Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,343 members, 7,819,208 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:46 PM

Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? (3993 Views)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Why Do Only Africans Especially Nigerians Hiss? Lol / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 8:08am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
Somalis are actually a peculiar people, having been exposed to them a bit. I believe that strengh derives from the fact that Somali family structures remain unscathed by both colonialism and urbanisation. There is a Somali social, economic system that works for the Somalis independent of the Western market. The rest of Africa should learn this independence and break free of the indirect control by the West through its imposed systems.

Somalis do not care so much for government or anybody for that matter. Trust the Black Hawk down to happen in Somalia. I think the movie was the CIA trying to save face by the way.

lol, I am Somali. You hit the nail on the head. How do you know Somalis?

Also, colonialism in Somalia was much different than in the rest of Africa. Europeans were not free to go about in Somalia, as Somalis were fighting them till the U.N. made Somalia a trusteeship in order to form a government under the U.K. and Italy. that was for 10 years 1950-1960. Before that we were fight the British, Somalis in the south did work with the Italians to invade Ethiopia to get back the Somali region of Ethiopia.

We happen to be lucky in that their is a strong identity in what it means to be Somali (Muslim, Somali language, culture, shared history, we look the same, homogenous).

As for the Black hawk down incident. That movie didn't even have Somalis, they used west african actors. And the U.N., USA, EU, all got their butt whooped by one sub sub sub clan, in one district in the capital Mogadishu. lmao

Also Somali governement is essentially the family, where the husband is the head of the house hold. We even have our own customary laws that date back hundreds of years. Its called Xeer.

We had a legal system using detectives, judges, jurists, police way before America existed and europeans were governed by Kings who executed the people without a trial.

Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 9:03am On Dec 23, 2014
@axum
Am in the neighbourhood. I know many landlords love Somali tenants as they usually rent out entire flats to accomodate extendend families and pay years in advance. Some people may think this close knitness of family ties is a weakness but its actually a strength, and an avenue through which the society can guard its morals, wealth and freedom.

Once you are scattered and isolated, then enemies creep in and steal away and turn themselves into a false option of security. Thats why I do not believe ethnic identities are bad. It is a system of governance, one directly in opposition to the Western ideals of capitalism, democracy, and individualism. It is one very powerful weapon. Thats why it has never been, never will be projected in positive light in the eyes of the West. They know if that happened, African resources would revert back to its real owners, the people. As an example, these people know there is oil in SouthWest Somalia. So impose a "democratic" government, get the bid and take it away.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 9:21am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
@axum
Am in the neighbourhood. I know many landlords love Somali tenants as they usually rent out entire flats to accomodate extendend families and pay years in advance. Some people may think this close knitness of family ties is a weakness but its actually a strength, and an avenue through which the society can guard its morals, wealth and freedom.

Once you are scattered and isolated, then enemies creep in and steal away and turn themselves into a false option of security. Thats why I do not believe ethnic identities are bad. It is a system of governance, one directly in opposition to the Western ideals of capitalism, democracy, and individualism. It is one very powerful weapon. Thats why it has never been, never will be projected in positive light in the eyes of the West. They know if that happened, African resources would revert back to its real owners, the people. As an example, these people know there is oil in SouthWest Somalia. So impose a "democratic" government, get the bid and take it away.

what is your ethnicity, and what country are you in?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 10:10am On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

what is your ethnicity, and what country are you in?
Luhya, Kenyan. Whats yours?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 10:39am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
Luhya, Kenyan. Whats yours?

I am Somali, of course. smiley
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

I am Somali, of course. smiley
Thanks for not fighting back when I severally attacked you. You must be a rare and kind Somali, regardless of your occassional Bantu attacks. What's up with that?? kiss
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 11:17am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
Thanks for not fighting back when I severally attacked you. You must be a rare and kind Somali, regardless of your occassional Bantu attacks. What's up with that?? kiss

1. Are you a female?

2. When did you attack me?

3. All Somalis are kind. What makes you say other wise?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

1. Are you a female?

2. When did you attack me?

3. All Somalis are kind. What makes you say other wise?
My point exactly.

You are quite discerning. And on kindness, It can only be individual.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 11:42am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
My point exactly.

You are quite discerning. And on kindness, It can only be individual.

Am confused, what are you talking about?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:53am On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

Am confused, what are you talking about?
You never noticed I attacked you? Thats kindness.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 11:54am On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
You never noticed I attacked you? Thats kindness.

What did you say? Was against me personally, or my people? You have to excuse me, I have been busy the last few weeks.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

What did you say? Was against me personally, or my people? You have to excuse me, I have been busy the last few weeks.
It was some time ago. Water under the bridge.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 12:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:
It was some time ago. Water under the bridge.

What did you say about me or my people?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

What did you say about me or my people?
Forget it. Changed my mind. You are a verbal Somali warlord.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 12:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
muafrika:

Forget it. Changed my mind. You are a verbal Somali warlord.

Are you a woman or man?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by adamskutty(m): 4:41pm On Dec 23, 2014
axum:

lol, I am Somali. You hit the nail on the head. How do you know Somalis?

Also, colonialism in Somalia was much different than in the rest of Africa. Europeans were not free to go about in Somalia, as Somalis were fighting them till the U.N. made Somalia a trusteeship in order to form a government under the U.K. and Italy. that was for 10 years 1950-1960. Before that we were fight the British, Somalis in the south did work with the Italians to invade Ethiopia to get back the Somali region of Ethiopia.

We happen to be lucky in that their is a strong identity in what it means to be Somali (Muslim, Somali language, culture, shared history, we look the same, homogenous).

As for the Black hawk down incident. That movie didn't even have Somalis, they used west african actors. And the U.N., USA, EU, all got their butt whooped by one sub sub sub clan, in one district in the capital Mogadishu. lmao

Also Somali governement is essentially the family, where the husband is the head of the house hold. We even have our own customary laws that date back hundreds of years. Its called Xeer.

We had a legal system using detectives, judges, jurists, police way before America existed and europeans were governed by Kings who executed the people without a trial.

axum my niggi niggi nigga , culture section has been dead since u vanished some few months back to the unknown.

I hereby give u the power to TR grin LL once again

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2014
adamskutty:
axum my niggi niggi nigga , culture section has been dead since u vanished some few months back to the unknown.

I hereby give u the power to TR grin LL once again

Hello my Brother (I don't know if Somali law allows me to call a Bantu a brother, but Phuckkk it).

We need to overhaul this place. I am your alpha male, Kick this fulani goat herding beta male to the side, and vote for me as a moderator.

Inorder for me to achieve my dreams for this place, their will need to be strict discipline. I require absolute obedience. I require all Bantus to be my slave until we can get this place up and running for business.

cheesy

These are my demands, or I will go back into the abyss.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by RandomAfricanAm: 2:31am On Dec 24, 2014
Axum brings up a point that is seldom mentioned and hardly ever elaborated. That is "colonialism" hit different groups drastically different(some hardly at all) as he mentioned Somali we could also look at the dogon, tuareg, nuba or even 'mande of Liberia' and 'Buganda of Uganda' who "signed" land over to Europeans but were left alone to various degrees politically/militarily until much later.

To put it simply unless you were in a trade zone for resources or an immediate political/military threat to Europeans accessing those resources you probably weren't in the path of the harshest threats to your culture

(even missionaries didn't go far past trade zones, only "adventurers" did that).
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 4:17am On Dec 24, 2014
RandomAfricanAm:
Axum brings up a point that is seldom mentioned and hardly ever elaborated. That is "colonialism" hit different groups drastically different(some hardly at all) as he mentioned Somali we could also look at the dogon, tuareg, nuba or even 'mande of Liberia' and 'Buganda of Uganda' who "signed" land over to Europeans but were left alone to various degrees politically/militarily until much later.

To put it simply unless you were in a trade zone for resources or an immediate political/military threat to Europeans accessing those resources you probably weren't in the path of the harshest threats to your culture

(even missionaries didn't go far past trade zones, only "adventurers" did that).

I agree but would like to add more.

Europeans wanted to enslave Somalis and tried, but Somalis kicked Portugal's butt using Cannons in the 1500's and kept them at bay.

Their is no more stretegic location in Africa than the Horn.

So depending on how advanced and disciplined your civilization was you could have thwarted European colonialism.

Also Europeans came to Somalia in the 1900's and were fought tooth and nail, on the other hand they were in west africa 1500's, don't get me wrong they were also in Somalia at the same time, but because of defeating them they did not return until world war 1, in which case the Northern part made treaty with them to use the harbor, and the south aligned with Italy to fight Ethiopia. So the culture was not changed at all, in fact it was strengthened as we saw a foreigner coming onto our lands.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by RandomAfricanAm: 5:44am On Dec 24, 2014
I actually have the English language edition of that book here in my library were the Portuguese came Africa looking for the Christian kingdom of "Prester john" and got caught up in a warfare version of doubles with Abyssinia & Portuguese v.s. Somalis & Ottomans

You just reminded me of something else I wanted to add in the way of topics/angles that people don't discus a lot. Though I'm sleepy now(6 hour accelerated Training sessions for a new job) so I'll add it tomorrow.

Peace

1 Like

Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 5:51am On Dec 24, 2014
RandomAfricanAm:
I actually have the English language edition of that book here in my library were the Portuguese came Africa looking for the Christian kingdom of "Prester john" and got caught up in a warfare version of doubles with Abyssinia & Portuguese v.s. Somalis & Ottomans

You just reminded me of something else I wanted to add in the way of topics/angles that people don't discus a lot. Though I'm sleepy now(6 hour accelerated Training sessions for a new job) so I'll add it tomorrow.

Peace

Keep in mind that Somalis defeated Ethiopia, then they asked for the help of Portugal. Thats when the Somalis sought help from the Ottoman empire. In the end Somalis won, and took over much of Ethiopia, thus the reason why half is inhabited by Somalis who only number 5 million.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by adamskutty(m): 8:27am On Dec 24, 2014
axum:

He are my demands, or I will go back into the abyss.
Noble fulaman of the federal republic of Nigeria come see the comedian of this section doing what he knows how to do best. grin

I don't know if his brain is begining to malfuntion again but trust me the chief engineer will fix it and tight every screw in his brain properly. grin

Axum, weed is very dangerous my friend, especially if u take urs with dry cow dung grin
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by axum: 9:44am On Dec 24, 2014
adamskutty:
Noble fulaman of the federal republic of Nigeria come see the comedian of this section doing what he knows how to do best. grin

I don't know if his brain is begining to malfuntion again but trust me the chief engineer will fix it and tight every screw in his brain properly. grin

Axum, weed is very dangerous my friend, especially if u take urs with dry cow dung grin

So you mean to tell me this site has done well under the leadership of Fulaman?

All I see is death from this goat herding Fulani, he has destroyed this culture section with his strict Sharia law.

I come to you as a savior. Embrace me Bantus. cheesy
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Exjoker(m): 9:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
Civilization. is very important in getting rid of tribalism?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 1:02am On Dec 26, 2014
Abuamam:

I am not talking about your pagan religion here. I am talking about different ethnic groups only being divided along tribal lines in Africa.
Gulf Arabs segregate according to their family lineages or Religion, not tribe. They all speak more or less the same language. Hindus are segregated based on the caste system; sort of like the osu caste system among the igbos, but more complex; not a tribal system.
Only Africans are segregated according to tribes in modern times. Although, we do hear occasionally of some undiscovered primitive jungle tribe in the Amazon jungle etc., but there is no emphasis on tribalism in other continents.

Perhaps delineation according to tribe in Africa, was a divide and rule tactic used by the colonialists. Sort of like the Hutu/ Tutsi divide encouraged by the Belgians.

BTW, there is no evidence of the Catholic church enforcing inter-ethnic marriages anywhere.

Even Belgium has ethnic groups. French, Netherlands and German, and so you know they also face the same issues that we face albeit on a lower scale.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by tonychristopher: 9:12am On Dec 27, 2014
Abuamam:
I really dont understand why non Africans do not have tribes. For example, in Europe, we have the French, Germans, Spanish, Portugese etc, but they are not referred to as 'tribes' either by themselves or by outsiders. If we want to narrow it down to individual nations, we can take say, Britain. They have the English, the Scots, the Welsh, the Irish... each with a distinctive language and culture, but they do not identify as tribes. India must have hundreds of languages, but no tribes.
Why is it that only Africans divide themselves into tribes? Just curious. Any theories anyone?
Who told u

In England they have tribes like Celts Totten Hans English etc even in Germany Bavarians dutch etc ate tribes ..they have Roma Gypsies and Slavs in eastern EU so dude talk what you know
.just that the EU have gone pass tribal to. National
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Dec 27, 2014
tonychristopher:

Who told u
In England they have tribes like Celts Totten Hans English etc even in Germany Bavarians dutch etc ate tribes ..they have Roma Gypsies and Slavs in eastern EU so dude talk what you know
.just that the EU have gone pass tribal to. National

Justfollowit:

Even Belgium has ethnic groups. French, Netherlands and German, and so you know they also face the same issues that we face albeit on a lower scale.

You guys still don't get my meaning. I know that there are French, German, Spanish ethnic groups. Do they segregate into tribes? Do they identify as tribes? Do they look at tribal intermarriage as undesirable? Do they vote for leaders or associate on that basis? Is there a Welsh street in London, or French street in Brussels? Do they even CALL themselves tribes? Do they claim superiority on the basis of tribe? Do they hate each other based on tribal affiliations? Does tribe dominate every type of relationship, from business to friendship that they have with one another? Or is it only Africans south of the Sahara that do?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by tonychristopher: 8:23pm On Dec 27, 2014
Abuamam:

You guys still don't get my meaning. I know that there are French, German, Spanish ethnic groups. Do they segregate into tribes? Do they identify as tribes? Do they look at tribal intermarriage as undesirable? Do they vote for leaders or associate on that basis? Is there a Welsh street in London, or French street in Brussels? Do they even CALL themselves tribes? Do they claim superiority on the basis of tribe? Do they hate each other based on tribal affiliations? Does tribe dominate every type of relationship, from business to friendship that they have with one another? Or is it only Africans south of the Sahara that do?

Yes its you that is confused you asked a question and we have given you an answer so weather theybsegregate that is a different ball game and its individual not tribal . Even in Spain they have the Catalans and other Iberian tribes and Catalans wants to form their own country in Ukrainian they have the Donetsk the ethnic Russia and they want to join their kind in Russia ..in Scotland the Scots are tribes in united kingdom they want to be free from Saxons and Anglo and celts they want their own country

Now you asked a question which have been answered and if they segregate that is based on individual level ...remember therr are progressives and conservative s so it depends on who you meet

There are tribes over there also and do we segregate here . It depends on the family also

Segregation is an individual thing

Even in Ireland Catholic and Anglican segregated

In Russia the Slavs segregate the Roma tribes

Its everywhere don't let them fool you ..its depends on individuals and society
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by tonychristopher: 8:46pm On Dec 27, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Those groups qualify more as 'tribes' than African ethnic groups, some of whom number several tens of millions. Referring to say Yorubas, who number perhaps 50 million, as a 'tribe' is more a sign of ignorance and colonial conditioning than anything else. Likewise it's ludicrous to refer to ethnic groups like Igbos, Hausas etc as ''tribes''. It makes absolutely no sense.

Your mistaken

Yoruba Igbo and other big ethnicity r either ethnic group or nation ..it doesn't mean political speaking but they are distinct

Now let me break it down

Familiies makes up clan
Clan makes tribe
Tribe makes a nation

Now do know that not all African clans were colonized by Europeans directly ..some fought them drastically some were just colonized easily

The igbos were very warrior like they thought European a lesson through series of wars like arochukwu and ekumeku war which lasted decades

The Europeans never had a direct rule on the whole Igbo land so they resorted to indirect rule

Pls do research

Tribe ain't derogatory but an identifier

I do not see any thing wrong in that term
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Dec 27, 2014
tonychristopher:

Tribe ain't derogatory but an identifier

So why are the French and Kosovans not described as tribes?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by tonychristopher: 6:05am On Dec 28, 2014
ROSSIKE:

So why are the French and Kosovans not described as tribes?

I am done

They are not tribe they are ethnic nationality

Tribe is a subset of ethnic nationality

Why is this hard for u dear
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 28, 2014
No modern day European ethnicity or subset of an ethnicity will describe itself as a tribe. When Europeans use the word tribe to describe other Europeans, it is usually used for barbarian groups from the Dark Ages and earlier. Groups like the Saxons, the Goths, etc. Modern Europeans with their perception of themselves as 'civilized' people DO NOT use the word for themselves, but apply it to non-European groups they consider primitive and undeveloped.

Tribe is not a neutral term. It is loaded. And yes, it is derogatory. This is a settled matter in anthropological circles. I don't know why we are even debating it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Birds Of Poetry / What Can You Tell Me About Birom Ladies. / The Somali People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.