Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,653 members, 7,827,414 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:38 AM

A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. (855 Views)

Introduction To BFS "Blue Petroluem" Reducing CO2 / Lethal Tanzanian Lake That Turns Animals To Stone / Discover How You Can Easily Convert Any Generator's Engine To Run On Water And D (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by Suntemi(m): 10:35am On Nov 23, 2014
Despite all the efforts to the contrary, it's an uncomfortable truth that our world mostly still runs on oil, made from dead little creatures and pumped from under the ocean. So a machine that could generate oil, without the need for drills or rigs or pipelines, just by combining hydrogen and CO2, sounds quite attractive.

Manufactured by Germany company Sunfire, the key element is the Fischer-Tropsch process, which turns carbon monoxide and hydrogen into liquid hydrocarbons. To get from having water and CO2 to having hydrogen and carbon monoxide, there are a few steps: firstly, the water is turned into steam, and the oxygen and hydrogen separated in solid oxide electrolyser cells. The hydrogen is then used to reduce CO2 down to carbon monoxide, which is combined with hydrogen to give some sweet, sweet hydrocarbons.

The process isn't quite as magical as it sounds, as it requires quite a lot of electricity in the first place, in order to turn water into steam. But at the moment, Sunfire is claiming that the whole process is about 70 percent energy efficient — much better than conventional diesel or petrol engines.

In terms of scale, one of the machines pictured above, which costs "seven figures", can produce about a barrel of fuel per day, while recycling 3.2 tonnes of CO2. On that basis, it's going to take a hell of a lot of machines (and cash!) to meet our demand for fossil fuels — the US alone averages 18 million barrels per day.

http://gizmodo.com/this-machine-turns-water-and-co2-into-petrol-1662123469

Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by acenazt: 10:43am On Nov 23, 2014
excuse me o.p is it Water and CO2 to Fuel or Petrol cos there is no way that I know of or heard of Oxygen and Carbon di oxide turning to Hydro carbons.
Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by Nobody: 10:48am On Nov 23, 2014
Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by Nobody: 12:29pm On Nov 23, 2014
High tech
Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by Suntemi(m): 8:50pm On Nov 23, 2014
Lol. Too early sis.
Lizzylobito:
Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by Suntemi(m): 8:58pm On Nov 23, 2014
acenazt:
excuse me o.p is it Water and CO2 to Fuel or Petrol cos there is no way that I know of or heard of Oxygen and Carbon di oxide turning to Hydro carbons.

even in math, 2 + 2 can equals 5 provided it can be proven. Maybe if you mix them well, you can get petrol too.
Re: A Machine That Turns Water And CO2 into Petrol. by martinsmartest(m): 6:39pm On Nov 27, 2014
acenazt:
There is a possibility of it ,if the product of combustion of hydrocarbon can be a reversed I.e
C2H6 + O2 <=> CO2 + H2O
If the machine can reverse dis reaction turning the products into reactant to give a product that is the reactant of the above equation....

(1) (Reply)

Mystery Of The Black Hole / Lots Of Usa Used Bb Bold5 @ib / Meet The $300,000 Rolls Royce Dawn Convertible For Young Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.