Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,549 members, 7,770,423 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:31 AM

Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal (2777 Views)

21 Tell Tale Signs Of Emotional Abuse in marriage / Emotional Abuse / Men: Please Can We Talk About Verbal, Mental And Emotional Abuse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by r231(m): 7:39am On Nov 23, 2014
Home Secretary Theresa May is expected to announce new powers which will put psychological abuse on a par with physical violence.

It will criminalise for the first time those who use controlling behaviour, as well as violence, to subject their partners to a life of misery.

A person convicted of "coercive control" could face a 14-year prison sentence.

Ministers hope the new law will encourage much earlier reporting by victims who, on average, do not contact police until they have suffered 30 incidents of domestic abuse.

Police receive a domestic abuse call every 30 seconds, according to research by the Home Office and the Women's Aid charity.

Research also shows 1.2 million women a year are victims of domestic abuse and two are week are killed by a partner or ex-partner.

Campaigner Harry Fletcher, director of the charity Digital-Trust, said: "The main reason women don't report incidents to police is a lack of confidence in the judicial system and a real fear that the behaviour of the perpetrator might escalate as a result of doing that.

"The police tend to just deal with the incident that happened that day, rather than looking at the totality of the behaviour often going back many years."

The new law is expected to come into force before next year's General Election

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/reforms-emotional-abuse-illegal-060128669.html[left][/left]

1 Like

Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
r231 pls ive banned, Nairaland/General. Pls kindly help, thanks.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Oahray: 5:56pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nice... I hope this isn't one of the laws built on the assumption that the woman is always the victim.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by cococandy(f): 6:01pm On Mar 18, 2015
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Vyolet(f): 6:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nice development most times emotional or verbal abuses are always worse than physical abuse.

I hope the law won't favor women only as there are men that go through emotional abuse too but too weak to voice out.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by freecocoa(f): 6:15pm On Mar 18, 2015
Nice development.

I just hope it won't be a one sided thing.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by greatgod2012(f): 8:54pm On Mar 18, 2015
@op, i'm sure this isn't in Nigeria, but we also need it seriously i Nigeria too.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by dinachi(m): 10:42pm On Mar 18, 2015
It is an excellent development and it shows that emotional and verbal abuse is being also recognized as evil as physical abuse. So women and men who are good at insulting their spouses will know that times have changed. Nice one!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by bukatyne(f): 12:08am On Mar 19, 2015
Nice, but it would be more difficult to prove

1 Like

Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Nobody: 5:45am On Mar 19, 2015
I'm curious to know how emotional abuse will be proved. So, they gon lock someone up for giving their spouse silent treatment or shedding crocodile tears? These oyinbos done gone loco.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Nobody: 6:22am On Mar 19, 2015
Nigeria ke? lipsrsealed

Where physical abuse is so rampant and no one does shiit about it, you're talking about endorsing this law for emotional abuse.

greatgod2012:
@op, i'm sure this isn't in Nigeria, but we also need it seriously i Nigeria too.
Re: Reforms To Make Emotional Abuse Illegal by Nobody: 6:23am On Mar 19, 2015
@op, good development.

(1) (Reply)

Why We Stop Over At Beer Parlours – Abuja Men / Please I Need Help Urgently. / Please Pray For This Pregnant Woman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.