Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 7 - Travel (432) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 7 (1151413 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) ... (502) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Ugochux(m): 4:33pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
its actually more like HND.
but its actually a misnomer in the nigerian educational system which depicts HND as bn miles lower to BSC.
they are meant to be regarded equal with a more practical motive attached to the HND.

Hmmm, ok ooo, even though I'm struggling to understand everies..
Infact Mr. Complex, clap for yourself cos u have succeeded in confusing me..lol *joking oo*
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 4:36pm On May 24, 2015
i dont know about the evaluations, just send you transcripts to the sch and let them check if youre valid fpr admission.
i doubt if youll be good for pgd sha....adv diploma is your best bet.
burrytee:

Thank you but would you advise to go ahead with the evaluation through IQAS and would the HND be accepted for a graduate certificate/PGD in canada.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Crich(f): 4:38pm On May 24, 2015
donmikoa:

Thanks for the reply. Are u saying I won't be granted admission for MBa without going for the pre-mba?

I am not sure.Might be possible. I know with my qualification(MBA n work exp), sometime ago, i wanted HR but i was told i didnt qualify for that except i first do a one year diploma in HR.
So, i'm just not sure.
I suggest u send a mail to whichever school u are interested in, and ask what your chances are.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Crich(f): 4:43pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
Lol to this....na Accra dem dey check the documents na..

Oh, Really! I didnt know that? Wow! Then, why do people go through paper route? And how safe are their docs? Just wondering.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by SeyiMiilan: 4:43pm On May 24, 2015
[quote author=hayqinsbFX post=34054878] HND is not and shldnt be equivalent to BSc... If u av a B Eng in Engineering, u become a graduate engineer... If u av a certificate in HND, u become an engineering Technologist (with more practical knowledge) but not an engineer. Its only in Nigeria dey try to Equate Hnd n Bsc..

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 4:54pm On May 24, 2015
Yh bsc is higher, but it sudnt be milles higher as denoted n nigeria, which almost condemns anyone who has an HND.

The thing is with the level of Nigerian universities, HND graduates in engineering have more to offer than the so called B.eng graduates.

[quote author=SeyiMiilan post=34055295][/quote]
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by CoCoLav(f): 5:05pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
Lol to this....na Accra dem dey check the documents na..

Okay o. I don fear

But answer Crich first...

Mine says its being processed at the Lagos Office.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Huzzie: 5:13pm On May 24, 2015
Hi everyone, good to be back with my e-family...good work guys. See you all in Canada, we need people to absorb the cold abeg. Na spring we talk say we dey oooo, but person still gat check weather report everyday grin grin grin. Just an additional advise to the house for those who are not aware, It is advisable to pick a 2year dip/PGD for PGWP(Post-Graduate Work Permit) purpose.I have met so many Nigerians who did 2 unrelated programs because they did a 1year course and needed to do another one to make them eligible for the 3years PGWP. I want to assume we all know that to get a PR you need at least 1year work experience depending on the province of studies to qualify for the CEC(Canadian Experience Class). And for those coming for a masters program,duration of studies shouldn't be a major concern because getting a PR could be achieved through the PNP(Provincial Nominee Program). With this program you don't need work experience, you just need a certain amount to be in your bank account (about 11k or so).
Why am I saying this?
I have met people who came to Canada before me and didn't know jack about these things I just spill here. Some even argue about the authenticity of what I told them , but as a professional arguer grin grin I just gave them the links to allow them wallow in their ignorance.
When you come into the Country, what you should do?
Make findings about things before doing it, not necessary through the internet only. Ask people in a professional way without flaunting ignorance grin. Always follow the international office at your school for the latest; for example I got the information about PNP and US visa through the international center seminars, before then my Ghanaian friends told me I could only get the US visa if I lied I was going for a conference in the US. I applied and the got my US visa by telling them I wanted to go for shopping(N.B- my school is 30minutes drive to Buffalo, it may not always be the case for those whose school isn't close to the border).

I wish you all the best, but before I abscond again @oga siga, Justwise, Fhemmy et al....my respect.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by SeyiMiilan: 5:19pm On May 24, 2015
[quote author=hayqinsbFX post=34055593]

An Engineering HND graduate work is different from that of a graduate Engineer cos d former is ment to do the job while the latter supervises it...A graduate Engineer needs 4 years work experience to get corporate membership while an HND need over 13years work experience to get d same membership.. In Nigeria, its almost equivalent.. U even get almost d same salaries (maybe dat y ppl think dey are equivalent). HND graduates av more to offer immediately after graduation cos of more practical knowledge and most grad engineers don't build demselves (ment to learn n get experience under a very good Engineer for atleast 2yrs in design, construction, and project management) but everybody wants to make money immediately afta school. If u see a sound engineer with good knowledge afta 2year, an HND graduate with d same experience wld struggle to stand close
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by deedee0: 5:27pm On May 24, 2015
Seems online route application is processed in Lagos while paper route in Accra.
Na for ds thread I read am..some pages bck.
@Ugochux style.. I stand to be corrected cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 24, 2015
CoCoLav:

Okay o. I don fear

Thanks jare, same thing with a friend of mine who am assisting with the canadian stuff, but gat to keep shut so as not to argue with hqx since am not well equip with canadian stuff.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 5:51pm On May 24, 2015
deedee0:
Seems online route application is processed in Lagos while paper route in Accra.

These guy submitted vía paper route and its been processed at lagos .
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Chars1289: 5:58pm On May 24, 2015
deedee0:
absolutely true
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by tnuola(f): 5:59pm On May 24, 2015
CoCoLav:

Okay o. I don fear

I think it depends on availability of the VO's or something, some are processed in Lagos and some in Ghana, not ALL.

People shouldn't say with confidence what they aren't totally sure of.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 6:02pm On May 24, 2015
deedee0:

U r correct.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Chars1289: 6:02pm On May 24, 2015
tnuola:

I think it depends on availability of the VO's or something, some are processed in Lagos and some in Ghana, not ALL.

People shouldn't say with confidence what they aren't totally sure of.
ok bt recently dts d trend dey follow.paper ghana,online lagos
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by tnuola(f): 6:05pm On May 24, 2015
Chars1289:

ok bt recently dts d trend dey follow.paper ghana,online lagos

Still not all sir
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by kfrosh: 6:23pm On May 24, 2015
Bro; can someone who can be fully sponsored for a year hussle to sponsor himself tru the second year from your experience over there.
Huzzie:
Hi everyone, good to be back with my e-family...good work guys. See you all in Canada, we need people to absorb the cold abeg. Na spring we talk say we dey oooo, but person still gat check weather report everyday grin grin grin. Just an additional advise to the house for those who are not aware, It is advisable to pick a 2year dip/PGD for PGWP(Post-Graduate Work Permit) purpose.I have met so many Nigerians who did 2 unrelated programs because they did a 1year course and needed to do another one to make them eligible for the 3years PGWP. I want to assume we all know that to get a PR you need at least 1year work experience depending on the province of studies to qualify for the CEC(Canadian Experience Class). And for those coming for a masters program,duration of studies shouldn't be a major concern because getting a PR could be achieved through the PNP(Provincial Nominee Program). With this program you don't need work experience, you just need a certain amount to be in your bank account (about 11k or so).
Why am I saying this?
I have met people who came to Canada before me and didn't know jack about these things I just spill here. Some even argue about the authenticity of what I told them , but as a professional arguer grin grin I just gave them the links to allow them wallow in their ignorance.
When you come into the Country, what you should do?
Make findings about things before doing it, not necessary through the internet only. Ask people in a professional way without flaunting ignorance grin. Always follow the international office at your school for the latest; for example I got the information about PNP and US visa through the international center seminars, before then my Ghanaian friends told me I could only get the US visa if I lied I was going for a conference in the US. I applied and the got my US visa by telling them I wanted to go for shopping(N.B- my school is 30minutes drive to Buffalo, it may not always be the case for those whose school isn't close to the border).

I wish you all the best, but before I abscond again @oga siga, Justwise, Fhemmy et al....my respect.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Finestlex(m): 6:46pm On May 24, 2015
Etunu, how you doing...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Crich(f): 6:49pm On May 24, 2015
Hello all.
I noticed people get denied based on personal asset n account balance. If one is being sponsored, why ask for his/her personal assets? This isn't in the list of requirements stated on cic website. I just don't get it.
Does anyone know someone who was issued TRV without it?
Also, is it of more advantage to pay part/whole of tuition before applying for permit?
Experienced guys, ur answers pls.
Thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by mrnilobrawn: 6:59pm On May 24, 2015
Ugochux:
@burrytee,

IMO, HND is almost equivalent to Advanced Diploma.
*i stand to be corrected*
3 yrs advance diploma + 1yr PGC
According to my WES evaluation

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by mrnilobrawn: 7:06pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
i dont know about the evaluations, just send you transcripts to the sch and let them check if youre valid fpr admission.
i doubt if youll be good for pgd sha....adv diploma is your best bet.
I got master (M.Engr) admission wit UNB, OTTAWA, USASK with my HND.

What schools look out for wen considering u for admission is not the name of ur degree(Bsc, btech, nce, hnd etc) rather the course on your transcript if it align with theirs.
Let your transcript speak for u...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 7:33pm On May 24, 2015
Mr seyimilan, u don answer the question as u said "it's only in Nigeria"

And actually my case study has bn Nigeria....

No one differentiates an engineer to an engineering technologist here.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 7:34pm On May 24, 2015
That's just it basically, let them assess the transcripts.....
But sir, u must have really excelled in the HND program to get a masters admission straight...
And I tink ill disagree with them not botherEd about the qualifications on the certificate....why then put a minimum degree in the requirement...
mrnilobrawn:

I got master (M.Engr) admission wit UNB, OTTAWA, USASK with my HND.

What schools look out for wen considering u for admission is not the name of ur degree(Bsc, btech, nce, hnd etc) rather the course on your transcript if it align with theirs.
Let your transcript speak for u...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Huzzie: 7:34pm On May 24, 2015
kfrosh:
Bro; can someone who can be fully sponsored for a year hussle to sponsor himself tru the second year from your experience over there.
It is possible, only if you have break in-between your studies to work; like summer break. But working and studying at the same time, I doubt it.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by neoneyo: 8:23pm On May 24, 2015
Hello everyone, from the cic website i have noticed they are new rules regarding change of schools or courses as at june 2014

please can any one give insight as to changing schools or course of study after ariving canada from the one that was the basis of TRV/STUDY PERMIT.
i am aware the first step is getting admission to the school you want to change to and notifying the cic....
MY QUESTION is, in a case when u want to transfer from a PGD prog to an Undergraduate Diploma, are there any peculiarities or problems associated with that and does it fall under the category of change of level as stated below(copied from the cic website), which requires applying for a new study permit.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

[/font][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
[color=#990000]If you applied for a study permit to attend a post-secondary institution after June 1, 2014, you must notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) via your MyCIC account every time you change institutions. [color=#006600]You are not required to apply for a new study permit when changing institutions that are at the same level of study (e.g., from a college to a university).

For example, you must notify CIC if you submit a letter of acceptance from the University of Ottawa when you apply for your study permit but then transfer to Carleton University once you arrive in Canada.

You are not required to notify CIC when you change institution if:

you applied for a study permit prior to June 1, 2014;
you were issued a study permit to attend an institution at the primary or secondary level; or
you obtained a study permit as the family member of a study or work permit holder (i.e., you were not required to submit a letter of acceptance when applying for a study permit)
.[/color]
I COPIED THIS FROM THE CIC SITE.
thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by mrnilobrawn: 8:36pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
That's just it basically, let them assess the transcripts.....
But sir, u must have really excelled in the HND program to get a masters admission straight...
And I tink ill disagree with them not botherEd about the qualifications on the certificate....why then put a minimum degree in the requirement...
Minimum of degree or it equivalent...
U should also know that not ever1 with degree can get into masters direct....
Your transcript is what speaks....good grades too. Forget all d Bsc, B.edu, B.Tech, HND, NCE, ND,....>
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by hayqinsbFX: 8:40pm On May 24, 2015
okay sir
then in this context a good grade in HND can be equivalent to that of a degree.
is that what youre saying?
mrnilobrawn:

Minimum of degree or it equivalent...
U should also know that not ever1 with degree can get into masters direct....
Your transcript is what speaks....good grades too
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Team12: 8:47pm On May 24, 2015
It's Accra for Paper and Lagos for Online, I guess. But their website says "Lagos" for study permit though.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp

CoCoLav:

Okay o. I don fear

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by kfrosh: 9:11pm On May 24, 2015
What am 100% sure of is that either B.Eng or HND , or B.Sc it holds same value if you are applying to schools in USA; dunno of Canada doh. And your transcripts go tru WES evaluation before it can be used officially .
hayqinsbFX:
okay sir
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by Nobody: 9:26pm On May 24, 2015
hayqinsbFX:
okay sir
with good course contents... and not GSTs and what have you.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 7 by kfrosh: 9:29pm On May 24, 2015
So how does a niccur go for Biometrics tomorrow all the way to Lekki with this fuel scarcity now *sighs* Business centre self no gree open to print out Biometrics form. No fuel + No light = Calamity of life

(1) (2) (3) ... (429) (430) (431) (432) (433) (434) (435) ... (502)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 / USA Visit Visa Part 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.