Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,371 members, 7,819,334 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Can We Redefne "God" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can We Redefne "God" (483 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can We Redefne "God" by tobechi20(m): 4:41pm On Dec 11, 2014
For most people on this earth, god is… I don’t even know. What is it? A belief in a higher power? That seems pretty vague to me. For starters, god’s nature varies from religion to religion, right? Doesn’t that then necessarily mean god’s elements, the ‘stuff’ that god is said to be composed of, that He, or She, or It comprises, aren’t clearly laid out?

Sure, it’s easy to say that a Christian believes in the Christian God. That a Muslim believes in the Muslim God. That a Hindu believes in the Hindu God. But that doesn’t actually tell me anything about the nature of that said god Itself. It simply refers to a lucent word, both criticised and adored by so many, which carries no tangible meaning.

God. What the hell does it mean?

Does this depend on which religion’s god you’re speaking of? Or does it depend on every individual interpretation? Can god even be reduced to an interpretation? Says who? What about an irreligious notion of god, a god for the spiritual but not religious? How do we define that god?

When one sclaims to be an atheist then, what is he really saying?

Which bloody God don’t HE believe in?

Is it simply and purely saying that don’t believe in a religiously defined god? Is it saying that don’t believe in the word – god (a rather ludicrous suggestion)? Is it saying that HE have no opinion whatever on the supernatural?

Which brings me to my question: For a non-believer, can the term god prove useful? Should we keep it, and redefine it, imbue it with a meaning outside the context already developed through the religious lens? Or should we scrap it altogether?
Re: Can We Redefne "God" by davien(m): 4:47pm On Dec 11, 2014
"god" is a vague term used to explain away the unexplainable....does that definition suffice?

1 Like

Re: Can We Redefne "God" by GooseBaba: 12:16am On Dec 12, 2014
Tobechi20....

First thing first... Discard the european or arabian definition of God/dogmas and align your thoughts with things that can be understood without the need for delusion.

Who or what is an unbeliever..!?

Water is a god, for we need water, water does not need us. We need knowledge, knowledge does not need us.we need the sun, the sun does not need us. We need to shiiit, shiiit does not need us. Do you need to believe in these elements or your thoughts before it sustains your existence... This is common knowledge of every living things. One does not need supplications to understand or agree.

According to the teachings of my ancestors. "Man's desire" to know God is to seek answers to what he does not know or understand. Therefore, the concept of God with my ancestors is all about knowledge. That's why man is seen as a god, because with knowledge he is capable of good and evil.

(1) (Reply)

Where Is That Guy That Wanted To Kill Himself? / Gates And Everlasting Doors / RCCG Dissociate Itself From APC VP Candidature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.