Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,945 members, 7,956,565 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:08 PM

Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria - Science/Technology (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria (34328 Views)

Human-like Species Discovered In South Africa (Photos) / Kenyan Men Chase & Capture Cheetahs, That Were Killing Their Goats / Baby Elephant Cries For Five Hours After Mother Tried To Kill Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by lekanville: 2:16am On Nov 30, 2014
IAMGEJ:
Not every fu*king topic should make FP ni undecided undecided undecided undecided
N evertihing about politics should make FP, rite?
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by IAMGEJ(m): 3:29am On Nov 30, 2014
No, everything about GEJ should make FP grin grin grin
lekanville:

N evertihing about politics should make FP, rite?
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Onegai(f): 7:25am On Nov 30, 2014
ThaProphet:

I believe it borders 3 states. The name, Omo-Oluwa-Shasha actually comprises of 3 forest reserves with the three names.

The Omo forest reserve is in Ogun state/Onto

The Oluwa forest reserve is in Ondostate

and I believe the Shasha forest reserve is in Osun state.

I am sorry, I can't really help with the local government areas. My knowledge is limited to states only unfortunately. My little knowledge of the area also contributed to my inability to get information about visits to the reserves.Apparently, one of them used to be well developed with residential facilities in the form of shacks and cabins.

I am sure that the Nigerian Conservation Foundation can provide that information if you contact them.

There is an initiative to preserve forest elephants. It is called the "Omo-Shasha-Oluwa Forest Elephant Initiative"

Thats pretty much all I know about these forest reserves. Are you looking to visit the reserve? If you do find out more information about visiting the place, kindly alert me please.

Thanks for this info. I've never heard of it. Sadly, Ivory is still sold illegally in Nigeria. We may have to look for a Conservation group to follow up and help with funding for them.

If you do get any info on planned tours and visits, please let me know. Very interested.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by spinna: 7:58am On Nov 30, 2014
here's an interview with the guys that took the pictures . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eidg8iTolrU
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by ThaProphet(m): 9:50am On Nov 30, 2014
Onegai:

Thanks for this info. I've never heard of it. Sadly, Ivory is still sold illegally in Nigeria. We may have to look for a Conservation group to follow up and help with funding for them.

If you do get any info on planned tours and visits, please let me know. Very interested.

It's all good. I remember reading a story about the police arresting a poacher somewhere around Ogun State earlier this year. More funding is needed because I am sure many more are being killed. Logging is also a threat.

The Nigerian Conservation Foundation seems to be good. It's a membership organisation and the fees are piss cheap if you ask me. I have not joined yet due to location constraints but will do in future.

If we have more people who are interested, like yourself, we can actually do something like a combination of a touring visit, fundraising and raise awareness.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Nobody: 11:29am On Nov 30, 2014
lekanville:

Please speak for yourself, some of us are lovers of wildlife
tell them
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Lanceslot(m): 11:38am On Nov 30, 2014
youngice:
but y are u inviting poachers
Their tusks is already gone.. So nothing to poach for.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by redsun(m): 11:40am On Nov 30, 2014
Interesting. I wouldn't believe there are still elephants in that part of Nigeria. I hope the fear of ebola keeps the hungry mouths off them for good.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by spiralwedge(m): 11:49am On Nov 30, 2014
what animals are they protecting when they didn't even know they exist.

What are Nigerians with degrees in zoology doing with their degrees?

And to think ur president with a PH.d in zoology has no interest in this poo?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by pongwa(m): 1:24pm On Nov 30, 2014
ThaProphet:

Many thanks. Will keep that in mind next time.

How was your field trip to the Shasha forest by the way? Besides the elephants, any other interesting animals? Did you access the forest through Dagongbo as you suggested?

I can ask questions forever but I'll stop here.
it was a geologic field trip carried out to update the existing geologic map of the southwest region early produced in the 60's. one other animal that fascinated me was what is known as 'owawa' a kind of cat or dog that lives on trees. the sound it made in the night terrifies me. the only good memory I had of the area is their bush meat and palm wine
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Ibyno(m): 1:25pm On Nov 30, 2014
Una get such camera, una never still capture Boko Haram hide out ? I dey laugh .
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by ThaProphet(m): 4:46pm On Nov 30, 2014
pongwa:
it was a geologic field trip carried out to update the existing geologic map of the southwest region early produced in the 60's. one other animal that fascinated me was what is known as 'owawa' a kind of cat or dog that lives on trees. the sound it made in the night terrifies me. the only good memory I had of the area is their bush meat and palm wine

Haha...nice one - Palm wine and bush meat.

Hope your mission was successful.
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by Onegai(f): 8:54pm On Dec 01, 2014
pongwa:

You have to go again, we need video and pictures, "the Flora and Fauna of Omo-Shasha-Oluwa forest". Print it as a coffee-table book and watch how well it does smiley
Re: Hidden Cameras Capture Forest Elephant's Activity In South-west Nigeria by pongwa(m): 10:34pm On Dec 01, 2014
Onegai:

You have to go again, we need video and pictures, "the Flora and Fauna of Omo-Shasha-Oluwa forest". Print it as a coffee-table book and watch how well it does smiley
I love adventure so bring it on as long as it is financially rewarding

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Young Man Showcases The Mini Port Crane He Built From Scratch (Video) / China: Birth Of The First Cloned Primates / Nigerian Man Builds Handmade Excavator (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.