Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,795 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Help! My Broilers Keep Dying - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help! My Broilers Keep Dying (11064 Views)

Please I Need Advice On Where I Can Sell My Broilers. / Pls Help Me For God Sake My Broilers Are Sick / Somebody Help Pls...my Birds Are Dying! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 9:18am On Nov 30, 2014
This is my first time raring chickens, and I started out with 30 Broilers, and 15 Cockerels. So far, 12 of the 30 Broilers have died. I have done everything. I keep the place clean, make sure they are in a well ventilated place, change their water almost every hour, give them their antibiotics/medicine when needed, change their saw dust every 2-3 days, but they just keep dying. I would check them before going to bed, and when I wake up, I would see one dead. I have gone back to where I bought it, and they keep prescribing one drug or the other...I keep buying, but they keep dying. What should I do?

I am thinking maybe the chicks I bought are not a strong breed or something, cos everytime I go there, I always meet someone else there complaining that their chickens are dying too.

At this point, I am nolonger concerned about profits again, I am just concerned with how to put an end to all these agonizing emotional pain of having to bury the chickens almost every three days.

Please, I will need comments from experts, and anybody that has some information that can help. Thank you.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Nobody: 9:32am On Nov 30, 2014
Maybe you should Switch to another chicks seller
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 9:35am On Nov 30, 2014
ty265:
Maybe you should Switch to another chicks seller

I don't get. You mean when I sell this ones off, I should switch to another chicks seller when I am going to buy the new batch? Well, that is what I already had in mind. I am just thinking of how I am going to handle the ones on ground right now.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Nobody: 9:48am On Nov 30, 2014
Lemme post some solutions i got frm a site through google
broilers should be on a high protein meat builder type of feed. We let them run themselves out of food each night about 7:00 or so but make sure they have water available. This helps to keep them from outgrowing what their legs can take. Offer them grit free choice at about day 3. Otherwise, we don't treat our broilers any differently than our other chicks. We allow ours to range and grow out a bit more slowly but it seems to help with the leg problems. Broilers do tend to sit around more so if you have room, make them work a bit for their food by setting it away from where they rest or adding scratch grains for them to forage for. I have also noticed that broilers seem to get hotter than other birds. By week three they should be at about 75-80 degrees. I hope something helps. It isn't any fun to lose birds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 30, 2014
Hi all, the first corish x's we raised, we fed too much and we were told by the place we bought them from, that they were having heart attacks. I was out there one day and one chick just killed over dead. Slow down your feeding , we were keeping the feeders full all the time and we wre killing them, they just sat there and ate and died. Call the place you got them from and ask how much food per chick at this age, they should have a formula of some kind to go by. So much feed- per chic -per day. Good luck

1 Like

Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Nobody: 9:52am On Nov 30, 2014
Hi, I had the same problem these past few weeks with my Cornish X Rocks that I purchased from Murray McMurray. I lost 12 out of 50! I was so upset. I called Murray three times. McMurray's answer was that they got too stressed during shipping. I finally decided that there was too much activity where I had them and moved them to a more quiet area. This stopped the deaths. Like you, I had them warm enough, no drafts, plenty of water, etc. Those big birds are subject to heart attacks and I've had some grown ones that did keel over and die for no reason.
So, my suggestion is to move them to a quiet place and see if that works
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 9:58am On Nov 30, 2014
ty265:
Hi, I had the same problem these past few weeks with my Cornish X Rocks that I purchased from Murray McMurray. I lost 12 out of 50! I was so upset. I called Murray three times. McMurray's answer was that they got too stressed during shipping. I finally decided that there was too much activity where I had them and moved them to a more quiet area. This stopped the deaths. Like you, I had them warm enough, no drafts, plenty of water, etc. Those big birds are subject to heart attacks and I've had some grown ones that did keel over and die for no reason.
So, my suggestion is to move them to a quiet place and see if that works

Why is this so? I mean, the heart attacks? I would see them all running around one minute, and I would leave for a while, and come back, and see one with its legs up in the air...dead. I mean, no sign at all, they just drop dead like that. I will try and move them to a more quiet place, and feed them less as someone suggested above.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by santislim8(m): 10:03am On Nov 30, 2014
B
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Nobody: 10:04am On Nov 30, 2014
Alright bro. I hope the rest chicks survive......more solutions here hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=004wSv
Backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/14836
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 12:30pm On Nov 30, 2014
santislim8:
D PROBLEM IS DAT U PLAY TIWA SAVAGE SONG.INSIDE D CAGE

How did you find your way to "Agriculture" section?

4 Likes

Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 12:31pm On Nov 30, 2014
ty265:
Alright bro. I hope the rest chicks survive......more solutions here hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=004wSv
Backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/14836

Thanks.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by miqos02(m): 2:30pm On Dec 01, 2014
op, have they stopped dying?
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 4:36pm On Dec 01, 2014
miqos02:
op, have they stopped dying?

The last one died on Saturday...no death since then. But I don't like how they open their mouths and breathe heavy like asmathic patient having an attack.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by yemmit90: 7:47pm On Dec 01, 2014
@op, how old are your birds?

Did you completed their vaccines?

Base on your subsequent posts, I could deduced that your birds are probably suffering from 'Sudden death syndrome'(heart attack). It has no cure(vaccine) as the causes is not yet know or be ascertained.

The best thing to do to minimize your mortality rate is to reduce their feed intake and increase their water. Don't give them food in the afternoon, and you can also add multivatamin to their water for 3 consecutive days. Also, make their house to be more ventilated.

But if they are below 3 weeks, I can suggest you a drug to control the situation.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Tmex(m): 7:04am On Dec 02, 2014
In your post up here there's actually nothing wrong with your management except for where you said you change the bedding (wood shavings) in three days, I guess it could be a respiratory disease due to the presence of dusts present within the material. For now live the beddings unchanged for like 3 weeks, it is advisable to only change the beddings when they starts forming cakes.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 11:41am On Dec 02, 2014
Tmex:
In your post up here there's actually nothing wrong with your management except for where you said you change the bedding (wood shavings) in three days, I guess it could be a respiratory disease due to the presence of dusts present within the material. For now live the beddings unchanged for like 3 weeks, it is advisable to only change the beddings when they starts forming cakes.

Hmm! You have a point...I guess it is a respiratory disease...cos they usually breathe like they are having an asthmatic attack. Thanks for the addition. I was just trying to make the place neat since people say hygiene is a big deal with broilers, that's why I change the wood shaving every 3 days.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Tmex(m): 11:56am On Dec 02, 2014
kay29000:

Hmm! You have a point...I guess it is a respiratory disease...cos they usually breathe like they are having an asthmatic attack. Thanks for the addition. I was just trying to make the place neat since people say hygiene is a big deal with broilers, that's why I change the wood shaving every 3 days.
just live the beddings and give them multivitamin successively for about 3 days they should get well.

2 Likes

Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 11:40pm On Dec 02, 2014
Tmex:
just live the beddings and give them multivitamin successively for about 3 days they should get well.

Thanks once again.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Vallyview: 7:58pm On Oct 28, 2015
[color=#990000][/color] my day old broilers got soaked in water tru their drinking cans due to power failure via midnite,over 30 got pretty soaked,was able to rescue them at abt 3.am and since then i noticed 1 dead in d evening around 7p.m,wat marvel me is dat d dead bird didn't look sick,could it be as a result of heat stress or heart atack? Wat should i do to prevent next mortality thanx.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by vmacford: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2016
Pls ask him.....I need help. Over 350 chicks, 3mnths old now.Keep dying. Having less than 70 left. I'm thinking of selling them all off during Xmas including d layers?
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kioboy(m): 11:04pm On Oct 15, 2016
kay29000:
This is my first time raring chickens, and I started out with 30 Broilers, and 15 Cockerels. So far, 12 of the 30 Broilers have died. I have done everything. I keep the place clean, make sure they are in a well ventilated place, change their water almost every hour, give them their antibiotics/medicine when needed, change their saw dust every 2-3 days, but they just keep dying. I would check them before going to bed, and when I wake up, I would see one dead. I have gone back to where I bought it, and they keep prescribing one drug or the other...I keep buying, but they keep dying. What should I do?

I am thinking maybe the chicks I bought are not a strong breed or something, cos everytime I go there, I always meet someone else there complaining that their chickens are dying too.

At this point, I am nolonger concerned about profits again, I am just concerned with how to put an end to all these agonizing emotional pain of having to bury the chickens almost every three days.

Please, I will need comments from experts, and anybody that has some information that can help. Thank you.

You are having a case of coccidiocis outbreak, have you observe their poo? Mine are recovering now after treating wit amprolium and megadox N, observe d poo and their eating habit and report back.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 10:55pm On Oct 16, 2016
kioboy:

You are having a case of coccidiocis outbreak, have you observe their poo? Mine are recovering now after treating wit amprolium and megadox N, observe d poo and their eating habit and report back.

The post was so long ago. I am so glad I am better at rearing chickens now. That was such an agonizing time for me. Right now, I am trying out Noilers...and so far so good with them. 6 Weeks...and none of the 102 chicks have died. I hope to keep it that way.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Alennsar(f): 8:06am On Sep 25, 2017
kay29000:

The post was so long ago. I am so glad I am better at rearing chickens now. That was such an agonizing time for me. Right now, I am trying out Noilers...and so far so good with them. 6 Weeks...and none of the 102 chicks have died. I hope to keep it that way.

pls is Der a different BTW Noiler and broiler?
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by kay29000(m): 10:16am On Sep 28, 2017
Alennsar:

pls is Der a different BTW Noiler and broiler?

Yes. Noilers are a new hybrid of chickens that are as rugged as local chickens, and yet grow almost as big as Broilers. Noilers come in all colors you can think of...white, brown, black, black and white, brownish red, etc.

Broilers on the other hand are white heavy chickens that grow pretty fast.

Noilers reach maturity in 11-14 weeks. Broilers reach maturity in 8-12 weeks.
Re: Help! My Broilers Keep Dying by Alennsar(f): 11:44am On Sep 28, 2017
kay29000:

Yes. Noilers are a new hybrid of chickens that are as rugged as local chickens, and yet grow almost as big as Broilers. Noilers come in all colors you can think of...white, brown, black, black and white, brownish red, etc.

Broilers on the other hand are white heavy chickens that grow pretty fast.

Noilers reach maturity in 11-14 weeks. Broilers reach maturity in 8-12 weeks.
thanks a lot. I will try dat. Noiler soon.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Ugu Farming This Useless? / Nairaland's No.1 Rice Producer. 1,000 bags of rice. From now to March 2017 / How Access Bank Is Revitalising Agric Sector With Agriculture Desk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.