Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,502 members, 7,770,256 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:15 AM

Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? (9141 Views)

Is It Harmful To Stay Awake For 4 Days Without Sleep / PHOTO - This Simple Sitting Test Could Predict How Long You Will Live. / What's The Longest You've Gone Without Sleep? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 12:54am On Dec 18, 2014
They said sleep is essential to the body just like breath. And it has been experimented on rats, that between 11-32days of sleep deprivation, they die.
I am just wondering if one decides to just stay awake or rather is forced to stay awake i.e without sleep, what is going to happen? Will he/she surivive? How long will he/she going to last?
Doctors oya...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by iluvweed(m): 2:15am On Dec 18, 2014
Lol...gentle nature will raise against your body and you just fall asleep without knowing it when its due time for your body to rest! Even if its just for 10mins!

6 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 2:24am On Dec 18, 2014
iluvweed:
Lol...gentle nature will raise against your body and you just fall asleep without knowing it when its due time for your body to rest! Even if its just for 10mins!

*Modified*
...one is forced to stay awake?

4 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by yorex2011: 7:34am On Dec 18, 2014
Actually.. Depriving someone of sleep is one of the worse torture possible.. There are machines that can do that by jolting the person whenever he tries to fall asleep... But i doubt if anyone can go more than 3 days without any form of sleep. The person fit mad

9 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 3:20pm On Dec 18, 2014
yorex2011:
Actually.. Depriving someone of sleep is one of the worse torture possible.. There are machines that can do that by jolting the person whenever he tries to fall asleep... But i doubt if anyone can go more than 3 days without any form of sleep. The person fit mad

still wondering too...
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 19, 2014
This reminds me of 2008 when I had to work a 48hrs shift due to a hurricane, I was so tired by the time relief came but I stayed strong for my patients all through. Some health care workers were evacuated but those of us that chose to stay worked like Hebrew slaves. I relied on coffee and energy drinks to keep me running, I'll always love my job though smiley

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 1:03pm On Dec 19, 2014
excelsia:
This reminds me of 2008 when I had to work a 48hrs shift due to a hurricane, I was so tired by the time relief came but I stayed strong for my patients all through. Some health care workers were evacuated but those of us that chose to stay worked like Hebrew slaves. I relied on coffee and energy drinks to keep me running, I'll always love my job though smiley

48hrs!...was there any quick nap like 5min or so between those hours or your eye's wide open for 48hrs?
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 19, 2014
DoubleFaith:

48hrs!...was there any quick nap like 5min or so between those hours or your eye's wide open for 48hrs?
48hrs was just the shift, if you include the time I was awake before then and the time my shift was over with all the craziness that took a lot of time, I was awake for well over 50 something hours.

3 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by braintext(m): 2:07pm On Dec 19, 2014
A year

1 Like

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Dec 19, 2014
DoubleFaith:
They said sleep is essential to the body just like breath. And it has been experimented on rats, that between 11-32days of sleep deprivation, they die.
I am just wondering if one decides to just stay awake or rather is forced to stay awake i.e without sleep, what is going to happen? Will he/she surivive? How long will he/she going to last?
Doctors oya...

This doctor says.....DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

In 1959....someone went for 200 hours without sleeping. Let's just say it didn't end well.

Sleep is needed for your brain to function well, helps keep the weight down, and helps you recharge for the business.

It is recommended .....8 Hours of sleep every 24 hours.

2 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by englishmart(m): 2:09pm On Dec 19, 2014
Provided I'm not an insomniac, I need not bother or wonder about that.
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by themejiwalker(m): 2:09pm On Dec 19, 2014
Sleep is important bruh!

The longest i've gone without sleep is 30 hours and i dont think i'll ever try that again
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Blackchampion(m): 2:10pm On Dec 19, 2014
If u work 13hours night shift 4 2 weeks, Chaiii! ur body go tell u.
#Experienced
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by salamij(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
24hrs
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by miqos02(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
no
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nmeri17: 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
health topics now making FP smiley

the longest recorded time someone went without sleep is 11 days.

has anyone seen the movie nightmare on elm street?? after about three days without sleep you start having microsleeps

4 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by bosun11(m): 2:11pm On Dec 19, 2014
hmmm...maybe 16 hours
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lemmie think about it...

1 Like

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by tbaby534(f): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
2 days
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by lifestyle1(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
Hustlers don't sleep.

Programers too.
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by holatin(m): 2:13pm On Dec 19, 2014
3 days
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Xzbit91: 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
never thought of it
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by dre11(m): 2:15pm On Dec 19, 2014
25 Terrible Side Effects of Not Getting Enough Sleep

Experts are just beginning to understand how sleep affects just about everything you do. But they do suggest you look out for these scary side effects of skimping on sleep in your 20s:

1. Increased risk of disease: In a recent study involving more than 54,000 adults, researchers found that people who sleep less than six hours per night (or more than nine) were significantly more likely to have heart disease or diabetes, have suffered a stroke, or be obese, even after researchers adjusted the results for other known risk factors.

2. Heightened blood pressure: Sleep loss stresses out your body and mind in a way that causes your blood pressure to spike. Over time, this could damage your heart, arteries, kidneys, and even bring about stroke, loss of vision, and a host of other health problems you seriously don't want.

3. Weakened immune system and reduced effectiveness of certain vaccinations: Vaccines are designed to trick your body into creating antibodies that provide immunity to a particular disease or infection. But exhaustion compromises the immune system, so your body doesn't produce adequate antibodies, according to a study in which researchers administered hepatitis B vaccinations and measured patients' antibodies before and after treatment.

4. Stress: When you don't get enough sleep, your body naturally releases the stress hormone cortisol, says Dr. Shalini Paruthi, director of the Pediatric Sleep and Research Center at SSM Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center in St. Louis, Missouri, and an AASM fellow. And it doesn't matter whether you were up late to work on spreadsheets or to work on catching up on The Mindy Project.

5. Greater risk of death: People who sleep less than five hours per night are 15 percent more likely to die from literally any cause, according to data from three massive studies. So yes, going to bed too late could eventually kill you.

6. Impaired creativity: Neuroimaging studies suggest that the brain spontaneously reorganizes information when you rest, which could explain why it's so much harder to focus and come up with ideas when you haven't slept.

7. Moodiness: There's something about exhaustion that turns you into Negative Nancy: In a two-year study in which 78 medical residents tracked their sleep and intermittently recorded their emotional responses to various stimuli, researchers found that fatigue intensified participants' negative emotions. Sleep deprivation actually affects your mood even more than it does your motor and cognitive performance, according to a massive review of 19 original research studies published in Sleep.

8. Lower GPA: Research suggests that college students who sleep the least earn lower grades than those who sleep nine or more hours per night. Your brain needs to cycle through certain deep sleep stages to store memories and solidify the things you learn. When you fall asleep, your heart rate and metabolic rate drop so your body can focus on those things, says Dr. Paruthi.

9. Poor decisions: Many parts of the brain are involved in decision-making. When you don't give your brain enough rest, it functions at half-mast, and you'll end up making less than savor
decisions: Many parts of the brain are involved in decision-making. When you don't give your brain enough rest, it functions at half-mast, and you'll end up making less than savory choices, Dr. Paruthi says.

10. Twitchy eyes: Dr. Paruthi says fatigue can cause an awkward-looking eye spaz called nystagmus, which makes your eyeballs move even involuntarily, even though your head is still.

11. Fertility issues: While there's no conclusive proof that sleep deprivation directly causes infertility, experts know that lack of sleep can stress you out and suspect it can also can interfere with your body's circadian rhythm. Together, this can ultimately suppress your reproductive hormones and impair your ability to sustain a pregnancy, according to an article published in Sleep Medicine.

12. Sex drought: Sleep or sex? Sex or sleep? When you're really, really tired, you don't always get to chooZzZz.

13. Weight gain: Countless studies have found that people who sleep less are more likely to be overweight. That's probably because sleep deprivation messes with the hormones that regulate your appetite (ghrelin) and tell your brain you're full (leptin), which can lead to chronic overeating, according to a review of experimental and observational studies of sleep published in The American Journal of Human Biology.

14. Fat Gene activation: Sleep loss basically turns your body against you: Research done on twins suggests that skimping on sleep (i.e., sleeping less than seven hours per night for the purposes of this study) fires up whatever fat-storing genes you have to increase your risk of gaining fat and holding on to it for good.

15. Emotional eating: In a recent study of 114 college students, participants were more likely to increase their food intake in response to strong feelings when they were particularly tired.

16. Depression: Sleep and depression are interrelated: Research suggests people who suffer from insomnia are more likely to suffer from major depression than people who sleep regularly.

17. Increased risk of car accidents: "Sleep-deprived patients in simulators have just as many accidents as someone who is drunk," Dr. Paruthi says.

18. Slower reaction time: When your brain isn't well rested, it doesn't take in information, process it, and respond to it as quickly as usual. "You lose speed before accuracy," Dr. Paruthi explains. "You'll get your work done, but it will take longer."

19. Tired partner: Even if you're the lone wolf who stays up late to online shop or binge-watch The Affair, you're not the only one who suffers sleep debt and associated side effects. If you sleep with a partner, you'll likely wake him up when you jump into bed a few hours later, which compromises his sleep quantity and quality. Regular rude awakenings could cause him to experience any number of the side effects listed here.

20. Tremors: Shaking can mess with your ability to carry out precise movements and detail-oriented tasks, like needle threading and tweezing your eyebrows. Which you really don't want to mess up.

21. Premature aging: When you don't get enough sleep, your body releases the stress hormone cortisol. If your body releases too much cortisol, it starts to break down collagen, a protein that promotes smooth skin and elasticity. Sleep deprivation also may decrease the production of the growth hormones in your body that strengthen the skin and fend off wrinkles, says Dr. David Bank, dermatologist and director of The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic, and Laser Surgery in Mount Kisco, NY

22. Dry skin: Sleep helps hydrate your skin so it doesn't get all dry and flaky. In other words, adequate sleep is like a natural moisturizer.

23. Big-time breakouts: When you don't get enough sleep, your stress levels soar and your body responds by producing more of the hormone glucocorticoid. This disrupts your skin structure, which makes you more vulnerable to acne. Lack of sleep also triggers inflammation, which can makes small blemishes blow up.

24. Dull skin: Sleep improves blood flow to the skin, Dr. Bank says. Don't get enough sleep, and your skin will look blotchy or pale.

25. Skin sensitivity: Your body's immune system builds its strength while you sleep, Dr. Bank explains. Sleep deprivation can make your skin more sensitive and even worsen existing skin conditions like rosacea or eczema.

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/advice/a34370/terrible-side-effects-of-skimping-on-sleep-in-your-20s/

So, please and please
Don't deprive your self of your sleep.
Because it could be dangerous

4 Likes

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
excelsia:
48hrs was just the shift, if you include the time I was awake before then and the time my shift was over with all the craziness that took a lot of time, I was awake for well over 50 something hours.

waow. 50 hours. Ok Noted

1 Like

Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Sheenor: 2:16pm On Dec 19, 2014
No be by force naah
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Shollay20(m): 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by DoubleFaith(m): 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2014
braintext:
A year

LOL. Be serious
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Adiwana: 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2014
DoubleFaith:

*Modified*
...one is forced to stay awake?
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Pancho01(m): 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2014
Lemme try it ds period I'm on leave.
Re: Ever Wonder How Long You Can Go Without Sleep? by Adiwana: 2:18pm On Dec 19, 2014

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can An "AC" Blood Genotype Go With an "AS" Genotype? / Two Weeks Pregnancy: / YODI Or 3 DOUGHNUTS A Day For Weight Gain?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.