Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,359 members, 7,843,069 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? (5000 Views)

The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / Why Are People Afraid Of 'EMBER' Months? / Caribbean Indigenes Speak Igbo & Yoruba Languages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 3:38am On Sep 21, 2012
another reason why somalis are not black.

we are pirates and traders. the water is our playground
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 5:03am On Sep 21, 2012
*Kails*:

again, those who cant swim do not have interest or have a natural fear of water (deep end).
it has nothing to do with slavery.

its the same in africa. I can guarantee you most continental africans cannot swim or do not have interest.

what kind of flawed logic that? oh "their ancestors have been swimming for centuries but they can't so its bc of slavery"? grin gtfoh

http://mnatjegs..com/2012/07/80-of-nigerians-cannot-swim.html

I can't think of any other reason why people who live near the sea or some other bodies of water are not mostly able to swim. If you look at ancestry as well, you'd find that it was the riverine areas that many of the people taken as slaves were captured from, the same area the site claimed 63% could swim. There has always been attitudes in societies as a result of the past. An example can be seen in Sicily where people are very family orientated because of the distrust caused by centuries of invasions, and so on.

I'm not implying that people in the Caribbean look at water and start running because they remember slavery, no, it's more of something passed down like 'don't go near the sea where you can be recaptured and taken off to another island' or if they were stopped from swimming for obvious reasons and this passed along and just stuck. But I find it to be too much of a coincidence that all the descendants of enslaved Africans have this problem, from an island with surrounded by beach, to a city built on a swamp in front of a gulf.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 5:29am On Sep 21, 2012
ezeagu:

I can't think of any other reason why people who live near the sea or some other bodies of water are not mostly able to swim. If you look at ancestry as well, you'd find that it was the riverine areas that many of the people taken as slaves were captured from, the same area the site claimed 63% could swim. There has always been attitudes in societies as a result of the past. An example can be seen in Sicily where people are very family orientated because of the distrust caused by centuries of invasions, and so on.

I'm not implying that people in the Caribbean look at water and start running because they remember slavery, no, it's more of something passed down like 'don't go near the sea where you can be recaptured and taken off to another island' or if they were stopped from swimming for obvious reasons and this passed along and just stuck. But I find it to be too much of a coincidence that all the descendants of enslaved Africans have this problem, from an island with surrounded by beach, to a city built on a swamp in front of a gulf.

dont go near water or i will enslave u mrsdarksin, i will make u my sexxxx slave
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 21, 2012
ezeagu:

epic fail man. give it up.
i posted a link saying an even higher percentage or nigerians alone can't swim (so imagine the continent's figures!) and you are still rambling about slavery. on my jamo side ONCE AGAIN, JUST ABOUT EVERYONE can swim!!

I taught myself how to swim following a trip to jamaica @ 7 years old after seeing kids my age swimming @ Dun's River Falls. I swam like a fish on my own before getting professional lessons to sharpen up my skills. Just about every Jamo I know personally has skills in the water with the exception of mi madre. grin

I told you its all about interest and lifestyle it has nothing to do with slavery.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Sep 21, 2012
somalia5:

dont go near water or i will enslave u mrsdarksin, i will make u my sexxxx slave

ENSLAVE THESE NUTS.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 2:33pm On Sep 21, 2012
Okay, let's just pretend that the majority of people of African descent on the islands of the Caribbean's have an ability to swim and forget that the majority of Africans don't ever get to see a lake, let alone a sea. It's just because of 'lifestyle' that over 60% of Africans living in riverine areas of Africa are able to swim and boat. Hundreds of people of African descent drowned in New Orleans because of a chosen lifestyle, despite being bayou people.

This phenomenon is not only African American. Believe it or not, we have the same problem in the Caribbean. Although we are surrounded by sea, many children of African descent in the Caribbean just cannot swim. There is some initiative lately, especially in Antigua and Barbuda, but it is not ingrained in black culture.

Ernest Merrill, Antigua and Barbuda

I agree with Ernest's comment above. It is a Caribbean and African problem too - I am in Barbados and many of the blacks on the island (including myself) like to be where our feet can touch the ground. While I can do most strokes, I have a fear of being really far out - this is something I have tried working on with many swimming classes but I haven't gotten there yet - I will not give up, I'm not yet 30 and I don't think you are ever too old to learn. I noted the same phenomena in West Africa when I was there earlier this year, all the people swimming in the ocean were the white tourists and visitors, the blacks stayed close to the shore, and one of my friends noted it is the same in East Africa - while the comments noted above issues such as segregation etc. I am really fascinated about this widespread trend across the globe amongst blacks. I jokingly tell my friends our fear of the ocean is ingrained in the "boat trip" our ancestors faced during the slave trade. I am not one to harp on slavery and its impacts but I honestly really wonder sometimes.

Liesl Harewood, Barbados
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Lies!

I don't even know why this discussion was resurrected.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2012
^^^^ Cmon son I know you're intelligent so don't disappoint me. The Harewood guy acknowledged that the problem seems not to be just not an African American or Caribbean thing but Africans as well. He even cited his observations and experiences in west Africa and east Africa to back up his postulations however true or not..

So
1. if the assertion, based on observations from blacks in the diaspora is that , blacks in Africa seems to have the same problem
2. The enslaved diasporian blacks came from blacks in Africa
3. Blacks in Africa were not enslaved or forced to cross the ocean

Therefore its safe to say in this case that it is a " black" problem and not just diasporians. So then why the infatuation with linking the problem to slavery ? .. the guy you quoted from even said he jokingly attributes it slavery. Yet instead of dwelling on the main message he was making which is; its a " black" problem, you rather for whatever reason dwelled on his mundane point connecting it to slavery. Which was a joke to begin with..

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 11:10pm On Sep 21, 2012
nyameke: ^^^^ Cmon son I know you're intelligent so don't disappoint me. The Harewood guy acknowledged that the problem seems not to be just not an African American or Caribbean thing but Africans as well. He even cited his observations and experiences in west Africa and east Africa to back up his postulations however true or not..

So
1. if the assertion, based on observations from blacks in the diaspora is that , blacks in Africa seems to have the same problem

Therefore its safe to say in this case that it is a " black" problem and not just diasporians. So then why the infatuation with linking the problem to slavery ? .. the guy you quoted from even said he jokingly attributes it slavery. Yet instead of dwelling on the main message he was making which is; its a " black" problem, you rather for whatever reason dwelled on his mundane point connecting it to slavery. Which was a joke to begin with..

somali people dont have problems swimming.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 11:11pm On Sep 21, 2012
nyameke: ^^^^ Cmon son I know you're intelligent so don't disappoint me. The Harewood guy acknowledged that the problem seems not to be just not an African American or Caribbean thing but Africans as well. He even cited his observations and experiences in west Africa and east Africa to back up his postulations however true or not..

So

[size=38pt]op just got SLAYED!!!!!![/size] grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 11:12pm On Sep 21, 2012
*Kails*:

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 21, 2012
i have beef with you. angry

we're not friends anymore!
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 11:15pm On Sep 21, 2012
*Kails*:
i have beef with you. angry

we're not friends anymore!

u have beef for me. i have a big susage for u. cheesy

come on boo boo...smile for me

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 21, 2012
somalia5:

u have beef for me. i have a big susage for u. cheesy

come on boo boo...smile for me

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 11:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
that does kinda look like ur face.

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 21, 2012
lame.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 11:39pm On Sep 21, 2012
somali people can swim. we have the longest coast in africa. inshallah like scientist predict our land mass will break away and leave africa

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 12:11am On Sep 22, 2012
somalia5:

somali people dont have problems swimming.
lol of course not we all know 90 percent of somalians are pirates...

On a serious note no one is saying all black people can't swim though ..
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 12:37am On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: lol of course not we all know 90 percent of somalians are pirates...

On a serious note no one is saying all black people can't swim though ..

right.

because i am black and i swim VERY good.
in fact the last thing on my mind when I go to the pool is something that happened 500 years ago. tongue

@ali,
is he hawiye?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdcLVZBL5d8
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 1:02am On Sep 22, 2012
i dont know...but ur only a hawiye or darod if your father is....so ur mom could be darod but if ur dad is hawiye u still hawiye...

i dont know his clan....there are 4 big clans that are somali. only famous peoples clan i know...not some kid...

why u ask?
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 2:53am On Sep 22, 2012
oh ok.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by somalia5: 3:26am On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:
oh ok.

mrsdarkskin ur asssss is mine cheesy
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 2:52pm On Sep 22, 2012

So

Over 63% of people in riverine areas of Africa can swim. Caribbean nations are full of water and most can't. The person from Barbados made that statement "wondering", this thread was opened four years ago wondering the same thing. A few comments ago people were arguing against many people in the Caribbean being unable to swim and having a fear of water until I quoted the person from Barbados and Antigua that made the situation seem even worse. None of you understand what the discussion is about. That's all.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 3:11pm On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

You helped the thread by bringing in info about the amount of riverine people that could swim which showed that this was not a 'Black-African' problem.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 3:29pm On Sep 22, 2012
Lol didn't even realize the thread was resurrected from the dead..

Btw I understand where you coming from and your " wondering" but the point is linking the problem to slavery is preposterous ..

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by ezeagu(m): 4:13pm On Sep 22, 2012
It can't be more preposterous than assuming that this is a black problem, especially when it's a significant event that has shaped the culture of the Caribbean islands.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 22, 2012
ezeagu:

You helped the thread by bringing in info about the amount of riverine people that could swim which showed that this was not a 'Black-African' problem.

wtf are you talking about?

i dont remember doing that and even if that did, it doesn't make sense.
now you are implying no caribbean person can swim then. the article clear shows it depends on interest, natural fear, and lifestyle.

stp trying to make this into what it is not. 80 percent of nigerians don't know how to swim, but that doesn't mean NONE of them can does it?

bro just make a thread with a poll asking your fellow 9jas if they can swim.
dont mention this thread though.. come up with a way to get them to honestly answer this question. and lets see the results. smiley
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: Lol didn't even realize the thread was resurrected from the dead..

Btw I understand where you coming from and your " wondering" but the point is [size=18pt]linking the problem to slavery is preposterous ..[/size]

lol as a caribbean i am bewildered, shocked, amazed and offended @ the notion! grin
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 4:31pm On Sep 22, 2012
ezeagu:

how is it not a black African problem.. Even if those statistics are true because I doubt the 63 percentage ..

What's the culture and occupation of these Africans that live on these riverbanks.. how important is the rivers to their livelihood and survival.

Also how many people in the Caribbean live on river banks and have their livelihood /occupation and survival tied to the water.

Been surrounded by the sea does not guarantee that you will know how to swim.. if you have a lifestyle where you're doing 9- 5 and a culture where the people don't really care much about water. They are not going to go that much near the water to swim..

Lagos is pretty much surrounded by water and the sea but I can assure you that the majority of the people do not know how to swim.. They are out there rather hustling to get a living than worry about going for a swim ..

1 Like

Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 22, 2012
^^^
not trying to put you on blast,
but i feel like i know you..
is this your only id?
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 22, 2012
nyameke: how is it not a black African problem.. Even if those statistics are true because I doubt the 63 percentage ..

What's the culture and occupation of these Africans that live on these riverbanks.. how important is the rivers to their livelihood and survival.

Also how many people in the Caribbean live on river banks and have their livelihood /occupation and survival tied to the water.

Been surrounded by the sea does not guarantee that you will know how to swim.. if you have a lifestyle where you're doing 9- 5 and a culture where the people don't really care much about water. They are not going to go that much near the water to swim..

Lagos is pretty much surrounded by water and the sea but I can assure you that the majority of the people do not know how to swim.. They are out there rather hustling to get a living than worry about going for a swim ..

once again,

*Kails*:
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 4:46pm On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:
^^^
not trying to put you on blast,
but i feel like i know you..
is this your only id?
Of course you know me in our past life. We are connected wink

This has always been my first Id and last. I just don't usually post much.. I'm usually at the religious section but the ignorance got too much for me so I left.
Re: Why are more Afro Caribbean's afraid of water? by nyameke: 4:50pm On Sep 22, 2012
*Kails*:

lol as a caribbean i am bewildered, shocked, amazed and offended @ the notion! grin
lol see drama .Alright then sue him for a bottle of Jamaican Rum

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

GTA 5 Free Money Generator Without Human Verification / A-z:list Of Oba’s That Have Ruled The Ancient Benin Kingdom((1180-present) / Let's End The 'Osu' Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.