Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,455 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

I Just Had To Modify This - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Just Had To Modify This (1021 Views)

Modify Default Page Template And Add 2 Sidebars In Wordpress / How To Modify Simple Machine Forum (SMF) / How To Modify A Qr Code To Look Creative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Had To Modify This by rancetech(m): 10:45pm On Dec 09, 2008
I know I shouldn't have started this dumb thread, please forgive me all. It's very childish.
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by yawatide(f): 10:51pm On Dec 09, 2008
So many dudes on this section are fond of making noise about logical thinking, and how you need it if you really want to be a freaky programmer, so here it is

I have seen this somewhere and was just about ready to give an answer until I saw the above. I personally consider this an insult to all who have said something about logical thinking and will personally not answer the question.

Others are free to do so but I won't. I am happy that at least you said it might sound childish, cos it really does.
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by jacob05(m): 9:02am On Dec 10, 2008
tongue Nee. I don see this question before it is somehow childish and the writer did a mistake and mislead the readers with the calculations. And for your topic and question they both sounds childish. lipsrsealed
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by rancetech(m): 9:42am On Dec 10, 2008
@yawa
I'm sorry about that remark.

Yeah, I agree, it sounds childish, I actually stated this at the beginning of the post.

So, please just contribute, I've been dying to get ideas on that.
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by jacob05(m): 10:21am On Dec 10, 2008
:-x
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by jacob05(m): 11:16am On Dec 10, 2008
@yawa-ti-de

don't mind him, he is a 'kid' seeking "knowledge".

Let's not look at is words and answer the question

firstly: they each paid $10 for a $30 worth room. correct

secondly: the price of the room reduce to $25 and the cleck took $2 from there bills and gave them $1 each.correct

the mistake arose from is calculations.
Initially if the guys  had met the manager with the clerk they would would have a bill of  $25 to pay and 2 of the guys would have paid $8.33 while the other guy left would have $8.34 to pay.deducting this money from there excess bill which is $10. 2 guys paid in excess  $1.67 and the third paid $1.66 in excess.The clerk then gave the three guys $3 and took $2 alway.but clerk forgot that initially two of the guys should have given him $8.33 and the third $8.34 but cleck overlook the $0.33 {8.33 ==> 8} the two guys must have paid and $0.34 {8.34 ==> 8} the third must have paid and round it off as 8 and add the $1 each to the $8 which is not correct and he sum total as $9*3 and add $2 he took which equals $29. And summing the error in the calculation we have 0.33 + 0.33 + 0.34 = 1 wink

DO YOU GET IT NOW KIDDO     tongue
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by logica(m): 11:31am On Dec 10, 2008
"logical thinkers" sounds like tautology 2 me. i would hope that most thinkers are logical, but then what do i know. apparently some thinkers are illogical in their reasoning.
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by jacob05(m): 11:49am On Dec 10, 2008
@logica

nice point
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by yawatide(f): 1:16pm On Dec 10, 2008
@logica, hence your NL username. If you didn't surface here, I would have been surprised tongue

@rancetech, I accept your apology.

To Answer the question:
Simple - it's in the bell hop's pocket tongue

But ah! If it is that simple to answer, then it isn't so simple right? Nothing is at it seems. Let me take a crack at it. To me, it is more about how you think and not whether you get the answer correct. In fact, this would make a good interview question. He he, na so bobos go dey sweat. "I thought I was here for a JAVA position. Dis one wey dem dey ask me question about bell hop, na wa o!" cool:

The room initially cost $30 so they paid $10 each. Boss says room is actually $25. Therein lies the trick party of the question. They get $1 each back from the mgr so it is true that they paid $9 each but a ha! Isn't there a law out there that say matter can neither be destroyed more created but simply transferred? The money is still in existence. Other than being in the hop's pocket (obviously), the 3 guys paid $25 for the room, got $3 back as a discount and $2 is "stolen" by the hop. So you have:
$25 + $3 + $2 = $30.

The riddle is definitely worded wrongly. How would I phrase it? I don't even know myself, he he.
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by rancetech(m): 1:23pm On Dec 10, 2008
@jacob05
That's impressive, but I'm not a kid, you can tell from my posts and written english. I'm a certified programmer. All I wanted was for a little game amongst ourselves. It's just childish, that's all. Let it die here, ok?
Re: I Just Had To Modify This by rancetech(m): 1:27pm On Dec 10, 2008
Great! That explains it all, the question is really logical, everybody will definitely come up with different answers. That's what I wanted initially but I guess I didn't put it in the right format.

(1) (Reply)

Help / Passwords: Choosing A Secure One. / 32bit Python

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.