Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,326 members, 7,819,115 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 (30988 Views)

Best Stores To Get Black Friday Deals / What Name Does Your Father Stores Your Mother's Name With In His Phone? / Trendy Maternity Stores In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by QMark: 11:17pm On Dec 11, 2014
jaygee1:
this ain't d currency we spent in 1975 if u were born then

I'm sorry daddy. I won't do it again.
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by sonnie10: 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2014
Calabar had Leventis but not Kingsway. Other stores like Bata, Leonard shoes bring good memories too.
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by sparkleboy(m): 1:04am On Dec 12, 2014
So it was Buhari's stupid policies that made kingsat to fold up? Its time for our genration to stand up and start the rebuilding process.
Say no to GEJ and GMB. We want someone better not this mediocres.... angry
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by ogb5(m): 6:22am On Dec 12, 2014
sparkleboy:
So it was Buhari's stupid policies that made kingsat to fold up? Its time for our genration to stand up and start the rebuilding process.
Say no to GEJ and GMB. We want someone better not this mediocres.... angry

The two governments that set Nigeria back the most are buhari govt and IBB government.
Buhari simply destroyed the industrial base of the country, he banned importation of raw materials and finished products forcing businesses like Kingsway, Leventis stores , Bata to close shop. And to manage the resulting inflation from his stupid policies he simply changed the colour of the currency. Forcing every to send their money to the bank and impounding the fund by refusing to allow banks to give people their hard earned money.

People had money in the bank but were starving because they could not withdraw money from the bank. And ofcouse civil servants were being owed salaries for months.

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by ONESS: 9:19am On Dec 12, 2014
QMark:
Those days....
When the word "Naira" was a currency...
I CRY FOR NIGERIA!!!
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by delishpot: 10:42am On Dec 12, 2014
[quote author=naptu2 post=28792588][/quote]

I rember those adds. All of them. Cheiiii, old age don come ooo.
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by ManTiger(m): 12:00pm On Dec 12, 2014
kay29000:

Yea, i used to visit the Leventis Stores in surulere back in the 80s...there was one awesome comic store by the side. Back in d days when Naija was like Yankie.
The Good ol' days bro,
I tell you, those days can never come back again.

May God help us shaar.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by kay29000(m): 12:07pm On Dec 12, 2014
ManTiger:

The Good ol' days bro,
I tell you, those days can never come back again.

May God help us shaar.

Yea...May God help us all.
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by EfemenaXY: 11:07pm On Dec 12, 2014
QMark:
Those days....
When the word "Naira" was a currency...

Ohhhhh....

Memories, memories, sweet memories...when the Naira was majestic and powerful... The red 1 Naira note - just as I remember it.

A time when:

~ renting a 3bedroom flat was 120 Naira,

~ school fees at UNN 55 Naira, and accommodation was 110 Naira per term.

~ A plate of Eba and Ogbolo soup (with bits of shredded fish) 2 Naira, or with proper fish 3 Naira.

Please o! Does anyone remember how much Ikebe Super & Fun Times cost in the 80's?? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 22, 2018
Wawu!!!
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by AfahaAbia(m): 9:36pm On Aug 09, 2022
[quote author=naptu2 post=28792588][/quote]

@naptu2 how do you get all this old videos? I'm indeed very impressed.
Re: Picture Of Kingsway Departmental Stores In Lagos, 1975 by AlphaTaikun: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2022
TheRealMrStan:
Loooooooong before Shoprite grin

Source: https://twitter.com/purefoyAMEBO/status/542672789514493953/photo/1
Yeah! Kingsway Road on Ikoyi Island, Lagos State was renamed Alfred Rewane Road in the late 1990s.

Kingsway Department stores of the 1970s and 1980s were truly iconic.

When I think of the ambience of Kingsway Department stores, I think of Nigeria Airways, British Caledonian, Pan Am Airlines, the badass airline brands that existed back in the day.grin

Thumbs up @Naptu2 for reactivating the iconic Kingsway Department
stores topic on your thread.

2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Wife Wants To Buy The Following For The Baby / Lady And Her Father Recreate Throwback Photo Of 23 Years Ago / World's Biggest Babies Ever Born

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.