Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,963 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

My Problem With Nigeria Programers. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / My Problem With Nigeria Programers. (2485 Views)

My Problem With Nigeria Programers. / My Advice To 9ja Programers And Web Developers / How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Nobody: 5:08am On Dec 08, 2014
straight to the point. Its just one!
You guys waste precious time doing
rubish!
Ive seen many apps and games e.g
babalawo and the rest made by a
nigerian programer u first notice poor graphics and user interface, then no
motive for the game, nigerian
programmers loves "loop" (for non-
programers, loop is a name of a
programe action, used in games like
temple run and subway surfers. Which countinusly repeat a statement or lines
of actions in a program until an external
command causes it to stop.) then they
crown it with a useless name.
Im an upcoming programmer who just
started learning android after learning java on my own. I actually study
mechanical enginerring in school. The
best programmers ive met are far from
computer science class. so sometimes i
wish i knw it all like some of u out there.
But if u really want to make it out of programming u need to sit down and
"THINK" Thats the word! THINK.
To explain what i mean, im going to let
out one of my ideas. BREAK
CONTINUE...
First, you want to build an app? Why? Is it for the fun of it or you just want to
pratice what you learnt? Or its what you
do, ur ambition, what you want to use to
earn a life as a human beign, u have to
set ur motives right. If you want to really
get someting out of your app that could change the world and your life for good
u need to think outside the box! U need
to think outside unilag and yabatech, u
need to think outside cchub or your
home, u need to think outside lagos and
abuja, U need to think outside nigeria, look for something the world needs that
is missing in the world or maybe the
world just needs a better version. It
might take u hours or even days to
come up with that perfect app. U dont
just get inspirations when u wake up. So lets assume i tought of this, we knw
people lose thier phones, or the sold it,
changed their phones or gave it away.
One major problem they complain of is
contacts. U call them and u hear "ah
sorry my friend i dont have ur number, my phone was stolen!" stuff like that. So
u build and app thats sync your contacts
every second! I quite aware they re
already existing services that does this,
but non of them are easy to install and
use, and we all knw that. But with a simple app that you can build all u have
to do is to download the app, register
either with phone number, or email. and
its reads all ur contacts and save them
on the server. Each time ure connected
to the internet it will look trough your phone automatically for changes. What u
deleted, would also be deleted on the
server, and new ones would be added
without the user going back to open the
app. So even when the user phone is
stolen, all the user needs to do is to download the app on his new phone and
restore contacts from the cloud(server)
and have his contact back on his phone
just exacly the way it was b4 his phone
was stolen. Its that easy. Now tell me
how this idea of mine is not going to surpass a million downloads? BREAK
CONTINUE....
Now you need to attract people to to
your app. And the first aspect of an item
that attracts u to them is the NAME!
Nigerians generally have bad naming system, we name things anyhow, even
our children we give them bad and
unattractive names, forget whatever the
name means, its like cooking food that is
not sweet and telling us it has nutrients,
who cares? So u wonderful app cant bear a useless name. The name has to
be attractive, simple, a name u can
pronouce once without reading it twice,
even if the user does not speak english.
And finally a name that relates to what
your app does. So i decided to name our app VASE!Vase is a sort or jar you keep
flowers, but in this case we are keeping
your contacts. Im not saying is the
perfect name you can also contribute if u
have a better name. Which also means if
u work with a team, u guys have to plan a meeting to name your app. It is that
important. Extremly important. BREAK
CONTINUE....

CONTINUE....
Another aspect to concider when putting your app together is the Userinterface(UI). The key is simlicity over anything. For example look at nairaland and tell me what you think? The more simple it is, the more beautiful it is, u just need 2 or 3 colours including black, and white background is best unless ur app requires another colour. And u have to keep up with the trend, either android material desingn or iphone flat ui. For our app, im sure u can come up with something. We only need, login page, sign up pape, about us, forgot password, home page which the user uses to adjust settings and a page to restore contacts on the cloud to ur phone for returnin users who loged in on another device. BREAK

Finally.
How to gain from your app. Making your app paid for is a good idea but the the public might not buy the idea. You have to make it in such a way, they cant avoid paying you and at the same time it wont cost a thing. So whats comes to your mind? Adverts? Cool but adverts makes the app ugly unless u fit it in, in a coded way like the way apple and google does thiers. Or maybe users pay by subscibing evey year which would be in app, or maybe by donation, but if u ask me about Vase app, i would say, app is free to download and use, but users has a limited numbers of contacts they can sync. I.e users can sync a max of 100 contacts, but when u need more space, u would need to buy more sits, e.g 50 sits for $0.99 and so on.

All these might take very long time to build and for the app to become popular, even up to 3years, but nothing good comes easy. Its not like the 2 nairalanders that built a valantine game in two days(which was also looping by the way) and are still the way they are by december. But you dont have to lose focus, and work hard. After that, all you need is a team to maintain the app while you will be balling..... THE END.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by networkgenuis: 6:55am On Dec 08, 2014
I've read through your post the second time but yet to understand your point.
You are just being overly naïve.

Don't be too quick to pick holes in someone else's work when you haven't done something better. If you are just a user, it would've made more sense but as an aspiring developer that is just bad.
Heck! You aren't even a pro programmer and here you are badmouthing other people's sweat.

You took your naivety to an irksome height by mentioning the name of other people's work (babalawo) in your drivel.
I will be in the sidelines watching when you will release your 'superior' app. Tired of guys that runs amok, putting down others just because they learnt few lines of code.

6 Likes

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by networkgenuis: 7:40am On Dec 08, 2014
programmers loves "loop" (for non-
programers, loop is a name of a
programe action, used in games like
temple run and subway surfers. Which countinusly repeat a statement or lines
of actions in a program until an external
command causes it to stop.)
Lol, very obvious that your knowledge of codes is very low.
To start with, what do you mean by 'programmers loves loop' ?
Did they submit the lines of code to you? How did you know the number loop statements in the body of their codes?
FYI, loops doesn't generally depend on external input to end, the command can transfer to other lines on code depending on the parameters set by the programmer, could be internal or needing a user input tongue

I actually study
mechanical enginerring in school. The
best programmers ive met are far from
computer science class.
Oh oh.
Now I know the inspiration for your sermon has to do with age long bad belleism that some engineering students has for CS students, just because they learnt few lines of codes.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by emmyvet(m): 8:00am On Dec 08, 2014
runzlord:
You guys waste precious time doing
rubish!.
runzlord:
[s]You guys waste precious time doing
rubish![/s]

Don't call it rubbish till you can give the world the best problem solving app
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 08, 2014
Naija! Please stop discriminating.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by swtdrms(m): 10:24am On Dec 08, 2014
The op raised pertinent issues in his write up, am a programmer and i`ll agree with the points he raised although i`v seen some guys bad mouthing the op already, the issue here is how many Nigerian made app can compete wt apps made by our counterparts in other continents? The fact is we need to face the reality, accept criticism and look for ways to improve. Although those so called "cramp" app takes lots of work, stress and headache to build, its not easy to do but then that's not an excuse not to improve or accept facts...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by nollyj: 10:52am On Dec 08, 2014
@op,

I will suggest or advise you to wait and release your own app(s) before starting this thread. You have a long way to go in this career path.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by networkgenuis: 1:03pm On Dec 08, 2014
swtdrms:
The op raised pertinent issues in his write up, am a programmer and i`ll agree with the points he raised although i`v seen some guys bad mouthing the op already, the issue here is how many Nigerian made app can compete wt apps made by our counterparts in other continents? The fact is we need to face the reality, accept criticism and look for ways to improve. Although those so called "cramp" app takes lots of work, stress and headache to build, its not easy to do but then that's not an excuse not to improve or accept facts...

If you read my first reply to the op, you will see where I said it would've been understandable if he's a just a user and not an aspiring app developer.
He started by saying Nigerian programmers spend time doing rubbish. Imagine the ignorant generalization and that was what pissed me off the most.

I'm not denying the fact that most of our developers are below par, but then you have to take into consideration:
1) The standard of education in Nigeria
2) How rubost and competitive the software industry is
3)Available materials and funds.

You don't expect local softwares to measure up to international standard overnight.
Developing a good app is not a tea party and I believe they will get there with time.
Writing them off at this stage smacks of ignorance.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by ajibigad: 1:07pm On Dec 08, 2014
Wow 21 rules.. lol.. First time here.. This guy is saying the truth. Most of you are just scared cause he is really saying the truth..
Lets face most Naija programmer don't wanna go deeper.. or Read more.. They just love the basic stuffs.. I believe if you wanna create an app pls take your time instead of creating something sub standard and begging us to download and manage it..
Think Global!! Ask yourself this question : Would my application be appreciated worldwide ? Is it a world class standard..
If we all had this mentality then by now we should be seeing Nigerian Zuckerbergs emerge.
We are all in this together.. Lets think GLOBAL and put Nigeria on the programming map. smiley .. Thanks
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by networkgenuis: 1:15pm On Dec 08, 2014
ajibigad:
Wow 21 rules.. lol.. First time here.. This guy is saying the truth. Most of you are just scared cause he is really saying the truth..
Lets face most Naija programmer don't wanna go deeper.. or Read more.. They just love the basic stuffs.. I believe if you wanna create an app pls take your time instead of creating something sub standard and begging us to download and manage it..
Think Global!! Ask yourself this question : Would my application be appreciated worldwide ? Is it a world class standard..
If we all had this mentality then by now we should be seeing Nigerian Zuckerbergs emerge.
We are all in this together.. Lets think GLOBAL and put Nigeria on the programming map. smiley .. Thanks

Lol, my problem with you guys is that you fail to factor in the environment in Nigeria.
In all indices of development, can Nigeria be compared to USA and other software giants?
You have to crawl before you walk guys.

Na small small. We have to start somewhere.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by nollyj: 1:31pm On Dec 08, 2014
It is very easy for people to compare different things without proper analysis.

1. Most people that come here and advertise or publish their apps in Nairaland are mostly indie app and game developers (mostly one and two developers working on an idea)

2. If you are familiar with Google Play you will understand that most popular apps and games are developed by well established companies abroad

Ask yourself why are their software products good and popular in Google Play

1. Some companies have more than 10 developers and designers work on a projects.

2. Most of these companies employ senior and expert app and game developers

3. Most of these companies are back by Venture Capitalist with millions of dollars to spend

4. In Google Play, these companies buy downloads through aggressive advertising that runs in millions of dollars

For Fair comparison

Ecommerce websites in Nigeria like Konga, Jumia and others that have huge financial muscle, are they not doing well?

Until when we have many mobile app and game companies with experience developers and money then I can say it is a fair comparison. If not base your comparison on indie developers.

3 Likes

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 2:59pm On Dec 08, 2014
nollyj:

1. Most people that come here and advertise or publish their apps in Nairaland are mostly indie app and game developers (mostly one and two developers working on an idea)

2. If you are familiar with Google Play you will understand that most popular apps and games are developed by well established companies abroad

1. Some companies have more than 10 developers and designers work on a projects.

3. Most of these companies are back by Venture Capitalist with millions of dollars to spend

4. In Google Play, these companies buy downloads through aggressive advertising that runs in millions of dollars

For Fair comparison

Ecommerce websites in Nigeria like Konga, Jumia and others that have huge financial muscle, are they not doing well?

Until when we have many mobile app and game companies with experience developers and money then I can say it is a fair comparison. If not base your comparison on indie developers.

Not true...

But that's your opinion...

The internet has given people d ability to compete with the big dogs.. practically, putting everyone on the same level.

If a coder has $25 - $50 and an addictive app . .. Then just $25 can change that coders' financial status..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by nollyj: 3:08pm On Dec 08, 2014
GodMode:

Not true...

But that's your opinion...

The internet has given people d ability to compete with the big dogs.. practically, putting everyone on the same level.

If a coder has $25 - $50 and an addictive app . .. Then just $25 can change that coders' financial status..

Easy said than done

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by swtdrms(m): 5:14pm On Dec 08, 2014
@networkguru and nollyj, I agree with u both completely, the challenges programmers face in our clime is enormous; environment, infrastructure, finance, level of training, years of practice etc, and we hope to improve as time goes on, but the op`s point re still valid wch means we`v not bn doin well compared to our counterparts abroad.....wch leads to anoda discussion wch is what is d way out?
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 5:46pm On Dec 08, 2014
swtdrms:
@networkguru and nollyj, I agree with u both completely, the challenges programmers face in our clime is enormous; environment, infrastructure, finance, level of training, years of practice etc, and we hope to improve as time goes on, but the op`s point re still valid wch means we`v not bn doin well compared to our counterparts abroad.....wch leads to anoda discussion wch is what is d way out?

There are no challenges facing nigerian coders.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by swtdrms(m): 6:26pm On Dec 08, 2014
GodMode:

There are no challenges facing nigerian coders.
Mr Oga, re u a programmer? I think i need to hv an idea of the background u re coming from b4 i can start a discussion wt u

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 6:32pm On Dec 08, 2014
swtdrms:

Mr Oga, re u a programmer? I think i need to hv an idea of the background u re coming from b4 i can start a discussion wt u

lipsrsealed lipsrsealedlipsrsealedlipsrsealed lipsrsealedlipsrsealed
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by ajibigad: 7:47pm On Dec 08, 2014
nollyj:

For Fair comparison

This is not completely true!
Take the 2048 game for instance. It was created by an Italian teenager(19 years old) in just one weekend..
Its one of the most played games this year..
What really attracted people to it?
The ease of playing it , the beautiful UI , and the idea itself...
How much did you think it cost him to make the game?
Money isn't always the issue!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by nollyj: 9:05pm On Dec 08, 2014
ajibigad:

This is not completely true!
Take the 2048 game for instance. It was created by an Italian teenager(19 years old) in just one weekend..
Its one of the most played games this year..
What really attracted people to it?
The ease of playing it , the beautiful UI , and the idea itself...
How much did you think it cost him to make the game?
Money isn't always the issue!

There is alway an exception but I am talking in general

Making one game that is successful is not really a business in mobile app development. As time goes on, the app will lose its ranking in the store and the download rate will reduce couple with profit hugely.

Big mobile app and game companies retain/maintain their position through aggressive advertising and buying downloads which indie developers can't afford to compete with.

My point is consistence in innovation and success with many apps and games not just being lucky with one app. This is where big companies matter - money, expertise, experience.

If you know app store business very well you will know that even crappy apps can rank high and become popular

The westerners we talk about, when they see something that is not work perfectly they will find a way to improve it but in Nigeria it is about talking and finding fault without solution. Talk is cheap

I am expecting someone to say I built this app or game because it is better than what is in existence in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 9:37pm On Dec 08, 2014
nollyj:

There is alway an exception but I am talking in general

Making one game that is successful is not really a business in mobile app development. As time goes on, the app will lose its ranking in the store and the download rate will reduce couple with profit hugely.

Big mobile app and game companies retain/maintain their position through aggressive advertising and buying downloads which indie developers can't afford to compete with.

My point is consistence in innovation and success with many apps and games not just being lucky with one app. This is where big companies matter - money, expertise, experience.

If you know app store business very well you will know that even crappy apps can rank high and become popular

The westerners we talk about, when they see something that is not work perfectly they will find a way to improve it but in Nigeria it is about talking and finding fault without solution. Talk is cheap

I am expecting someone to say I built this app or game because it is better than what is in existence in Nigeria

That's your opinion

But how will an app be successful and the coder will allow it to lose its rankings

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Raypawer(m): 8:34am On Dec 09, 2014
long story sad sad sad that's left for those who troll and don't know what to do at a particular time, that will be building game call babalawo tongue, but wait, it could be their passion but not properly packaged. but I think there are lots of work on my table to unveil for Nigeria... think of a mobile app that connects to your gate at home so when ur back home, u just send a command from ur phone and it opens your gate, lock ur gate... that just one, cheesy cheesy cheesy there is a lot to do. I know someone will grab that idea once shocked shocked shocked, but that's just one of my imaginative solutions for Nigeria that will sell wink wink wink
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 9:33am On Dec 09, 2014
Raypawer:
long story sad sad sad that's left for those who troll and don't know what to do at a particular time, that will be building game call babalawo tongue, but wait, it could be their passion but not properly packaged. but I think there are lots of work on my table to unveil for Nigeria... think of a mobile app that connects to your gate at home so when ur back home, u just send a command from ur phone and it opens your gate, lock ur gate... that just one, cheesy cheesy cheesy there is a lot to do. I know someone will grab that idea once shocked shocked shocked, but that's just one of my imaginative solutions for Nigeria that will sell wink wink wink

Why not make the app detect when the owner is near the house then the gate opens then when u walk in it closes autmagically..

sending commands depend on the coders' choice.

1 Like

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Raypawer(m): 3:41pm On Dec 09, 2014
GodMode:

Why not make the app detect when the owner is near the house then the gate opens then when u walk in it closes autmagically..

sending commands depend on the coders' choice.

well, what if some one steals the owners phone, that means he will have free access to the owners house.... but with the app, the owner can lock and open his house remotely wink wink
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by GodMode: 3:50pm On Dec 09, 2014
Raypawer:

well, what if some one steals the owners phone, that means he will have free access to the owners house.... but with the app, the owner can lock and open his house remotely wink wink

U're contradicting yourself..

If the phone is stolen then the app is stolen also. Even with your suggestion the thief will still have access.

App security is another issue entirely.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Raypawer(m): 4:37pm On Dec 09, 2014
GodMode:

U're contradicting yourself..

If the phone is stolen then the app is stolen also. Even with your suggestion the thief will still have access.

App security is another issue entirely.

yep, the app will have a code or thumb print to access, but using it automatically that as the gate dictates the person(through his phone) it will open, that is when it will contradict its self. nd remember it will not be one person, imagine a home, the father, mum, son, daughter... just think
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Urine: 5:05pm On Dec 09, 2014
Naija rookies and their wahala. If you think someone's app is bad develop and release something better. Let the users judge. There's really no point in writing an epistle, Software Development is a hands on career, you won't create an impression by writing stories.
Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by toshodei: 7:43pm On Dec 09, 2014
Personally I think that everyone has a point on this thread but we must all understand that not everybody has enough time/money to compete like the tech giants in the game. We are all trying in each possible way we can. Still, here is NoPay ~> http://nopay.comxa.com/. A search engine for free things online like airtime, data, and etc. I know that getting airtime, credit, data and money on our phones is hard so I created a search engine that will get us these things free or at a discount with deals. I will update as time goes on. Please let me know how you feel. A picture is attached. Thanks and Have A Good Tuesday & A Great Successful Week.

Re: My Problem With Nigeria Programers. by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 10, 2014
@op, you do have a point - but they way you are generalizing and expressing yourself is completely off-point.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Find It Hard Learning Javascript...i Need Help / I Must Learn Spring Boot / Help With This Regular Expression:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.