Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,801 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:12 PM

What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics (18771 Views)

Do Jehovah’s Witnesses Worship Jesus Christ? / Man Shoots At Jehovah Witnesses For Visiting / Jehovah's Witnesses: the only true religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by piplord1(m): 11:42pm On Nov 29, 2008
I read it in their books, journals and articles. WITNESSES HAVE SOME SERIOUS BEEF FOR CATHOLICS AND THEIR BELIEFS. It really beats me because i think we should be one christian body as our Lord would have wanted.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by slimfine(f): 11:05pm On Dec 18, 2008
everyother church not just WItness has issue with catholics becuase catholics pray to mary (rosary) when the bible condemns repetitive prayer and stictly highlights that you can only get to God through his Son Jesus christ. they may say that they are honoring mary but the attension giving to her takes the place of our heavenly father and God says that he is a jealous God. Secondly, the priests are not very good role models as some of them engage in sexual immorality. they have this purgatory state which will be another topic for another day. I was once a catholic
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 19, 2008
catholics ask mary to pray for them,you pentecostals ask your pastors to pray for you .b/w mary and your pastors who is closer to Jesus.Let me state here that Mary is not the only one venerated in the catholic church .Not less 1000 saints are venerated in the church of which mary is regarded as having the greatest intercessory powers.Mind you veneration of saints is practised by over 70 percent of christians including catholics,anglicans,lutherans and eastern orthodox christians

3 Likes

Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Lady2(f): 8:53am On Dec 19, 2008
I would appreciate it if people who were never catholic would stop saying "I was once a catholic" in order to validate their statements. If one were once a Catholic they would know the correct teaching of the church, instead of falsele spreading things. If you didn't understand the church's teachings clearly state so.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 9:02am On Dec 19, 2008
Any christian denomination hating on the catholic church is tantamount to biting the hand that feeds you grin grin grin.
Afterall they are the ones that compiled the bibles y'all live and die by.
Bunch of idiots!!!
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by thetruth90: 9:37am On Dec 19, 2008
~Lady~:

I would appreciate it if people who were never catholic would stop saying "I was once a catholic" in order to validate their statements. If one were once a Catholic they would know the correct teaching of the church, instead of falsele spreading things. If you didn't understand the church's teachings clearly state so.

well said.

Dios:

Any christian denomination hating on the catholic church is tantamount to biting the hand that feeds you grin grin grin.
Afterall they are the ones that compiled the bibles y'all live and die by.
Bunch of idiots!!!

fact.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nimshi: 9:41am On Dec 19, 2008
Interesting question. Here's an answer:

1) Jehovah's Witnesses (henceforth, JWs) rose to some prominence in the 1920s or earlier by railing against "organized religion". The Catholic Church offered a ready target. The Catholic Church is the face of "official" Christianity, with the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, being the recognized head.

2) Because the Catholic Church is big and occasionally in the news, sometimes for good, and at other times for bad, JWs find the Catholic Church an attractive target.

3) JWs claim to not be involved in politics (one of their interpretations of being no part of the world), and because the Vatican is by itself a State having ambassadors like regular countries do around the world, JWs find a perfect example of the mixture of religion and politics, hence, a fodder for good attack.

4) Another motivation: the Catholic Church offers the largest pool of recruits for JW propaganda, masked behind "bible studies" and bible-based discussions. When JWs point to the ills of the Catholic Church, JWs also advertise their own brand of Christianity as the real article.

JWs believe that they have the correct understanding of scripture, and that all other Christian denominations are fake, and that JWs are the one and only true religion. JWs teach that everyone not part of them will not survive Armageddon. A strange, hypocritical bunch, these JWs, if you knew them well enough.

1 Like

Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 11:21am On Dec 19, 2008
Nimshi:

Interesting question. Here's an answer:

1) Jehovah's Witnesses (henceforth, JWs) rose to some prominence in the 1920s or earlier by railing against "organized religion". The Catholic Church offered a ready target. The Catholic Church is the face of "official" Christianity, with the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, being the recognized head.

2) Because the Catholic Church is big and occasionally in the news, sometimes for good, and at other times for bad, JWs find the Catholic Church an attractive target.

3) JWs claim to not be involved in politics (one of their interpretations of being no part of the world), and because the Vatican is by itself a State having ambassadors like regular countries do around the world, JWs find a perfect example of the mixture of religion and politics, hence, a fodder for good attack.

4) Another motivation: the Catholic Church offers the largest pool of recruits for JW propaganda, masked behind "bible studies" and bible-based discussions. When JWs point to the ills of the Catholic Church, JWs also advertise their own brand of Christianity as the real article.

JWs believe that they have the correct understanding of scripture, and that all other Christian denominations are fake, and that JWs are the one and only true religion. JWs teach that everyone not part of them will not survive Armageddon. A strange, hypocritical bunch, these JWs, if you knew them well enough.

Don't single out the JWs, all of you are birds of the same feather.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nimshi: 11:39am On Dec 19, 2008
Dios:

Don't single out the JWs, all of you are birds of the same feather.

This discussion is about JWs and Catholics; and, who's the "you" in your asinine submission? You can't tell birds from a hole on your face, so what's it with the feathers?
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2008
Nimshi:

This discussion is about JWs and Catholics; and, who's the "you" in your asinine submission? You can't tell birds from a hole on your face, so what's it with the feathers?

LOL, you mad? YOU is all christians, JWs,Catholics, Baptists,Evangelicals,Pentecostal, Anglican and the rest of YOU. YOU included.
Yea, YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU lmfao
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Lady2(f): 1:17pm On Dec 19, 2008
Dios:

LOL, you mad? YOU is all christians, JWs,Catholics, Baptists,Evangelicals,Pentecostal, Anglican and the rest of YOU. YOU included.
Yea, YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU lmfao

Truthfully JW's are not considered Christian. They can parade with the Bible all they want but as long as they deny the divinity and humanity of Jesus they are not Christian, they even go so far as to deny the Lord's prayer, stating that God's Kingdom has already come so there's no need for "thy kingdom come" as Jesus states in the Lord's prayer.

I am not one to start telling people who's christian and who isn't if they actually believe truly in Christ. But these people, omgoodness, they don't.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nimshi: 5:19pm On Dec 19, 2008
~Lady~:

Truthfully JW's are not considered Christian. They can parade with the Bible all they want but as long as they deny the divinity and humanity of Jesus they are not Christian, they even go so far as to deny the Lord's prayer, stating that God's Kingdom has already come so there's no need for "thy kingdom come" as Jesus states in the Lord's prayer.

I am not one to start telling people who's christian and who isn't if they actually believe truly in Christ. But these people, omgoodness, they don't.

JWs do not deny the divinity of Jesus the Christ.

And while they claim that Jesus has been ruling (in/from heaven) since 1914, the establishment of God's Kigndom on earth is something yet for the future.

Dios is clearly a drooling slowpoke.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:14pm On Dec 19, 2008
I think all protestants like to attack catholics, they see them as the idolators, the ones who cannot pray well, and many other things. In all fairness I think the catholic church is a big and quite positive force in the world of christianity, even though they prefer to stick with tradition I think they do so quite wisely.
Jw's on the other hand, puhleez!
Hopefully like the catholics say,
Agnus dei, qui tollis peccata mundi; dona nobis pacem.
cheesy
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Chrisbenogor(m): 6:15pm On Dec 19, 2008
I think all protestants like to attack catholics, they see them as the idolators, the ones who cannot pray well, and many other things. In all fairness I think the catholic church is a big and quite positive force in the world of christianity, even though they prefer to stick with tradition I think they do so quite wisely.
cheesy
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by bindex(m): 7:41pm On Dec 19, 2008
Chrisbenogor:

cheesy

That is a very good observation.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 8:38pm On Dec 19, 2008
Nimshi:

JWs do not deny the divinity of Jesus the Christ.

And while they claim that Jesus has been ruling (in/from heaven) since 1914, the establishment of God's Kigndom on earth is something yet for the future.

Dios is clearly a drooling slowpoke.

And you are clearly a retard. smiley
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by slimfine(f): 3:18am On Dec 20, 2008
@ Lady,

Talk of someone who has no idea what she is talking about. JW prays our lords prayer and they never beleived that the kingdom has already come. the new kingdom is what we are praying for thouuuuu

by the way, do you catholics not pray to mary, saints, cross to name but a few so what are you questioning my knowledge in catholicism? did you ever went to block Roesery? I was the secretary of my center at Aba under CKC, went through Catechism for holy communion, and confirmation, was a member of Region of Mary, and jr Charismatic society. so please, I got my share of catholicism.

is unbeleivable that the same bible you catholic claim to have written says that you should not make false image when you pray to God (exodus 20:4-6), yet you people go contrary to that. the same bible tell us that you can only pray to God through Jesus, yet you people pray to mary to deliver the message.

I wonder which God you people are worshiping.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by timmy1977: 10:17am On Dec 20, 2008
But really I wonder where Dios and the others got their warped ideas from.

Now let me ask you these questions. You say you believe in Christ and the witnesses don't, then why do you pray to God through the innumerable saints you worship in the Catholic church and not through Christ even when it says so glaringly in the scriptures while the witnesses do? Why do you not go from house to house and from place to place preaching the message about God and his Kingdom which by the way were paramount in Jesus messages while on earth (and you say you represent Jesus, believe in him and recite the Lord's prayer)? Did Jesus preach a clergy/laity class distinction in his Church as the Catholics practice? Did he condone or practice violence in any form as the Catholic church has done in their numerous 'holy' crusades? Was he willing to be a king when asked to be it a neutral state? Do you even consider your own works like the Catholic Encyclopedia which trace practices like Christmas, birthdays and the rest of them to pagan rites and origins? In fact do you even consider your own Bible? There are still many more but answer these.

Please get your facts straight before posting messages here.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 10:58am On Dec 20, 2008
Seriously, who do
timmy1977:

But really I wonder where Dios and the others got their warped ideas from.

Now let me ask you these questions. You say you believe in Christ and the witnesses don't, then why do you pray to God through the innumerable saints you worship in the Catholic church and not through Christ even when it says so glaringly in the scriptures while the witnesses do? Why do you not go from house to house and from place to place preaching the message about God and his Kingdom which by the way were paramount in Jesus messages while on earth (and you say you represent Jesus, believe in him and recite the Lord's prayer)? Did Jesus preach a clergy/laity class distinction in his Church as the Catholics practice? Did he condone or practice violence in any form as the Catholic church has done in their numerous 'holy' crusades? Was he willing to be a king when asked to be it a neutral state? Do you even consider your own works like the Catholic Encyclopedia which trace practices like Christmas, birthdays and the rest of them to pagan rites and origins? In fact do you even consider your own Bible? There are still many more but answer these.

Please get your facts straight before posting messages here.

First, I don't believe in your christ.
Who do you think put the bible together?
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by slimfine(f): 11:21pm On Dec 21, 2008
@dios,

Constantine (roman emperor) and some other people put (not wrote) the bible together and deleted severally parts of it. By the way constantine was a pagan. He put the bible together so that everyone will have one form of worship and if you were not in agreement to this new book, he kills you off. He was a big time politician and just like any politician, he did not care so much about God (yaweh).

So spare me with all these "Roman catholic wrote the bible" crap
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Lady2(f): 11:55pm On Dec 21, 2008

LOL, I see you still remember your latin.

slimfine:

@ Lady,

Talk of someone who has no idea what she is talking about. JW prays our lords prayer and they never beleived that the kingdom has already come. the new kingdom is what we are praying for thouuuuu

by the way, do you catholics not pray to mary, saints, cross to name but a few so what are you questioning my knowledge in catholicism? did you ever went to block Roesery? I was the secretary of my center at Aba under CKC, went through Catechism for holy communion, and confirmation, was a member of Region of Mary, and jr Charismatic society. so please, I got my share of catholicism.

is unbeleivable that the same bible you catholic claim to have written says that you should not make false image when you pray to God (exodus 20:4-6), yet you people go contrary to that. the same bible tell us that you can only pray to God through Jesus, yet you people pray to mary to deliver the message.

I wonder which God you people are worshiping.

And all these can be gotten online, so please don't come here with that crap. It is very evident you were never a Catholic,  Like I said if you didn't understand the belief all you had to do was ask. If you don't understand the Bible all you gotta to do is ask.

DO you even know the rosary? what does it consist of? What makes the rosary prayer? How is it done? What does one do when praying it? And then tell me how it contradicts the Bible, tell me how unchristian it is.
Let's see if you were truly catholic.

slimfine:

@dios,

Constantine (roman emperor) and some other people put (not wrote) the bible together and deleted severally parts of it. By the way constantine was a pagan. He put the bible together so that everyone will have one form of worship and if you were not in agreement to this new book, he kills you off. He was a big time politician and just like any politician, he did not care so much about God (yaweh).

And how my dear do we know what books were supposed to go into the Bible. WHy do you accept the Bible today? How do you know those were the authentic books? WHy do you consider it the word of God? Afterall there are plenty other books that were written. If the Church is insignificant and downright evil why is it you accept its canon? Why do you accept as authority what the Church has defined over the ages?

Look if you don't know how to show respect to authority, simply keep shut.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Lady2(f): 12:06am On Dec 22, 2008
@ Chris

I have a joke for you, my priest said it this morning. Hopefully you will get it.

A priest was invited to a protestant Church to speak of Mary. They said we want to know about this Mary that you love so much, but we don't want you to do any of your Catholic stuff, so no rosary this and rosary that. Just stick to the Bible.
So the priest got on to the altar, and asked everyone to open their Bibles and mark Luke 1:28 and Luke 1:42

So he begins to read he said first Luke 1:28 And when the angel had come to her, he said "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee, Blessed art thou among women."
then he said let's go to Luke 1:41 Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit and cried out 42. "Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb!"

Then he said I am done. Case closed.

I almost fell out of the pews with laughter, everybody just bursted out laughing. He was told not to bring the rosary and yet he did.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Chrisbenogor(m): 3:04am On Dec 22, 2008
Lol if only they knew eh cheesy
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Lady2(f): 3:46am On Dec 22, 2008
Now let me ask you these questions. You say you believe in Christ and the witnesses don't, then why do you pray to God through the innumerable saints you worship in the Catholic church and not through Christ even when it says so glaringly in the scriptures while the witnesses do?

Get your false misconceptions about the catholic church and shove it up somewhere. We say ALL our prayers through Christ Our Lord, so don't come here making noise as if you are actually somebody. Did you miss the passages about intercessions in the Bible? It's in James go and look it up. The saints pray to God, guess who Jesus is? Yup that's right, God.

Why do you not go from house to house and from place to place preaching the message about God and his Kingdom which by the way were paramount in Jesus messages while on earth (and you say you represent Jesus, believe in him and recite the Lord's prayer

If the Catholic church did not spread the gospel through its missions you wouldn't be a JW today so bow and show respect to those that came before you.
By the way you guys are nothing but a nuisance to society, knocking on our doors at 6am, we don't want you. Stop bothering us. Go and do some charity work please.
But if knocking on doors is what you want, don't worry we have the legion of Mary for that, YES SLIMFINE THE LEGION ON MARY NOT REGION OF MARY, GET IT RIGHT.

Did Jesus preach a clergy/laity class distinction in his Church as the Catholics practice?

YES HE DID, INFACT HE PRACTICED IT. HE APPOINTED APOSTLES. Instead of leaving it up in the air for anyone to grab, he actually designated those who were to carry out the job. So yes he did. Check your Bible, even the apostles did, they were all ordained through the laying on of hands.

Did he condone or practice violence in any form as the Catholic church has done in their numerous 'holy' crusades?

It is because of those 'holy' crusades that you are not screaming Allahu Akbar, so say thank you.

Was he willing to be a king when asked to be it a neutral state?

who is a king? And I thought Jesus is King.

Do you even consider your own works like the Catholic Encyclopedia which trace practices like Christmas, birthdays and the rest of them to pagan rites and origins?

Um I don't go by the catholic encyclopedia so it is not my works. Practice of Christmas is not pagan, go and find out why Christmas is celebrated on the day it is celebrated. Infact let me tell you. The calendar you use today is the Gregorian calendar by Pope Gregory. Christmas is celebrated on Dec 25th because that is supposed to be the longest day of the year. The days get longer as it appraoches December 25th and Christ is the light of the world, so what better day than the day of more light to celebrate the Light of the world. What's wrong with celebrating birthdays, will u die from it? infact it helps u keep track of how u should be growing, so u won't be an adult and speak like a dunce. Maybe you didn't know, but you are not Jewish, everyother people were pagans, so yup you were pagan. HAHA

In fact do you even consider your own Bible?

Infact you can come to us, and we can tell you the actual interpretations of the Bible, afterall we did write and compile it. Yup the apostles were catholic, get with it.

1 Like

Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Kuns: 4:42am On Dec 22, 2008
So, if christians are fighting each other which ones are telling the truth among them.

A house divide against itself will fall. Christianity is a dying and fading religion, that why these so-called christians are confessed and fighting amongst themselves.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by SeaGoddes(f): 6:25am On Dec 22, 2008
yes the JW really do have a problem with the Cath. church i remember one day when the JW preacher  that goes to people home came to me preaching as they always do and then after that they asked me to change from my church catholic church and start coming to theirs claiming it is where salvation lies, though i couldn't believe it i just ask them to kindly go, i was born a catholic, raised a catholic and will die a catholic.

i guess almost all other churches has issue with the cath. church cause they see it as a greater force yet to be defeated, so they try all methods of craps to destroy their good names, starting with how catholics worship idols, do this and do that.

we don't worship idols, we pray to them to help us present our problems to God. not that God wouldn't answer us directly it is just that they have won a favor with God which makes them more closer to God than us sinners on earth. just like when you want to talk to president of a country like US, you don't just pick the phone and dial and talk to the Pres. directly someone very close to the president has to relay your message to the pres. which makes more quickly for him to get to you.   Catholicism is old of the oldest Christianity founded by Christ himself, so whether you like it or not nothing on this planet earth will tear down the good name of the church. so other churches can whip all they want catholic  church is here to stay.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 7:10am On Dec 22, 2008
@slimfine. Did you even read what you wrote!!!
Constantine and "some other people",ok.
slimfine:

@dios,

So  what you're a saying is that, a Pagan "put your bible together" and deleted several parts of it in order to use it to control the populace under the threat of murder if you don't follow his one form of worship. grin grin grin grin grin

You just shot yourself in the foot. grin This is too funny grin
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nobody: 8:24am On Dec 22, 2008
plesae constntine did not select the books in todays bible.they were selected by two church councils, synod of hippo and the local council of carthage presided over by st Augustine of hippo
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 8:37am On Dec 22, 2008
chukwudi44:

plesae constntine did not select the books in todays bible.they were selected by two church councils, synod of hippo and the local council of carthage presided over by st Augustine of hippo

So you're saying the catholics did it. grin
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Kuns: 9:00am On Dec 22, 2008
Catholics are the mothers of christianity , all other demonisation or denomination are sect (cults) that broke off from Catholism.

All other christian demonisation are sect or cult because they broke off from the source and origin of christianity which as we know it is Catholism.
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 22, 2008
we can trace the history of the catholic church to the last living apostle.All the early christians were Roman catholics.If the catholic church was not the church left behind by the apostles,whatb happened to the church left by the apostles?
at what year did the catholic church take over?
Re: What Do Jehovah's Witnesses Have Against Catholics by Dios(f): 11:58am On Dec 22, 2008
chukwudi44:

we can trace the history of the catholic church to the last living apostle.All the early christians were Roman catholics.If the catholic church was not the church left behind by the apostles,whatb happened to the church left by the apostles?
at what year did the catholic church take over?

I thought the followers of jesus were jews therefore making the 12 disciples the first christians. Or were they romans. undecided
Will you xtians get this story straight?

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Ways To Live A More Spiritual Life / Would Mary Have Been Chosen To Be The Mother Of Jesus If She Wasn't A Virgin? / A Muslim Man In Egypt Killed His Wife Because She Was Reading The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.