Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Google Internship Call-up (fictional) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Google Internship Call-up (fictional) (582 Views)

5 Major Reasons Why You Need To Read Non-Fictional Books / Road To Fame (A Fictional Story) / As Deep As The Sea - A Fictional Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Google Internship Call-up (fictional) by DharkPoet(m): 10:43am On Dec 06, 2014
Half way to the kitchen, a short familiar tone stopped me in my tracks, I could feel the tone pierce through the walls of the 2-storeys lodge building, which was enveloped in a weird moment of quietness, the serenity was too awkward. Haba, why the lodge come quiet like this naa? I thought to myself, this lodge was never known for that, it was losing something, it's characteristic boisterous activities. Person die? God forbid, as I instantly waved off the thought of the demise of a fellow student, Sheey police abi na Army march in, order everybody to keep mute? or was it.....? A couple of was-it's were still going through my mind when the intermittent blinking of my Infinix Zero's LED notification indicator caught my lost attention.

Na true oh, I get notification sef, I suddenly remembered, still affixed at the same spot I was, half way. Looking at my device lying on the bed, there was something different about it today, this was a device I've used for 4 months, so what's different bout it today, you'd think, well I thought same too, the difference was a change of the LED notification light, my Facebook notification was blue, Whatsapp was Cyan, but this sharp red Color, was it BBM? Nope, it can't be, wasn't active on that platform, with just 5 contacts to prove that fact (I still wonder, why I've not been drawn into all the BBM rave, that seemed to engulf the Nigerian youth).

So what could it be? With one flick of a finger on the screen, I dragged down the notification bar, it responded rather reluctantly, the panel opened, a couple of other notifications from other Social networking platforms were stacked on the notification panel, but one caught my eye, a new Email, surprisingly, I couldn't figure out why that particular email get my attention, I for one, never took emails that serious, then, I noticed what caught my attention in such fierce manner, it was the header, "GOOGLE INTERNSHIP CALL-UP INTERVIEW "

Hahahahahah, scammers again, na wa oh, wetin sef? Sheey na only me, una wan scam una papa with Google name? Still filled with much doubt and uncertainty, I opened the message, the content of the email was properly structured, but I wasn't anywhere near conviction, Yahoo boys don evolve, me too na sharp guy naa, I ran a thorough diagnostic check on the email, the results came out positive. One phrase was going to be a determinant to prove the authenticity of this email, the phrase went thus:"You would receive a call from Google".

Closely at about Five minutes later, my phone rang, it started with a +(plus), Omo Na international number oh, I went into my archive, and dug out my best and nicest accent, nope, not the oyibo-ish laced with ebonics "I wanna gonna" phoney accent, this accent seemed rather official than hip, it rang a third time, I picked up, a Caucasian female voice greeted me, "Hello", (for my mind, na still them scammers oh smiley) "Hi, Good day", I responded, she went on congratulating me on my success for the next stage of the call-up process, she went on saying I should prepare for the next stage of the interview, with that she ended the call.

With a clenched fist, pointing my arms upwards, I did an "air fist". Finally, after three months of waiting, I was going finally shortlisted, out of over 40000 applicants worldwide, I'm among by the lucky 4000 to get interviewed. Ten long minutes later, I got another call, requesting for my mode of interview, a grape vine - face to face method or a Google Hangout? Shuooo!!! See this folks oh, face to face ke? them think say I dey Yankee? I thought. I hurriedly chose the Google Hangout option. The caller, then told me I'd receive an SMS shortly, with a link to the Hangout.

Beep!! Beep!! SMS don land be that oh, the message also read I should be ready by 2:30pm GMT. Choi see happiness, every entity seemed to have tapped into my sudden overflow of happiness, even the lodge came back to life, was everyone celebrating me all of a sudden? I don finally turn celeb oh! 12:37pm, I better start preparing, African time no follow for this one, I am dealing with Oyibo men!!, feeling like a boss!!
Then it hit me, my laptop was down, no internet subscription, holy cow, no light, no fuel for gen, Choi, kasala wan burst, I put on my Need for Speed cloak, and zoomed off, this interview must hold, by fire by force whether village people like am or not. With that I rushed off, bought Glo NGN1000 for my subscription, bought fuel, enough to charge my laptop fully, I no fit depend on NEPA, lai lai!!!

Every resource needed obtained, time to organize myself, emptied the fuel in the Generator tank, pulled the starter chord, the Gen responded positively, even the Gen was happy with me and supported me fully I thought, then 2 minutes later, the Gen went off. What could the problem be? The plug was a new one, There was enough fuel, the oil was in proportion, so wetin come dey do my "I pass my neighbor"? I went on pulling the chord, at the same time cursing and grunting, blaming everybody and everything for my sudden turn of misfortune. Why my village people wan do me this kind thing naa, wetin be this kwanu? Na wa oh!! These were words and phrases I grunted rather angrily and out of anxiety.

Then came a loud squeaky noise, "kwi-ki, kwi-ki, kwi-ki", it was coming from the room, it was the ceiling fan, the same NEPA people I wrote off, finally came to my rescue, it was 1:45pm I was overjoyed, everything seemed to be under control once again, Village people, una no fit do me anything, I headed over to my PC, turned it on, since it was hibernated, the boot up process was quicker, then what hit me next was real bad-my PC froze, it became totally unresponsive, "common now, what's your own problem kwa? don't do this to me, please", I personified my PC, with those questions, I was getting irritated, anxiety took over my essence, I decided to keep calm, and act rationally. So I brought out the battery, inserted it back, pushed the power button, it responded, well it became lag free and faster, but at the detriment of my lost open files, mostly programming files I had been working on.
With that, I quickly subscribed to the Glo 3gb package, tested my internet speed with nairaland homepage, it was fast enough, double checked it with Google homepage, responded without interruptions, that was satisfactory enough, so I headed to the bathroom, by then it was 1:57pm, so by 2:17pm, I was set, the room was in a perfect condition, I was OK.

Typed in the URL, sent to me earlier, and I waited in high anticipation for my interviewers, by 2:30 on the dot, a man showed up on my screen, he didn't look friendly or act it either, his "Hi" was rather forced, and his eyes seemed like they were scrutinizing me for a perfect base to write me off, I quickly attributed his unfriendliness to the solitude nature of programmers. "Oga park well Abeg, nothing concern me with your unfriendliness Abeg, some peeps for Nigeria here unfriendly pass you" I said to myself, this man quickly cut me short in my train of thoughts in a manner, I perceived as rather rude.

He went on to ask me really technical questions about data structures and implementation of the different sorting techniques, I responded as intelligently as I should, but no matter how much I tried to impress this man, his facial expressions seemed negative, "baba!! them send you? na wa oh, no pour sand for my garri oh!!" I thought loudly, I was scared he could have heard it, because his countenance changed from scary to really spine-chilling, cold-hearted, wicked-stepmom scary kind of look, with that final look, he dismissed me and told me to wait for the second interviewer, I did, and prayed for a more friendly interviewer, if every interviewer was like the first man, then no body go do I.T for Google.

The next interviewer was a lady, beaming with smiles, her "hello" was heartwarming, I replied her greeting with a smile that almost turned into a wide grin, finally my prayer had been answered, a friendly interviewer, she then asked me "From your submission, you seem to have a passion for Python Language, Why is that? Why the preference over other languages?" I responded intelligently, explaining programming concepts and how it was interwoven into the core fabrics of the Python Language. She seemed wowed, an expression in total contrast to that of the previous interviewer.

With that, she told me that was the last interview I'd have, that Google would reach me, with a notification email and call if I was successful, with that I heaved a sigh of relief, a successful interview comes to a successful end. I just have to wait for that email, that single email that would be taking me to Mountain View, California for my Undergraduate internship.

The next fortnight sped really fast, but the past days were laden with anxiety, every message, every beep, every call, in fact anything that happened on/with/around my phone seemed to be from Google, then it happened, the much anticipated email, it was here, my notification panel was housing the much awaited message, a message that would change my life a great deal. I opened the message, it was a congratulatory one, I was going to Mountain View, I am going to California, the message also notified me of a phone call.

Few minutes later, my phone rang, everything was fading, what's happening? the room was losing it's realness, where am I? Then it occurred to me, I was dreaming, come to think of am sef, who even wake me with that call? **Angry**

Abeg make una help me find place for I.T abeg.
Re: Google Internship Call-up (fictional) by timiborokini(m): 4:21pm On Dec 07, 2014
chei why now,this your story too long to be a dream....i almost fall for it.nawa ooo

(1) (Reply)

A Short Story By A Nairalander / Brother "Little" / From Scratch To Cash.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.