Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:55 PM

Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria (34204 Views)

Human-like Species Discovered In South Africa (Photos) / Kenyan Men Chase & Capture Cheetahs, That Were Killing Their Goats / Baby Elephant Cries For Five Hours After Mother Tried To Kill Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by othenok(f): 3:48pm On Nov 29, 2014
Wow, nice one. Thought they ve all been hunted and eaten.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by popson1st: 3:51pm On Nov 29, 2014
seunlayi:
[size=38pt]WHY CAN'T WE USE THIS TECH TO TRACK DOWN THE CHIBOK GIRLS OR BOKO HARAM ACTIVITIES ?[/size]

But will you go to the forest to set up the cameras?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 4:46pm On Nov 29, 2014
ThaProphet:

Would love to go on such a field trip. I wanted to visit the Omo Oluwa Shasha forest (sp.) this year when I visited but there was no information available on how to plan a visit and I wasn't prepared to venture into such an unknown and unexplored forest on my own. I will eventually get to see these elephants some day.

It's not surprising that Nigerians don't know that there are elephants in the country. Forest elephants are very elusive and Nigeria is not really big on nature and conservation.
Please which state is the forest located? Local Government too
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
MissMeiya:
Wowwwww. Man I love Nigeria the country, it's just the people... undecided

DO SHUT UP ALREADY
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Applaner: 5:47pm On Nov 29, 2014
invisible camera picking de wrong pixs since 1770.

y can't it pick boko haram wit deir bombs
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by cooljude(m): 6:15pm On Nov 29, 2014
wow. Never knew that jungle Elephants still recide in Nigeria. They must be preserved because i know that they are highly endangered and most people here don't give a F*** about all this magnificent creatures.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by vislabraye(m): 6:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
I heard elephants used to be in Lagos, around OKokomaiko area.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by jmaine: 6:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
saxywale:

A lot of people including myself thought they were extinct in SW Nigeria.

They are still around but very elusive, it takes a miracle to even have a sighting grin. Am sure that is an adaptation against those poachers who were always on their trail.

The closest you can see is their droppings, other than that Na serious ultimate search things cheesy . . .
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 6:36pm On Nov 29, 2014
Akinmail:

DO SHUT UP ALREADY

Conscience pricking you?
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by ThaProphet(m): 7:02pm On Nov 29, 2014
Obiagelli:

Please which state is the forest located? Local Government too

I believe it borders 3 states. The name, Omo-Oluwa-Shasha actually comprises of 3 forest reserves with the three names.

The Omo forest reserve is in Ogun state/Onto

The Oluwa forest reserve is in Ondostate

and I believe the Shasha forest reserve is in Osun state.

I am sorry, I can't really help with the local government areas. My knowledge is limited to states only unfortunately. My little knowledge of the area also contributed to my inability to get information about visits to the reserves.Apparently, one of them used to be well developed with residential facilities in the form of shacks and cabins.

I am sure that the Nigerian Conservation Foundation can provide that information if you contact them.

There is an initiative to preserve forest elephants. It is called the "Omo-Shasha-Oluwa Forest Elephant Initiative"

Thats pretty much all I know about these forest reserves. Are you looking to visit the reserve? If you do find out more information about visiting the place, kindly alert me please.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 7:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
ThaProphet:

I believe it borders 3 states. The name, Omo-Oluwa-Shasha actually comprises of 3 forest reserves with the three names.

I am sorry, I can't really help with the local government areas. My knowledge is limited to states only unfortunately. My little knowledge of the area also contributed to my inability to get information about visits to the reserves.Apparently, one of them used to be well developed with residential facilities in the form of shacks and cabins.

I am sure that the Nigerian Conservation Foundation can provide that information if you contact them.

There is an initiative to preserve forest elephants. It is called the "Omo-Shasha-Oluwa Forest Elephant Initiative"

Thats pretty much all I know about these forest reserves. Are you looking to visit the reserve? If you do find out more information about visiting the place, kindly alert me please.

Thanks so much
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:39pm On Nov 29, 2014
SaiBuharii:
Topics like this, don't interest Nigerians. We need beta current issues. Thank you. #GMB2015.

#VoteTHESENATORforHouseofRep2023-AbeokutaSouth
Speak for yourself. I don't watch football and am not married at 31. so jump off the bridge
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:40pm On Nov 29, 2014
SuperModerator:
Elephant, highly elusive
well, at least, any one who faces it will only be lucky to tell the story...so i guess it is forced elusion. Same goes for Pythons and lions
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
pongwa:
I experienced these elephants last year February during an independent field work exercise around sasha forest reserve area. omo no be small thing, the fear wen I get no allow me take pictures
do tell...nice to know
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:44pm On Nov 29, 2014
seunlayi:
[size=38pt]WHY CAN'T WE USE THIS TECH TO TRACK DOWN THE CHIBOK GIRLS OR BOKO HARAM ACTIVITIES ?[/size]
maybe because nobody has the balls to go behind enemy lines to plant the cameras...aka, who will bell the cat?
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2014
Adminisher:
Bush elephants in SW Nigeria is almost unbelievable. This fp stuff.A team needs to capture a few, attach tracking devices and map the entire herds so that we can better understand their life patterns. For those who are saying it is not a relevant topic therein is why Oyinbo will always be better then the black man.
anything black man captures is either a witch or bush meat
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 8:59pm On Nov 29, 2014
IAMGEJ:
Not every fu*king topic should make FP ni undecided undecided undecided undecided
Team no nonsense ###
I support u bro

1 Like

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by ThaProphet(m): 9:04pm On Nov 29, 2014
Obiagelli:

Thanks so much

No worries. Glad I could help.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by balogundayo(m): 9:22pm On Nov 29, 2014
i wish Nigerians promote things like this..buh hell no...threads with tonto dikeh always recieve the highest views...

1 Like

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 29, 2014
hey youngman are trying to sell me? elephant? southwest? just within two days in southwest u saw elephant did u hav P.hD in animal scence? supposed.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by olumidazz: 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
Op is this new to you.... obviously u no get dstv for house
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by pongwa(m): 10:06pm On Nov 29, 2014
ThaProphet:

try south of dabongbo area of osun state.

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by pongwa(m): 10:10pm On Nov 29, 2014
gmyguy:
do tell...nice to know
e no funny o.... first we saw the footprints, told our guide then about it and he said we shouldnt ply that route. we disobeyed and we almost paid with our lives. thank God I'm alive to tell d story sef
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 10:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
pongwa:
e no funny o.... first we saw the footprints, told our guide then about it and he said we shouldnt ply that route. we disobeyed and we almost paid with our lives. thank God I'm alive to tell d story sef
sorry if i may inquire...what were you doing in the jungle in the first place?
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by EmekaBlue(m): 10:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
NICE
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 29, 2014
If these people talking ish about elephant know the value of elephant tusks....they'll probably be heading to that forest this night. But, am not in support of that though, besides, its not beans to kill an adult male elephant
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by aauwalu80: 10:29pm On Nov 29, 2014
its bettr if Nigerian govt go use such king camer to detect. BH not an elephnt. instead of making noise in d media discusin rubish evry sec.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by ThaProphet(m): 10:37pm On Nov 29, 2014
[quote author=pongwa post=28456598][/quote]

Many thanks. Will keep that in mind next time.

How was your field trip to the Shasha forest by the way? Besides the elephants, any other interesting animals? Did you access the forest through Dagongbo as you suggested?

I can ask questions forever but I'll stop here.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by TeetoEsq(m): 10:43pm On Nov 29, 2014
[color=#990000][/color]Big lie
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by KruggerINC(m): 11:59pm On Nov 29, 2014
Scope of the highest order!
Dem just bring any picture dey claim say NA naija.
First of all Elephants inhabit savanna regions and not Rain Forests like we have in the south west.
Secondly since when did we have such wildlife lovers that are ready to go and plant sensor /infra Red cameras in the deep forest?
If this NA Naija make I suspend for air
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Litmus: 1:28am On Nov 30, 2014
dhammyg:
NAIJA DOSEN'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE THE BEST USE OF OPPORTUNIES.IN A SANE COUNTRY THE ANIMALS WOULD BE PRESERVED AND TAKEN CARE OF.WHILE THE PUBLIC CAN PAY MONEY TO COME AND SEE THEMsmiley

NAIJA WHYsad

undecidedHmmm that's like saying, 'in a sane country, all the free growing fruit trees would be cut down so no one can get access to free fruits and so have to go to super markets to buy fruits grown by farmers'

which of course is the situation in the West - to a large extent - and one of the odd things about capitalism
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by lekanville: 1:48am On Nov 30, 2014
SaiBuharii:
Topics like this, don't interest Nigerians. We need beta current issues. Thank you. #GMB2015.

#VoteTHESENATORforHouseofRep2023-AbeokutaSouth
Please speak for yourself, some of us are lovers of wildlife

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See What A Nairalander Invented 6 Years Ago. (photos) / China: Birth Of The First Cloned Primates / Texas: Dinosaur Tracks From 113 Million Yrs Ago Discovered After Severe Drought

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.