Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,606 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka (4438 Views)

Wole Soyinka Government High School / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Emmy2019: 8:51am On Dec 03, 2014
Please, this post is for research sake. People should not use it for tribal sentiment or political, but for the compilation of the greatest Nigerian ever lived which will be published in one of American biggest magazine. Give your reasons before you choose among them.thanks.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Blackfire(m): 9:31am On Dec 03, 2014
chinua achebe.. he never compromised with AGIP

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by DonaldGenes(m): 9:32am On Dec 03, 2014
Chinua Achebe

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by cktheluckyman: 9:37am On Dec 03, 2014
Please close this thread. Nothing good can ever come out of threads like this

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by akoaki(m): 9:38am On Dec 03, 2014
Emmy2019:
Please, this post is for research sake. People should not use it for tribal sentiment or political, but for the compilation of the greatest Nigerian ever lived which will be published in one of American biggest magazine. Give your reasons before you choose among them.thanks.

You mean who is greater between the two ?

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by nobilis: 2:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
You can't really compare the two of them because they have little common grounds for comparison between them.

Chinua Achebe was a novelist to the core but writes poems once in a while. Wole Soyinka is an accomplished poet and playwright. But Achebe is a better storyteller than Soyinka.

One other thing is that Soyinka received a Nobel Prize in literature (the only Nigerian Nobel laureate) while Chinua Achebe didn't (even though he received and was nominated for various other awards)

Coming to global influence, Achebe is more widely known than Soyinka. Things Fall Apart is the most widely read African novel to date and has been translated into several languages. None of Soyinka's books has achieved such worldwide readership.

They are both great men. And have done Nigeria proud.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
OP, greater, not greatest. There are only two people here, not three. Also, betweeen, not among. We're comparing two people.

5 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:18pm On Dec 03, 2014
nobilis:
You can't really compare the two of them because they have little common grounds for comparison between them.

Chinua Achebe was a novelist to the core but writes poems once in a while. Wole Soyinka is an accomplished poet and playwright. But Achebe is a better storyteller than Soyinka.

One other thing is that Soyinka received a Nobel Prize in literature (the only Nigerian Nobel laureate) while Chinua Achebe didn't (even though he received and was nominated for various other awards)

Coming to global influence, Achebe is more widely known than Soyinka. Things Fall Apart is the most widely read African novel to date and has been translated into several languages. None of Soyinka's books has achieved such worldwide readership.

They are both great men. And have done Nigeria proud.
Things Fall Apart, especially outside Africa, is more of an anthropological piece than a literary piece. In the US and other European countries, it is read more in anthropological classes. It gives the white man an understanding of the African reaction when christianity was being spread.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by SeverusSnape(m): 4:21pm On Dec 03, 2014
Chinua Achebe... things fall apart, Man of the people and Arrow of God still remains classical.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Elose11(m): 4:47pm On Dec 03, 2014
Chinua Achebe of course! Whereas Soyinka was writing for the elites, Achebe was for the masses. Achebe's books like, Things fall Apart, No longer at Ease, A man of the people, etc, has a great impact in the minds of the youths, than Soyinka's. A man died was full of unintelligent jargon that only him and a few others understood. Soyinka may have won an undeserved Nobel laurel, but in the mind of the youth, Achebe stands out.

7 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 4:48pm On Dec 03, 2014
This topic was not created for the purpose of research. OP u know

3 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by iffydaniells: 5:21pm On Dec 03, 2014
A research work that seeks to know whom is greater between Soyinka and Achebe is not only puerile, but lacking in content and a disservice to the remarkable contributions of the duo.
From the perspective of purpose,they delivered their mandate to Africa and the world at large.Thus,making their greatness mutually re-enforcing.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Pennyways: 5:22pm On Dec 03, 2014
the likes of Chinua Achebe should be compared with Nelson Mandela, he never compromise rubbish. therefore Chinue Achebe is the greatest Nigeria nobel literate ever lived.
not to be compared with Uncle Wole is now APC allied

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 03, 2014
simple, A yourba man will say soyinka and an igbo man will tell you it's achebe.

i guess it's achebe for me because I'm an igbo man grin

8 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 5:38pm On Dec 03, 2014
OP how u go open tribal tread and say no tribal comment. OP na wa for you o.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by KwoiZabo(m): 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2014
Soyinka will be the greatest because he will soon write another accidental public servant supporting Amaechi's stubborness and APC rascality. tongue

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 03, 2014
Blackfire:
chinua achebe.. he never compromised with AGIP

The OP is talking about the greater writer. I don't know why you guys find it difficult to stick to the topic of a thread.

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:32pm On Dec 03, 2014
Pennyways:
the likes of Chinua Achebe should be compared with Nelson Mandela, he never compromise rubbish. therefore Chinue Achebe is the greatest Nigeria nobel literate ever lived.
not to be compared with Uncle Wole is now APC allied

This is strictly about literature. Are you guys deliberately trying to be dumb?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by shizzleStar: 6:35pm On Dec 03, 2014
KwoiZabo:
Soyinka will be the greatest because he will soon write another accidental public servant supporting Amaechi's stubborness and APC rascality. tongue
LWKMD grin
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 03, 2014
Elose11:
Chinua Achebe of course! Whereas Soyinka was writing for the elites, Achebe was for the masses. Achebe's books like, Things fall Apart, No longer at Ease, A man of the people, etc, has a great impact in the minds of the youths, than Soyinka's. A man died was full of unintelligent jargon that only him and a few others understood. Soyinka may have won an undeserved Nobel laurel, but in the mind of the youth, Achebe stands out.

You wrote jargon. The Nobel prize does not award a novelist who only managed 5 novels in a space of more than 30 years.

Soyinka wrote over 30 plays and even more prose works than Achebe.

Achebe has just one volume of poems, Soyinka has 5. It is not hard to see who was more versatile. Soyinka wrote in all the genres of literature. His plays, The Lion And The Jewel, The Jero Plays and some others were popular with the masses.

Go and dig up the speech that contained the reasons why they gave him the Nobel prize. Soyinka is a wordsmith and a very prolific writer. There is no Nigerian writer as versatile and prolific as he. Even at his old age, he still wrote a 700+ paged memoir (We Must Set Forth At Dawn)

The last time Achebe wrote a novel was in 1988 or thereabout. You don't expect the Nobel council to give such a novelist a Nobel prize. Even William Golding who started writing at 38 - 40 years of age wrote more than 10 novels and won the Nobel prize in his old age.

12 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Dlionsheart: 6:48pm On Dec 03, 2014
KwoiZabo:

so you've not read Soyinka's latest release: JONATHAN - KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR grin gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by orimsamsam(m): 6:57pm On Dec 03, 2014
Comparing wole soyinka and chinue achebe is just like comparing robben and messi 2geda. Although they are both fine player. But one has the ballon d'or
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Blackfire(m): 6:57pm On Dec 03, 2014
[quote
author=hifaif post=28565434]

The OP is talking about the greater writer. I don't know why you guys
find it difficult to stick to the topic of a thread.[/quote]

before i comment i never saw where the op specified on there writting. dont carry your frustration on me
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by fastguy10: 6:59pm On Dec 03, 2014
Dlionsheart:

so you've not read Soyinka's latest release: JONATHAN - KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR grin gringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringringrin
I cnt stop laughing grin

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Lurcky(m): 7:03pm On Dec 03, 2014
KwoiZabo:
OP how u go open tribal tread and say no tribal comment. OP na wa for you o.

Na u dey reason em like dat na
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by poranta(f): 7:04pm On Dec 03, 2014
Chinua achebe
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Janet101(f): 7:22pm On Dec 03, 2014
Wole Soyinka is a great man, but Achebe is also a good writer.
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
Blackfire:

before i comment i never saw where the op specified on there writting. dont carry your frustration on me

It is very clear what the OP was on about comparing both writers.

Your post was ediotic. Why would I carry out any frustration on something that clearly lacks substance?

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by ZACHIE: 7:45pm On Dec 03, 2014
With your poor use of English, you the OP have
no business whatsoever comparing these great sons of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:12pm On Dec 03, 2014
embarassed I hear drums of war sad grin grin undecided

1 Like

Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by iamrealdeji(m): 8:25pm On Dec 03, 2014
customized13:
simple, A yourba man will say soyinka and an igbo man will tell you it's achebe.

i guess it's achebe for me because I'm an igbo man grin
You're lying,all yorubas that have met think it's Chinua,I'm a yoruba guy myself,but to me its Chinua Achebe because he has direct impact in me and others,i've never understood wole's books,so boring and complex
Re: Who Is The Greatest Among These Two Proffessors Chinua Achebe N Wole Soyinka by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 03, 2014
iamrealdeji:

You're lying,all yorubas that have met think it's Chinua,I'm a yoruba guy myself,but to me its Chinua Achebe because he has direct impact in me and others,i've never understood wole's books,so boring and complex

Wole's books boring? You must be intellectually lazy.

Have you read: The Jero's Plays, The Lion and The Jewel, The Beatification of Area Boy, The Play of Giants?

Tell me, how many of Soyinka's books have you even read?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Meet The First Male Law Student In DELSU History To Bag Double First Class / I Missed My JAMB Exam Date....need Help / Become A Phone, Decoder And Laptop Technician In One Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.