Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:32 AM

Harassing North Korea For No Reason - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Harassing North Korea For No Reason (601 Views)

11 Everyday Activities That Are Illegal In North Korea. / Foreign Interference: Harassing Nigeria To Break It Up. / Iran Hate Isreal For No Reason (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Harassing North Korea For No Reason by panafrican(m): 2:32am On Nov 21, 2014
He just went there to look for trouble.

The Guardian
Thursday 20 November 2014 16.36 EST

For most people visiting North Korea, the prospect of being arrested during their trip is a source of some concern. But for 25-year old Californian Matthew Miller, it’s exactly what he hoped for.

“My main fear was that they would not arrest me when I arrived,” Miller told NK News in a series of interviews after he and fellow American Kenneth Bae were released during a high-profile visit to the North Korean capital by James Clapper, US Director of National Intelligence, earlier this month.

“I was trying to stay in the country,” said Miller. “They wanted me to leave. The very first night they said, ‘We want you to leave on the next flight.’ But I refused. I just did not leave.”

In April, North Korea’s state news agency KCNA announced that an American citizen had been detained at Pyongyang airport after apparently attempting to claim asylum. In a dictatorship without any independent media, which is known for its furious anti-US vitriol, verifiable facts were difficult to come by. But according to Miller’s account, North Korea’s version of events had been largely accurate.

On his flight from China to Pyongyang, Miller had intentionally damaged his tourist visa. Fifteen days later, after a series of run-ins with Pyongyang authorities, he was removed from his tourist hotel and detained.

The general consensus among North Korea analysts was that Pyongyang would welcome the chance to use Miller as a pawn in its diplomatic wrangling with the US, as it continues to defy international sanctions against its nuclear programme, and widespread criticism of the regime’s human rights abuses. But Miller says it was only after much persuasion on his part that authorities finally took him in.

Finally, at a show trial in September, he was sentenced to six years of hard labour for entering the country illegally and committing “hostile acts” against the state – a charge he now describes as both true and false.

"They wanted me to leave. The very first night they said, ‘We want you to leave on the next flight.’ But I refused. I just did not leave

His plan had involved much preparation. Originally from the city of Bakersfield, Miller says he had been dissatisfied with the western media’s reporting on events in the pariah state, and had decided to arrange a trip to see the country for himself.
Read the whole story @
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/20/-sp-north-korea-matthew-miller
Re: Harassing North Korea For No Reason by gatiano(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2014
that is how the devils go around mischievously, lieing, murdering and stealing, it is their nature to go around looking for trouble by planting demon-cracy. demon's rule.
panafrican:
He just went there to look for trouble.

(1) (Reply)

Tanzania Expels Foreigners Without Permit / Obama Won't Disclose Spy Agency Budgets / Obama's Policies Directly Responsible For Orlando Massacre - John Mccain

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.