Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,383 members, 7,826,500 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:09 PM

Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? (4993 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months? / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 11:10pm On Dec 03, 2008
I have noticed that many Afro-Caribbean's (I don't know if it's the same for the North and South Afro-Americans) have an abject fear of water or being immersed into water. A friend I knew could not have a ladel of water poured over his head or they'd freak out. Another person I heard of, who was also West Indian, could not do the same. I then watched a program with another W.I and he could not do the same. I havent noticed this behaviour with 'Continental Africans' ( ). Could this fear be linked to their ancestors experiences in slavery, or are my observations inccorect. I don't know, but they do say DNA has memory and something like this can lead to many things such as a person inheriting an ancestors talent/skills without necessarily knowing about them. It doesn't have to be 'spiritual'. Look at this article for example. . . .

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/aalives/stories/149.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11172054
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by April22(f): 12:18am On Dec 04, 2008
[quote][/quote]

I'm going to guess and say it has something to do with hurricanes. I remember after Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, FEMA had the major cruise ships off the coast of Texas for people who had evacuated to live there temporarily. Hardly anyone went there because they said the last place they wanted to be surrounded by water after what happened to them. But on the other hand, a lot of AAs aren't exactly crazy about going swimming or getting rained on, so maybe your theory on slavery checks out.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by blackspade(m): 2:02am On Dec 04, 2008
Maybe you're onto something. African-Americans are the same, with about 60% of African-American children not knowing how to swim.

http://www.amren.com/mtnews/archives/2008/05/60_percent_of_b.php
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 12:33pm On Dec 04, 2008
Thanks for your replies, this is interesting. . . .
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by lazy(m): 2:27pm On Dec 04, 2008
That is an interesting hypothesis? I have no idea,
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2008
lazy:

That is an interesting hypothesis?    I have no idea,

Could you explain what you meant please? I don't know the point you were trying to get across.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by lazy(m): 6:14pm On Dec 04, 2008
ezeagu:

Could you explain what you meant please? I don't know the point you were trying to get across.

I was just saying that the idea of a linkage with Slavery sounded interesting and I really had no idea if is could have some validity or not.

It is true that the African Diaspora ( decendants of enslaved Africans in the Western Hemisphere) are not normally seen taking part in much water sports. However, that mere observation really isn't anything concrete.

I am just enjoying seeing what information is brought up in this thread.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Ibime(m): 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2008
Slaves simply did not have time for leisure activities like swimming. Most encounters with water ended up in drowning. . . . once bitten, twice shy. . . . I am sure if you heard that someone from your town drowned, you wouldn't wanna go near the water.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 6:56pm On Dec 04, 2008
Ibime:

Slaves simply did not have time for leisure activities like swimming. Most encounters with water ended up in drowning. . . . once bitten, twice shy. . . . I am sure if you heard that someone from your town drowned, you wouldn't want to go near the water.

I understand what your saying, but I'm talking someone as young as 5 born in the UK and doesn't know much about the Caribbean in the first place, or its history.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by masawa: 10:21pm On Dec 04, 2008
lmao ,nigerians care much more about caribeans or black americans than nigerians . .nigeria is on fire thes days with tribal war like always ,you are savages and very tribalistic grin .if you go to other forums people don't even know nigerians exist except when it come to scams ,corruption .ahahhahaha grin grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 11:41pm On Dec 04, 2008
masawa:

lmao ,nigerians care much more about caribeans or black americans than nigerians . .nigeria is on fire  thes days with tribal war like always ,you are savages and very tribalistic  grin .if you go to other forums people don't even know nigerians exist except when it come to scams ,corruption .ahahhahaha grin grin

Thanks for your input masawa.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 05, 2008
hehhehe grin grin grin Yepp yepp tongue
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nnenna1(f): 1:34am On Dec 05, 2008
ezeagu:

Thanks for your input masawa.

lol hehe.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 15, 2012
ummm no!

many caribbeans including myself swim like fishes!

just yesterday i went for an hour and a half long swim.
i absolutely love the water lol trust me, it has nothing to do with slavery. grin

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2012
Ok so then what do you link to with the majority of Africans afraid of water?. Is it also due to colonialism? Or What do you also link the majority of caucasians also afraid of water to? Perhaps due to Roman colonization?

Why do people always find ways to connect and link the unlinkable.

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2012
^^only the ones with no common sense do such things.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Sep 19, 2012
BelaMorena: ummm no!

many caribbeans including myself swim like fishes!

just yesterday i went for an hour and a half long swim.
i absolutely love the water lol trust me, it has nothing to do with slavery. grin

which reminds me o,
i need to go swimming again before the pool closes for the season. undecided
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by MrsChima1(f): 11:24pm On Sep 19, 2012
Every since I started dating and married Chima his arse always want to throw and dunk me in the water! Then his arse be want to get freaky in the water.....arggggggggggh!
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 20, 2012
Mrs..Chima:
Every since I started dating and married Chima his arse always want to throw and dunk me in the water! Then his arse be want to get freaky in the water.....arggggggggggh!

grin

Something is wrong with this woman. What ever it is, i love it! grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by MrsChima(f): 12:17am On Sep 20, 2012
*Kails*:

grin

Something is wrong with this woman. What ever it is, i love it! grin

Just sayn slavery has nothing to do with fear of water and i am more fear of water cos i know a water black condo gon find its way to my watery cavern.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 12:26pm On Sep 20, 2012
nyameke: Ok so then what do you link to with the majority of Africans afraid of water?. Is it also due to colonialism? Or What do you also link the majority of caucasians also afraid of water to? Perhaps due to Roman colonization?

Why do people always find ways to connect and link the unlinkable.

The majority of Africans aren't afraid of water. This is actually a problem in the United States and Caribbean:

This phenomenon is not only African American. Believe it or not, we have the same problem in the Caribbean. Although we are surrounded by sea, many children of African descent in the Caribbean just cannot swim. There is some initiative lately, especially in Antigua and Barbuda, but it is not ingrained in black culture.

Ernest Merrill, Antigua and Barbuda

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 12:37pm On Sep 20, 2012
ezeagu:

The majority of Africans aren't afraid of water. This is actually a problem in the United States and Caribbean:

how did you know majority of Africans aren't afraid of water. Any idea or statistics how you came about that?
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 4:07pm On Sep 20, 2012
nyameke: how did you know majority of Africans aren't afraid of water. Any idea or statistics how you came about that?

You can be the one to prove that majority of Africans are afraid of water. As for me, I've never heard of Africans on coastal regions not being able to swim, along with that many people in Nigeria for example take baths, wash, and fish in rivers, lakes, and streams.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
As an authentic caribbean i am saying this theory is highly flawed. None of us were on slave ships therefore we dont "suffer post traumatic stress disorder thus afriad to swim". Lol. Its ludicrous.

Only one member of my family fears large bodies of water and only in the deep end. (get your mind out of the gutter).
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 20, 2012
And fyi i know plenty of continental africans who cant and some dont want to learn how to swim lol.

Its all about the individual.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
Mrs.Chima:

Just sayn slavery has nothing to do with fear of water and i am more fear of water cos i know a water black condo gon find its way to my watery cavern.

-_-

Chima......
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by MrsChima1(f): 5:13pm On Sep 20, 2012
*Kails*:

-_-

Chima......

Whatttttttttt? grin grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 5:43pm On Sep 20, 2012
ezeagu:

You can be the one to prove that majority of Africans are afraid of water. As for me, I've never heard of Africans on coastal regions not being able to swim, along with that many people in Nigeria for example take baths, wash, and fish in rivers, lakes, and streams.
what's the total population of Africans who live in coastal areas? And out of those who live in coastal areas, what percentage actually knows how to swim. Because I know living in coastal areas alone does not give one an affinity or inherent knowledge of swimming..

Cmon son your contention albeit interesting is flawed and you know it.. Majority of the population in the world don't know how to swim period. The inhumane treatment of Caribbeans during slavery has nothing to do with their disdain and knack for going days without dipping in or touching water grin grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 5:55pm On Sep 20, 2012
*Kails*:
And fyi i know plenty of continental africans who cant and some dont want to learn how to swim lol.

Exactly.. Most people do not know how to swim period.. jamaicans just have a higher percentage that's all tongue
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 11:50pm On Sep 20, 2012
*Kails*:

That's different to people who live in Nigeria or in rural areas where they have access to water or the people who have lived on an island since birth. You can say you know many that down't know how to cultivate yam. I understand it doesn't apply to everyone, but the problem is worse among people of African descent in the Americas wether they are near water or not. It's also less about fear, than being cautious about learning to swim or entering water.

nyameke: what's the total population of Africans who live in coastal areas? And out of those who live in coastal areas, what percentage actually knows how to swim. Because I know living in coastal areas alone does not give one an affinity or inherent knowledge of swimming..

Cmon son your contention albeit interesting is flawed and you know it.. Majority of the population in the world don't know how to swim period. The inhumane treatment of Caribbeans during slavery has nothing to do with their disdain and knack for going days without dipping in or touching water grin grin

It's not about being flawed, is about finding the cause of the problem of many people of African descent in the America's not being able to swim. The reason I suggested, which can be argued, and the problem, which is real, are different. There are millions of people living on the coast of Africa, although many of these are migrants from the interior. There's a infamous stilt slum in Lagos. The most revered indigenous coastal groups include the Kru, and the Ijaw, and then there are subgroups of other larger ethnic groups.

I can vouch for Nigeria and say that the majority of the indigenous people of the coast and river banks know how to swim, and are very experienced with boating and fishing. Apparently, the same can't be said with people in Caribbean nations surrounded by water. There's also a war canoe tradition all over the coasts of West and West Central Africa, you can't be warring in canoes for centuries and not have knowledge of swimming.

These people below live miles away from any coast, but you can see them swimming in the river (Imo River) without any aid.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-CQ8RJ8EfjBs/TqSbHlgnNgI/AAAAAAAAAq8/lOPxxsKBDP0/s400/AN00059327_001_l.jpg[/img]

nyameke: Exactly.. Most people do not know how to swim period.. jamaicans just have a higher percentage that's all tongue

Why?
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 3:06am On Sep 21, 2012
*edited*

just realized you are an ally! grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 3:08am On Sep 21, 2012
ezeagu:

That's different to people who live in Nigeria or in rural areas where they have access to water or the people who have lived on an island since birth. You can say you know many that down't know how to cultivate yam. I understand it doesn't apply to everyone, but the problem is worse among people of African descent in the Americas wether they are near water or not. It's also less about fear, than being cautious about learning to swim or entering water.

again, those who cant swim do not have interest or have a natural fear of water (deep end).
it has nothing to do with slavery.

its the same in africa. I can guarantee you most continental africans cannot swim or do not have interest.

what kind of flawed logic that? oh "their ancestors have been swimming for centuries but they can't so its bc of slavery"? grin gtfoh

http://mnatjegs..com/2012/07/80-of-nigerians-cannot-swim.html

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Left Hand / GTA 5 Free Money Generator Without Human Verification / Beauty Of Our Yoruba Future. . . Our Children!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.