Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,443 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:39 AM

Using The Fear Of Hell - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Using The Fear Of Hell (6157 Views)

Pastor Adeboye Warns Members About Sister Linda's Message Of Hell / Should We Live In The Fear Or In The Hope Of The Coming Of Jesus Christ / Woman Gets A Glimpse Of Hell After Suicide Attempt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 08, 2014
There are many tools of persuasion. Think about it: if you want to try and convince someone to follow through on a certain action, you can either appeal to their moral sensibilities (“it is the right thing to do”) or you can provide some form of incentive (“I will give you X if you do Y”). Or, if you are trying to convince someone of your position, you can take the time to collect evidence and compile logical arguments (“if X and Y are true, then we can be fairly certain that Z is true”).

Unfortunately, these methods take time and effort, and there is always the chance that even after all your hard work the person will walk away unconvinced. There is, however, another tool that is more effective and incredibly easy to implement. On its own it requires little effort and thus it is often used by the lazy.

It is the tool of fear.

Fundamentalist Christianity is one institution that is extremely effective in using fear to persuade people to accept various beliefs. It is the fear of Hell that it uses so well. Thinking back to when I was a Christian, I clearly remember two instances when I came across a negative concept of Hell.

The first was when I was in high school. One weekend, our entire church youth group went camping on a farm near Heidelberg in Gauteng. One night, while we all sat around a raging bonfire, our youth leader gave a talk on Hell. He asked us to imagine jumping into the bonfire, and to imagine the torment of our skin peeling off our bodies. We all shivered at the thought. He then added that Hell would be a thousand times worse: we would be encased in small enclosures – alone, cut off from everyone else – and we would burn in agony, for eternity. I remember everyone being numbed at this thought.

The second time was a few years later, at an evangelical rally at a large charismatic church in Johannesburg. A group of us went to the church to see the much talked about play called Heaven’s Gates, Hell’s Flames. The entire play was based on the fear of hell: characters in the story would either be sent to eternal damnation or eternal glory; when a character was sent to hell, the lights would dim, a ruddy glow would envelope the stage, and the sound of screaming would emanate from the speakers. After the play a preacher stood up and for half-an-hour pleaded with us to accept Jesus in order to escape damnation. Many people stood up at the alter call, including one of my friends. I remained seated, feeling angry at the blatent emotional manipulation that was going on.

Why so much gory detail on the terror of hell? Richard Dawkins, in The God Delusion, provides a possible answer:

“ . . . the extreme horribleness of hell, as portrayed by priests and nuns, is inflated to compensate for its implausibility. If hell were plausible, it would only have to be moderately unpleasant in order to deter. Given that it is so unlikely to be true, it has to be advertised as very very scary indeed, to balance its implausibility and retain some deterrence value.” Pg 321

Fear ensures that people remain obedient: it discourages dissent and questioning, it eliminates open dialogue and honest persuasion. A person often resorts to the use of fear when they realise that their position can no longer be defended by logical argument. It is the coward’s method of persuasion; it is a sign of incredible weakness.

It was that night of the play when I decided that I would never again consider any argument that is based primarily on fear. You know, I think I lost my fear of Hell that very night; no longer do words of eternal suffering and damnation hold any power over me.

http://mexc..co.uk/2007/03/using-fear-of-hell.html

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by johnydon22(m): 8:21pm On Dec 08, 2014
yeah bro i feel u, The funny part is that there was no mention of hell in the jewish scriptures and the laws.. christianity invented it and used it to keep people in perpetual fear and obedience...the funniest part is that they all have different versions of they own hell self... grin grin... they even accuss one another and sentence themselves to hell lol... protestants will be like "others are heretics and will go to hell" pentecostals will say " catholics practise idolatory and will burn in hell and so it all goes, every church and doctrines accusing one another and sentensing them to hell... smh... grin

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 8:23pm On Dec 08, 2014
In this new world americans speak the strongest words. words that breakes old bound & create another one are spoken by americans. i americans trust in the cast away angels called aliens than their dollars. if u rape 5 years old child take a book written by an american ur conscience will disappear without regreting what u did so doing such thing will become nomal & no amount of words can reflect in u. however i wish u to go hellven to understand better. congrats
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by johnydon22(m): 8:28pm On Dec 08, 2014
mynairatime:
U talk like an american. americans are the people u hav shere life with aliens & adopted strong motivational words that kill their conscieceseness.

WTF is this one saying

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Weah96: 9:08pm On Dec 08, 2014
mynairatime:
In this new world americans speak the strongest words. words that breakes old bound & create another one are spoken by americans. i americans trust in the cast away angels called aliens than their dollars. if u rape 5 years old child take a book written by an american ur conscience will disappear without regreting what u did so doing such thing will become nomal & no amount of words can reflect in u. however i wish u to go hellven to understand better. congrats

Someone needs to save you. From yourself.

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Longstride: 9:23pm On Dec 08, 2014
mynairatime:

what cave are you from, and how the hell did you get access to the internet?

2 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 7:21am On Dec 09, 2014
[quote author=frosbel post=28707347][/quote]
I think you are more scared of hell than anybody I know.
There is something they call "Denial"- it is refusing to accept or think about something because it cause you anxiety.
You are so scared of hell that your heart can take the dreaded so you denial it.
But I tell you that won't work.
How long will you fight it?

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by honourhim: 7:44am On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

There is something they call "Denial"- it is refusing to accept or think about something because it cause you anxiety.
You are so scared of hell that your heart can take the dreaded so you denial it.

Yeah he is very scared of hell fire. That's how he keeps denying it like the atheists who are denying the existence of God. Surely it won't help them.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 8:49am On Dec 09, 2014
johnydon22:
yeah bro i feel u, The funny part is that there was no mention of hell in the jewish scriptures and the laws.. christianity invented it and used it to keep people in perpetual fear and obedience...the funniest part is that they all have different versions of they own hell self... grin grin... they even accuss one another and sentence themselves to hell lol... protestants will be like "others are heretics and will go to hell" pentecostals will say " catholics practise idolatory and will burn in hell and so it all goes, every church and doctrines accusing one another and sentensing them to hell... smh... grin
Paul never mentioned the word "Hell" in any of his letters.
Peter mentioned the word "Hell" once.
James mentioned the word "Hell" once.

The only places where hell was frequently mentioned in the new testament are the books of the gospel. This is before the new covenant was established. Hell was frequently mentioned in the Gospels because during that time it was one of the main teaching. Then, there was a sect of Jewish preachers who constantly preach and announced hell and judgment. These sect lived an isolated life like monks. I guess John the Baptist was once among them in the desert (because that is where some of them stay) and he must had learnt from them. John preach hell and judgment so also did Jesus because it was a time for repentance.

During the time of the new testament, the word hell was hardly ever use when talking to fellow believers. It was mainly use when preach to spiritually dead people because they only respond to fear and they don't recognize love, for God is love. Only those that know love knows God and perfect love cast out fear (1John 4:17-18).

My friend you know very little about Christianity and this is why you stop being a Christian. I could help you. I could teach you to a level where you can now be taught by the Spirit himself.

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by malvisguy212: 9:16am On Dec 09, 2014
[quote author=frosbel post=28707347][/quote] see,my good friend, God did not created hell for human, hell is for satan and his demon,as long as God is concern,anyone that obey satan is a demon and he will go to hell,if there is nothing like hell ,then what will be the punishment of satan? Bible make it clear about the end of the road for satan and demon to be hell,if hell is not a place of pain and torment then we will say with certainty that satan and demon will not be tormented because hell is there last destination.

Just like Hiswordxray has say,it was fear that is making you to say all this,you have a favourite sin that you can't do away with,you want to satisfy your fear,as a good christian hell isn't suppose to be a problem to us,may God forgive us.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 9:32am On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Lol. grin

I have no time for brain washed religious fanatics who use the threat of fear to hold onto their members so that they will keep paying tithes and offerings.

There is no difference between you people and Boko Haram , in fact Boko Haram is better than your own terrorism because it lasts only for a small moment while your terror lasts for world without end, 1 million times worse than Boko Haram or any form of terror in the world.

Pal, go and make sure it is not Satan you are following.....

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 10:26am On Dec 09, 2014
frosbel:

Lol. grin

I have no time for brain washed religious fanatics who use the threat of fear to hold onto their members so that they will keep paying tithes and offerings.

There is no difference between you people and Boko Haram , in fact Boko Haram is better than your own terrorism because it lasts only for a small moment while your terror lasts for world without end, 1 million times worse than Boko Haram or any form of terror in the world.

Pal, go and make sure it is not Satan you are following.....

Aeya, the truth that Hell last for eternity scares you to death. But you don't have to be scared of death.

2 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 09, 2014
Without fear no sensible man will serve god. Well,the sensible ones don't anymore.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 10:52am On Dec 09, 2014
ifeness:
Without fear no sensible man will serve god. Well,the sensible ones don't anymore.
Yes the ones who are consumed with fear run away from Him and try to deny His existence in order to overcome their fear.

Tell me, how well has denial been working for you?

Or does this image stop you from sleeping at night?

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 10:56am On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Yes the ones who are consumed with fear run away from Him and try to deny His existence in order to overcome their fear.

So your God is now a Mafia boss who uses the threat of HELL to win converts ?

When are you going to join Boko Haram ?

smiley

2 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by johnydon22(m): 11:01am On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Paul never mentioned the word "Hell" in any of his letters.
Peter mentioned the word "Hell" once.
James mentioned the word "Hell" once.

The only places where hell was frequently mentioned in the new testament are the books of the gospel. This is before the new covenant was established. Hell was frequently mentioned in the Gospels because during that time it was one of the main teaching. Then, there was a sect of Jewish preachers who constantly preach and announced hell and judgment. These sect lived an isolated life like monks. I guess John the Baptist was once among them in the desert (because that is where some of them stay) and he must had learnt from them. John preach hell and judgment so also did Jesus because it was a time for repentance.

During the time of the new testament, the word hell was hardly ever use when talking to fellow believers. It was mainly use when preach to spiritually dead people because they only respond to fear and they don't recognize love, for God is love. Only those that know love knows God and perfect love cast out fear (1John 4:17-18).

My friend you know very little about Christianity and this is why you stop being a Christian. I could help you. I could teach you to a level where you can now be taught by the Spirit himself.

what is this one saying
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by zyzxx(m): 11:04am On Dec 09, 2014
Ur brain is contaminated
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 11:07am On Dec 09, 2014
frosbel:

So your God is now a Mafia boss who uses the threat of HELL to win converts ?

When are you going to join Boko Haram ?

smiley
No! you are a sinner who is fighting so hard not to be scared of hell.
Well fear is in your nature and you would continue to fear until you represent.

2 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

No! you are a sinner who is fighting so hard not to be scared of hell.
Well fear is in your nature and you would continue to fear until you represent.

lol. grin

It appears that you are the one who has FEAR in your heart because you are serving the God who will cast you into any everlasting torture chamber that will even make Hitler proud. In fact he is watching your every move so that at the slightest mistake or error he will throw you headlong into an eternity of doom.

So be careful bro, be on guard 24/7 just in case you miss road.

I have no fear otherwise I will be like you, holding onto religion because of FEAR. smh

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Weah96: 11:16am On Dec 09, 2014
Silly people. What could someone possibly do in one lifetime to deserve being roasted forever?

Brainwashed children.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 11:44am On Dec 09, 2014
frosbel:

lol. grin

It appears that you are the one who has FEAR in your heart because you are serving the God who will cast you into any everlasting torture chamber that will even make Hitler proud. In fact he is watching your every move so that at the slightest mistake or error he will throw you headlong into an eternity of doom.

I have no fear otherwise I will be like you, holding onto religion because of FEAR. smh
Well, I don't argue I simply speak the truth.
You are going to Hell and it scares you to death.
Have fun in Hell.

1 Like

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 11:45am On Dec 09, 2014
frosbel:

lol. grin

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Or does this image stop you from sleeping at night?

Negative imaginations can hurt you.

What you do not fear cannot hurt you.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Hiswordxray(m): 12:04pm On Dec 09, 2014
ifeness:

Negative imaginations can hurt you.

What you do not fear cannot hurt you.
Oh! is that what you tell yourself in order to overcome your fear.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Horus(m): 12:05pm On Dec 09, 2014
The concept of hell is something that was created in the hearts and minds of the authors of your Bible and Koran. Before you were informed of what and where hell was, it never crossed your mind to even think about it. So, within the pages of your scriptures hell was born. Just as a God could not exist without the devil, heaven could not exist if there wasn’t a hell. It is something that was fabricated so that they could capitalize off of your fear.

2 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Weah96: 12:14pm On Dec 09, 2014
Only ret)arded, or psychotic people, would imagine that eternally roasting someone is a reasonable punishment for one lifetime of offenses.

Idiots. How could a mother enjoy heaven knowing that her children are being roasted by the host of the place?

These stories must be learned in childhood.

5 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by sinequanon: 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
The reason most atheists are materialists is because they fear hell and that some god can put them there.

Discussing ANYTHING outside their material concepts gives them a panic attack, and their fear dominates their "logic".

The easiest way for them to cope with their fear is to block out ANY concept at all of what they call "the supernatural".

Their mission is not to inquire about "the supernatural", but to convince themselves that it doesn't exist.

They have put themselves in the position that, without their materialism, they feel exposed to hell and wrath of some god. This is because they have developed no concept outside of those two extremes.

Key to the condition of such atheists is a sense of superiority. Acknowledgement of the tiniest chink in their materialist outlook would deal a mortal blow to their confidence. They would realize how little they have developed to challenge theism. It terrifies them.

So, when debating with these atheists, bear in mind that it is not about logic, but about their psychological condition and about therapy.

The theist's psychological condition is more obvious, and some of them more or less would admit their condition.

However, there is often the usual denial of trying to dress their terror of the god they believe in as "love of god".

One major difference between the theists and the atheists in question is how the theist expresses his sense of helplessness. Because he doesn't know or believe in how he can escape his condition, he seeks to convince himself that everybody shares it. (It is a bit like a homosexual who sees homosexuality in everyone). You will often see theists trying to bait people with descriptions and images of hell. What they are really doing is hoping that they are not alone in their hopeless fear.

3 Likes

Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 12:27pm On Dec 09, 2014
Weah96:
Only ret)arded, or psychotic people, would imagine that eternally roasting someone is a reasonable punishment for one lifetime of offenses.

Idiots. How could a mother enjoy heaven knowing that her children are being roasted by the host of the place?

These stories must be learned in childhood.

Never thought we would ever agree on anything religious, lol.

This false and dangerous doctrine has done more damage than the collective works of Boko Haram put together. It is a prison of the mind, a bondage of sorts and source of misery and the hardness, harshness and evil that emanates from religion.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 09, 2014
Hiswordxray:

Oh! is that what you tell yourself in order to overcome your fear.

Whenever i entertain fear, i know something is wrong. I look into that fear only to find out that i need to get rid of some negative belief i may i bought into. Best thing is to face your fear and it will disappear. Do not bow to it or else it will make you a prisoner.

Hell is not real. Believing in it means you had a poor childhood.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by honourhim: 3:22pm On Dec 09, 2014
frosbel:

Never thought we would ever agree on anything religious, lol.

This false and dangerous doctrine has done more damage than the collective works of Boko Haram put together. It is a prison of the mind, a bondage of sorts and source of misery and the hardness, harshness and evil that emanates from religion.

Why won't you agree with him? Both of you share one thing in common here- the fear of hell fire. Yet your agreement with him hasn't changed him from atheism so what have you achieved? Nothing.

No amount of denial can save you from the torment of the lake of fire, only Jesus can save you bro.
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 09, 2014
Do not let how i got here border u. what should border u is "how should it is for ur u to see tomorrow & if u cant where would u be"
Re: Using The Fear Of Hell by Weah96: 3:40pm On Dec 09, 2014
honourhim:

Why won't you agree with him? Both of you share one thing in common here- the fear of hell fire. Yet your agreement with him hasn't changed him from atheism so what have you achieved? Nothing.

No amount of denial can save you from the torment of the lake of fire, only Jesus can save you bro.

The man said that we don't agree on religious matters. Except in this case.

There's plenty of areas outside of religion where we both see eye to eye.

Cars need gas, human beings need food to eat, money is good.
These are common areas of agreement.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Philosophy Of Spatial Dimensions And the Spiritual Realm / God's Love / Why Do People Fall Under The Anointing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.