Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) (15450 Views)

UNESCO International Essay Contest 2015 / babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest / Educational Debate Phase One: Essay Submission (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Ellidude(m): 11:02am On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
So if one come put reference in the work just like you did by adding wikipedia. Is it acceptable...
That's for the judges to decide.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 11:16am On Dec 19, 2014
Ellidude:
That's for the judges to decide.
am not talking about the contest... I mean in real life, if I write an article, lifted some things frm another author then quote him in my work... Is it plagiarism also...?
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Ellidude(m): 11:26am On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
am not talking about the contest... I mean in real life, if I write an article, lifted some things frm another author then quote him in my work... Is it plagiarism also...?
Not really. That's if the article is just a voluntary work not for a competition like this one.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 19, 2014
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Numerouuuno: 11:43am On Dec 19, 2014
You guys should take things easy,its just a competition, what will be will be!
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 11:51am On Dec 19, 2014
pwiz:
This is not about anger. I for one have seen some of the entries with plagiarism but I kept mute because I was not assigned to flag any of the essays. So why your blood dey hot. It's a game of chance, don't think this will give you an edge over others. Peace

You see evil and you refuse to speak about it. . . . . .how Nigeria go take progress with people like you patroling the streets? Please dont quote me on this matter again.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:06pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
So if one come put reference in the work just like you did by adding wikipedia. Is it acceptable...

Copying a another authors work word for word and adding a reference is a worse form of plagiarism. . .

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
Where are the judges to do justice to this fair contest?
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by pwiz(m): 12:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
Ignored and case closed. Everyone should follow due process. Good luck everyone and merry Christmas in advance. grin^
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 19, 2014
This martins is funny though,

In a real world of essay contest, little plagiarism is allowed and the most important thing is to make reference, check out international essay contest winning entries and see what they look like
Martins301:

Copying a another authors work word for word and adding a reference is a worse form of plagiarism. . .

In a real world of essay contest, little plagiarism is allowed and the most important thing is to make reference, check out international essay contest winning entries and see what they look like

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2014
Stealing without attribution is solely regarded as plagiarism. Once you acknowledge the owner of the work, you're good to go.

Or

Why are project works incomplete without references? There is room for references in most essay contest, just don't know why this one is an exceptional.

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by dejt4u(m): 12:27pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

what we failed to realise here is, there is NO way we can perfectly detect plagiarism..for instance, If I take the 'college review' of my school and I take some parts there for submission here, there is no way you can detect that because the 'college review' is only printed hard copy and not on internet..

Note: the 'college review' is a combined published journal written by the academic staff of an institution (profs, Phd holders, masters degree holders e.t.c)..

I believe the judges will be fair in their judgement..so let's leave all to them..
To Mr Martins feeling lyk a champion here: you can only detect some copied works here but that doesnt mean that u'v detected all.. I believe there are still undetected ones...and I may not know whether you also copied your essay somewhere or you wrote it yourself..gbam!
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

In a real world of essay contest, little plagiarism is allowed and the most important thing is to make reference, check out international essay contest winning entries and see what they look likeThis martins is funny though,

Plagiarism is a crime. If it wasn't then nobody would complain about it. Linda Ikeji's blog was nearly pulled down for same reason. She copies stuff from other places and puts it on her site as if it were her own. Even if u make reference to the source, u are still guilty if u dont put the information in quotes to show that it wasnt your idea but someone else's, and ur guilt is further amplified if u dont include a proper reference at the end of the work to indicate the true source.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Dec 19, 2014
dejt4u:

what we failed to realise here is, there is NO way we can perfectly detect plagiarism..for instance, If I take the 'college review' of my school and I take some parts there for submission here, there is no way you can detect that because the 'college review' is only printed hard copy and not on internet..

Note: the 'college review' is a combined published journal written by the academic staff of an institution (profs, Phd holders, masters degree holders e.t.c)..

I believe the judges will be fair in their judgement..so let's leave all to them..
To Mr Martins feeling lyk a champion here: you can only detect some copied works here but that doesnt mean that u'v detected all.. I believe there are still undetected ones...and I may not know whether you also copied your essay somewhere or you wrote it yourself..gbam!

You are right. One cant be 100 percent sure of the others that were nt detected. But at least effort was made to fish out the defaulters.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 12:49pm On Dec 19, 2014
#BringBackOurRemainingEssays

#BringBackOurJudges

OkBye cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 1:41pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

So which is the correct way of copying another person's work...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Anyi3(m): 1:45pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

If you need a lesson on the art of writing, referencing and plagiarism then contact me and I will give you a free lesson that you will forever appreciate. Some people will copy someone else's work and attach the reference and still feel they have not plagiarised. I wonder who has been teaching them.

Patiently following waiting for my essay to drop.
I have no squabbles with anybody but this Sir is the height of being pompous.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

Plagiarism is a crime. If it wasn't then nobody would complain about it. Linda Ikeji's blog was nearly pulled down for same reason. She copies stuff from other places and puts it on her site as if it were her own. Even if u make reference to the source, u are still guilty if u dont put the information in quotes to show that it wasnt your idea but someone else's, and ur guilt is further amplified if u dont include a proper reference at the end of the work to indicate the true source.

The fact still remain thesame that plagiarism is allowed to some extent. It's only frivolities, stupidity and idiocy that cannot be plagiarised, but be it any positive attitude or work, people won't hesitate to copy it. Acknowledging the owner of the work makes you to be on the safer side. Every words we use this days are plagiarised, if not used by anyone before, it is copied from the dictionary.

References are made just to expose where you've copied from and whose work you've dubbed, there is no penalty for references but there is penalty for dubbing without reference. You can't see any standard essay without proper references. Check out winning entries of several essay competitions, you will see the references bodly written at the end of each essay. Will there be any need for references if plagiarism is not involved?
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:

PM me and I will send you a good article to teach you.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 1:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
cheesy Unrepentant tif tif
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 1:50pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

You see evil and you refuse to speak about it. . . . . .how Nigeria go take progress with people like you patroling the streets? Please dont quote me on this matter again.
Guy cool down... This is not about seeing evil and keeping quiet... You did it the wrong way. First of all, you are a contestant. Secondly there are judges assigned to do that (in wch if am one, i would have disqualified you). I could remember MissMieya openly saying that they have a software that they will use to check for that, but you still went ahead to post your fellow contestant work. What happened to PM(ing) the judges about it. You case is like the Nigerians that gives mob treatment, instead reporting to the appropraite authority.
Or do you think its right for someone to just walk up to a criminal and kill without alerting the police. When the police come, even though the person killed a criminal, he will be arrested and labeled a criminal also. You did the right, but a s a contestant you have no write to do it as other contestant will see it as a way for you to increase your chance of winning.

3 Likes

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

PM me and I will send you a good article to teach you.

To show that you really know your onions. discuss here the correct way of copying another person's work without being penalized.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by DutchesSsS(f): 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
BabyOsisi, MissMelya, CfcFan, Berem...

Please, come and declare the winners before some people kill themselves here...

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 1:56pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

The fact still remain thesame that plagiarism is allowed to some extent. It's only frivolities, stupidity and idiocy that cannot be plagiarised, but be it any positive attitude or work, people won't hesitate to copy it. Acknowledging the owner of the work makes you to be on the safer side. Every words we use this days are plagiarised, if not used by anyone before, it is copied from the dictionary.

References are made just to expose where you've copied from and whose work you've dubbed, there is no penalty for references but there is penalty for dubbing without reference. You can't see any standard essay without proper references. Check out winning entries of several essay competitions, you will see the references bodly written at the end of each essay. Will there be any need for references if plagiarism is not involved?
This my point... If copying and making reference is still plagiarism, then most topics on NL are plagiarised as they are lifetd from another website. Am pretty sure that virtually 95percent of Nigerian graduates made reference to other materials during their project... So what then is true plagiarism @martins...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

Imagine you are asked to write an article about SEX for your newspaper. You then go to wikipedia and copy everything you see there into MS Word and arrange it properly. At the end you put Wikipedia underneath it as reference. Submit it to your boss and you will get fired the next day I assure you.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

To show that you really know your onions. discuss here the correct way of copying another person's work without being penalized.
will i pm him before... He shld upload the materials here lets see... Am not a contestant, but I really dont like what he did...
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 2:00pm On Dec 19, 2014
Neyoor:

Oboy stop granstanding. Plagiarism in any form no matter how 'small' is a criminal offence. Noboby said u may not quote another person's work to drive a point home. U may qoute a point to make UR IDEA clearer, not copy ANOTHER PERSON'S IDEA then add or change some words and call it original work. Thanks.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by DutchesSsS(f): 2:01pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:
This my point... If copying and making reference is still plagiarism, then most topics on NL are plagiarised as they are lifetd from another website. Am pretty sure that virtually 95percent of Nigerian graduates made reference to other materials during their project... So what then is true plagiarism @martins...

The fact is that you don't just copy and paste an author's work word for word and then add a reference at the end of your article...You must quote the author in your text...

1 Like

Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Rich4god:

Exactly. A high proportion of stuff on Nairaland is plagiarised. Have you ever wondered why Seun include the disclaimer at the buttom of every Nairaland page? Scroll down and read it. I will answer your question in my reply to another quote.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Rich4god(m): 2:02pm On Dec 19, 2014
Martins301:

Imagine you are asked to write an article about SEX for your newspaper. You then go to wikipedia and copy everything you see there into MS Word and arrange it properly. At the end you put Wikipedia underneath it as reference. Submit it to your boss and you will get fired the next day I assure you.

Copying a whole and giving the refence is wrong because you claimed its yours. But I bet you that your boss wont fire you cos of plagiarism, but cos you are lazy to generate your own work. But there is nothing wrong in picking the definition of sex frm wikipedia and putting the reference while the other work comes from you.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by Opiosko: 2:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
DutchesSsS:
BabyOsisi, MissMelya, CfcFan, Berem...

Please, come and declare the winners before some people kill themselves here...
Lols! Cool down babe no one's fighting.
Re: Official Submission Thread (babyosisi Christmas Essay Contest) by smithsammy(m): 2:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
Where are the judges??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Strike: Outcome Of Today's ASUP Meeting With Federal Government / Pls. Can Any One Comment On This Essay" Farmer Are More Better Than Doctor" / Sbrs Shortlisted Candidate For Screening Test Is Out.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.