Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,673 members, 7,955,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 07:02 AM

Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? (4168 Views)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Why Do Only Africans Especially Nigerians Hiss? Lol / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:46pm On Dec 28, 2014
^u r wrong. Not entirely right atleast.

Why was my explanation on tribes banned? I want Mods to unblock that post.
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 28, 2014
^ You consider Hausa a tribe, yes?
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by macof(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2014
Abuamam:

I am not talking about your pagan religion here. I am talking about different ethnic groups only being divided along tribal lines in Africa.
Gulf Arabs segregate according to their family lineages or Religion, not tribe. They all speak more or less the same language. Hindus are segregated based on the caste system; sort of like the osu caste system among the igbos, but more complex; not a tribal system.
Only Africans are segregated according to tribes in modern times. Although, we do hear occasionally of some undiscovered primitive jungle tribe in the Amazon jungle etc., but there is no emphasis on tribalism in other continents.

Perhaps delineation according to tribe in Africa, was a divide and rule tactic used by the colonialists. Sort of like the Hutu/ Tutsi divide encouraged by the Belgians.

BTW, there is no evidence of the Catholic church enforcing inter-ethnic marriages anywhere.

We can't really say it's the catholic church's doing but it was rampant at the church's imperial period...the Holy Roman empire, Britain.. comes to mind
Re: Why Is It Only Africans That Have Tribes? by macof(m): 4:57pm On Dec 28, 2014
itstpia100:

tribes are not defined by numbers but rather by the fact of colonization.

it is futile to take offence at a depiction when you know the reality remains what it is.

Rosikke is right...You can't refer mega African groups like Yoruba, Hausa Igbo as tribes...these are Infact cultural nations on their own

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? / Where Does The Name Yoruba Come From? / Yoruba And Benin Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.