessed.

Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/faith-healers.html#ixzz3JYHKEGxb
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 10:44pm On Nov 19, 2014
^^^undeniable truth charlatans behind pulpit and religious zealots might perhaps repudiate.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Nov 20, 2014
shdemidemi:

^^^undeniable truth charlatans behind pulpit and religious zealots might perhaps repudiate.

How can they repudiate that? undecided
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:38pm On Nov 25, 2014
I guess that the OP is a mouth stopper for the WOFs. cool
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:11am On Dec 10, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Can they? undecided
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Joshthefirst(m): 5:51am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:
Its nonsense actually. Jesus didn't always heal everyone. Jesus didn't always heal instantly. There's no balance in that excerpt. Unfortunately I'm too indisposed to post verses. Jesus went to a town where he could only heal but a few sick people. And he marvelled because of their unbelief.

I can actually predict the kind of person you are. A conservative, who has many words but no power. A man who knows nothing about the power of God to heal.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:01am On Dec 10, 2014
Don't be too quick to predict any thing, you could be wrong you know. Take time to present what the guide says so as not to be thinking or saying egregious imaginatuions of the mind.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:04am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:
Don't be too quick to predict any thing, you could be wrong you know. Take time to present what the guide says so as not to be thinking or saying egregious imaginatuions of the mind.
Take time to know about God and his love and his power before criticizing people who go about healing the sick and preaching the message that you do not.

Remember, He that answereth a matter before hearing is a fool.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Nobody: 6:05am On Dec 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:
Its nonsense actually. Jesus didn't always heal everyone. Jesus didn't always heal instantly. There's no balance in that excerpt. Unfortunately I'm too indisposed to post verses. Jesus went to a town where he could only heal but a few sick people. And he marvelled because of their unbelief.

I can actually predict the kind of person you are. A conservative, who has many words but no power. A man who knows nothing about the power of God to heal.
The bold is so true. The guy actually is a cessationist. For folks to claim, there is no such thing as faith and gifts of healing in the body of Christ today is not only laughable but preposterous. The guy actually hides under this impotence to tell us the Holy Spirit the administrator of these gifts is not present in the church today.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:11am On Dec 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:
Take time to know about God and his love and his power before criticizing people who go about healing the sick and preaching the message that you do not.

Remember, He that answereth a matter before hearing is a fool.

grin grin

How does one learn about God, His love and power?

What makes you think I don't preach the real gospel?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:13am On Dec 10, 2014
Bidam:
The bold is so true. The guy actually is a cessationist. For folks to claim, there is no such thing as faith and gifts of healing in the body of Christ today is not only laughable but preposterous. The guy actually hides under this impotence to tell us the Holy Spirit the administrator of these gifts is not present in the church today.

Good morning my dear brother.

why are you accusing a brother falsely, you have an agenda?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:16am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

What makes you think I don't preach the real gospel?

Common man. People who preach the gospel don't fight against it. They support it.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Nobody: 6:17am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

Good morning my dear brother.

why are you accusing a brother falsely, you have an agenda?
Why deny the obvious? Your posts are filled with unbelief.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:20am On Dec 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:
Common man. People who preach the gospel don't fight against it. They support it.

Hmm..Do you understand that there is one real message of Christ but millions of counterfeit and look alike messages?

should I accept the proponents of an adulterated message?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:22am On Dec 10, 2014
Bidam:
Why deny the obvious? Your posts are filled with unbelief.

Unbelief of what? Unbelief of who?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:24am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

Hmm..Do you understand that there is one real message of Christ but millions of counterfeit and look alike messages?

should I accept the proponents of an adulterated message?
No. You shouldn't. But you should get to the word and know the real message. The bible inspires love and faith and gets people healed and blessed.

And supporting that biased and nonsense excerpt is a sign you don't really know the bible. Or you've graciously fallen into denial and error.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:30am On Dec 10, 2014
^^^^
Who gives these healing and blessing?

Who has the power to heal and bless?

What is the gospel? Is it healing and blessing?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Nobody: 6:34am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

Unbelief of what? Unbelief of who?
Do you believe the mandate of Mark 16:15-18 is for believers and not ONLY the exclusive rights of the Apostles?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Joshthefirst(m): 6:37am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:
^^^^
Who gives these healing and blessing?

Who has the power to heal and bless?

What is the gospel? Is it healing and blessing?

I don't have time to argue.

But yes. The gospel of the kingdom is a gospel of love and salvation and healing and blessing and life. Throughout the new testament we see this. We see God blessing and blessing and giving and declaring people righteous who don't deserve it. That's the gospel. We don't deserve it, but he came to save us TO THE UTTERMOST. HE CAME TO BLESS US AND HEAL US BEYOND MEASURE.

I can only pray that you get to understand Gods message and live life to its full.

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 6:57am On Dec 10, 2014
Joshthefirst:
I don't have time to argue.

But yes. The gospel of the kingdom is a gospel of love and salvation and healing and blessing and life. Throughout the new testament we see this. We see God blessing and blessing and giving and declaring people righteous who don't deserve it. That's the gospel. We don't deserve it, but he came to save us TO THE UTTERMOST. HE CAME TO BLESS US AND HEAL US BEYOND MEASURE.

I can only pray that you get to understand Gods message and live life to its full.

grin grin

My brother, if you don't have time to comprehensively present facts through scriptures I don't think you should bother add anything in the first place.

Joshthefirst:
The gospel of the kingdom is a gospel of love and salvation and healing and blessing and life.

Are we in the kingdom now?

Why exactly do we HOPE for the advent of Christ?

Lets go on a short ride on this-

The Apostles asked Jesus the question about the kingdom, lets see what His response was.
Acts 1
6 So when the apostles were with Jesus, they kept asking him, “Lord, has the time come for you to free Israel and restore our [size=22pt]kingdom[/size]?”

Jesus replied saying-
Acts 1
7 He replied, “The Father alone has the authority to set those dates and times, and they are not for you to know.

Did you see that? That place where there will be health and wealth, no sorrow, no pain is not here, no not yet. That time will come at God's time. He went on to commision the Apostles saying-

8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. [size=26pt]And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere[/size]

At no point did he promise them health and wealth. The real gospel isn't about the kingdom but about the king, about the Lord, about Jesus. He is the way to that kingdom that is to come.

Joshthefirst:
HE CAME TO BLESS US AND HEAL US BEYOND MEASURE. .

Are you blessed and healed beyond measure?

What does it mean to be blessed and healed beyond measure?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 7:19am On Dec 10, 2014
Bidam:
Do you believe the mandate of Mark 16:15-18 is for believers and not ONLY the exclusive rights of the Apostles?
Mark 16

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover

Go through the history narrative in the book of Acts, you will sure find all of these prophecy come to fruition. We saw how invincible the Apostles seemed at one point. What they did was beyond the comprehension of the world.

These prophecies were not figurative but literal. They happened and they were recorded. Some how we have made these things to be figurative. We are wise enough to stay away from poison, we even react to less potent poison like food poisoning. Paul encountered a serpent and he came out alive, if a snake appears to you today, its needless to say what your reaction would be.

Jesus spoke of a particular time and to a particular people (Apostles) and not the present day christian.

Mark 16:14
Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat........

15 And he said unto them
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by Nobody: 8:19am On Dec 10, 2014
shdemidemi:

Mark 16

15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover

Go through the history narrative in the book of Acts, you will sure find all of these prophecy come to fruition. We saw how invincible the Apostles seemed at one point. What they did was beyond the comprehension of the world.

These prophecies were not figurative but literal. They happened and they were recorded. Some how we have made these things to be figurative. We are wise enough to stay away from poison, we even react to less potent poison like food poisoning. Paul encountered a serpent and he came out alive, if a snake appears to you today, its needless to say what your reaction would be.

Jesus spoke of a particular time and to a particular people (Apostles) and not the present day christian.

Mark 16:14
Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat........

15 And he said unto them
The mandate is not the exclusive rights of the 11 Apostles. If it is their right then you must be prepared to "shun all dubious claims" about preaching the gospel and baptism. Jesus gave the authorithy to the "church" He started with and after he left they exploded as they went publishing the word to every creature. It is for the church quite all right. I can prove it from scriptures. Paul wasn't part of the 11 yet he healed the sick and cast out devils. Philip wasn't either yet he did the same thing paul did.Signs ALMOST ALWAYS accompany those who go out preaching the good news to every creature. YOU have not yet preached the goodnews and that is why your ignorance and unbelief concerning the word of God is non existent in your life.

Just Go out there and preached the good news and you will see it in manifestation. It is the Holy Spirit sent from the Father that does the work not you. Yours is to obey the mandate and not hide under here criticising those who do. When they heal the sick and cast out devils you hide your impotence under the guise that they are false, fake or it is only the 11 jews with Jesus that have that kind of power....why...why...why

1 Like

Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 9:28am On Dec 10, 2014
Bidam:
The mandate is not the exclusive rights of the 11 Apostles. If it is their right then you must be prepared to "shun all dubious claims" about preaching the gospel and baptism. Jesus gave the authorithy to the "church" He started with and after he left they exploded as they went publishing the word to every creature. It is for the church quite all right. I can prove it from scriptures. Paul wasn't part of the 11 yet he healed the sick and cast out devils. Philip wasn't either yet he did the same thing paul did.Signs ALMOST ALWAYS accompany those who go out preaching the good news to every creature. YOU have not yet preached the goodnews and that is why your ignorance and unbelief concerning the word of God is non existent in your life.

Was Paul an Apostle? Was Philip an Apostle? Check your bible properly before posting anything.

Name one member of the congregation in church gathering that healed or wrought miracle in the whole of the bible.

Bidam:

Just Go out there and preached the good news and you will see it in manifestation. It is the Holy Spirit sent from the Father that does the work not you. Yours is to obey the mandate and not hide under here criticising those who do. When they heal the sick and cast out devils you hide your impotence under the guise that they are false, fake or it is only the 11 jews with Jesus that have that kind of power....why...why...why

You must be deluding yourself by blocking your mind from all sense of reasoning. You have this so called power and the sick are still among us. Don't get me started now.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by vooks: 9:39am On Dec 10, 2014
Agabus was not an apostle yet he was a prophet. If the gifts were reserved for the 12, nobody else could have exercised them. In the upper room we had 120 believers. ALL of them received the baptism.

There was death and disease even among the first century church. Yet that's the period you claim the spiritual gifts operated in. Why should there be a difference now?

shdemidemi:

Was Paul an Apostle? Was Philip an Apostle? Check your bible properly before posting anything.

Name one member of the congregation in church gathering that healed or wrought miracle in the whole of the bible.

Go and check the criteria

You must be deluding yourself by blocking your mind from all sense of reasoning. You have this so called power and the sick are still among us. Don't get me started now.
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by shdemidemi(m): 11:04am On Dec 10, 2014
vooks:
Agabus was not an apostle yet he was a prophet. If the gifts were reserved for the 12, nobody else could have exercised them. In the upper room we had 120 believers. ALL of them received the baptism.

Were we talking about prophecy here? we were talking healing and wonders according to-

Mark 16

vooks:
There was death and disease even among the first century church. Yet that's the period you claim the spiritual gifts operated in. Why should there be a difference now?

There was death and disease because the Apostles were empowered but not with absolute power. The Holy Spirit was the enforcer of the wonders, they were mere tools used to authenticate the power of God. However, no single man has been able to reproduce the sort of wonders the book of Acts recorded till date.

Is there a problem?

Why do we hear more claims than the actual wonder?

Why are the wonders we hear about today restricted to the four walls of the set of people making such claims?

Elijah was empowered not with absolute power hence why he ran away from Jezebel. So I am saying the apostles only latched on to the Spirit of God and not by their own desire.

As for you, tell me what is stopping you from visiting any hospital or morgue?
Re: Does A "Faith Healer" Heal With The Same Power As Jesus Did On Earth? by vooks: 11:51am On Dec 10, 2014
Tunnel vision. Whatever Mark is talking about is Pentecost and is what Paul expounds on in Corinthians and Ephesians else I will start asking where it is recorded that ANY disciple picked a scorpion

Nobody has 'absolute power' now or in the first century church. Did anyone claim to have such? Please bloviate in their direction

Why can't I visit morgue, the same reasons no apostle raised James or Jesus John the Baptist

shdemidemi:

Were we talking about prophecy here? we were talking healing and wonders according to-

Mark 16

There was death and disease because the Apostles were empowered but not with absolute power. The Holy Spirit was the enforcer of the wonders, they were mere tools used to authenticate the power of God. However, no single man has been able to reproduce the sort of wonders the book of Acts recorded till date.

Is there a problem?

Why do we hear more claims than the actual wonder?

Why are the wonders we hear about today restricted to the four walls of the set of people making such claims?

Elijah was empowered not with absolute power hence why he ran away from Jezebel. So I am saying the apostles only latched on to the Spirit of God and not by their own desire.

As for you, tell me what is stopping you from visiting any hospital or morgue?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ramzan 2016 Roza Timetable, Timings, Schedule, Prayer, Sehr O Iftar Times In Del / Are We Worshipping A 'White God'? / Checkout These Funny Bible Meme History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.