Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,420 members, 7,819,516 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:27 PM

Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia (1207 Views)

Islamic Indonesia Fights Against The Jilboob (tight Hijab) / An Islamic Perspective Of The World Muslim Beauty Pageant Innovation / Obabiyi Aisha Ajibola Wins Muslim Beauty Pageant In Indonesia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Trailblazer1(m): 12:10pm On Nov 21, 2014
eclectic mix of women from around the world will compete in the finale of a pageant exclusively for Muslims in Indonesia Friday, seen as a riposte to Western beauty contests.

The women, who include a doctor and a computer scientist, are set to parade in glittering dresses against the backdrop of world-renowned ancient temples for the contest in the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country.

However the 18 finalists are required to wear the Muslim headscarf and will be judged not only on their appearance, but also on how well they recite verses from the Koran and their views on Islam in the modern world.

“We want to see that they understand everything about the Islamic way of life — from what they eat, what they wear, how they live their lives,” said Jameyah Sheriff, one of the organisers.

The World Muslimah Award first drew global attention in 2013 when organisers presented it as a peaceful protest to Miss World, which was taking place around the same time on the resort island of Bali.

While it remains popular in some countries, British-run Miss World has faced frequent accusations that it is degrading to women, and a round in which contestants pose in bikinis has been a lightning rod for criticism.

In an effort to appease hardliners, Miss World organisers axed the bikini round for the Bali edition, but the event still sparked demonstrations from Islamic radicals who dubbed it a “LovePeddler contest”.

– ‘Headscarves not scary’ –

British contestant Dina Torkia said she hoped this year’s World Muslimah Award would not only provide a contrast to Western beauty pageants, but would also dispel prejudices against Islam.

“I think the most important thing is to show that we are really normal girls, we are not married to terrorists. This scarf on my head isn’t scary,” she told AFP.

However the 2014 pageant has faced challenges, with seven finalists dropping out and others struggling with Indonesia’s complex bureaucracy to obtain visas.

Most who pulled out did so because their families did not want them to travel alone, Sheriff said.

The Indian contestant missed her initial flight as she was being questioned by officials who were suspicious of a woman travelling alone and wearing a headscarf, although she managed to get on a plane later.

Others have gone to great lengths to take part in the fourth edition of the event, with Masturah Binte Jamil quitting her teaching job in Singapore after her employer would not give her time off to participate.

Organisers hope to present positive role models for Islamic women around the world and the contestants, who are aged between 18 and 27, include a computer scientist from Tunisia and a newly qualified doctor from Bangladesh.

But not everyone was enjoying the final rounds, with Britain’s Torkia saying her initial optimism had turned into disappointment.

“I came into this competition hoping that I would leave with my faith increased, but so far it’s been a lot about promotion and media and looking nice,” she said.

Friday’s finale caps a lengthy process, which included an online audition followed by two weeks of events in Indonesia.

During their time in Indonesia, contestants have visited orphanages and nursing homes, and had their pictures taken at Borobudur, a famous Buddhist temple close to Yogyakarta, Java’s cultural heart.

The finale takes place on a stage against the backdrop of Prambanan, a ninth-century complex of Hindu temples on the island of Java that is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Hosting the event at a Hindu site was a conscious decision to show that Muslims are accepting of other religions, organisers said.

http://www.punchng.com/news/indonesian-muslim-pageant-challenges-western-beauty-contests/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Sorry I had to post this here, cos I don't want to see some incantations appearing on my profile.

With this atleast I can say Islam is peace, but only in their world.
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Trailblazer1(m): 12:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
Please and please, no insults
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by donmalcolm21(m): 2:51pm On Nov 21, 2014
This is funny
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by maclatunji: 2:57pm On Nov 21, 2014
This rubbish has started again.

Beauty contest is beauty contest and there is nothing Islamic about it.

2 Likes

Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 22, 2014
maclatunji:

Muslims are going to follow them pace by pace, handspan by handspan until if they enter the hole of a lizard, muslims will follow. We have been already informed by alAmeen.

How truthful you were O my beloved prophet of Allah.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Fundamentalist: 11:48am On Nov 25, 2014
Abuamam:

Muslims are going to follow them pace by pace, handspan by handspan until if they enter the hole of a lizard, muslims will follow. We have been already informed by alAmeen.

How truthful you were O my beloved prophet of Allah.

when i see things like this, i just feel like, ARE MUSLIMS NOT READINGS BOOKS OF HADITHS?
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by hakibro: 10:36am On Nov 26, 2014
may Allah save us all. .
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Alima2(f): 5:20pm On Nov 26, 2014
maclatunji:

Beauty content in Islam, dont know what to say lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed,
But i believe the Qur'an has told women how to dress,
If truly all muslimah are veiled how will the contest be possible?

A Nigerian (Ayisah from university of Ibadan) was crowned as the world Muslimah 2013
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by maclatunji: 11:50pm On Nov 26, 2014
Alima2:

Beauty content in Islam, dont know what to say lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed,
But i believe the Qur'an has told women how to dress,
If truly all muslimah are veiled how will the contest be possible?

A Nigerian (Ayisah from university of Ibadan) was crowned as the world Muslimah 2013

I believe you mean University of Lagos.
Re: Muslims Organizes World Islamic Beauty Pageant In Indonesia by Alvelt14(m): 2:25pm On Nov 27, 2014
I reserve my comment

(1) (Reply)

Gusau In Zamfara Struck By Serious Plague After People Desecrate The Koran(pics) / Happy Ramadan / Is Piety The Only Beauty?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.