Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,550 members, 7,819,954 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution (2717 Views)

A Much Needed Explanation of Evolution / The Inconsistences Of The Theories Of Evolution / Chris Oyakhilome’s Theory Of Alcoholism And Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 5:57pm On Dec 17, 2014
johnydon22:

hehehehehe so now you believe the world aint 6000 years like the bible said but actually more than 400million like science suggested... hehehehe thats a huge plus to science and a huge step from u in finding answers.!!! grin

heeeheeeheeee

next...
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by johnydon22(m): 6:03pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:

heeeheeeheeee

next...

grin grin grin
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 6:19pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:
[size=18pt]THE COELACANTH[/size]

Daubed "the living fossil" because of its relative lack of evolution over 400 million years, scientists are desperately now trying to back-pedal.

A creature with such lack of diversity and evolution over 400 million years deals a body blow to the Theory of Evolution.

(I await some halfwit to try to explain, with their infant school biology skills.)

https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/nathist.museum/images/coelacanth.jpg

Depending on who you ask, extant coelacanths are different from their fossil ancestors morphologically and genetically.

[b]Latimeria was first labelled as a ‘living fossil’ because the fossil genera were known before the extant species was discovered, and erroneous biological interpretations have grown and reports still show little morphological and molecular evolution. A closer look at the available molecular and morphological data has allowed us to show that most of the available studies do not show low substitution rates in the Latimeria genome, and furthermore, as pointed out by Forey 3 long before us, the supposed morphological stability of coelacanths from the Devonian until the present is not based on real data. As a consequence, the idea that the coelacanth is a biological ‘living fossil’ is a long held but false belief which should not bias the interpretation of molecular data in extant Latimeria populations. The same reasoning could be generalised to other extant species (such as hagfish, lamprey, shark, lungfish and tatuara, to cite few examples of vertebrates) that for various reasons are often presented as ‘ancient’, ‘primitive’, or ‘ancestral’ even if a lot of recent data has shown that they have many derived traits."[/b]

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bies.201200145/full

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 6:38pm On Dec 17, 2014
Weah96:

Depending on who you ask, extant coelacanths are different from their fossil ancestors morphologically and genetically.

[b]Latimeria was first labelled as a ‘living fossil’ because the fossil genera were known before the extant species was discovered, and erroneous biological interpretations have grown and reports still show little morphological and molecular evolution. A closer look at the available molecular and morphological data has allowed us to show that most of the available studies do not show low substitution rates in the Latimeria genome, and furthermore, as pointed out by Forey 3 long before us, the supposed morphological stability of coelacanths from the Devonian until the present is not based on real data. As a consequence, the idea that the coelacanth is a biological ‘living fossil’ is a long held but false belief which should not bias the interpretation of molecular data in extant Latimeria populations. The same reasoning could be generalised to other extant species (such as hagfish, lamprey, shark, lungfish and tatuara, to cite few examples of vertebrates) that for various reasons are often presented as ‘ancient’, ‘primitive’, or ‘ancestral’ even if a lot of recent data has shown that they have many derived traits."[/b]

It is the same article I mentioned earlier. If you read it critically, you can see it is a heap of rubbish. I have already pointed out some errors.

On the one hand they acknowledge slow morphological and molecular evolution. On the other hand, they use obfuscating language to deny it, conflating it with substitution rates and using the fallacious argument that absence of environmental pressures significantly reduces mutation rates. It doesn't. Mutation rates are random, and the main effect of environmental pressures in ToE is to cull the mutations, allowing only the 'fittest' to survive. Fewer pressures only means that a more diverse population survives, which is the opposite of what is observed in coelacanth populations.
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by asalimpo(m): 8:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:
[size=18pt]THE COELACANTH[/size]

Daubed "the living fossil" because of its relative lack of evolution over 400 million years, scientists are desperately now trying to back-pedal.

A creature with such lack of diversity and evolution over 400 million years deals a body blow to the Theory of Evolution.

(I await some halfwit to try to explain, with their infant school biology skills.)

https://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/nathist.museum/images/coelacanth.jpg

and is it ur high school education tht is full baked and well done?
You're d fellow who opens incendiary threads and backs out wen challenged to explain ur points only butting in to call others names.

3 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Longstride: 8:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:

Critical thinking is applicable in many fields. For example, when longstride reads the following, trips and falls into the coelacanth net, that is not critical thinking..

They do not live in an environment that suggests unusual pressure to improve molecular mechanisms, such as DNA replication and repair, resulting in a very low mutation rate.

Critical thinking helps you to read through BS. They are saying that 'nothing unusual' is the reason for an unusually low mutation rate. They have slipped in a couple of negatives and fooled you.
This is a fallacy. The whole point is that the mutations are random. Their explanation does not say why beneficial mutations should be any less for coelacanths
It is a link from your own article.

I have my line of work. You can join Dapo, who prefers to spend his 'productive' life asking rhetorical questions for "effect", stashing his hard drive with cartoons and remaining duped.

and your 'line of work', obviously, is looking for articles on evolution loopholes and attacking atheists with them using "critical thinking" ... You deserve a Nobel prize angry
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 9:17pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:

It is the same article I mentioned earlier. If you read it critically, you can see it is a heap of rubbish. I have already pointed out some errors.

On the one hand they acknowledge slow morphological and molecular evolution. On the other hand, they use obfuscating language to deny it, conflating it with substitution rates and using the fallacious argument that absence of environmental pressures significantly reduces mutation rates. It doesn't. Mutation rates are random, and the main effect of environmental pressures in ToE is to cull the mutations, allowing only the 'fittest' to survive. Fewer pressures only means that a more diverse population survives, which is the opposite of what is observed in coelacanth populations.

They acknowledge that some genes evolve more slowly than others. However, the most significant finding is that coelacanth genome sequences in phylogenetic analyses are NOT placed on short branches. This implies that there were numerous genome modifications between the fossil coelacanth and the extant ones.

Analyses of three nuclear genes (protocadherin clusters 18, vitellogenin genes 19, and nuclear-encoded recombination activating genes 19, 20) and two of the whole mitochondrial genome 21, 22 are often quoted in support of the hypothesis of slow evolution. However, a closer look at the data challenges this interpretation: depending on the analysed sequence, the coelacanth branch is not systematically shorter than the branches leading to other species. In addition, most phylogenetic analyses – including analysis of Hox sequences 23–26 – do not support the hypothesis that the Latimeria genome is slow evolving, i.e. they do not place coelacanth sequences on short branches nor do they detect low substitution rates 24, 27–31. The clearest example, which involves the largest number of genes, is a phylogeny based study of forty-four nuclear genes that does not show a dramatic decrease, if any, in the rate of molecular evolution in the coelacanth lineage.

Secondly, the article doesn't suggest mutation rates are low because of the absence of environmental pressures. That argument comes from the people who assume that the extant coelacanth is a living fossil. This is what the authors said, from the abstract.

(i) low intra-specific molecular diversity does not imply low mutation rate,

Nothing was said about the rate of mutation in coelacanths. They're talking about the fact that there is a low amount of allelic differentiation among populations of coelacanths. It could be caused by a low mutation rate, the lack of genetic drift, or other factors like population size.

Interestingly, although the two available analyses of L. chalumnae natural population genetics both detected low allelic diversity and low levels of geographic differentiation, they came to different conclusions. The first study 11 concluded that the low allelic diversity is the result of a small population size and the absence of strong geographic isolation, as has been concluded for similar findings in other species 14. In contrast, the more recent study, Lampert et al. 7, rejected these straightforward hypotheses. On the assumption that coelacanths are ‘living fossils’, the authors concluded that their data ‘confirm the assumed slow rate of molecular evolution in coelacanths’.

Before we go any further I would first like us to agree or disagree on WHAT was discovered. It would help to eliminate the circles, if you know what I mean. I found one, feel free to add yours.

Extant coelacanths show a low allelic differentiation among existing populations.

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 9:33pm On Dec 17, 2014
Here's a bigger picture showing the phylogeny of Actinistia, in terms of body outlines and approximate lengths. It looks like the morphology changed to me. The modern one at the bottom looks significantly different from the fossil ones.

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 10:05pm On Dec 17, 2014
Weah96:
Here's a bigger picture showing the phylogeny of Actinistia, in terms of body outlines and approximate lengths. It looks like the morphology changed to me. The modern one at the bottom looks significantly different from the fossil ones.

Sketches are not very scientific.

What is important is the evolution of the coelacanth relative to other species, and explaining why it is so significantly slower.
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 10:28pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:

Sketches are not very scientific.

What is important is the evolution of the coelacanth relative to other species, and explaining why it is so significantly slower.

But this is not true. Only certain genes can be said to "evolve slower" compared to those same genes in other species. Does this mean that the overall genome follows the same trend?

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 10:37pm On Dec 17, 2014
Weah96:

They acknowledge that some genes evolve more slowly than others. However, the most significant finding is that coelacanth genome sequences in phylogenetic analyses are NOT placed on short branches. This implies that there were [size=16pt]numerous[/size] genome modifications between the fossil coelacanth and the extant ones.

It doesn't imply that at all!

We also have to be more precise about "numerous". This has to be measured against other species. 10,000 can be few if 1000, 000 is typical.

Weah96:
Analyses of three nuclear genes (protocadherin clusters 18, vitellogenin genes 19, and nuclear-encoded recombination activating genes 19, 20) and two of the whole mitochondrial genome 21, 22 are often quoted in support of the hypothesis of slow evolution. However, a closer look at the data challenges this interpretation: depending on the analysed sequence, the coelacanth branch is not systematically shorter than the branches leading to other species.

This is equivocation. If you are looking at systematic bias, you consider everything, NOT your preferred selection depending on your choice of analyzed sequence.

In addition, most phylogenetic analyses – including analysis of Hox sequences 23–26 – do not support the hypothesis that the Latimeria genome is slow evolving, i.e. they do not place coelacanth sequences on short branches nor do they detect low substitution rates 24, 27–31. The clearest example, which involves the largest number of genes, is a phylogeny based study of forty-four nuclear genes that does not show a dramatic decrease, if any, in the rate of molecular evolution in the coelacanth lineage.

So what? They keep talking in negatives. They have to address the analysis for which the data was prepared, or generate their own data for their particular analysis.

Weah96:
Secondly, the article doesn't suggest mutation rates are low because of the absence of environmental pressures. That argument comes from the people who assume that the extant coelacanth is a living fossil. This is what the authors said, from the abstract.

(i) low intra-specific molecular diversity does not imply low mutation rate,

Nothing was said about the rate of mutation in coelacanths. They're talking about the fact that there is a low amount of allelic differentiation among populations of coelacanths. It could be caused by a low mutation rate, the lack of genetic drift, or other factors like population size.

You are contradicting yourself.

Interestingly, although the two available analyses of L. chalumnae natural population genetics both detected low allelic diversity and low levels of geographic differentiation, they came to different conclusions. The first study 11 concluded that the low allelic diversity is the result of a small population size and the absence of strong geographic isolation, as has been concluded for similar findings in other species 14. In contrast, the more recent study, Lampert et al. 7, rejected these straightforward hypotheses. On the assumption that coelacanths are ‘living fossils’, the authors concluded that their data ‘confirm the assumed slow rate of molecular evolution in coelacanths’.

Their argument is weak. They use small population to argue for low diversity. Then they talk about some amalgamated large population to explain low differentiation. They have to be consistent.

Before we go any further I would first like us to agree or disagree on WHAT was discovered. It would help to eliminate the circles, if you know what I mean. I found one, feel free to add yours.

Extant coelacanths show a low allelic differentiation among existing populations.

Fair enough.
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 11:04pm On Dec 17, 2014
sinequanon:

It doesn't imply that at all!

We also have to be more precise about "numerous". This has to be measured against other species. 10,000 can be few if 1000, 000 is typical.

This is equivocation. If you are looking at systematic bias, you consider everything, NOT your preferred selection depending on your choice of analyzed sequence.

So what? They keep talking in negatives. They have to address the analysis for which the data was prepared, or generate their own data for their particular analysis.

You are contradicting yourself.

Their argument is weak. They use small population to argue for low diversity. Then they talk about some amalgamated large population to explain low differentiation. They have to be consistent.

Fair enough.

You said that a short branch on a phylogenetic tree comparing genes does NOT imply that there were few modifications. What does it then mean? You can't just refute something with an empty declarative statement. Distance matrices are commonly used tools in molecular genetics. What does the length of the branch indicate, since, according to you, it doesn't indicate modifications.

I didn't see where the authors used a large population to argue in favor low differentiation. A simple copy paste would be nice.

Speaking of systematic bias, you're the one relying on the analysis of a few HOX clusters, not even all, to define what you THINK is going on. Your position is not based on whole genome analysis, but only a few genes.

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 11:15pm On Dec 17, 2014
Here's a list of some more creationist ideas. I have no doubt that you're planning to open another thread about one of these ideas soon.

Moles Can Smell in Stereo
'Talking' Ants Are Evidence for Creation
Deer in Black and White
Muscle Motion Discoveries Challenge Evolutionism
Scientists Discover Secret to Fast Swimming Penguins
Scientists Discover the 'Anternet'
Organ Discovery Shows Why Whales Didn't Evolve
Why Dogs Don't Need Snow Boots
Paddlefish Are Tuned to Eat Only Plankton
Scientists Discover New Clue to Geckos' Climbing Ability, 'Relatively Simple'
Genetic Stop Sign Halts Evolutionary Explanations
Embryonic Tissue Development Needs More than Just DNA
Did Flower Study Catch Evolution in the Act?
Towers of Hanoi No Match for Puzzle-Solving Ants
Where Did the Mimic Octopus Get Its Amazing Abilities?
Beetle Larva Bifocals Are Better than Manmade
Seal Whiskers Track Fish Trails
Specialized Communication Enables Dolphin Diplomacy

http://www.icr.org/article/coelacanths-evolutionists-still-fishing/

3 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 11:40pm On Dec 17, 2014
Weah96:

You said that a short branch on a phylogenetic tree comparing genes does NOT imply that there were few modifications. What does it then mean? You can't just refute something with an empty declarative statement. Distance matrices are commonly used tools in molecular genetics. What does the length of the branch indicate, since, according to you, it doesn't indicate modifications.

You have to explain why "genome sequences in phylogenetic analyses NOT placed on short branches implies that there were numerous genome modifications between the fossil coelacanth and the extant ones." "What else does it mean?" is not a explanation or basis for a proof!

And sling around the term "distance matrices", while "impressive", does not impress me or explain anything. I suspect it isn't even their argument.

Weah96:
I didn't see where the authors used a large population to argue in favor low differentiation. A simple copy paste would be nice.

The low genetic differentiation found in Latimera could thus be the result of the absence of geographic barriers, and the absence of small pelagic larvae could explain the low impact of ocean currents on population isolation.

Maybe you can explain this. It seems that they are arguing that interbreeding between different populations explains low genetic variation!

Weah96:
Speaking of systematic bias, you're the one relying on the analysis of a few HOX clusters, not even all, to define what you THINK is going on. Your position is not based on whole genome analysis, but only a few genes.

Clearly, it is not practical to do an entire genome analysis!

You clearly are supposed to use as much data as possible to determine a systematic pattern. Your paper is arguing that it can pick a subset that would "systematically" point to a different result! What nonsense.
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 12:01am On Dec 18, 2014
sinequanon:

You have to explain why "genome sequences in phylogenetic analyses NOT placed on short branches implies that there were numerous genome modifications between the fossil coelacanth and the extant ones." "What else does it mean?" is not a explanation or basis for a proof!

And sling around the term "distance matrices", while "impressive", does not impress me or explain anything. I suspect it isn't even their argument.

Maybe you can explain this. It seems that they are arguing that interbreeding between different populations explains low genetic variation!

Clearly, it is not practical to do an entire genome analysis!

You clearly are supposed to use as much data as possible to determine a systematic pattern. Your paper is arguing that it can pick a subset that would "systematically" point to a different result! What nonsense.

I told you what it means. You denied that it meant what I said. This is not a molecular biology class. I'm expecting you to provide information why you think that I was wrong, otherwise you shut the fck up and enroll in a molecular biology class. Don't tell someone they're wrong if you know absolutely nothing about the subject outside of what you can glean from creationist articles.

How st.upid can someone get. I tell you that Pichichi implies the highest goal scorer in Spain. You waltz in and say that's not what it means and then shut the fck up without saying anything else. Go fck yourself, you arrogant jerk. Don't waste my time trying to act like you know ANYTHING about the topics you lift from your creationist websites.

3 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 1:02am On Dec 18, 2014
Weah96:

I told you what it means. You denied that it meant what I said. This is not a molecular biology class. I'm expecting you to provide information why you think that I was wrong, otherwise you shut the fck up and enroll in a molecular biology class. Don't tell someone they're wrong if you know absolutely nothing about the subject outside of what you can glean from creationist articles.

How st.upid can someone get. I tell you that Pichichi implies the highest goal scorer in Spain. You waltz in and say that's not what it means and then shut the fck up without saying anything else. Go fck yourself, you arrogant jerk. Don't waste my time trying to act like you know ANYTHING about the topics you lift from your creationist websites.

lol, go and clean yourself up and calm down. You are clearly out of your depth.
Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 1:33am On Dec 18, 2014
sinequanon:

lol, go and clean yourself up and calm down. You are clearly out of your depth.

Says the m.oron who expects ME to tell him why HE says that I'm WRONG. As)shole. You don't know jack sh.it about science and evolution.

I'm waiting on you to regurgitate another well worn creationist argument here, you ignorant slowpoke.

And while you're at it, try to find out what the length of the branches mean in molecular phylogenetics. St.upid mor)on.

3 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 2:49am On Dec 18, 2014
For those interested in the meaning of branch lengths in molecular phylogenetics, do a simple Google search of "molecular phylogenetics, branch length." Apparently, this id.iot was too involved with the process of removing head from as.s to be bothered with the process. He claims that the length of the branch doesn't imply the number of evolutionary modifications, but yet won't provide what HE THINKS it means. Useless coward.

Close this useless thread, before you shame yourself into oblivion.

3 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by joseph1013: 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2014
Weah96:

I've not seen a more arrogant stu.pid jerk. He never listens. Looks for holes that science does not mind having. Infact science thrives with such to make massive progress.

So, now that you've convinced yourself that evolution is wrong, is there an alternative? When would you like to do your 'spirits' initiation for us?

This guy is worse than a religionist.

2 Likes

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by joseph1013: 7:34pm On Dec 18, 2014
This is the same idi.ot that says religion and science are one and the same.

The same guy that says science and technology are not interwoven.

How can a man have an 'appearance' of being education yet be so blind?

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by sinequanon: 7:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
The more I read this, the more I think it contends as the worst article I have read. It is full of contradictions, spin, double negatives and hot air...

"Of course, a node could be located deeper, or closer to the base, than another node, but no species should be flagged as ‘basal’ or [size=14pt]‘early branching’[/size] per se."

Have they seen this research?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1560029/

"A newly recognized fossil coelacanth [size=14pt]highlights the early morphological diversification[/size] of the clade"

Then there was this...

"No fossil is available either for extant coelacanth species or for the genus Latimeria itself 3. This suggests that palaeontologists – even those that are convinced that coelacanths are ‘living fossils’ – have considered morphological differences between extant and fossil coelacanths to be so extensive that they should be grouped in separate genera 41"

...there is no evidence, but the scientists found differences in the evidence! LOL!

The title of the article "Why coelacanths are not ‘living fossils’" is a straw man in itself, but the most laughable thing about the article is this...

"They do not live in an environment that suggests unusual pressure to improve molecular mechanisms, such as DNA replication and repair, resulting in a very low mutation rate 33."

i.e "nothing unusual" has led to unusually low mutation rates!! Great explanation!

Wait, earlier, they were denying low mutation rates...

"On the assumption that coelacanths are ‘living fossils’, the authors concluded that their data ‘confirm the assumed slow rate of molecular evolution in coelacanths’. As we found this conclusion surprising, we questioned to what extent low mutation rates have been detected in Latimeria."

They are trying to refute it AND explain it in the same article! What a joke! LOL!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by Weah96: 8:16pm On Dec 18, 2014
joseph1013:

I've not seen a more arrogant stu.pid jerk. He never listens. Looks for holes that science does not mind having. Infact science thrives with such to make massive progress.

So, now that you've convinced yourself that evolution is wrong, is there an alternative? When would you like to do your 'spirits' initiation for us?

This guy is worse than a religionist.

I don't understand why someone would welcome a debate on a subject he doesn't understand. In a public forum.

Early onset madness, I think it's called.

1 Like

Re: Body Blow For The Theory Of Evolution by michaelwestern(m): 8:58am On Dec 29, 2014
This thread shows that most atheists especially dapo have nothing in their heads and they'll like us to believe that they are atheists because they are very intelligent.

All most atheists on nairaland do is try to discredit the "christian God" by all means, they cant sustain a reasonable argument and they claim that critical thinking lead them to atheism.

This topic has nothing to do with God but atheists are still trying desperately to bring God into it. What kind of obsession do atheist have with God? Only weah attempted to engage the OP in an intellectual debate.

Finding faults in evolution does not authenticate the the existence of God. But why are the atheists desperately trying to dodge the question by bringing God into the equation.

Atheists stop embarrassing yourselves by desperately trying to win converts into your religion of atheism at all cost. Try to debate reasonably once in a while.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Songs Of Otem, The Revealer Of The God Of All Gods / Warning To All Christians. / The Witching Hour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.