Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,869 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:21 AM

Obama: Pope Francis Urged Me And Raul Castro To Resolve Alan's Case - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Obama: Pope Francis Urged Me And Raul Castro To Resolve Alan's Case (354 Views)

Pope Francis Stepping Down, Says ‘there Is No God’ / ISIS Claim Beheading Of British Aid Worker Alan Henning. / Igbo Monarchs Urged To Withdraw Chieftaincy Titles Conferred On Okorocha... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Obama: Pope Francis Urged Me And Raul Castro To Resolve Alan's Case by skillsbaba(m): 12:42pm On Dec 18, 2014
The Pope is probably still the most influential person in the world. Pope Francis played a key role in finalizing a deal to open relations between the United States and Cuba for the first time in 53 years, President Obama said Wednesday.

His Holiness Pope Francis issued a personal appeal to me and to Cuba's president, Raúl Castro, urging us to resolve Alan's case and to address Cuba's interests in the release of three Cuban agents, who've been jailed in the United States for over 15 years," Obama said.
The pope wrote a personal letter to Obama this fall — something he'd never done before — and a separate letter to Castro.The letter invited the leaders to "resolve humanitarian questions of common interest, including the situation of certain prisoners," according to a Vatican statement congratulating the two countries Wednesday.
Obama and Pope Francis discussed Cuba when the two met at the Vatican in March, senior administration officials said.
“Cuba was a topic of discussion that got as much attention as anything else that the two of them discussed,” one senior official said.

source: http://www.breakingnews234.com/2014/12/obama-pope-francis-urged-me-and-raul.html

(1) (Reply)

INEC Shifts Submission For Gov, State Assembly Candidates Lists / Top5 Eyes On Things / Nairalanders Pls Help A Fellow Learn How To Starch Wears Effectively

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.