Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,034 members, 7,841,931 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 (1118 Views)

Which Is The Most Memorable Comeback In Nigerian Football? / Official World CHESS Olympiads Thread (2014) World 4th Largest Sporting Event / Your Most Memorable Moment In Football! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by mystikal(m): 9:42pm On Dec 01, 2008
2008 was a great year for sports. impressive displays were seen in almost all sporting areas. My best highlight would be the Wimbledon Final between Federer and Nadal probably because I watched it live, It was amazing the duel between the two. Of course they were:
Spain's Euro triumph
CL Final
Usain Bolt and Mike Phelps Exploits
the amazing american victory at the Ryder Cup
Lewis Hamilton's win.
even Nigeria's Olympic soccer team exploits etc

Mention your other most memorable sporting event of an eventful 2008
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 04, 2008
It's hard just to narrow it down to just one memory,cus in '08, there were PLENTY.

The one that I'll never forget,however, is Bolt smashing the 100m record at the Olympics.I'm shocked that the record has been ratified because I was actually expecting an announcement that e had tested positive to some steroid.Men he was FAST!.
Phelps also won one of his gold medal at the last second,that too was memorable.It had to be taken to a photo finish,and a commitee had to review the race for almost an hour.

And of course, the Federe/Nadal Final at Wimbledon.CLASSIC.

2008 was just an amazing sporting year,sha.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by vikiviko(m): 12:02pm On Dec 04, 2008
Usain's bolt.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by mukina2: 1:37pm On Dec 04, 2008
Usain Bolt - it was good to know athletes can actually perform well without the use of performance enhancing drugs

Micheal Phish tongue

Can2008.- Egypt winning the competition with majority of their players home based, compared to other teams who can boast of at least 7/8 professional players also with their home based coach grin
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by nedujizzy(m): 3:58pm On Dec 04, 2008
Manchester United's champions league victory tops the chat for me,
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by A40(m): 5:18pm On Dec 04, 2008
Usain Bolt's win
Lewis Hamilton's world championship
The Giants upsetting the Patriots to take the Super Bowl
Federer/Nadal Wimbledon Final kai i feel very lucky to be born in this generation

How could i possibly forget Samuel Peters getting beaten to a pulp by Vitali Klitschko? And Floyd Mayweather beating Ricky Hatton
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by kaypumpin2(m): 5:40pm On Dec 04, 2008
Usain bolt doing a Ben Johnson without drug usage is a top drawer.
How can one forget the Nadal/Federer Wimbledon classic too
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by TOYOSI20(f): 7:25am On Dec 21, 2008
It has got to be, US basketball stars reclaim Olympic gold in Beijing, . . . . .  .   cool

and the Celtics return to glory by winning the NBA Championship, was cool too, wink smiley

And Nigerian Dream team winning Silver in Beijing too, [s]and this from ma b/f, who says he's says hes too lazy to post, [/s]  tongue kiss
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 21, 2008
Two words:
USAIN BOLT!!!
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by nazzyon(m): 9:31am On Dec 21, 2008
4 most memorable events for me are:

Mclaren's Lewis Hamilton becoming the F1 Champion  00s of seconds after everyone thought he'd lost it to Felipe Massa in Brazil.

Valentino Rossi becoming the World Champion again after he'd lost his mojo for 2 straight seasons.

Usain Bolt thrashing both the 100 and 200 metre records.

Micheal Phelps winning 8 Gold medals in Beijing Olympics.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by nazzyon(m): 9:36am On Dec 21, 2008
A-40:

How could i possibly forget Samuel Peters getting beaten to a pulp by Vitali Klitschko?

Thanks for the reminder.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 21, 2008
Of your list,there's got to be a standout.
And that standout for me is Bolt shattering the 100m record in Beijing.
I guess most people agree with me on that one.

On Klitscho chopping Peter to bits,I'd rather not remember it.
More like a disgrace I'd like to forget
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by bagoma(f): 11:06am On Dec 21, 2008
for me it is the federer - nadal wimbledon showdown. that has gone down as perhaps the greatest tennis match ever.
michael phelps smashing the world record set ages ago by winning 8 gold in a single olympic. he was awesome!!! breaking the world record on seven of those events. simply unbelieavable!!!
Usain bolt breaking the 100m world record in such style! - looked so effortless. Wow!
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by Bobbyb(m): 11:44pm On Dec 21, 2008
The no.1 sporting highlight 4 me was MICHEAL PHELPS claiming olympic legendary status,as d best ever olympian nd as a GUNNER i hate 2 say this BUT MANCHESTER UTD's all-round year was absolutely FANTASTIC!!
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by tosinadeda: 1:30am On Dec 22, 2008
usain bolts cool
wut a race, wut a celeberation before and after the race
incredible
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by smurf1(f): 8:30am On Dec 23, 2008
Ermmm Usain Bolt anyone? ?, that was remarkable, it was HISTORY in the making too, cool
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by cooljoe(m): 10:36am On Dec 23, 2008
I'll have to pick Bolt's breathtaking performance at the Beijing olympics, alongside Kanu's FA cup winning goal, which enabled Porsmouth win the FA cup.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by goodguy(m): 12:09pm On Dec 24, 2008
- United's Champions League win over Chelsea

- Nadal's 6-1, 6-3, 6-0 drubbing of Federer in the French Open final

- The thrilling 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 9-7 victory of Nadal over Federer at the Wimbledon final in a 4hr 48min epic match.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 24, 2008
The french open final was expected.
Wasn't really a suprise for me.
Fed got schooled on clay and the tendency for it happening is like 11 times out of 10.
The Wimbledon tie was more like it.
Pundits say it's perhaps the greatest tennis match ever played.
You didn't know who would win.
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by goodguy(m): 2:24pm On Dec 25, 2008
I wasn't expecting Federer to win either, but I certainly wasn't expecting that he would suffer such a humiliating defeat in the hands of his arch-rival.

6 - 0 in the last set? Jeez! shocked
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by iice(f): 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2008
Yup, the Federer/Nadal Wimbledon game
Usain Bolt Olympic triumphs
The Giants

[s]i won't say Phelps because i knew he could do it[/s] tongue
Re: Most Memorable Sporting Event Of 2008 by justkunmi(m): 12:08am On Dec 29, 2008
the 2008 Champions League Final. .United vs Chelsea. .
and ofcourse United won. .

nothing could be more memorable. . wink

PROUDLY UNITED smiley

(1) (Reply)

Octopus Paul Kidnapped / Hi / Flying Eagles Edge Past Guinea Despite Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.