Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,027 members, 7,953,075 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:22 AM

New Trend With The Yoruba Youths - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / New Trend With The Yoruba Youths (771 Views)

Damaging Chat Habits Particular To Youths Of Today. / Stripping Self To Avoid Arrest In Nigeria - A New Trend / Lagos New Trend Of Traffic Robbery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Djicemob: 11:54am On Dec 13, 2014
There is suddenly a growing trend with SOME yoruba peeps(especially the youths) and the misappropriation of their names to look trendy or tushhy(whatever the case maybe),peeps now get to deliberately misspell their names to achieve some sort of COOL feel and belonging in their various social circle and platforms.Don't get me wrong,i'm not trying to ridicule any tribe or person cos it all boils down to the individual differences hence my use of the word 'SOME' above,but why would someone want to change the spelling of his/her name like this? (see list below)

Olamide now turns to Horlamiday

Bola - Bawlah

Yinka - Yeencah

Bunmi - Boomee

Lekan - Laykon

Bukky - Bouqui

Bolagi - Baller gee

One of my friend's name on FB is Hahyawlah shocked (Ayoola)

Now,my question is,why would someone want to do a wordplay with their name? Does it mean they are not proud of their heritage and the actual spellings attached to their names or does changing or perhaps tushing the spelling of your name gives a special FUNKY feeling? Why not just go with your nick instead of these misappropriating your name and your identity in regards to where you are from?
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by flyingdutchman(m): 11:58am On Dec 13, 2014
I had wanted to talk about it. but, I considered their act to be silly. But, its sillier when we open a thread about it. Its irritating though. Painful for the eyes. Local behaviour at its best
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by nairamaverick(m): 11:59am On Dec 13, 2014
why didn't you ask your fb friend. it has been around since 08/09 if i can remember didn't like it, never tried it
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Movesz(m): 11:59am On Dec 13, 2014
NANSB..
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Movesz(m): 12:00pm On Dec 13, 2014
NANSB...
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Stanpeed: 12:43pm On Dec 13, 2014
flyingdutchman:
I had wanted to talk about it. but, I considered their act to be silly. But, its sillier when we open a thread about it. Its irritating though. Painful for the eyes. Local behaviour at its best
i think the op made sense.dere's ntin silly here, no need to be sentimental.am also of yoruba lineage.
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Stanpeed: 12:53pm On Dec 13, 2014
Was here
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Djicemob: 12:56pm On Dec 13, 2014
flyingdutchman:
What's silly here

Like i said,i'm not trying to ridicule your tribe,as a matter of fact,i think am doing something good.Is it not enough that English and all these slang usage is taking what's left of our indigenous language? Now its trying to take what's left of our identity and you feel its cool to sit back and watch? I shock for you ooo.
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Nobody: 2:06pm On Dec 13, 2014
It's been round for a while. should have expired sef.
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by flyingdutchman(m): 2:42pm On Dec 13, 2014
ema binu oo! How does Hardeyrhibeegbay look? Hahahahahahahahaha! grin grin grin Native! Your parents named you Adefarati, you had to switch to HArdeyFarHarTee grin grin grin
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 13, 2014
Charity - charix

and I'm not even Yoruba cheesy
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by Nobody: 5:44am On Jan 28, 2015
Djicemob:
There is suddenly a growing trend with SOME yoruba peeps(especially the youths) and the misappropriation of their names to look trendy or tushhy(whatever the case maybe),peeps now get to deliberately misspell their names to achieve some sort of COOL feel and belonging in their various social circle and platforms.Don't get me wrong,i'm not trying to ridicule any tribe or person cos it all boils down to the individual differences hence my use of the word 'SOME' above,but why would someone want to change the spelling of his/her name like this? (see list below)

Olamide now turns to Horlamiday

Bola - Bawlah

Yinka - Yeencah

Bunmi - Boomee

Lekan - Laykon

Bukky - Bouqui

Bolagi - Baller gee

One of my friend's name on FB is Hahyawlah shocked (Ayoola)

Now,my question is,why would someone want to do a wordplay with their name? Does it mean they are not proud of their heritage and the actual spellings attached to their names or does changing or perhaps tushing the spelling of your name gives a special FUNKY feeling? Why not just go with your nick instead of these misappropriating your name and your identity in regards to where you are from?
Thanks for asking. I just saw this and decided to reply. A goat had labelled it a sign of inferiority complex.

Well, personally myself there was nothing as irritating to me as the 'h' people began to add to their names. It sounded stupid to me as almost everyone change to 'Harbosede' or 'Haryyormideh'. I remained my Adedokun. cheesy

But, one thing is, I particularly hate any name with a number behind it. So when I tried to join Nairaland with 'lekan', someone was using the name. Pitifully, the brother with the name doesn't have a single post and hasn't even spent an hour online. His last seen was years back too. I wished there was a way I could tell him to de-activate for me. Lol

It took me time,a lot of time to decide, which one to opt for, between an invented spelling which I know would not have been taken or a moniker with 999 behind it. Lol

Finally, I chose to be laykorn, instead of lekan999. It has nothing to do with trying to sound porshce.
Ayamlaykorn
Re: New Trend With The Yoruba Youths by justhenry(m): 8:48am On Jan 28, 2015
In all, yoruba folks are the most culprits here. Whether any one tries to argue otherwise or not. I got a dozen on my facebook list and i noticed that first when I was serving in akwa ibom where they (yoruba corpers) abound. Horladhunnie (ola-duni), coonlay (u knw wht that means

(1) (Reply)

Do You Know? / Now That I Have Installed The Latest Whatsapp / Get In Here Guys!! How Many Of You Ever Used This? [see Photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.