Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,804 members, 7,813,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:33 PM

Everything You Should Know About Kill A Watt Meter - Technology Market - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / Everything You Should Know About Kill A Watt Meter (1409 Views)

Integrated All-in-one Solar Street Light 12 Watt/ 20 Watt / 30 Watt / For Sale New Solar Panel 12V / 24V 200 Watt Mono + Solar Charge Controller 15 A / Brand new 8000 Watt Titan High Performance Generator. 8kva Asking N200,000 SOLD! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Everything You Should Know About Kill A Watt Meter by Charpell(m): 6:14pm On Dec 06, 2014
Kill a watt meter is a device you plug between your wall socket and an electrical appliance to find out how much energy the appliance uses.

At home you can plug one into your refrigerator, TV, computer,
microwave, electric heater, stereo etc... And at work you can use one to
check out the energy consumption of various bits of equipment such as
computers, photocopiers, fax machines, and fans. You'll probably be quite surprised at how much electricity some things
use...

Why should i use it?
Believe it or not, some bad electrical items even use energy when they're switched off! These bad items are called "electricity vampires" because they keep sucking electricity until you unplug them or switch them off at the wall. A plug-in meter will enable you to hunt down these electricity vampires and any other
faulty or inefficient equipment that's using more energy than it should... Once you've
found the worst offenders you can repair or replace them, or at least take special care
to switch them off or unplug them when they're not needed. Some appliances, such as refrigerators, can cost a small fortune to run if they're a bit
worse for wear, so it's very important to check such items every so often to ensure
that they're not pouring energy and money down the drain. Even if you don't find any inefficient equipment, using one of these plug-in electricity
usage monitors will almost certainly make you more aware of your energy
consumption, and you can use the figures from it to encourage your co-workers or
family to be more careful about switching things off when they're not needed.

What are the features?
A Watt The basic meters are usually pretty cheap. You can buy the two most popular models from Amazon:

The Kill-A-Watt P4400 Meter -
this is the basic model that lets you read the instantaneous Watts, Volts, Current, Frequency,
Power Factor, and VA, and keeps a running total of kWh (energy
consumption) and the total time since the power was switched on.

The Kill-A-Watt EZ P4460 Meter -
this enhanced model does all the above, but also lets you program in the price you pay for
electricity so it can keep a running total of cost as well as kWh,
and give you projected costs per hour, day, week, month and year.
When you have the kWh, calculating these costs is simple enough,
but it's pretty handy to have the meter do it for you automatically.

The other advantage of the EZ is that it doesn't lose its cumulative totals when it's unplugged or there's a power cut (you have to physically hold the reset button to reset the totals).

1 Like

Re: Everything You Should Know About Kill A Watt Meter by Baryoh007(m): 9:19am On Jul 12, 2015
Pls chapell do you have the kill-a-watt device. I want to buy.I really need to have it. Thanks
Re: Everything You Should Know About Kill A Watt Meter by bluefilm: 9:51am On Jun 13, 2020
Hi Charpell.

I like this Kill A Watt meter 'cause I will be using it in my solar design a lot, but I noticed the sockets are different from what we have in Nigeria.

(1) (Reply)

. / Ipad 4 16GB Sim Card Enable / Monster 24k Headphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.