Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,774 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway (3900 Views)

PROVE to show that Making First class In UNI Is Harder Than Distinction In POLY / 10 Things You Should Do Before Your Final Year In School / NANS Can’t Shut Private Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by shevymania(m): 4:37pm On Dec 08, 2014
Empirical proof helps us validate what we should and shouldn’t believe, but sometimes cold hard facts just aren’t available. Even when we don’t have solid proof, however, humans still tend to extend their sense of belief to certain phenomenon. From things we could never see with the human eye to life forms that have yet to be verified, here are the top 10 things we believe despite a lack of verifiable proof.

10 Aliens

While conspiracy theories and UFO sightings abound, we don’t have verifiable proof that other lifeforms exist in the space beyond our own planet. Still, many people firmly believe that there is life on other planets, or that life did exist at some point in the past. From video claims of inexplicable objects in the sky, to personal testimonials from people who say they’ve been taken into a spacecraft, we want to believe that there is more to life than what is on our own planet even if it has yet to be scientifically proven as fact.

9 Astrology

The notion of astrology is not a new one; people have been making major life decisions by the stars for centuries. Without any real proof that the way the planets and stars are aligned will actually shape a person, we believe that if we are born under a certain zodiac sign we are bound to a particular disposition and set of skills. Daily horoscopes and astrological charts have become a guiding tool for many people, who truly think that one’s birth date determines her fate and can help her make day-to-day decisions.

8 Cryptids

Cryptids are animals whose existence has never been proven by science, such as Bigfoot or the infamous West Virginia Mothman. Enough sightings and amateur photographs exist that we consider it possible that these creatures really do walk or swim the Earth with us, even though they don’t exist in museums and aren’t officially acknowledged. Until the Loch Ness monster or another cryptid is captured, they will continue to be merely mystical creatures of which no proof exists.

7 Ghosts

Anyone who claims to have seen a ghost might say that there is proof of spirit life, but skeptics would argue that any ghostly sighting can be explained away by lighting tricks or other logical reasons. At the end of the day, there may never be indisputable, tangible proof of ghosts. While ghost hunters have electronic tools meant to measure ghost activity, results are open to interpretation. Yet, we believe in ghostly encounters and phenomenon – that when things go bump in the night or move suddenly, a ghost can be the cause.

6 Psychic Mediums

Psychic mediums purport to talk to people who have died and gone to “the other side.” Mediums convey details that they supposedly hear from the deceased to loved ones who are still alive. Despite any way to really measure how psychics come by the information they doll out, we believe that they are someone seeing and hearing signs from dead people. While psychic mediums offer a less than 100% accuracy rate, the desire to speak to our dead family and friends is so great that we overlook their mistakes and grant them the benefit of the doubt.

5 Karma

Whether you call it karma, or just “what goes around comes around,” people have a common belief that the behavior you exhibit today somehow informs what happens to you down the road. With no more than anecdotal proof, we think that acting morally or fairly now will yield positive things for us in the future. Despite the simple fact that we can never prove that karma exists, it remains a principle that many people live by in the hopes that they can reap the benefits it promises.

4 Intuition

Call it a gut feeling, or intuition, but we believe that sometimes a sixth sense provides us silent guidance. Intuition can tell us when to distrust someone, end a marriage, avoid a certain street, or steer us in any number of directions. With seemingly no logical explanation, our intuition helps us make decisions with confidence and allows us feel like we are making a decision based on a trusted power that is bigger than ourselves. We give intuition credit for showing us which way to go when we hit a fork in the road.

3 Fate

The phrase “everything happens for a reason” is thrown around quite a bit, especially after something unfortunate happens. While we have no real reason to suspect that there is a sense of reason to life’s events, we tell ourselves that certain events – if not all of them – are fated to fall into place in precisely the way in which they do. The idea of destiny gives us comfort and helps us to pick ourselves back up after a disaster or hurtful life event.

2 Religious Texts

Regardless of one’s background, most of us believe in an organized religion of some sort. Religions are taught through texts, such as the Bible, which are thought to spell out exactly how a higher power wants humans to live. We believe stories about people who lived for hundreds of years, completed fantastic feats, and even managed to overcome mortality – because they are a part of a religious text. Though no proof exists that these writings are a true reflection any higher power, people do their best to abide by the rules and morals outlined within religious books.

1 God

Easily the biggest leap of faith that humans take is believing that a higher power, or God, exists and somehow sees and guides our life. From thinking that an inner prayer is heard, to the belief that we will come face to face with a higher power after death, we think that God is not only real but everywhere. By definition, God cannot be proven through empirical evidence, and yet the notion of a higher power is something that ties us to some of the earliest people and each other.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Mologi(m): 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
dnt believe
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2014
Hmmm
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by pweetixandy: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2014
Hmmm
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by papadjaji: 4:58pm On Dec 08, 2014
That u aint been to chibok doesn't mean that place doesn't exist. Maybe u r waiting for ur science teacher to develop a proof.
those who have experienced His awesomeness knows he lives.
remember, "I Am that I Am" is! Wether or wethern't.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 08, 2014
hmmn.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by missdebs(f): 7:13pm On Dec 08, 2014
b lyk say ve seen ds thread b4
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by StrongPen1s: 8:31pm On Dec 08, 2014
missdebs:
b lyk say ve seen ds thread b4
no be only you we follow see am together......I remember seeing a similar thread like this receive much criticism on frontpage some time ago.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by lilbazy(m): 8:33pm On Dec 08, 2014
Op why is God on that list? Who told you God doesn't exist? You and me been alive today is not by power nor by might, But by thy spirit says thy lord ...pls remove God from that list o"JESUS CHRIST IS THESAME YESTADAY,TODAY AND FOREVER". Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by nefertiitii: 8:35pm On Dec 08, 2014
undecided undecided
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by omowolewa: 8:39pm On Dec 08, 2014
By intuition, I knew you will mention God.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Rexhenrex(m): 9:36pm On Dec 08, 2014
op I never knew u are as stupid as u look,I just pity u you are heaping Gods wrath but I don't wish to add to Ur what is gonna come upon u u better ask for forgiveness I.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by shevymania(m): 9:45pm On Dec 08, 2014
i'm a big time believer of God and i truly know that God really exist but all my write up were base on human wisdom not spiritual or heavenly wisdom as we all know we can't relate with God through our limited human understanding unless with the help of Holy Spirit
lilbazy:
Op why is God on that list? Who told you God doesn't exist? You and me been alive today is not by power nor by might, But by thy spirit says thy lord ...pls remove God from that list o"JESUS CHRIST IS THESAME YESTADAY,TODAY AND FOREVER". Shalom
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by shevymania(m): 9:49pm On Dec 08, 2014
You lack proper interpretation of this write up maybe you should check again and read meaning to your comment
Rexhenrex:
op I never knew u are as stupid as u look,I just pity u you are heaping Gods wrath but I don't wish to add to Ur what is gonna come upon u u better ask for forgiveness I.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by tobechi74: 10:21pm On Dec 08, 2014
Can you proove that satan exist?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2014
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by benuejosh: 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2014
ghost is for real.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by jazinogold(m): 10:50pm On Dec 08, 2014
op must be high on cold water starch! So u dont believe in ghost.....but u believe in ojuju calabar! Types of ghost e.g holy ghost....op abi y u tink say redeem dy do holy ghost congress!

Here in london were m doing my IT...we dont believe in ghost cos there is always light!

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by shevymania(m): 11:48pm On Dec 08, 2014
Top 10 things so maybe u can add dat one 4 us & answer it by urself
tobechi74:
Can you proove that satan exist?
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by marveangel(m): 11:52pm On Dec 08, 2014
Nyc write U @ OP.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by CLOUDGOSSIPS(m): 1:27am On Dec 09, 2014
Wow! Seun made it as Our Student of the Week. Click to see her profile.

www.cloudgosip..com/2014/12/student-of-week-olasoji-oluwaseun-f.html
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by chr1s(m): 2:23am On Dec 09, 2014
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by tmax2net: 4:41am On Dec 09, 2014
For number 2 point, you don't see to believe but you believe to see.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by mesoade(m): 6:18am On Dec 09, 2014
Booked
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by okotv(m): 6:31am On Dec 09, 2014
I believe some of these things but not ghosts or aliens and those awkward stuffs
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Trippledots(m): 6:38am On Dec 09, 2014
Yields:
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

yup, it sure does. smiley
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Rexhenrex(m): 6:59am On Dec 09, 2014
shevymania:
You lack proper interpretation of this write up maybe you should check again and read meaning to your comment
sorry Albert Einstein lemme read through warray.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by yungryce: 9:46am On Dec 09, 2014
Really u need proof to know if there is God? its very simple. kee ursef n findout
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by Pdizzle(m): 9:49am On Dec 09, 2014
The way religion clouds reasoning is amazing, most people defending God here didn't even understand the write up.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by UnimkeAk(m): 10:49am On Dec 09, 2014
papadjaji:
That u aint been to chibok doesn't mean that place doesn't exist. Maybe u r waiting for ur science teacher to develop a proof.
those who have experienced His awesomeness knows he lives.
remember, "I Am that I Am" is! Wether or wethern't.

Dude dt ur chibok illustration is dumb AF.
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by joshbouy(m): 11:01am On Dec 09, 2014
what is this one saying undecided
Re: Top 10 Things You Can’t Prove But People Believe Anyway by MrEvolution7: 11:05am On Dec 09, 2014
Interesting

(1) (2) (Reply)

#shocking: See What AAU Graduate Wrote About Himself After Graduation! / Enugu Secures Foreign Mentorship Programme For 28 Indigenous Students / Breaking News About Delta State University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.