Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,078 members, 7,957,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 04:50 AM

Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage (3254 Views)

She's Too Small To Be Causing Troubles In Her Family. / Discussing Financial Prosperity In Marriage / How Open Should One Be In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 4:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
The following article by Earl Okezie will provide the basis for starting this discussion.

maclatunji:

When Money Walks Out of the Door, Love Flies Out of the Window

Like a never-ending circle, tenants moved in and moved out, and others quickly moved in, and the circle continued as no room was ever vacant for too long. One day, this young couple moved in, and trust face-me-i-face-you people, they quickly became the subject for petty talks and gossip because this couple came with a different lifestyle that didn’t fit in or gel with the life style of the face-me-i-face-you people.

This couple simply kept to themselves. They left together for work, returned almost at the same time. No one saw them use the convenience or cook their meals. They built a wall round themselves and made sure they lived within their wall. Everyone, particularly the women of the yard deviced all manner of strategy to know who this couple are. But the more they tried to break into their world, the harder it became.

When the fellow face-me-I-face-you folks couldn’t break into this couple’s wall, stories and gossips started making the rounds. You’ll hear such things as: “this kind husband and wife sef, na wa o. Who dem be sef, dem no de talk to anybody, na only dem dem.

One weekend during the monthly cleanup exercise, as if this was an opportunity long awaited, one of the elderly women in the yard got seized with courage and confronted Mr and Mrs anonymous. “Wetin de do una sef?” Common to greet person, na lie. Na so una go hold una self de waka kurukere. Na wetin sef? Another woman interjected, I no know for dem o.

And on and on the tongues wagged. Tony, yes that was the young husband’s name just laughed as he responded to the barrage of queries. “No be so o, na work o. Person go commot for morning, come back for night, which time person get to interact? Make una no vex.

Finally, the wall came tumbling down like the wall of Jericho, and that was the beginning of life in the world of face-me.i.-face-you for Tony and his wife who wanted to just live their lives in quietude minding their own business.

Nothing to worry as they just played along. But not long after, people started seeing Tony more frequently than ever before. He eventually became part of the yard’s small talks, gossips and petty quarrels and all those things you find in a face-me-i-face-you setting.

Tony had lost his job. When the yard gossip began making its rounds, Tony told them he was on leave, but before long, everyone got to know because it seemed like eternity since he last left his one room apartment to anywhere. He was always around. In fact, he became the compound nanny and custodian of keys and washed clothes. Often, you’ll see mama Nneka dropping off her key with Tony. Another time, you’ll hear mama Nike tell Tony, “a beg help me pack my clothes if rain begin fall.”

That was not the beginning of Tony’s travail. His descent into shame was when he began to have issues with his wife resulting in constant midnight quarrels and fighting. Trust face-me-I-face-you people. Tongues began to wag, conjectures and guesswork from the yard people flew in different directions. Tony became a shadow of his old boisterous self and began to withdraw from the yard people.

But what was the problem? As more and more of his yard comrade tried to ascertain what the issues were, the more Tony withdrew from them. One night, the bubble burst. It was a big blast.

The yard people at the dead of night heard Tony’s wife screaming, “useless man. Common chop money you no fit provide. Rent you no fit pay talk less of NEPA bill. Shamèeeeeee. No be me de feed you? Upon all, every night, you no go let me rest. Stupid useless man. Your mate they work and do things, you, nothing, only to loaf around with small small girls for yard. Foolish man.

That was all the evidence the yard people needed to brand Tony a good for nothing man who can’t provide for his wife. Before long, he became the butt of painful jokes and taunts. Some of the older men in the yard recalled how much Tony loved his wife, did her laundry and sometimes dishes, but see what his ungrateful wife had turned him into?

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2014
maclatunji:

Others labelled the woman useless, after all when Tony had money she was changing wrapper and calling him darling, now it is Tony here, Tony there. For the women in the yard, it is Tony’s fault. Why fine man like Tony no go fine work? Na him cause him own problem” they rubbed it in for good measure.

The oldest of the men concluded it all. Here him, “make una no blame Tony, Nigeria is hard. Tony wife suppose understand, but man must carry him cross because when money walk out if the door, love go fly commot from window. That’s Tony’s problem. God go help am, him go stand again.

One day Tony moved out, leaving his wife. No one had seen him ever since, but trust face-me-i-face-you people, once in a while, some announce they saw Tony at so so and so place, and as for Tony’s wife, another man simply moved in, and life continued as if nothing happened.

I’ll like to end with an SMS message a friend’s wife send to him amid quarrels over money and chop money:

“You are the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Since I got married to you, you have never paid your bills, even when you were working. I have singlehandedly paid your bills to the last without flaunting it. I cannot imagine that the man I do all these for would have the guts to call me stupid in front of my children.”

Source: http://storried.com/when-money-walks-out-of-the-door-love-flies-out-of-the-window/
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 4:46pm On Dec 22, 2014
Anecdotal evidence suggests that more and more wives are becoming the "bread-winners" in the family for different reasons such as:

1. The man being lazy.

2. The man being unable to secure a good job because of the nature of his skills, education or industry where he works.

3. Bad investment decisions.

4. Ill health and lots more.

My questions are:

1. As a man how would you seek to manage a situation where your wife earns more than you do? If you currently experience this and you don't mind, kindly give us insights into how your relationship in terms of finance works.

2. As a woman, how would you manage earning more than your husband and being able to finance things for the family (if you choose) that he cannot afford to do? If you are already in this situation, your insights would be very interesting to read.

Other angles and experiences are welcome.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by janvier27(m): 4:57pm On Dec 22, 2014
A man must take full responsibility for family finances. I have not seen a woman that will not some day brag about spending on the family, no matter how insignificant.

3 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by engrtee(f): 5:10pm On Dec 22, 2014
Following
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by LewsTherin: 8:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
It is a difficult situation no doubt. I had a very bad couple of jobs after I got married but thank God I had a good wife. At a point, a good friend told me that if I had not married a good woman, I would be dead by then!
It's probably a bad expression of frustration that makes some women (some!) lash out at their husbands when things are bad for the men. There are cases where the business the woman does to bring in the only income they enjoy was started by the husband when things were good and then the woman still speaks unprintable things to the husband. It is sad. It is the sinful state of man.

What I will say is for men who create businesses for their wives, do not leave it to them in totality. Play a quiet but active part in the business. Maybe once a week go through the books. Remain a signatory to the bank accounts but give advice only. While you can give instructions, it is best to let her run the daily activities but remain as the say Chairman of the Board. Discuss regularly with your wife about the business. Not only does it keep you in the loop, it brings both of you closer and creates a buffer for both of you if anything goes south.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by wheredemdey: 8:18pm On Dec 22, 2014
Lovely topic..

Nothing is as worse as a man being fed by a woman..it is the worst thing ever to happen to a man..women tend to rub it in your face at any given time..women in this context refers to every female specie..(sisters,wives,cousin,colleague etc)..its an inherent trait in them.

All a man needs to overcome is patience and self control...thats the antidote

2 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by coogar: 8:49pm On Dec 22, 2014
maclatunji:
As a man how would you seek to manage a situation where your wife earns more than you do? If you currently experience this and you don't mind, kindly give us insights into how your relationship in terms of finance works.

as a man, you just shouldn't accept that position....regardless of what the wife says. 99% of them will snap back after bearing the burden for 2-3 months. it's the worst situation any man can find himself. tony should have travelled to another state or city to find any kinda job.

4 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by aderonila18: 9:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
Sometimes the problem arises from the man's ego. I have an aunt whose husband has been in and out of work for years ( usually he gets a job but then gets sacked after some months due to his non performance), she's therefore the breadwinner of the house. She pays the school fees, rent and everything and she's very humble and never brings it up to people. You'll only know she's the breadwinner if you know the family well because the man is usually out of a job and sitting at home.

Overtime she tried to encourage him to give his best in the office so he won't get sacked even if the company is downsizing since they'll know he is a valuable asset but he's the type who always sees himself as a victim. He tries to belittle her success at work, saying women have it easier and he's just unfortunate with bosses undecided

They had a joint account so that he wouldn't feel bad having to ask her for money all the time. The problem is he started withdrawing ridiculous amounts of money for ridiculous things and he started investing in businesses he had no knowledge of so he would end up losing the money. The woman dare not ask him what he withdrew money for when she gets an alert of a large sum because the husband will attack her immediately that why is she monitoring every amount he spends just because she's the breadwinner undecided At a point he wanted to remove a huge amount from their savings account for another of his wild business schemes ,the wife having seen him lose money over business deals he didn't do enough research on advised that they should keep their savings instead. She put her foot down this time and didn't give it to him because that was the families final fall back money and losing it would reck them financially, luckily the savings account was in her name so he couldn't withdraw it.

The man then started going around family members and friends saying she was arrogant just because she's the breadwinner and she's supposed to be submissive and let him as the head of the family have the final say on financial discussions angry he is refusing to talk to her since she's held firmly to her decisions, she simply asked the family members if they'll feed and pay her children's school fees if the man losses their finally savings grin of course all of them disappeared after that. The man goes around telling people sob stories of how his wife is arrogant ,always asking him to account for money , blah , blah just because he doesn't have a job undecided if you don't know the real situation you'll believe his version and be like the woman must be so wicked and ungrateful.

So when you hear some men complaining about their wives "arrogance" because she's the breadwinner just try and listen to the other side. Some men are lazy, they are dreamers and when the wife tries to correct him he'll flare up. There are a lot of good women who are ready to be breadwinners when their family requires it but some mens ego become the problem.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Pavore9: 9:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
There are some women who have been catering for their families without complaint despite the fact that the man is working bt dodging his responsibilities. Those who rub it on the faces of their once productive & providing husbands are simply myopic.

2 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Tobiegal(f): 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
Recently we lost this lovely colleague of ours to the cold hands of death... And almost immediately things were revealed.

It so happened that she was the bread winner of her family for not a year...but almost 3/4 years since her husband lost his bank work.

It was then things began to add up... How she would ever smile or laugh... How she was usually moody... They had 3kids.. And she had to carry all that weight alone... Who knew what else she had to deal with from the home front.

Anyways... This became public knowledge because we had to contribute money for the husband towards the burial and all... And they also appealed to open an college fund account for the kids!

Ordinarily, most wives contribute to their house holds... It's just the sanest thing to do... But adding a dude that isn't willing to fight for himself is just plain crazy and shouldn't be condoned.

Before any woman would lash out be it immediately or in future, would mean that the guy must have done something really really hurtful to her.

8 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 11:55pm On Dec 22, 2014
LewsTherin:
It is a difficult situation no doubt. I had a very bad couple of jobs after I got married but thank God I had a good wife. At a point, a good friend told me that if I had not married a good woman, I would be dead by then!
It's probably a bad expression of frustration that makes some women (some!) lash out at their husbands when things are bad for the men. There are cases where the business the woman does to bring in the only income they enjoy was started by the husband when things were good and then the woman still speaks unprintable things to the husband. It is sad. It is the sinful state of man.

What I will say is for men who create businesses for their wives, do not leave it to them in totality. Play a quiet but active part in the business. Maybe once a week go through the books. Remain a signatory to the bank accounts but give advice only. While you can give instructions, it is best to let her run the daily activities but remain as the say Chairman of the Board. Discuss regularly with your wife about the business. Not only does it keep you in the loop, it brings both of you closer and creates a buffer for both of you if anything goes south.

I think I like your suggestion. Don't be in her face but retain a symbolic position in the business, it should not irritate her but keeps you as part of the business. It should work Ceteris Paribus.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 11:59pm On Dec 22, 2014
aderonila18:
Sometimes the problem arises from the man's ego. I have an aunt whose husband has been in and out of work for years ( usually he gets a job but then gets sacked after some months due to his non performance), she's therefore the breadwinner of the house. She pays the school fees, rent and everything and she's very humble and never brings it up to people. You'll only know she's the breadwinner if you know the family well because the man is usually out of a job and sitting at home.

Overtime she tried to encourage him to give his best in the office so he won't get sacked even if the company is downsizing since they'll know he is a valuable asset but he's the type who always sees himself as a victim. He tries to belittle her success at work, saying women have it easier and he's just unfortunate with bosses undecided

They had a joint account so that he wouldn't feel bad having to ask her for money all the time. The problem is he started withdrawing ridiculous amounts of money for ridiculous things and he started investing in businesses he had no knowledge of so he would end up losing the money. The woman dare not ask him what he withdrew money for when she gets an alert of a large sum because the husband will attack her immediately that why is she monitoring every amount he spends just because she's the breadwinner undecided At a point he wanted to remove a huge amount from their savings account for another of his wild business schemes ,the wife having seen him lose money over business deals he didn't do enough research on advised that they should keep their savings instead. She put her foot down this time and didn't give it to him because that was the families final fall back money and losing it would reck them financially, luckily the savings account was in her name so he couldn't withdraw it.

The man then started going around family members and friends saying she was arrogant just because she's the breadwinner and she's supposed to be submissive and let him as the head of the family have the final say on financial discussions angry he is refusing to talk to her since she's held firmly to her decisions, she simply asked the family members if they'll feed and pay her children's school fees if the man losses their finally savings grin of course all of them disappeared after that. The man goes around telling people sob stories of how his wife is arrogant ,always asking him to account for money , blah , blah just because he doesn't have a job undecided if you don't know the real situation you'll believe his version and be like the woman must be so wicked and ungrateful.

So when you hear some men complaining about their wives "arrogance" because she's the breadwinner just try and listen to the other side. Some men are lazy, they are dreamers and when the wife tries to correct him he'll flare up. There are a lot of good women who are ready to be breadwinners when their family requires it but some mens ego become the problem.

A nice submission. I wonder if it is right though for the woman to shoulder financial responsibilities of the family even when she is dedicated, loving, sincere and humble with it.

I realise that sometimes, a man may just never be able to match his wife financially no matter how hard he tries but I still don't think it is a proper situation. What do you think? Male pride and arrogance?

1 Like

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 12:00am On Dec 23, 2014
The responses so far have been excellent, thank you all for them.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by TheMadame(f): 1:16pm On Dec 23, 2014
A husband and wife are meant to be ONE. They are meant to compliment one another. Marriage is not meant to be a competition between two people but a partnership. My husband has always been a good provider for my family but if the shoe was on the other foot,I would certainly try my best to play the role without grumbling or making him feel bad or less of a man.

6 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by MMotimo: 4:36pm On Dec 23, 2014
maclatunji:

2. As a woman, how would you manage earning more than your husband and being able to finance things for the family (if you choose) that he cannot afford to do? If you are already in this situation, your insights would be very interesting to read.
Other angles and experiences are welcome.

It starts with the design you have for your marriage. As far as we are concerned, the good, the bad, everything is joint. He makes a little over 100% what I make but everything goes in one pot. Even when I had no income, it was always one pot so if I found myself earning more, nothing would change.

We have a "household income" and "household expenses" it's never been about Mrs or Mr's income. Big ticket items/ideas are discussed before purchase/commitment because it is "our" money, not his or hers and when either of us spends, it has nothing to do with the ratio of contribution.

It's a very simple model and it's worked from day one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 7:11pm On Dec 23, 2014
TheMadame:
A husband and wife are meant to be ONE. They are meant to compliment one another. Marriage is not meant to be a competition between two people but a partnership. My husband has always been a good provider for my family but if the shoe was on the other foot,I would certainly try my best to play the role without grumbling or making him feel bad or less of a man.

Ok, nice.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 7:15pm On Dec 23, 2014
MMotimo:

It starts with the design you have for your marriage. As far as we are concerned, the good, the bad, everything is joint. He makes a little over 100% what I make but everything goes in one pot. Even when I had no income, it was always one pot so if I found myself earning more, nothing would change.

We have a "household income" and "household expenses" it's never been about Mrs or Mr's income. Big ticket items/ideas are discussed before purchase/commitment because it is "our" money, not his or hers and when either of us spends, it has nothing to do with the ratio of contribution.

Interesting approach, I doubt I can do it though. I would rather have my future wife manage her resources as she pleases as long as it is not obscene or on things that might embarrass me and the family and she would have to utilise what I provide for family upkeep.

If she decides to support family projects fine but I won't wait for her income on anything.

2 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by greetings(f): 7:29pm On Dec 23, 2014
From personal experiences, it depends on the man, and the kind of financial relationship they want to have. Finance can make couples closer and on another hand lead to divorce. Trust is key, a woman that truly loves and trusts her man will shoulder any responsibility thrown her way. Women have deep emotions and most of their actions and reaction comes from that. If she bad mouths her husband unnecessarily then she is not virtuous IMO. If despite being the. Breadwinner they are still tight its because the man keeps her happy.

treat a woman well and she will lay down her life for you to be alright.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Caveatemptor(m): 7:50pm On Dec 23, 2014
TheMadame:

Themadame,
Lovely contribution. Marriage is certainly not a competition between two people. It os a loint venture.
Impressive.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Caveatemptor(m): 7:54pm On Dec 23, 2014
MMotimo:

A reasonable approach to marriage.
Kudos.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Nobody: 12:54am On Dec 24, 2014
Am learning things here,as I plan to venture into marriage in the future..

This is why my strongest prayer point to God is to make me a "Man" to my wife,and children.

Marriage,hmmm.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by maclatunji: 8:49am On Dec 24, 2014
Yomieluv:
Am learning things here,as I plan to venture into marriage in the future..

This is why my strongest prayer point to God is to make me a "Man" to my wife,and children.

Marriage,hmmm.

One of the reasons for starting this thread is for people to learn.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by ihedinobi2: 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2014
MMotimo:

I agree. I was actually wondering how to pass this message across about who earns what.

The family is one unit. And typically the man may be the forager while the woman manages the things he forages. Not that it always works out like that. But the idea is that it's one unit. One pot. Doesn't really matter how much who earns. What matters is that the household wealth is properly administered.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
@OP:

It is simply as a result of husbands eating their cake and wanting to have it cheesy

The husband is the head of his family yes; however this headship IS NOT based on his financial strength or status (that is for another day). What we have is most husbands and wives tying the headship to finance which seems to work as along as the man is the head financially. Once he loses the financial edge, please what is his use?

We have several threads on NL where male posters have said they will not do house chores because they are the 'head' & finance the home or bring a larger ticket; some are quick to 'chase' their wives from their house (how I detest the word "husband's house" when I am not marrying a married man) obviously because they pay for the rent.

Oga flex muscle finish and suddenly he loses his job/accident/whatever and he expects madam to be the perfect supportive wife? He must be dreaming.

If he acknowledged they were one when the going was good, chances are wifey will be supportive wink

We now have the issue of ego? Oga doesnot work, stays at home all day and he wants madam to come back from work and start jumping from kitchen to bathroom undecided because? Oga earns less and suddenly madam suggesting (not deciding o) they buy A instead of B is seen as control; Madam getting angry over an issue she got angry about means she wants to become the pilot abi na captain tongue

I agree there are some hare brained and demonic wives like Tony's wife but most of them had it coming.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by ihedinobi2: 5:12pm On Dec 24, 2014
WOAH!!! I DID NOT READ THAT OP!!! NASTY!!!

Ok, I know the "husband-lost-ability-to-provide-so-wife-provides" story very well. I know it very very well.

To put it simply, I consider the husband and wife a single unit. One spouse's issues are the other's as well. It's one team. Contrary understandings have not proved to work to my observation.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting married because I want help to accomplish the purpose of my life. I'll judge everything by that. I hope for a prudent manager for a wife. I'd commit everything I own to her if I could. And encourage her to become a wise investor with them while I go out to get more.

If her activities earn us more than mine I gain. If mine earn us more I gain. I don't see a loss either way.

Needless to say, I wouldn't stand in my wife's way if she decides to quit her job and play asset management guru with our "pot". I might actually push the idea grin I do like having someone I trust home with the kids. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Nobody: 7:36pm On Dec 24, 2014
I was judging a woman whose husband told all who cared to listen that after training his wife he lost his job and she became a devil.
One day I met her crying at an older friend's place, I wanted to leave but our mutual friend called me back and explained why she called me to come.
The woman needed a loan, rent and fees were due at the same time and Oga had once again convinced her through blackmail and bullying to release money she had been saving for both purposes, now they were due and he told her to apply for an office loan.
She said she was drained and tired, she can't complain or talk with him because it always turns into " have you forgotten that I am the one who trained you". She comes home late each day to meet dishes undone, has to go and pick the kids from her sisters place because they go there after school if she asks him to baby sit it will be that she is turning him to her house boy. She cant keep a maid because he sleeps with them or harasses them till they leave, she now has to pick the kids, make dinner and check their homework while he does nothing only nag her.
She said she takes on extra trips even when she was heavily pregnant just so she could use the DSA to add to her salary .
I was shocked because this man will always paint her like a wicked unsupportive wife and she never says anything so it wont be that she is kicking him when he is down. Normally she shuts up manages and pays the bills denys herself so many things and the only reason why she came to speak to our friend was because she was desperate and didn't know where to turn to. Our NGO work there is no allowance for loans as they can fire you any day anytime.
We were both able to raise the money for her but not as a loan

Since that day I am slow to judge till I see for myself that the women are mean.

If a woman stays at home mostly she at least tries to make the home habitable, some men will expect their wives to go through all the stress and come home to start from sqaure 1 off cause she will be irritated and upset.

If one spouse is staying home for the while try to make life easier for the working one so paying the bills doesn't become so frustrating

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by bukatyne(f): 8:48pm On Dec 24, 2014
aisha2:
I was judging a woman whose husband told all who cared to listen that after training his wife he lost his job and she became a devil.
One day I met her crying at an older friend's place, I wanted to leave but our mutual friend called me back and explained why she called me to come.
The woman needed a loan, rent and fees were due at the same time and Oga had once again convinced her through blackmail and bullying to release money she had been saving for both purposes, now they were due and he told her to apply for an office loan.
She said she was drained and tired, she can't complain or talk with him because it always turns into " have you forgotten that I am the one who trained you". She comes home late each day to meet dishes undone, has to go and pick the kids from her sisters place because they go there after school if she asks him to baby sit it will be that she is turning him to her house boy. She cant keep a maid because he sleeps with them or harasses them till they leave, she now has to pick the kids, make dinner and check their homework while he does nothing only nag her.
She said she takes on extra trips even when she was heavily pregnant just so she could use the DSA to add to her salary .
I was shocked because this man will always paint her like a wicked unsupportive wife and she never says anything so it wont be that she is kicking him when he is down. Normally she shuts up manages and pays the bills denys herself so many things and the only reason why she came to speak to our friend was because she was desperate and didn't know where to turn to. Our NGO work there is no allowance for loans as they can fire you any day anytime.
We were both able to raise the money for her but not as a loan

Since that day I am slow to judge till I see for myself that the women are mean.

If a woman stays at home mostly she at least tries to make the home habitable, some men will expect their wives to go through all the stress and come home to start from sqaure 1 off cause she will be irritated and upset.

If one spouse is staying home for the while try to make life easier for the working one so paying the bills doesn't become so frustrating

I find it difficult to wrap my head round it.

My youngest sister cannot go out with me @ home and I expect her to come back and cook or whatever.

2 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Stillfire: 9:48pm On Dec 24, 2014
Anybody can use their financial dominance to control you. Men do it, women do it. Those are humans for you, to bastardize any small power they have. In Nigeria a financially sustainable man is god unto himself and the women accept it humbly. Men should learn from these docile women and accept their new position humbly. If you cannot, go and get a job. It's as simple as that.

Someone once told me of a Nigerian man that moved to the US and didn't have a job, but the wife was working. When the wife complained that he wasn't doing any house chores, he said he could not bring himself to do it, but he gave his wife a promise that if after two years he is still financially incapable, he would have no choice than to do the house chores and she can hurl whatever tasks at him.

I like this story because this is a practical man with an agenda. I'm very practical and I like to have a sense of direction. I can certainly work with this kind of husband. He set a timeline instead of some wishful miracle to happen then before you know it 10yrs has passed and we would be asking which way Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by ihedinobi2: 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2014
LewsTherin:

I like this response. Empower the woman. Do it together. Very strong lessons.
Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 24, 2014
I think the biggest undoing of a man is losing the ability to earn enough money to meet his family's needs. Any man who believes women will happily cater for you till you die is in for a shocker. If you have to resort to selling pepper and tomatoes bloody do it, it's damn lucrative. Many men have learnt this lesson the hard way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Discussing Financial Troubles In Marriage by TV01(m): 12:49am On Dec 25, 2014
ihedinobi2:
WOAH!!! I DID NOT READ THAT OP!!! NASTY!!!

Ok, I know the "husband-lost-ability-to-provide-so-wife-provides" story very well. I know it very very well.

To put it simply, I consider the husband and wife a single unit. One spouse's issues are the other's as well. It's one team. Contrary understandings have not proved to work to my observation.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm getting married because I want help to accomplish the purpose of my life. I'll judge everything by that. I hope for a prudent manager for a wife. I'd commit everything I own to her if I could. And encourage her to become a wise investor with them while I go out to get more.

If her activities earn us more than mine I gain. If mine earn us more I gain. I don't see a loss either way.

Needless to say, I wouldn't stand in my wife's way if she decides to quit her job and play asset management guru with our "pot". I might actually push the idea grin I do like having someone I trust home with the kids. cheesy

Ihe, hi, hope all's well. Saw you shout-out, thanks very much. Just beeen chillin' and chasing down other things. Wishing you a merry x-mas and a most fruitful new year.

@Bolded, a worthy sentiment, but very few are capable of living up to that. Be it a social construct or due to our wiring, men are designated providers, priests and protectors. Any imbalance there is liable to cause issues in their relationship.

Take the priestly role for instance, in instances where men fail here or are simply weak/uninterested, many wives look to pastors or other spiritual icons - and lots of marital convo's are typically initiated with "pastor says".

Even yet to marry girls sef - after a few knocks, I studiously ignored those ones - I suggest single brothers do the same or at least make it very clear who is pastor in their home, and if the MOG oversteps the marital mark he may be met with a head-butt grin!

It's a mans pride to be able to provide wholesale for his family, and typically both parties feel absolutely comfortable with it. And society rarely questions that - a woman thrust into that position will feel resentful - and more so if it's a struggle to make ends meet.

On the whole women want men who can lead them, and that can be difficult without a solid financial footing, as provision is somehow implied. Even women that want to be able to control their men, don't necessarily want to have to feed them to do that.

Women typically marry up, and that is not something that I have a problem with as there are clear biological and social drivers for that. Ask any of the female high-earners here if they would seriously consider marrying a man who earned 50% or so less than them? Not unless a desperate situation warrants it.

The number of homes where men provide the bulk of the income still far outnumber the relatively few instances where women provide more, let alone all. The economic landscape nowadays typically means both parties are required to make a monetary contribution.

@second bolded, again that is actually best IMHO,but it demands you shoulder that burden to provide for your household, not something that would easily swing in the reverse wink.

@Post, why are financial troubles in marriage now reduced to "men not being able to provide/secure an income"? It's worth touching on, but that can only ever be a relatively small number of homes. Even if the wife contributes more, it's relatively rare for a man to bring in absolutely nothing on a long-term basis, or even less over the course of the whole union.

There can still be monetary issues/dilemmas regardless of the split or source of income, especially where resources are limited - as is the case in most homes. Perhaps the discussion could touch on communication and creativity around agreement and utilisation of resources. Deadbeat husbands have taken a beating already on this thread cheesy.

Absolutely agree with Bukatyne re headship - or at least I think I do? Headship is the mans by default and not predicated on his financial capabilities, however, a facet of his husbandly role is provision.

Off to season my turkey.

Merry crimbo everyone

TV

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Benefit More In Marriage? / How Is a man Continously arroused By His Wife After Years Of Marriage / What Is The Importance Of Having Children?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.