Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,012 members, 7,835,435 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics (788 Views)

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / Nigerian Artistes And Their Empty Lyrics / Which Nigerian Artists Will One Day Bring Grammy Award To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics by LeslieChow(m): 11:32am On Dec 02, 2014
First of all, let me make something clear lest people get the wrong notion. I am an ardent music lover and a sucker for good beats. The funkier, the better. I like to hear a beat that will make me sway my body and dance all through the night without worrying my mind. But while I dance and gyrate to the wonderful tunes, let the music at least, have a sensible lyric that I or any other listener can relate to.

That is why I shake my head at the sort of lyrics that our naija musicians churn out. In all fairness to them, the music producers make beats that kill. Beats that would make Dr. Dre, Swiss Beats, Jay-Z and Timbaland consider going back for a refreshers course in music 101. I however cannot say the same for the artists.

I just read an article on Linda Ikeji by James Omokwe canvassing for an end to garbage music where he analyzed the lyrics to Whizkid's new song 'In My Bed', http://lindaikeji..com/2014/12/hilarious-actor-james-omokwe-trashes.html#more. In my opinion, which I am entitled to as well as any other person, the guy simply said the truth about the lyrical content of the music. This is not limited to Whizkid alone. A whole lot of Nigerian artists are guilty of this; D'Prince, Inyaya, Kcee are the few that comes to mind. This should not misconstrued as a shade on Whizkid or the artists mentioned but as a call on Naija artist to up their lyrical content while delivering a sustainable beat. Dance music just doesn't have to be all about bum-bums, blings and money.

Electronic Dance Music (EDM) is form of dance music that makes you want to party all night. In as much as EDMs are purely dance music, you still cant fail to notice the strong lyrical content of the music which you can relate to. Listen to musics by Avicii (Hey Brother), Coldplay (A Sky Full of Stars), Swedish House Mafia (Don't You Worry Child), David Guetta Ft Sia (Titanium). These are popular electronic dance musics that still have powerful lyrical content.

While I admit that African style of music is different from western style, we still have to call on our artists to deliver more creative and poetic lyrics. Lets put an end to garbage music.

Opinions are welcomed.
Re: Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics by holatin(m): 12:19pm On Dec 02, 2014
There are artist with good lyrics.
Blackmagic best lyricist ever

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics by Nobody: 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2014
You cant just seat down and fold ur hands and then expect change in how our naija artists make their lyrics. If a person wants a change in a leadership, he joins politics and likewise music. Meanwhile what u said is true.
Re: Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 02, 2014
Wow
Re: Nigerian Artists And Empty Lyrics by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2014
My fellow nairalanders I salute u all. Pls I want to know the use of diminshed chords.

(1) (Reply)

LEAK MUSIC:- Wizkid And Davido-just For You / Are You Painting Or Thrashing The BOBO Video By Olamide / Who Is The Winner Of The King Kong Rap Contest?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.