Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,584 members, 7,955,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 06:00 PM

Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) (16097 Views)

UNESCO International Essay Contest 2015 / babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest / Educational Debate Phase One: Essay Submission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
Copying a whole and giving the refence is wrong because you claimed its yours. But I bet you that your boss wont fire you cos of plagiarism, but cos you are lazy to generate your own work. But there is nothing wrong in picking the definition of sex frm wikipedia and putting the reference while the other work comes from you.

Now in picking that definition, you present it like,
According to Wikipedia (year), Sex is bla bla bla.. . . . .
Or
Sex has many definitions. According to one of such definitions, it is the act of bla bla bla (Wikipedia, Year).

At the end of the full work, you then include the full reference E.g
Wikipedia (Year), Title of page - Online, web link

Anybody can then go ahead to check for themselves. As you will notice, the part referenced to Wikipedia was in a single sentence. If it were more that one sentence then you include everything inside quotation marks. E.g
Sex is often engaged in by living organisms. ''It facilitates reproduction, and procreation. Humans engage in it and even animals. Nevertheless, most Nairalanders haven't tasted it'' (Wikipedi Year).
At the end of the work, you still write out the full reference.

I hope my explaination is clear enough.
Neyoor
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 2:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Why dis argument here? Did he flag ur work?
Martins xo u r a contestant....hmmmmmm

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2014
DutchesSsS:

The fact is that you don't just copy and paste an author's work word for word and then add a reference at the end of your article...You must quote the author in your text...

Thats its been done na... Even the almighty wikipedia does so... So whats the big deal...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
Where are the judges come o,before a fight breaks out
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
Guy cool down... This is not about seeing evil and keeping quiet... You did it the wrong way. First of all, you are a contestant. Secondly there are judges assigned to do that (in wch if am one, i would have disqualified you). I could remember MissMieya openly saying that they have a software that they will use to check for that, but you still went ahead to post your fellow contestant work. What happened to PM(ing) the judges about it. You case is like the Nigerians that gives mob treatment, instead reporting to the appropraite authority.
Or do you think its right for someone to just walk up to a criminal and kill without alerting the police. When the police come, even though the person killed a criminal, he will be arrested and labeled a criminal also. You did the right, but a s a contestant you have no write to do it as other contestant will see it as a way for you to increase your chance of winning.

Was yours flagged? So if I see a terrorist with a bomb I shouldn't alert others because it is the police's responsibility? Even if am disqualified I will still be happy because I exposed cheaters before it was too late.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:28pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

Now in picking that definition, you present it like,
According to Wikipedia (year), Sex is bla bla bla.. . . . .
Or
Sex has many definitions. According to one of such definitions, it is the act of bla bla bla (Wikipedia, Year).

At the end of the full work, you then include the full reference E.g
Wikipedia (Year), Title of page - Online, web link

Anybody can then go ahead to check for themselves. As you will notice, the part referenced to Wikipedia was in a single sentence. If it were more that one sentence then you include everything inside quotation marks. E.g
Sex is often engaged in by living organisms. ''It facilitates reproduction, and procreation. Humans engage in it and even animals. Nevertheless, most Nairalanders haven't tasted it'' (Wikipedi Year).
At the end of the work, you still write out the full reference.

I hope my explaination is clear enough.
Isnt that referencing... So whats the special thing you are talking about on plagiarism and referencing... And talking a look at the essay you flagged down, jst a few of them didnt do the proper referencing.

Remember, my iss with you is not on "copy copy" but your right to flagged other pples work. Thats so unethical.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 2:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
MissMeiya
Did u hurt seun feelings again...cos u have bin missing 4 2days now
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
Isnt that referencing... So whats the special thing you are talking about on plagiarism and referencing... And talking a look at the essay you flagged down, jst a few of them didnt do the proper referencing.

Remember, my iss with you is not on "copy copy" but your right to flagged other pples work. Thats so unethical.

My friend you don't know what being ethical means so don't preach to me about it. I have exposed those who cheated. If you can't accept it then relax and stop fuming.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

Was yours flagged? So if I see a terrorist I with a bomb I shouldn't alert others because it is the police's responsibility? Even if am disqualified I will still be happy because I exposed cheaters before it was too late.
I told you earlier, I dont have any entry not to talk of been flagged. And as a contestant, you have no right to play the role of a judge as no one made you a judge.

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by DutchesSsS(f): 2:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
Are we still on this?
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

My friend you don't know what being ethical means so don't preach to me about it. I have exposed those who cheated. If you can't accept it then relax and stop fuming.
Take it anyway you like... You have no right to flagged the essay of your fellow contestant. The rule of the contest didnt give you that right...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
I told you earlier, I dont have any entry not to talk of been flagged. And as a contestant, you have no right to play the role of a judge as no one made you a judge.

And who made you a spokesman for the guilty contestants? Why don't you let them defend themselves. Who made you a judge to judge my actions? Please stop quoting me on this issue again.

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 2:41pm On Dec 19, 2014
Akposy:
MissMeiya
shocked Is she crushing on Seun ? grin grin cheesy
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:42pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

And who made you a spokesman for the guilty contestants? Why don't you let them defend themselves. Who made you a judge to judge my actions? Please stop quoting me on this issue again.
and if I do quote you...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 2:45pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
and if I do quote you...
grin grin Ur blood dey hawt mehn.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 2:46pm On Dec 19, 2014
Opiosko:
Check her signature na
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 2:52pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god and Martins301 pls u guys shld calm down....d rule did not say u can flag any1 work n vice versa.
Abeg let d next comment come from d judge
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by exe0(m): 2:54pm On Dec 19, 2014
Una rantinq done get to seun Osewa office
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 2:55pm On Dec 19, 2014
Akposy:

Check her signature na
Saw nothing... I pray she succeed in her project sha grin
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:57pm On Dec 19, 2014
I'm tired of this baseless argument jare, afterall my entry was not flagged for plagiarism

The judges should just come and announce the winners asap.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 2:59pm On Dec 19, 2014
Opiosko:
Saw nothing... I pray she succeed in her project sha grin
Lolz..r u blind...its dere...on red
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by smithsammy(m): 3:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Let us wait and see who the winners are.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by smithsammy(m): 3:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
Let us wait and see who the winners are. This arguement is un called for!
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Would you mind moving your discussion to the contest thread? This thread is for submissions and discussion directly pertaining to the entries.

Thanks! smiley
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
Opiosko:

or is Seun crushing on her?? grin

3 Likes

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by DutchesSsS(f): 3:19pm On Dec 19, 2014
Please, when will the results be out?

Time??
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 4:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
DutchesSsS:
Please, when will the results be out?
Time??

No one is aware of when the result 'll be out jare, but for fairness, it should just be out 2day.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 4:21pm On Dec 19, 2014
Akposy:
MissMeiya

LOOL no I did not! We're so cool now, he doesn't even hide my posts anymore grin

Life decided to drop me over a cliff, but don't worry, results will be out tonight. I'll give you all a specific time when I get home in 20 minutes.

I'm sorry I didn't finish posting. I'm doing it now.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Akposy(m): 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

LOOL no I did not! We're so cool now, he doesn't even have my posts anymore grin

Life decided to drop me over a cliff, but don't worry, results will be out tonight. I'll give you all a specific time when I get home in 20 minutes.

I'm sorry I didn't finish posting. I'm doing it now.
Hmmmmmmm. Kool. welcome back
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 19, 2014
One Nigeria: Future Impossible Tense?
Author: ███████
Area: Nigerian Nationalism

One Nigeria: Future Impossible Tense?

Sometime ago, I came across a comic write-up: An English teacher asked his students to show their understanding of tenses by making sentences. A student stood up and said, “Arsenal will win the Champions League.” When the teacher asked the boy to identify the tense in the sentence he mischievously said: “Future impossible tense.” I grinned, but I did not miss the point of the joke, which set my mind on a contradictory adventure of trying to identify possibilities that could qualify as ‘future impossible tense’. Many topics swarm across my mind. However, the oft-maligned concept of ‘One Nigeria’ easily floated atop.

Of the assortment of political coinages to have graced our national psyche, ‘One Nigeria’ has unarguably stood tall. Depending on your political, ideological, moral or – of course – ethnic inclination, the malleable concept could indeed be interpreted as variously as suitable. On the heels of a bloody, divisive, debilitating Civil War, the innocuous idea of One Nigeria was proposed in a desperate attempt to salvage our knackered existence and strengthen our belief in the viability of the entity called Nigeria.

By default, the idea would have us see a new, detribalized, near-Utopian Nigeria. Beautiful idea, if you ask me. However, the staggering statistics of over 150 million people and 250 ethnic was always going to be a formidable hurdle. And so it was that, many years down the road, the idea of One Nigeria have proved to be disappointingly unworkable. A majority of Nigerians still believe – and rightly so, may I add – that they have little stake in the entity called Nigeria. The average Nigerian is always suspicious of his neighbour’s innocent intentions. Since its introduction – and subsequent failure – in our political diction, the innocuous phrase has given birth to quite a few other auxiliary expressions such as ‘Federal Character’ and ‘Resource Control’, all in a bid to fix the unexpected shortcomings of One Nigeria.

Unfortunately, the new expressions, like their progenitor, have done really little to tie the many broomsticks of our national disenchantments into a united bunch. The majority still lord it over the hapless minority and there is still the growing suspicion that Nigeria belongs to some select few. The singular case of people travelling from Lagos to Imo, Abia and Anambra states to cast their votes is an unambiguous expression of unbelief in the idea of One Nigeria.

However, the responsibility of fixing Nigeria is ours, indifference and outright avoidance of our various responsibilities to this country amounts to postponing the evil day. Surely, the chicken will come home to roost someday. Unfortunately the youths, the leaders of tomorrow, are actively involved in the pitiable exercise of ethnocentrism. A visit to online forums like Nairaland and LIB will open our eyes to the extent to which our youths are embroiled in a historical murkiness that precedes them. There is an Igbo adage to the effect that if a child is not careful, it will be a victim of the same thing that killed his father. Until we break the shackles of tribalism, we may never move forward as a people. Rebuilding Nigeria must start from somewhere. Personally, I suggest we start from working on the morality of our youths and future leaders.

In 1982, social scientists Professors James Q. Wilson and George L. Kelling introduced the ‘Broken Window Theory’ into the field of criminology. The bottom-line of the theory is that if a neighbourhood or city fails to fix its broken windows and graffiti, the society will continue to descend into crime, chaos and violence. In essence, little things matter! As unworkable as it may seem, I believe that if we instill sound moral principles into our children during their formative years, they will be programmed to see everyone as members of one race – the human race! Even the Holy Bible shares the same idea in Proverbs 22 vs 6: “Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

2 Likes

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 19, 2014
Akposy:

Hmmmmmmm. Koolm welcome back

*prostrates* I'm sorry, everyone. Don't fret, I'm home now. Let me consult with my fellow judges, and give you a time to expect the results.

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 4:36pm On Dec 19, 2014
THE POLITICS OF CORRUPTION
Author: ███████
Area: Corruption

ABSTRACT

This essay will examine the politicisation of corruption in Nigeria and the limitation of an exclusive focus on the law as the only instrument to tackle the monster, as well as suggestions on how the problem can be resolved.

The problem of corruption is not a new topic in Nigeria. Corruption is the abuse of public power for private benefit, bribery, nepotism, unethical acts etc. Corruption is a symptom of the weakness of political, economic, social and legal systems.
Corruption has eaten deep into the social fabric of the country. You hear about overwhelming corrupt acts in the news, see both public officers and private individuals engage in corrupt acts on daily basis. The average Nigerian now thinks he cannot succeed without being corrupt.
The effect of corruption has been devastating to Nigeria. The major obstacle to the realization of Nigeria’s development objective is corruption. It’s waste of space trying to list the havoc that corruption has done to Nigeria and Nigerians. Nigerians knows what corruption has done to them and efforts were made in the past to tackle the monster. So far, all efforts have largely failed. Why is this so..?
Corruption has been hopelessly politicized in Nigeria not only be the government but even the public, the supposed victims. While the government is busy selecting who to prosecute, whose case must drag on till eternity and whose charge to withdraw outright according to their political interest, the opposition is busing making saints out of corrupt politicians who fell out of favour with the government. In the public, when they hear of corrupt acts, many immediately approach it with an ethnic, religious, political or group view. One would scream PDP/GEJ is corrupt and another would yell Buhari/APC is an association of criminals. Others will accuse people from other ethnic or religious groups as corrupt. You are thus labeled corrupt or a saint depending on the political view of your accusers.
More unfortunate is the latest trend where people use anti corruption posturing to gain publicity. If you want to be popular today, all you need to do is peddle false allegation of corruption against the government or any influential citizen. The public will pronounce him guilty as charged without even paying attention to his defense, while his supporters will leap to his defense not minding whether the allegation is true or not. On the surface, this may seem trivial to some of us but some people reputation and faith were damaged in this way, while the fraudulent walk around as heroes.
We all may have our personal or group idiosyncrasies, and thus will want to view issues accordingly but the sooner we realise that we are contributing to the problem of corruption in Nigeria and amend our ways, the better for our country.
While we agree on this, the problem is that we will want the change to come from the government, opposition, the other political parties or religious, ethnic groups. No one will want to make a change first and some will ask…what about if I change and they don’t?, while others will argue that their individual effort will make no difference. Yet we agree that a tree cannot make a forest, but we also know that little drop of water makes the mighty ocean. So yes you will not do all, but your effort will help greatly. Moreover, if we all expect every other party to change before we do, the change we desire will never come.
Conclusions and Recommendations
We have seen how our corruption and our anti corruption war has been politicized and the ignoble roles we are playing in it. We base our support or defense on sentiment instead of facts. The war against corruption is no longer for the government alone. We all have our part to play and will must not wait for others to change before we do else the change we seek will never come.

Recommendations

1 Establishment of a national agency to focus exclusively on moral orientation
2, Inclusion of moral education in our curriculum from primary to tertiary levels.
3, Merger of the EFCC and ICPC and security of tenures for the commission chairperson.
4, Encouragement of proven whistle blowers.
5, Financial reward for victims of corruption by the government and individual members of the society. This may be raised through crowd funding like the one we have here on Nairaland.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigerian Students Top Indian University In Accountancy And Physcology / Kaduna Schools To Remain Closed Till Further Notice - State Governmet / UNICAL Suspends Payment Of School Charges Till Further Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.