Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

The Next Voice You Hear... - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Next Voice You Hear... (8894 Views)

30 DAYS OF POETRY,DAY2 "If You Hear Say I Dey Prison" Pics Inside / Can You Hear My Heart? / Do Human Beigns Have An Expiry Date? Hear God's Answer: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 9:18pm On Jul 29, 2014
As inspired by George Sumner Albee.
All right's reserved.
Enjoy.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2014
At exactly 9.38pm on the first Monday in August the strange, majestic voice was first heard over the air. Just why that day and hour were chosen nobody can say. As was expected, the immediate reaction was disbelief. People simply could not believe their own ears.

Chinedu Ofili of Onitsha, Anambra State, was sitting in his parlour playing with his son Mathew’s playstation and listening to the latest music release from Cool Fm on the radio. Suddenly the music faded out and the voice, deep, gentle, benevolent but firm, said:

This is God. I’m sorry I must interrupt you. A plan of Creation ought by rights to go forward under its own rules, but you, dear children of the Sun’s third planet, are so near to destroying yourselves that I must step in. I shall spend this week with you.

Chinedu stood for a moment, his mouth hanging open in shock.

“This yeye boy wants to do me April fool in August!” He thought,

He marched angrily to his son’s room. Matthew was sitting at his table, agonizing over algebra assignments.

“What did you do to the radio?” demanded his father.

“Me? Nothing o! Is it spoilt?”

Chinedu was deeply puzzled. He went out to see his neighbor Mr. Eze and knocked on the door. Mr Eze opened.

“Sorry bros,” Chinedu said, “Were you listening to Cool FM just now?”

“No,” Mr Eze replied. “I was watching DBS.”

“Then you wouldn’t have heard it then.” Chinedu muttered and turned to leave.

“Wait o, did you hear the voice too?” asked Mr Eze in astonishment. “My screen went blank and a voice just started talking about staying with us for a week! Ha, the thing fear me oh, my brother!”

Onitsha was not the only town that felt wonderment. By morning the news reports from all over Nigeria, then Africa, Europe, Asia, South America and Australia were in, and it was public knowledge that the broadcast had been worldwide and multilingual. Yorubas heard it in Yoruba, Japan in Japanese and South African tribesmen in Shi Ronga dialect. It had been heard in every radio, television, personal computer, laptop and phone.

“What do you think of it?” One man would ask another. Never were the humble words “I don’t know” spoken more often than that first Tuesday in August. A Guardian newspaper editorial writer risked a guess: probably a practical joker in the cable headquarters had hooked all the trans-continental circuits and satellites together for a few seconds.

The Sun went down. By eight the ammeters in the power stations were registering increased loads as listeners switched on. Television screens became mini-oracles for families to gather round and people who didn’t have power or generators willingly paid huge sums to have their phones fully charged and functional. Nor were they disappointed. Exactly at 9.38pm, the serene, friendly voice spoke again:

to be continued...

5 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 9:26pm On Jul 29, 2014
pls comments are welcome.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by JeffreyJamez(m): 9:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
RoYver!!!!!.......you don Start again abI lol

Madt intro!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by 3Dimension: 9:37pm On Jul 29, 2014
Roy I've missed u. *No homo*

2 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by sacrono: 9:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
shey na royver? *follows Immediately*

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Donlino(m): 9:41pm On Jul 29, 2014
Hmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by shaboti: 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2014
*follows* contunu..

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by eunisam: 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2014
it seems u have something serious. Let me take my seat and occupy.

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by shaboti: 9:46pm On Jul 29, 2014
hope u havnt forgotten NINA o

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 9:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
one more update and I'm done for the night
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by phemswag: 10:02pm On Jul 29, 2014
Yes! I dey first row dis time!

Kai! Oga! Shift your head abeg if you no wan see God face to face.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by eunisam: 10:02pm On Jul 29, 2014
Royver: pls comments are welcome.
role on na

2 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:03pm On Jul 29, 2014
Royver: one more update and I'm done for the night

The world never end na Royver.... shuoo!!
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Following!!!

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by rofemiguwa(f): 10:14pm On Jul 29, 2014
Honeyyy u r back ! Missed u. Sticking with u like glue

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2014
Exactly at 9.38pm, the serene, friendly voice spoke again:

Do not be afraid. I only want to convince you that I really am God and that I am visiting you this week.

This time, direction finders, hackers,police authorities and even the FBI and INTERPOL took a hasty fix as they all tried to track the source of the transmission. But no sign of trickery was discovered. The Vatican, suspected by some, was tentatively absolved.

On Wednesday, the newspapers gave page after page to the voice. The unanimous views of those scientists who could be reached for comment – some of them seemed to be in hiding- was that the voice was a man’s. A teacher of diction from Cambridge University insisted, from the accent, that the man was Massachusetts-born.

“If it were actually God speaking,” pointed out a professor of logic, "he would not find it necessary to use these electronic equipments."
"

Ministers of the Gospel were more reserved in their statements. “Even if the voice be not the Lord’s,” said an Anglican Bishop, “It reminds us of something too many of us forget. God is here with us.” Some pastors of smaller mushroom churches for some strange undisclosed reason closed up their congregations and went back to attending the Pentecostal churches they had originally broken out from.

Wednesday Prayer meetings across Nigeria were enthusiastically attended, most churches had installed radios or huge flat screen TVs. The third utterance consisted of only three words. To the indignation of those who believe God must be somber and funereal, the words were delivered with a fatherly chuckle. They were:

It is I.

Like the others, the third message somehow crept into the coils, condensers and motherboards of every electronic gadget in operation, including those of ships at sea that were designed for code and did not even have microphones. This suggested a possible answer to why God was using the radio. A pronouncement out of the empty sky might have caused panic. But people were used to hearing voices on the radio or television or over the internet. The Lord was being considerate.

His knowledge of human psychology was superb (This is not surprising when one comes to think of it.) the very brevity of his “It is I” message went far towards convincing those who had a liking for modesty and understatement.

On Thursday, another device was employed: a display of miracles for the ignorant and the superstitious. Miracles occurred about 50miles apart all around the globe. Most were modest affairs. Oranges in the Hobart Street Market in Fond du lac, Winsconsin, rolled up the wall and spelt out the words, “Men and women are my sons and daughters, and therefore brothers and sisters” in a pretty frame of worker ants. A lion in the Ibadan zoo got out of his cage, strolled along the roadside until he spied some goats and sheep in a field, and deliberately lay down with them. In the senate and house of assembly, there was an uproar as money paid into their accounts that day repeatedly found their way into the bowls of beggars and the pockets of laborers. Every single common Nigerian with a pocket, a wallet or a handbag had theirs full to the brim with naira notes that replenished themselves whenever the owner spent from it. A plane that had run out of fuel midair and begun to crash, remained suspended in midair above Ikeja main market until fire engines thrust extension ladders for the passengers aboard to climb down.

These miracles, small though they were, had a wildly infuriating effect upon many persons who had not seen it as any of their business to take not of the gentle voice on the radio. At an emergency senate/executive meeting called by the president of Nigeria, there was a near riot, with members hurling insults like “Thief! Armud ruobber! Wey our moni?!” back and forth and charging one another with a betrayal of rationalism and revolution. 7 senators from different districts resigned their posts immediately, a first for that honourable house.

The angriest man in America was Walter P. Valerian of New York, president of the association for the Advancement of Iconoclasm and Atheism. He summoned members of his association for a world conference in New York to stage a protest.

To be continued….

3 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by SexySapphire(f): 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2014
I thought the world hasn't ended yet, now we are hearing God's voice. I would av been glad if dis were to be real cos we need God's intervention in dis world of today.

Nice one Royver. Anticipating more

2 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Royver(m): 10:44pm On Jul 29, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

The world never end na Royver.... shuoo!!
and sexysapphire, dont worry, I havent forgotten the other thread. this is a short story, Like an interlude smiley

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by SexySapphire(f): 10:50pm On Jul 29, 2014
Royver:
and sexysapphire, dont worry, I havent forgotten the other thread. this is a short story, Like an interlude smiley

Tnx for not forgetting us and giving us somtin new to read. God bless u.
By the way, I see JeffreyJamez on every thread I open. It won't surprise me to also find kingphillip in here tomao. These two guyz too dy read, they are practically everywhere
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by PrinceAdepoju(m): 10:54pm On Jul 29, 2014
#following#

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2014
SexySapphire:

Tnx for not forgetting us and giving us somtin new to read. God bless u.
By the way, I see JeffreyJamez on every thread I open. It won't surprise me to also find Kingphillip in here tomao. These two guyz too dy read, they are practically everywhere

When you lead the kind of life I live,reading would be fun lol

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by alizenbohr: 11:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
Royver:
…Some pastors of smaller mushroom churches for some strange undisclosed reason closed up their congregations and went back to attending the Pentecostal churches they had originally broke out from.

Now this got me laughing hard
"The FEAR of the Lord..."

Following this story till the end.
Welldone Royver.

2 Likes

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by ghostwritter(m): 11:38pm On Jul 29, 2014
In Beyonce's voice
"I WAS HERE"
Nice level of creativity.

1 Like

Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Coldfaya(m): 3:45am On Jul 30, 2014
Back to readership of Royver's bam works! Nice one boSs
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by TemitopeDaniel(m): 4:21am On Jul 30, 2014
Following.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by JigsawKillah(m): 8:02am On Jul 30, 2014
Royver what haveyou done to me? Which gum are you using? I'm so glued to this! Rhyde on Boss

SAW
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Marcela04: 9:05am On Jul 30, 2014
He is here again. Nice 1, i go dey follow follow u.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by tohero(m): 10:08am On Jul 30, 2014
Royver, if I am told you are from another planet I will surely say YES! I knew, he is supernatural.

Greetings to every1 in Tapa lang.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by drollster(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2014
Royver. Love your sneaky, subtle sense of humour. Some lines got me laughing real hard.

Good job.
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by chii8(f): 1:37pm On Jul 30, 2014
Ah!!!fear don dey catch me ooo,mak i go do small confession give my hubby before it wl be announced world wide oo.

Buh i used to knw one Ofili family in Onitsha sha
Re: The Next Voice You Hear... by Joyicy(f): 2:59pm On Jul 30, 2014
following silently.....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Que Sera, Sera (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / TÉLLÀ ( A Paranormal Story) / Enid Blyton's Novels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.