Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,797 members, 7,824,320 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

Origins Of The Word 'pikin' - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origins Of The Word 'pikin' (11821 Views)

Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / What does the word 'Biafra' mean? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by ezeagu(m): 7:11pm On Dec 04, 2008
Pequeno (Portuguese for 'small') > Pickaninny (used for black children in slavery) > Pickney (children in Jamaican patois by salves) >freed slaves come to Sierra Leone becoming the Sierra Leone Creole people> Pikin (Sierra Leone) > ='Krio' brought to Lagos by ex slaves= Nigerian word for child, Pikin, is used.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Kweenisha: 8:10pm On Dec 04, 2008
I thought it came from "prick"
no that would be prikin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Hauwa1: 9:34pm On Dec 04, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin

you this lady osisi you fit kill person with laugh. prick as in blockus as in abuna grin

prickin lol the thing wey prick brought is prikin hehehehe grin grin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by lucabrasi(m): 2:24am On Dec 05, 2008
@poster
slight correction,not everyone calls their child or children pikin in nigeria in fact its commonly used in local pidgin english and no middle class to upper class family will ever call their child/children pikin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by SeanT21(f): 7:14am On Dec 05, 2008
Pikin is used mostly in Liberia.

If You do not know a Childs Name,Just call him PIKIN.

"Hey Pikin,come here"
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by OgidiBoy(m): 7:18am On Dec 05, 2008
SeanT21:

Pikin is used mostly in Liberia.

If You do not know a Childs Name,Just call him PIKIN.

"Hey Pikin,come here"

It's amazing we share some words with our friends in Liberia, do you have anymore you could think off ?
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Jarus(m): 8:56am On Dec 05, 2008
OgidiBoy:

It's amazing we share some words with our friends in Liberia, do you have anymore you could think off ?
Pikin is just like any other pidgin word used across English Speaking West Africa. Or do you think it's only in Naija that Pidgin is spoken?
So like pikin, almost all other pidgin words are spoken in Liberia,Ghana and S/Leone.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by kiwi992(m): 7:16pm On Dec 05, 2008
Hi,

So like pikin, almost all other pidgin words are spoken in Liberia, Ghana and S/Leone.

Ghanaians can not speak pidgeon English.

Not the ones that have lived in Nigeria but those of them in their own country or abroad.  You should hear them speak it, you'll fall off your seat laughing!

kiwi992.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by bawomolo(m): 8:24pm On Dec 05, 2008
kiwi992:

Hi,

Not the ones that have lived in Nigeria but those of them in their own country or abroad. You should hear them speak it, you'll fall off your seat laughing!

kiwi992.

they probably think the same way about us too. this is like american and british people arguing about who speaks the best english
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by SeanT21(f): 11:06pm On Dec 05, 2008
OgidiBoy:

Many west african nations have alot of things in common.

FUFU,Kous Kous,and more!!
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by mukina2: 12:31am On Dec 06, 2008
Pikin is the main term used for kids in Freetown cheesy

even when they know ur name, then end up calling you pikin grin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by MrCrackles(m): 12:32am On Dec 06, 2008
mukina2:

Pikin is the main term used for kids in Freetown cheesy

even when they know ur name, then end up calling you pikin grin

grin grin grin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Pataki: 2:33am On Dec 06, 2008
*Hauwa*:

grin grin grin grin grin

you this lady osisi you fit kill person with laugh. prick as in blockus as in abuna grin

prickin lol the thing wey prick brought is prikin hehehehe grin grin
Can you please explain, I do not understand. embarassed embarassed
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by mohawkchic(f): 12:33pm On Dec 06, 2008
kiwi992:

Hi,

Not the ones that have lived in Nigeria but those of them in their own country or abroad.  You should hear them speak it, you'll fall off your seat laughing!

kiwi992.

~Lol,so true,even tho they do use their own terms,like "Charlie" i understand what they're saying but when i try to talk my Sa.Lone pidgin,they don't understand except for the few words they are familiar w/ -  i find that strange b/c i understand Nigeria,Ghana & Camaroon pidgin & apart from the Ghanians,the Nigerians & Camaroonians understand mine!!
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by kiwi992(m): 5:40pm On Dec 07, 2008
Hi Mohawk,

Yeap.  Very good observation on your part.  Even if they do know your name, you get called 'Charlie' all of the time.

Saying such things as 'me plus am' (he and I), 'a for talk am sey' (I'd have told him), 'the gbenye' (the girl) 'o jalo' (o jare)grin

kiwi992.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by mohawkchic(f): 6:30pm On Dec 09, 2008
kiwi992:

Hi Mohawk,

Yeap.  Very good observation on your part.  Even if they do know your name, you get called 'Charlie' all of the time.

Saying such things as 'me plus am' (he and I), 'a for talk am sey' (I'd have told him), 'the gbenye' (the girl) 'o jalo' (o jare)grin

kiwi992.   

~hey Kiwi992  smiley

~The differnce in Lingo & how we say certain words meaning the same thing in the various Pidgin among Africans is in itself Unique!!

Niaja Pidgin                                Sa.Lone Pidgin   

~Babe                                                 ~Gial
~Ar day Chop                                      ~Ar Day Eat
~E Now Say                                          ~E talk Say
~You Day Mad                                       ~You day Crase
~ How Now?                                           ~Wetin day Happen
~You come day hala say                          ~Wetin you day hala say
~Make ar yarn you                                   ~make ar boss you
~Enter house                                           ~Go Insai
~Carry Him for House                                ~Ker ram go insai d ous
~Winch                                                    ~Witchman
~Abi                                                         ~No to so

Disclaimer ~ Y'll might not say your pidgin in the way i've written,but i go w/ what i hear on Niaja Movies & read on here  grin
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by jonsn: 11:56am On Dec 13, 2008
[color=#990000][/color]@mohawkchic You know you could come up with your own pidgen dictionary and who kows,  it could sell like mad. cool
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by mohawkchic(f): 2:32am On Dec 14, 2008
jonsn:

[/color]@mohawkchic You know you could come up with your own pidgen dictionary and who kows, it could sell like mad. cool

[color=#550000]~ You think!! cheesy I'll remember to send you the first published copy!! tongue
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Nobody: 12:18pm On Dec 15, 2008
probably a variant of pickaninny - which was the word used to refer to slave babies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickanniny

what do u know - i'm prolly right

Pickaninny (also picaninny or piccaninny) is a term – generally considered derogatory – that in English usage refers to black children, or a caricature of them which is widely considered racist. It is a pidgin word form, which may be derived from the Portuguese pequenino (an affectionate term derived from pequeno ("little"wink.Contents

In the Southern United States, pickaninny was long used to refer to the children of African slaves or (later) of African American citizens. While this use of the term was popularized in reference to the character of Topsy in the 1852 book Uncle Tom's Cabin, the term was used as early as 1831 in an anti-slavery tract "The History of Mary Prince, a West Indian Slave, related by herself" published in Edinburgh, Scotland. The term was still in some popular use in the US as late as the 1960s; while it has largely fallen out of use and is now considered offensive, the term is still part of the American lexicon.

Although the term was used generally, it came to refer to the associated stereotype among white Americans of African American children. "Picaninnies had bulging eyes, unkempt hair, red lips and wide mouths into which they stuffed huge slices of watermelon."[1] The Picaninny was distinguished by its young age, male or female. "They were also half dressed and animalistic. The picaninny was seen as one of a multitude of black children – disregarded and disposable."[2] That the pickaninny was often naked or half-naked has been interpreted by some to imply that black parents neglected the well-being of their children.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Nobody: 1:05pm On Feb 24, 2009
bawomolo:

they probably think the same way about us too. this is like american and british people arguing about who speaks the best english

Which kind yeye English the Americans dey speak? Even the deaf can here that the Americans can't speak English to save their lives.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Bencilo(m): 1:53pm On Feb 24, 2009
tongue u seen 2 b envious 2 d american.Der language no better past our own.
Re: Origins Of The Word 'pikin' by Nobody: 1:56pm On Feb 24, 2009
Bencilo:

tongue u seen 2 b envious 2 d american.Der language no better past our own.

Thank you for the information. Well done.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Largest Ethnic Group In Africa / Rilwanu Suleiman Adamu: Don’t Force Marriage On Your Daughter / Mysteries About IJEBU IGBO As A Town!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.