Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,488 members, 7,958,481 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:22 PM

Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny (13507 Views)

My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / How To Discover Your Purpose, Or Destiny? / Was It Destiny, Fate Or Predestination That Saved You from that accident or got you that job ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Okudiover(m): 7:00am On Dec 21, 2014
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin The name GOODLUCK has a largely beneficial effect on the good fortunes of themselves and family at the expense of the greater good..... our Country.

1 Like

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Synthase(m): 7:58am On Dec 21, 2014
If you believe your name has an influence on your destiny then, it is definitely so! That is what religion has made us to believe. Christians believe in Jesus and it works for them likewise, muslims believe in Allah and Muhammad and it works for them while the ifa, irunmoles et al. are not left out. I attended a naming ceremony recently and the preacher was trying to prove this point and in the process he condemned names like Jacob saying you should change you name if you bear Jacob! The annoying one he mentioned among others is Paul saying it means little then I ask myself Jesus himself that changed the name of Saul to Paul didnt know this? He was not informed too grin I have seen someone bearing Jabez and I asked what the meaning is and he replied by asking me too 'dont you read your bible? Jabez was more honourable than his brethren' I seriously rest my case grin
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Oahray: 8:04am On Dec 21, 2014
DEagle1:
My question is actually 'does the name that people bear affect them in life or determine their destiny, fortunes, or progress or in life?'

In the bible we can see several people whose 'name' could not allow/permit them to experience blessing or make progress in life; Abram, Jacob, Jabez, Simon, Saul to name a few. What's your take on this?
out of your list, only Abram had a name change, and this was simply to reflect God's promise, not because it had the power to limit God's blessings.

Jacob simply had an alias, for several years later, God called himself the God of Abraham, Isaac and JACOB. Jabez' name wasn't changed but he got blessed anyway. Simon Peter was still called Simon by Jesus after his resurrection. Saul simply started using his Roman name, Paul, more often.

Names are simply names, and most times our life and actions define our 'names', and not the other way round. Some persons named Goodluck have died in accidents. Some named Elijah have proved by their actions that they do not truly acknowledge God.
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by BlackSEER(m): 8:12am On Dec 21, 2014
Africans and their stupid superstitions. There is nothing in a name.if you want to succeed in life simply work hard and depend on God.Names are there just to identify you
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Edd1e(m): 8:31am On Dec 21, 2014
why do people always use the bible for references. let's assume we r in a state of limbo in terms of religion.
abeg

damn, wat am i sayin sef?

2 Likes

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Beetroot: 8:53am On Dec 21, 2014
No.
Factors like the environment you grew up in, the kind of parents you had, the schools you attended e.t.c are what makes and shapes you.
You should watch freakanomics. Those guys had statistics to back it up, I think
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by chronique(m): 9:12am On Dec 21, 2014
Yes,it does.
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by louiskay(m): 9:43am On Dec 21, 2014
series of societal factors are responsible of anything that becomes of U ...... but u hold 90% of it all ........ the remaining 10 to anytin u believe in..... shekena
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by BigBen10: 9:46am On Dec 21, 2014
I don't think our names have influence on our destiny. our destiny is what we make it to be.

look at a names like Hitler-am sure who ever gave him that name gave it with good intention but almost nobody will ever bear that name again cause of the atrocities he committed.

While names like Einstein and Noble stands for something good and people will continually name their children after them.

1 Like

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by zigod1: 9:53am On Dec 21, 2014
Interesting topic @op. I have found out a few powerful truths about names. Let me share. 1. The influence of ur name is greater if its a litl sublime. That is when the name isnt english. If ur name means 'big man' in ur language, it bears more influence on ur life than if ur name is big man in english. 2. Being named after someone typifies ur life to resemble that person u were named after. My dads name is sunday. He grew up under his big brother. He was terribly maltreated and abused as a child. Now my dads halfbrother later on named his son after my dad. That boy grew up wt his uncle and later ran away because of maltreatment and abuse. I can share more than 20 real life examples. And thr r biblical cases too. Thr is more to the phenomenon of naming and names than we know.

1 Like

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by dein77(m): 10:33am On Dec 21, 2014
What of WABARA? I was told the name isn't a good one, but the fella was a one time federal lawmaker.

A name is simply a means of identity.

Work hard. Pray as well. Success will be yours.
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by DAvIt0(m): 12:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
Ishilove:
It may. I know someone who bears the name 'Agbogunsori' (trans. Carrier of battles). He is a polygamist who's life is indeed a very big battle grin

But he's faring well?
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by emeke247: 1:35pm On Dec 21, 2014
i dont know
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Ishilove: 1:45pm On Dec 21, 2014
DAvIt0:

But he's faring well?
Nope,he isn't.
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by DEagle1: 2:23pm On Dec 21, 2014
CircleOfWilis:
Everything make front page now..it has killed the joy people get when their post makes fp
If that is directed to me, i still dance my azonto 4 eagle square. peace
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by DEagle1: 2:53pm On Dec 21, 2014
Oahray:
out of your list, only Abram had a name change, and this was simply to reflect God's promise, not because it had the power to limit God's blessings.

Jacob simply had an alias, for several years later, God called himself the God of Abraham, Isaac and JACOB. Jabez' name wasn't changed but he got blessed anyway. Simon Peter was still called Simon by Jesus after his resurrection. Saul simply started using his Roman name, Paul, more often.

Names are simply names, and most times our life and actions define our 'names', and not the other way round. Some persons named Goodluck have died in accidents. Some named Elijah have proved by their actions that they do not truly acknowledge God.
Your opinion
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by vooks: 3:44pm On Dec 21, 2014
Negroes and their superstitions are inseparable....Siamese

Let us look at New Testament;
Romans 16:14 (KJV)
Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them. 15 Salute Philologus, and Julia, Nereus, and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints which are with them.

These are two close buddies of Paul and they had names of Greek gods. Surely they must have missed some Generational curses class

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2014
its does
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2014
adexsimply:
Capital no..what nonsense?
You can ask Abraham (Former Abram), Sarah (Former Sarai), Israel (Former Jacob) and even Jabez. Or maybe Shedrach, Meshach and Abadnego will have an answer...
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Agybabe(f): 7:31pm On Dec 21, 2014
Examples,...Jabez, Abram and Sarai, Jacob, etc. These people and their names came into display in the Holy Bible on their way to fulfill destiny.

JABEZ
In 1 Chronicles 4 vs 9 - 10, there the Bible choose to pick out Jabez from the generation list (of begat and begat) to talk about. He was noted to be more honourable than his brethren, but he wasn't blessed. Why, his own mother cursed him through the name she called him because she travailed in sorrow before he was brought forth. Honourable but cursed not blessed! Until, he (Jabez) asked God for blessings which was granted, he lived in sorrow. Although the bible didn't make any record of a name change, but we know his name had an effect on his life and destiny.

ABRAM and SARAI
In Genesis 17 vs 1 - 16, although God had been using Abram and his household, but for a new covenant to be enacted, he changed their names from Abram to Abraham (father of nations) and Sarai to Sarah (mother of nations). And with that a new hope to having Isaac sprung up.

JACOB
In Genesis 27 vs 19, Jacob deceived Isaac his father into believing he was Esau, thus he stole Esau's birthright under disguise. When asked by his blind dad what his name was, "...Esau, your first born" he lied. Fled to mum's land, then, wanted to return home, on the way, wrestled with an angel. In chapter 32 vs 27 - 28, the angel asked his name and then he confessed to be Jacob. There and then he stopped being an impostor, because then he deceived Isaac that he was Esau. But with that admission that he was Jacob, he got his own blessing that also came with a change of name. Jacob to Israel.

So, these people (except Jabez) had to have their name changed so as to fulfill purpose. Jabez included, we know their names had an effect on their lives.
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by DEagle1: 7:51pm On Dec 21, 2014
JABEZ
In 1 Chronicles 4 vs 9 - 10, there the Bible choose to pick out Jabez from the generation list (of begat and begat) to talk about. He was noted to be more honourable than his brethren, but he wasn't blessed. Why, his own mother cursed him through the name she called him because she travailed in sorrow before he was brought forth. Honourable but cursed not blessed! Until, he (Jabez) asked God for blessings which was granted, he lived in sorrow. Although the bible didn't make any record of a name change, but we know his name had an effect on his life and destiny.

ABRAM and SARAI
In Genesis 17 vs 1 - 16, although God had been using Abram and his household, but for a new covenant to be enacted, he changed their names from Abram to Abraham (father of nations) and Sarai to Sarah (mother of nations).quite insightful
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by Nobody: 12:43am On Dec 22, 2014
I doubt cos oyibo dey answer yeye names like walter as in water, corridon as in flat corridon, I doubt if the pople bearin the two above r guided by water and corridon
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by tpiah01: 10:20pm On Mar 28, 2016
DEagle1:
My question is actually 'does the name that people bear affect them in life or determine their destiny, fortunes, or progress or in life?'

In the bible we can see several people whose 'name' could not allow/permit them to experience blessing or make progress in life; Abram, Jacob, Jabez, Simon, Saul to name a few. What's your take on this?

it was the name and not the character which God wanted to change?
Re: Does People's Name Have Any Effect On Their Fate Or Destiny by lilliesboy(m): 7:18pm On Dec 28, 2017
Nice topic. I strongly believe that a person's name has NO effect on her/him.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Actress Eucheria Disgrace Pastor Ituah Ighadalo / Caught On Camera: Holy Mary Appeared Live In Kaduna, Nigeria (see Photos, Video) / Repent World! Jesus Is Coming Soon!! Second Rapture Dream In Barely 2 Months!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.