Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,756 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Myles Munroe: How Do You Reckon Miles? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Myles Munroe: How Do You Reckon Miles? (695 Views)

Myles Munroe, His Wife & Daughter Are Dead (Plane Crash) / Myles Munroe The False Teacher Dies / Dr Myles Munroe And His Wife Dead In Plane Crash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Myles Munroe: How Do You Reckon Miles? by sergii(m): 6:34pm On Nov 20, 2014
By morning of Monday 10 November 2014, the whole place was awash with the news of the tragic demise of Myles Egbert Munroe: pastor, leadership avatar and motivational wonk. I just found out he had been knighted by the Queen of England, and why not? For a man whose ministry inspired millions around the world, an OBE seems to me like minimum recognition. The global Church, reeling in shock, is still trying to come to terms with her loss. The man’s profile loomed large in life; in death, it’s about to get even larger.
Like many, I never encountered Myles in person and it adds to the measure of his stature that even his media presence was just as effective in diffusing his massive influence. I listened to an audio tape of one of his messages in 1993 and that inspired me to write one of the best songs in my repertoire. If there was ever an apostle of “purpose,” Myles it unarguably is. Testimonies pouring in from around the world corroborate this fact. If I had to make an honest entry in his condolence register, here is what I’ll write: “He fought a good fight; he maintained his course and kept the faith.” Sadly, his last flight wasn’t good as it failed to maintain course.
It is traumatic events like this that compel us not only to embrace our mortality but also give requisite attention to the pertinent question of what constitutes success in Christian life and ministry. “How far?” a decidedly Nigeria expression is a euphemism for enquiring into the success of any venture. How many miles was Myles supposed to cover? How far was he supposed to go? Can we reckon that Myles covered his miles? Evidently, even he couldn’t have provided conclusive answers to these questions. Only God who called and commissioned him can judge him fairly.
Yet we must reckon with the fact that people like Myles who are blessed with visibility and volubility will always be under intense scrutiny. Their every word and action will be thoroughly dissected and analysed both from within and outside the Church. Despite the deluge of glowing tributes that shows no sign of abating, Myles, like many among his Pentecostal cohort, was the object of scathing criticism. To be accused of heresy as a gospel minister is a big deal. One may not totally subscribe to the spirit behind these weighty allegations but casually dismissing them will be tantamount to throwing away the baby with the bath water. Here is how I think gospel ministers mostly of the Pentecostal persuasion get themselves enmeshed in doctrinal quagmires.
A pastor’s primary responsibility is the reconciliation of fallen humanity to a holy and loving God through the gospel. The gospel is the propitiatory death and subsequent resurrection of the guiltless Christ: paying, by supreme sacrifice, a debt he never owed on behalf of doomed humanity. The gospel is administered through the two-pronged instrumentality of the word of God and prayer.
Over the ages, the desperate and dysfunctional systems of the world have always attempted to draw servants of the gospel away from their primary focus. Each time a caring, charismatic figure bursts on the scene, there is always a well-orchestrated design to derail his focal purpose. Jesus fed thousands with bread and that was such a beautiful thing. In the eyes of many though, that singular compassionate act not only validated his prophet-hood, it became the signal to anoint him king so as to banish any possibility of lack of bread. And the mob was prepared to employ any and every means. Here is how Jesus responded to a threat that has continued to stalk many a minister: “Perceiving then that they were about to come and take him by force to make him king, Jesus withdrew again to the mountain by himself.” (John 6:15 [ESV2011]) Had Jesus caved in to the pressure, he would have ended up as another world renowned philanthropist far away from Gethsemane and Calvary. And he would have designed a doctrinal justification for bread-enabled salvation.

Sadly, many pastors have become heavily involved in many schemes which, though legitimate, fall way outside their primary assignment. In their desperate bid to impose compatibility on these disparate roles, they begin to engage in bizarre exegetical somersaults that engender needless controversies.
Naaman, ancient Syria’s army commander, though such a wonderful fellow, was a leper. He came in contact with Israel’s prophet, Elisha who cures him. This miraculous event also marked his spiritual turning point: he dumps the Syrian god, Rimmon to worship Jehovah. He then raises a pertinent issue bordering on conflict of allegiance. As army chief, he was under obligation to accompany the king into Rimmon’s temple; an act that would be in violation of his commitment to Jehovah. Elisha responded with words that were as brief as they were apt: “Go in peace.” (2 Kings 5:19 [ESV2011]) The fact that Naaman clearly identified the conflict but made no attempt at evasion or justification meant he was going to be faithful to his new pact with Jehovah.

Unfortunately, many truly called pastors today not only think they are at liberty to be whatever else they wish to, they take on these other roles with a vigour only reserved for the gospel. To improve the world politically, socially and economically is a noble thing but it is not the gospel. Man’s appetite is a bottomless pit that can never be satisfied. His needs are not only endless, they are constantly transmogrifying. To focus on them is to sign up for frustration and failure. Jesus knew better.

If Myles made any mistakes, it was in thinking he could take on the crushing burdens of a decaying world in addition to the onerous demands of the gospel. If he ever uttered anything remotely heretical, it must have been in his sincere and spirited attempt to justify his taking on the role of Hercules for a world that neither needs nor deserves one. So, once again: did Myles cover his ordained miles? I think he went much farther. He took on so much more than he was fitted for; and maybe those needless burdens eventually did him in.

Jesus knew the irreconcilable difference between offering the bread of life and running a bread-based social programme. His choice between the two was unambiguous. So should every gospel minister’s.

OLUGU OLUGU ORJI mnia
nnanta2012@gmail.com
oluguorji.

Re: Myles Munroe: How Do You Reckon Miles? by mooremedia: 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2014
I just read the last paragraph... cool

(1) (Reply)

The Official Thread For Shiloh 2014: Heaven On Earth! / Ex-Muslim Priest: All Muslim Must Change To Christian To Avoid Hell Fire. / Freedom Of Speech Has Limits - Pope Francis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.