Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,920 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:10 PM

3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School (1960 Views)

After Leaving His 9-5 Job, This 31-yr-old Built A Company That's Earned $1m / 4 Better Ways To Answer "Why Are You Leaving Your Job?" / I'm Considering Leaving Medicine - Please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Acegoals: 3:50pm On Dec 10, 2014
I had the rare opportunity of listening to Gbenga Ajayi an Online Sales Account Manager with Google responsible for Google’s biggest clients in Nigeria and he spoke briefly on the title of this post.

When in school, we all feel the energy and vigour of being young and seek relevance in the academic world, we rep our course of study and try to meet up with the tasks before us; assignments, exams, quizzes etc. But out of school is a different world where things or almost all the accolades of being a fresh graduate starts fading out. Here are 3 of such things…

Your Degree
“I am a graduate” But of what? Engineering, Communication, Law, Nursing, Education etc Yes! That’s when you just graduate. People may be concerned about the degree you have. You have BSc or BEd or MBBS, well that’s nice. But do you also know that thousands of other youths have got the same thing and are in the same job or career space as you. Therefore the question is, as time goes on, what other values are you placing on yourself? What other things or skills or achievements stands you out or places a tag of difference on you as a graduate of years before. Are you taking more courses in your field for more knowledge? The more years you’re out of school, the more your degree loses relevance and experience and professionalism speaks. So go get it!

Your Grade
As fresh graduates some persons do include their grades in their CV, but 3 to 5 years down the line after school, who cares about your grade? NO ONE! Wole Soyinka, as most people know, graduated with a third class degree (though has been refuted by the Prof. himself). But today he is a renowned personality in the society. I could go on and on to mention names. Whether you graduated with a First, Second or Third class degree or even a pass, once you have bagged that degree, people are watching and they want to see you succeed. And I as well believe that the adrenaline to succeed flows in you. Take control of your world and go out there to rule. No one cares what grade you graduated with if after you leave school and 6 to 7 months down the line there’s nothing to show for it.

Your School
University of Ilorin; of Lagos; of Nigeria; OAU, Unizik etc. Great schools right? I agree with you. But of what use is the name of your school to an employer who wants value for his/her money to be paid into your salary account every month? It is on rare cases and usually for entry level vacancies that a firm may require that you be a graduate of a particular school and most times for the SIWES program too. Three, four, five years down the line (if you do not wish to further in the same school) you may only return to your school either for the convocation ceremony or to receive your certificate and after that, the name of your school may only come up on your profile and that’s all!

So what’s the way forward? Its quite simple. The very day you left or once you left your school via the gate for further journey into the market for green pasture and impact in your world, then it is up to you to take some certain right decisions and move on for good because people are looking up to you. Be it entrepreneurship, job search or master’s degree, whatever you’ve set your mind to do, it is now up to you with God. Good morning and have a great week ahead.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by adenines(m): 8:34pm On Dec 10, 2014
What an eye opener.Mr acegoals thanks for the advice.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by fmjackng: 12:59am On Dec 11, 2014
gud one, i think am moltivated,thanks
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by profstar(m): 7:20am On Dec 11, 2014
Motivating words to start a day
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by jutah(m): 8:03am On Dec 11, 2014
No truer post than this op. Thanks. I'm inspired.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 11, 2014
Wole soyinka didnt graduate with third class
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Acegoals: 10:20am On Dec 13, 2014
papiforreal:
Wole soyinka didnt graduate with third class

Thanks papiforreal. You know such info is what has been peddled for so long a time until when the Prof. himself came to refute that info. So that info is what most people know today.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by KillerBeauty(f): 10:29am On Dec 13, 2014
Adonbilivit

1 Like

Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Icon4s(m): 6:55am On Dec 15, 2014
Well done op.
Most true is no. 3. Employers rarely consider ur sch. What matters more are ur Grade, course and age.

No. 1 can still follow you for as long as u are practising ur career bt nt in all cases.

And no.2 can only follow u during ur job search as a fresh graduate.As d op said experience takes over after 3-5 yrs.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Icon4s(m): 6:56am On Dec 15, 2014
KillerBeauty:
Adonbilivit
Must u joke over every issue?
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by gememerald(m): 3:28pm On Dec 15, 2014
@OP Thanks very much, this is timely for me...Just got to know my final result recently and it is a Second Class Lower divisions 3.47 precisely. I've been kind of down but I know I would make it by God's grace. Thanks @OP
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Parasitic(m): 7:09pm On Dec 15, 2014
gememerald:
@OP Thanks very much, this is timely for me...Just got to know my final result recently and it is a Second Class Lower divisions 3.47 precisely. I've been kind of down but I know I would make it by God's grace. Thanks @OP

Very painfull grade, its even worse when you realise that u got same grade with unserious students.. I was in ur shoes then, what killed my cgpa was incessant missing script calculated as carry over..kpele ooo
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by gememerald(m): 9:03pm On Dec 15, 2014
Parasitic:

Very painfull grade, its even worse when you realise that u got same grade with unserious students.. I was in ur shoes then, what killed my cgpa was incessant missing script calculated as carry over..kpele ooo
Thanks. All glory be to God, It's painful but I believe it makes me stronger and would push me to be the best.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Acegoals: 1:40pm On Dec 17, 2014
gememerald:

That's the spirit bro! You will surely make it. It's not about the degree or grade; Grace supercedes Grade
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Don1Dee(m): 10:39pm On Dec 17, 2014
Great post
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by akaahs(m): 12:04pm On Dec 18, 2014
I must confess that what run through my mind evry day.great write tops man,thump-ups to u.
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by Acegoals: 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2014
akaahs:
I must confess that what run through my mind evry day.great write tops man,thump-ups to u.

Thumbs up to you too for reading. I'm telling you its very important to note nothing lasts forever. Even love fades, you just have to keep reviving. The new year is coming, I pray you all that whatsoever career improvement you need to make, kindly embark on it. Let it be one of your goals for the new year. And @Acegoals we walk towards making sure you ACE those GOALS always...
Re: 3 Things That Starts To Loose Importance After Leaving School by gememerald(m): 8:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
Acegoals:

That's the spirit bro! You will surely make it. It's not about the degree or grade; Grace supercedes Grade

Thanks. Amen

(1) (Reply)

Here Are The Workers Most In Demand In The UK / Female Electrician Pictured On NEPA Pole in her hijab (pictures) / Should I Resign My Bank Job For A Foreign Masters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.