Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,640 members, 7,813,154 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:52 AM

The Problem With Religion, Including Science. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Problem With Religion, Including Science. (7747 Views)

The More I Grow The More I Get Confused With Religion / Why Are Nigerians So Obsessed With Religion? / Top Ten Indications That You’re Over-obsessed With Religion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by Nobody: 7:28am On Dec 08, 2014
LordReed:

Uh, I think you are missing his point which is that Mathematics is an abstraction and can be practiced without "affiliation" to real world objects.

Double post!
Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by Nobody: 7:29am On Dec 08, 2014
LordReed:

Uh, I think you are missing his point which is that Mathematics is an abstraction and can be practiced without "affiliation" to real world objects.

And I think you don't have the slightest idea what we are talking about. (And obviously neither does he) Creating a straw man was a lame move, capitalizing on it... Even lamer

It's not about mathematics gddmit, its about $ + $ = $$ being a fact irrespective of subjective perception (objective fact). What is so difficult to grasp in that for crying out loud?
Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by LordReed(m): 7:42am On Dec 08, 2014
Thsuperiorman:

And I think you don't have the slightest idea what we are talking about. (And obviously neither does he) Creating a straw man was a lame move, capitalizing on it... Even lamer

It's not about mathematics gddmit, its about $ + $ = $$ being a fact irrespective of subjective perception.

Please I am not in an argument with you neither am I picking sides, I just wanted to clarify what I saw as a misinterpretation of his position. I know it is not about mathematics but I think you can see your way clear to what he actually saying.
Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 08, 2014
LordReed:

Please I am not in an argument with you neither am I picking sides, I just wanted to clarify what I saw as a misinterpretation of his position. I know it is not about mathematics but I think you can see your way clear to what he actually saying.

Thanks for the attempt but, it wasn't a misinterpretation. He created a straw man and you assumed I was trying to refute THE strawman.

Anyway, you don't have to respond, I understand why you did what you did. Sorry for the last minute edit of the previous post.

Cheers
Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by bsjay(m): 11:34pm On Dec 09, 2014
Why are you guys deluding yourselves with acquired knowledge which benefits you of nothing? Neither science nor religion is of any great benefits to man.
You speak of time yet have no faint knowledge about time except what sciences has offered you which is in no way near the truth.
Take for instance your own self. You exist in all eternity unchangeable but only your form(physical body) which is animated by the YOU standing in creation undergo changes. You are born as baby, grow up to an adult, grow old and die, these are the processes of your changing form yet, the man in you(your spirit) standing in creation remains the same, not old nor a baby.
So it is with Time. Time is eternal. It does not change but Its forms change! We cannot speak of real Time here on earth cos only Its forms are what we experience on earth which is bound to change. For this reason Jesus said that a thousand years is like a day over there... Time stands still and we walk into It to pick our wants. Someone spoke about the Astral world and associate it with Time. You are nowhere near the Truth cos the Astral world is the nearest to the physical earth and therefore as inferior as the earth. It is a place where all departed souls from earth step feet first and can still hear and see things going on on earth although not so conscious of what is happening based on the conditions of the soul while on earth, ignorance and indolence of his spirit while living on earth. God, Life and Time. You special knowledge to be able to comprehend Them.
Re: The Problem With Religion, Including Science. by PastorAIO: 8:28pm On Dec 12, 2014
plaetton:

The scientific method. The fact that no scientific pronouncement is taken at face value.
Peer review.
The system of democratic, unrestrained and continued testing of theories and ideas, discarding what does not hold up public scrutiny, and following up those that do.

That is a vetting system that tends to weed out personal bias and dogma.

You should read a book by Voltaire called Docteur Akakia. It is a satire about Maupertius the president of the Prussian academy of Sciences. He had discovered the principle of Least Action in Physics and elevated it above the findings of all his peers. This disgusted Voltaire so much that he wrote the book.

"Doctor Akakia" (full title: "Histoire du Docteur Akakia et du Natif de St Malo"wink is a satirical essay of a very biting nature by Voltaire, directed against pretentious pedants of science in the person of Maupertuis, the President of the Royal Academy of Sciences at Berlin, which so excited the anger of Frederick the Great, the patron of the Academy, that he ordered it to be burnt by the common hangman, after 30,000 copies of it had been sold in Paris.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Akakia

I'm sorry Kay17, I thought it was you I was discussing with but it's Plaetton.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Has Anyone Seen God Face-to-face? / Breaking News: Pope Benedict XVI Converts To ISLAM / How To Become A Fervent Christain Believer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.