Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project (3512 Views)

Do you Need A Very Cheap Hosting For A Small Web Project? Just 2k / My Problem With Nigeria Programers. / My Advice To 9ja Programers And Web Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 7:52pm On Aug 20, 2011
big companies have a team of programmers develop a single app(web app specifically). Have u worked in any? Do you know their division of labour? What apps help web developers to work on a single app? How do they guard against errors and know what part each person is scripting? How do they end up comming out with one effective app, as if it was done by one person?
I am doing a large web app, i have already laid down my coding and naming conventions. But all of are confused as to how to work together in an office.
*please this is restricted to web applictation development with php,html,css*

need ur honest contributions pls.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Beaf: 8:41pm On Aug 20, 2011
This is the most basic summary of what you need (each item needs to be researched thoroughly):
1. coding standards (camel, hungarian notation etc - look these up on google).
2. code delivery standards (usually tied to version control software, eg tortoise svn)
3. a project manager (could be any manager for now, but they would NEED to read up on IT project management, experience can't be over-emphasized).
4. A technical lead (a technically sound person to oversee technical standards - usually a technical wiz with great people skills)
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 3:47am On Aug 21, 2011
thanks alot, man. Mr. Beaf, i used think u were just a political pro Gej , GEJ critic(s) assasin. I'll checkout your terms. Starting with version control in the new dreamweaver.
But its like all the systems has to be on the same network at same time?
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by whoelse(m): 6:17am On Aug 21, 2011
Thatdave:

thanks alot, man. Mr. Beaf, i used think u were just a political pro Gej , critic assasin. I'll checkout your terms. Starting with version control in the new dreamweaver.
But its like all the systems has to be on the same network at same time?
Nope.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Fayimora(m): 7:15pm On Aug 21, 2011
[size=16pt]
I think the best answer to your question would be GIT via GITHUB. If am right, you want to work with a lot of developers building a single app and you know everyone would have different code and stuff. You also want to have a version control system so you dont loose any data. If true then you wanna check out github. Its provides you with more than what you even need at no cost!

You have a project and you have a project manager or project managers. The way Github works(in a very basic sense) is;

--> the project managers would have push access to the repository, that is, they are able to update the repository. . .

--> the remaining developers fork this repository which would clone the master repository and give them a copy of it on their local machine.

--> those developers work on their own copy of the project and keep commiting changes. When they have made a significant change, they make a pull request to the main  repository. The pull request is something like, hey boss(Project manager) and fellow developers,  I have made some changes and would like you to view them. NB: am just explaining  what it is, however what you would end up doing is just clicking 2-3 buttons!

--> Everyone looks at it and when y'all come to an agreement, a fetch and merge is made. A fetch and merge is something like, hmm ok these changes are cool and the majority voted it up so am going to incorporate it into the main project. A project manager who has push access would then merge this into the main project.

--> Now, since the main project has changed, all other developers would have to update theirs and again its really simple. All they have to do is fetch the main project from the main repository and merge it into theirs. And hooray the have an updated version!

Now you must know that Githb doesn't save files rathe commit data in binaries and hashes. In essence all these processes would be completed in the blink of an eye. I tried merging a repo that is 2gb from Github and it took less than a minute to complete.

Also, it is IMPOSSIBLE to loose data on github as long as it has been commited.

A lot of the big opensource projects today like Rails, Ruby, JRuby, JRails, jQuery, Sinatra, Moootols, coffe-script, prototype, passenger, Django, Capuccino, linux mirrors, perl mirrors, mongoDB and soo many others use git and github as their server.

Another good thing about github is that you dont need to be online to add files or commit data, everything done locally and when you are ready, you can push data to the server.

If you are keen on using svn, well your choice, github also provides you with a way to manage your svn repository!

Sorry for the long post, am a die hard Github fan so i kinda know a lot about it.
[/size]
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 8:11pm On Aug 21, 2011
@beaf i just searched with your terms. google just showed me some nice softwares that culd save me sometime. I'll check that out. Feed you back later.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Beaf: 1:31am On Aug 22, 2011
^
Glad I could help.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 2:46am On Aug 22, 2011
@fayimora thanks a lot. This is probably the best explanation i have found on github.
I have a git for windows app but i never used it for anything else. I just downloaded it as a walkaround to opening a particular batch file that often shuts down after i opened it normally. I'll check that out soon
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Fayimora(m): 3:37am On Aug 22, 2011
Cooll. I could give you a whole bunch of tuts. JUst tell me what you wanna do and amma tell you how to smiley
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Demdem(m): 8:36am On Aug 22, 2011
Beaf:

^
Glad I could help.

What the heck is going on here Please you guys should move with caution. Anyone that has anything to do with the confirmed LIAR called THE BEAF is on his own. He really needs to clear his name before being welcomed in the midst of decent peeps.
You have been warned.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Fayimora(m): 1:17pm On Aug 22, 2011
Errm i think the question goes to you, what is going on here? Why you bringing this up in the middle of nowhere without any backup. Your gonna have to be detailed enough or I would have to delete your post!
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Demdem(m): 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^^^

honestly its a really long story. refer to below. it may shed more light for u to know whom u are dealing with.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-741011.160.html#msg8979852
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 22, 2011
Really it can be confusing as to delegating teams to ceratin aspect in the last organization i worked that was what caused the death of our projects. 5 people working on the module and each of us writing in different styles. My Solution is this

1.HTML/CSS-at least top 2 people can handle this one takes over the HTML and the other CSS,while one focuses on the markup the other focuses on Browser Compatibility
2.Client Scripting(JS)-These parts is a bit daunting because especially with JavaScript you will encounter loads of incompatibility so at least One Guru is needed for this and he will work close to the HTML/CSS Team
3.The Server Team:The lucky dudes who only focus on Logics and sometimes work in hand with the Business Developers who are in charge of modelling the App requirements and also work with the Database dude.
4.Business Developers/Project Manager:They decide the requirements and how the app should be built,they are usually Developers or people with knowledge on Application Design and stuff.

This is my personal opinion oh.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 22, 2011
besides am embarrassed that i don't know how to fully use GIT. it should be the ideal project
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:11pm On Aug 22, 2011
@Beaf Kana de Baki Walahi grin
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 22, 2011
Sorry, i dont have much time to arrange my thoughts, so bear with me

the lesser the coders, the better
you get a lot done without confusion

break it into modules
e.g

a media player can be a module
that has other dependent files
the media player developer has to provide convenient methods and make them public

all that will be done will be calling something like

new mediaPlayer(fileToPlay:String, autoPlay:Boolean,startTime:int, onCompleteFunctionCall:Function=null)

everyone needs not know whats in mediaPlayer class

agree on coding styles and patterns, everyone MUST comply
get everyone to state what each page does at the start of the page, that way if one of the team members wins a lottery, the project lives on
then document as he codes along.
let variable names be more descriptive

something like

firstUser="blabla"

is better than

//create first user
a="blabla"

it's so easy to get carried away with gists, from 1 technology talk to another, avoid this
more why you need a project manager
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 22, 2011
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 5:26pm On Aug 22, 2011
sledjama:

Sorry, i dont have much time to arrange my thoughts, so bear with me

the lesser the coders, the better
you get a lot done without confusion

break it into modules
e.g

a media player can be a module
that has other dependent files
the media player developer has to provide convenient methods and make them public

all that will be done will be calling something like

everyone needs not know whats in mediaPlayer class

agree on coding styles and patterns, everyone MUST comply
get everyone to state what each page does at the start of the page, that way if one of the team members wins a lottery, the project lives on
then document as he codes along.
let variable names be more descriptive

something like

is better than

it's so easy to get carried away with gists, from 1 technology talk to another, avoid this
more why you need a project manager
experience talking
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by instinctg(m): 5:38pm On Aug 22, 2011
using a good framework would also help
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by NET1(m): 5:41pm On Aug 22, 2011
I was having similar challenges too,

.NET
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Thatdave(m): 9:40pm On Aug 22, 2011
instinctg:

using a good framework would also help
am using one.
.NET:

I was having similar challenges too,

.NET
so how are you coping
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Fayimora(m): 9:50pm On Aug 22, 2011
Mobinga:

He was banned by the spam bot. It is not your doing that he got banned, don't be ridiculous, you have no such authority.
Take whatever problems you have with Beaf out of this thread, you are derailing it. You would get banned if you make any other irrelevant post on this thread.

Also getting a ban is not a big deal, it doesn't make you superior to him if he gets banned.

Thread softly? You are obviously a clown. Now please get the phuck out of here.

Thanks pal,

Thatdave:

am using one. so how are you coping
You kinda seems a bit confused, Would be nice if you could just state EXACTLY what you are having problems with,
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 23, 2011
I quite agree that the best way out is GITHub. It is more easier to use compared to the Tortoise and others.
@pc guru, it is quite easy to learn how to use - it is very well documented online.

You just download something like a kinda ms-dos shell and it has a gui component too.

You can use a framework or do the whole thing from the scratch - depends on what you are trying to do.
And i will like to advise that it is better to do OOP programming, so you just share out the various tasks
as modules/extensions.

Doing 100% procedural programming is a very f**ed up way when working on large projects
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 23, 2011
*dhtml:

I quite agree that the best way out is GITHub. It is more easier to use compared to the Tortoise and others.
@pc guru, it is quite easy to learn how to use - it is very well documented online.

You just download something like a kinda ms-dos shell and it has a gui component too.

You can use a framework or do the whole thing from the scratch - depends on what you are trying to do.
And i will like to advise that it is better to do OOP programming, so you just share out the various tasks
as modules/extensions.

Doing 100% procedural programming is a very f**ed up way when working on large projects

seconded!
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 23, 2011
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 23, 2011
I am talking from my experience in creating PHP / MySQL Apps which i presume the poster is trying to create.
And sledjama too works in a similar fashion as myself. We are not talking of your core software building langs here.

Maybe you should re-read the thread from the begining to get the full picture of what is going on here first.

Anyway, i dont expect everyone to agree with me, i am only speaking from my experience of working on large
web apps and frameworks and cmses.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 23, 2011
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 7:45am On Aug 23, 2011
I think you should share your experience with the poster as well, so that the poster use his common sense to select which one is the best.
Rather than tackle me (which is completely unnecessary - i have proven myself over and over again in webmasters).
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 8:01am On Aug 23, 2011
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 23, 2011
omo_to_dun:

^
Oh my God. I wasn't tackling you. It seems you feel like your comments shouldn't be criticized given your experience both on NL and in your work. You happen to be amongst the programmers I respect on NL and they are very few, less than five to be precise. I probably shouldn't have written anything. Beaf has already echoed my sentiments and it would have been superfluous and unnecessary to write what he had already written.
Please stop the digressions and contribute positively to the thread like others. I am not perfect, but i feel i have contributed as best as i can.
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 23, 2011
No probs then, we are fine
Re: How To Work With A Team Of Programers On A Web Project by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 23, 2011
Yawatide criticized me most of the time, i dont take offence, i improve all the time.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Skills / Oracle Vs Sql Server / How To Hack Someone's Cell Phone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.