Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,186 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:40 AM

Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. (6589 Views)

Bumps Due To Shaving. / Black Men And The Curse Of Shaving Bumps (ingrown Hairs): Help! / Hard Curly Hair And Shaving Bumps! Any Cure? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by mentorandfriend(m): 9:07pm On Nov 29, 2014
Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) also known as barber's itch, folliculitis barbae traumatica, razor bumps , scarring pseudofolliculitis
of the beard
, and shave bumps , is
a medical term for persistent irritation caused by shaving.
Pseudofolliculitis barbae was first described in 1956.
Cause
Pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) is most common on the male face, but it can also happen on other parts of the body where hair is shaved or plucked, especially areas where hair is curly and the skin is sensitive, such as genital shaving
(more properly termed
pseudofolliculitis pubis or PFP).
Thus the female armpit and pubic area is not left out. After a hair has been shaved, it begins to grow back. Curly hair tends to curl into the skin instead of straight out of the follicle, leading to an inflammation reaction. PFB can make the skin look itchy and red, and in some cases, it can even look like pimples . These inflamed papules or pustules can form especially if the area becomes infected.
This is especially problematic for some men who have naturally coarse or tightly curling thick hair. Curly hair increases the likelihood of PFB. If left untreated over time, this can cause keloid scarring in the beard area.
Prevention and treatment.
The most effective prevention is to let the beard grow. For men
who are required or prefer to shave, studies show the optimal length to be about 0.5 mm to 1mm to prevent their hair growing back into the skin. For most cases, totally avoiding shaving for three to four weeks allows all lesions to subside, and most extrafollicular hairs will resolve themselves in about 10 days. Permanent removal of the hair
follicle is the only definitive treatment for PFB
. Some men use electric razors to
control PFB. Those who use a razor, should use a single blade or special wire-wrapped blade to avoid shaving too closely, with a new blade each shave. Shaving in the direction of hair growth every other day, rather than daily, may improve pseudofolliculitis
barbae. If one must use a blade, softening the beard first with a hot, wet washcloth for five minutes or shave while showering in hot water can be helpful.
Treatment
The easiest cure is to let the beard grow. Existing razor bumps can often be treated by removal of the ingrown hair. Extrafollicular hairs can usually be pulled gently from under the skin, with tweezers. Complete removal of the hair from its follicle is not recommended. Severe or transfollicular hairs may require removal by a dermatologist.
Medications are also prescribed to speed healing of the skin. Personally, I advocate the use of Skinnell tube cream and Funbact A tube cream. Any of them will help your war against PFB. I also advocate the use of whole body bathe with dettol soap, paying close attention to the face and jaw areas to eliminate a superimposing infection from razor or clippers that may give rise to abcess formation and pus discharge within days of shaving. Use a clean towel each time you finish bathing to clean your body. Give no room to opportunistic skin infections. Wash your towel twice a week with clean water and detergent and rinse thoroughly in a water with an antiseptic. Be fresh. Buy your own clippers too. Stay away from public clippers. And for females, apply lavish moisturising shaving cream, or use normal toilet soap to lather the armpit area thoroughly and shave from top to down. Shave along the hair line. It prevents hair reaction and hair ingrowth during regrowth. Study the pattern of hair line in your pubic area too and do the same thing. Stay healthy, happy and wise.

Source: Written by myself from extensive research on net and from my texbooks as a doctor; but most especially, from things I have seen my consultants and teachers say and prescribe in our clinic.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by mentorandfriend(m): 9:12pm On Nov 29, 2014
More pics below.

Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by Occurstaem(m): 2:56pm On Dec 03, 2014
Thanks OP.
But what is wrong with all these moderators. If it is Tonto topic or celebrity gists it will make front page.
Haba since Nov 29. I SMH for nairaland ooo.

2 Likes

Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by prettyjo(f): 11:59am On Oct 02, 2015
nice thread

1 Like

Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 8:54pm On Oct 02, 2015
Very nice and informative post. I do not have razor bumbs but the sides of my face is quite dark compared to the rest of my face, no thanks to consistent shaving. Is there any remedy for this?
Note: I am also a true descendant of ESAU. I am as hairy as eva.
Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by mentorandfriend(m): 7:36am On Oct 03, 2015
PRISTINEMUSCLES:
Very nice and informative post. I do not have razor bumbs but the sides of my face is quite dark compared to the rest of my face, no thanks to consistent shaving. Is there any remedy for this?
Note: I am also a true descendant of ESAU. I am as hairy as eva.
Funbact A has been tested and proven beyond all doubts for your complain. It contains a steroid called Bethamethasone which helps to reduce the effects of inflammation of your skin.
Recall that inflammation owing to constant shaving darkens that area of the skin.
It reduces inflammation and relaxes the skin tone, thereby lightening it in the process. Harmless lightening with minor side effects seen in just 2% of users.
The side effects are formation of striae on the skin (which disappears when Funbact A is discontinued).
Thanks for stopping by to drop a comment.
Re: Be Fresh Looking. Tips On How To Say Bye To Shaving Bumps. by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 8:41am On Oct 03, 2015
mentorandfriend:
Funbact A has been tested and proven beyond all doubts for your complain. It contains a steroid called Bethamethasone which helps to reduce the effects of inflammation of your skin.
Recall that inflammation owing to constant shaving darkens that area of the skin.
It reduces inflammation and relaxes the skin tone, thereby lightening it in the process. Harmless lightening with minor side effects seen in just 2% of users.
The side effects are formation of striae on the skin (which disappears when Funbact A is discontinued).
Thanks for stopping by to drop a comment.
Thanks for your timely response.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do Someone Cure Romastism / 12 Functions Of Mineral Salts / The Benefits Of Stc30

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.