Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,428 members, 7,958,280 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 11:49 AM

Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? (1242 Views)

Boy Who Slept With A Girl He Met For The First Time Now Finds It Hard To Urinate / I Don't Sleep For Hours After Waking Up To Urinate At Night / Prostate Cancer: How Frequent Do You Urinate At Night ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by KonceptzOnpoint(m): 2:50pm On Nov 27, 2014
Fainting while urinating standing up, particularly just after waking, is quite common for men.
The medical term is micturition syncope. Micturition is the tecnical term for "emptying the bladder" and syncope the term used for fainting as a result of reduced blood flow to the brain.
When you sleep you have a lower than normal blood pressure because your veins are dilated due to lowered nerve activity. When you get up at night to pass water, the nerves should "kick in" and cause the veins to contract and push up your blood pressure.
When you pass water, the nerve stimulation involved in relaxing the bladder sphincter and contracting the bladder may lead to a fall in blood pressure, even in "normal" people.
In micturition syncope the blood pressure doesn't normalise fully when the person gets up, and when that person then starts to pass water he passes out.
The best would be to have your blood pressure taken, to make sure that you don't have an irregular heartbeat and that you aren't anaemic and that there are no underlying diseases.
Other factors that could cause micturition syncope include dehydration, excessive alcohol intake, medical conditions such as a respiratory infection and the use of certain medications, including alpha blockers that improve urination in men with prostate problems.
If a man has micturition syncope, he should just remember to sit on the bed for 1-3 minutes before walking to the bathroom. It's also a good idea to urinate sitting down.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Nov 27, 2014
Micturition/post-micturition syncope and vasovagal
syncope must have something to do with the brain receiving unclear information or something...and sending even more messed-up information in return...lol...I'm no doctor, though.
Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Nov 27, 2014
Great info op, what about orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension)? Both genders should be made aware, I use a rule of thumb with all my patients to take a few minutes before rising up to avoid falling.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 27, 2014
Wow. learnt something new today.
Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by Elcemento(m): 3:33pm On Nov 27, 2014
Wow....Interesting.No wonder i always feel dizzy when doing the do. cheesy cheesy Thanks OP for this info.

CHECK OUT MY SIGNATURE!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by RoyalPriesthuud(m): 7:44pm On Nov 27, 2014
Issorait.
Re: Why Do Some Men Faint When They Urinate At Night? by Osyxcel(m): 9:28pm On Nov 27, 2014
So people do faint when they urinate at night? shocked shocked shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

Dangerous Orgasm! / The Journey Of The Missing N1.9bn Ebola Fund / Say No To Quackery In Nursing!!! Quackery Must Stop!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.