Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,327 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:53 AM

The Ake Festival You Will Not Hear About - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Ake Festival You Will Not Hear About (468 Views)

Help Get Back Ake By Wole Soyinka / “Ake Festival Is About Arts And The Representation Of People Whose Work We Push” / The Next Voice You Hear... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Ake Festival You Will Not Hear About by Feanad: 6:04pm On Nov 28, 2014
If you expect that the first thing anyone “visiting” an arts and book festival requires is a brain, you expect wrong, very wrong. All you need a brain for is to stay alive and when comment/question time comes, to maybe add –ness in front of an everyday word, to give your meandering submission/question a sheen of erudition (e.g versusness = opposition). The jokes are pretty easy to catch, social media has normalized shit like “shit” and “Bleep” so much that they are like Che Guevara shirts, and if poetry not about pounding ngalame drums is read, you can simply let it out the other ear till you encounter it on the page, where contemplation may require much more than trying to catch what the Bleep the reader is saying in the first place.

In the run-up to the Ake Festival, someone tweeted that the most important requirement at such a festival was the condom (the tweeter is obviously male), as writers can be very “expressive” people. I dismissed it at the time as an idiot aiming for humour. Boy, was I wrong. And given that literary festivals conglomerate literary groupies (easy prey, in the grand scheme of things), I wonder why I dismissed in the first place.

Read the rest of the article here on http://nantygreens.com/ake-festival-will-not-hear/

(1) (Reply)

Something New / The Unemployed Youth / Ileri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.