Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,953 members, 7,817,795 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:52 PM

Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? (2557 Views)

Where Can I Hire Contruction Machine In Makurdi,benue State. / Kindly Help! Rats Are Killing My Business / Where Can I Hire Astro Turf In Lagos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by naijacutee(f): 2:40am On Dec 23, 2014
Hi everyone,

I have a small situation which I would like to put out there and hear the general consensus on. Nairalanders who know me might have noticed a drastic reduction in my activity levels here which has been due to additional responsibilities in my personal life, restricting the amount of time I have to spare. I had a beautiful baby earlier in the year, and this has also meant that I have had less time to manage my Nigerian business which I run from the UK.

The business:
I have run a website since 2007 selling wholesale items to retailers/small business people (mostly repeat customers) in Nigeria. In this time, I have grown an e-mail subscription list of about 250 members the hard way (opted in, not bought), a Twitter account with 136 followers (voluntary, not bought) and a Facebook page with about 3,000 followers (voluntary, not bought). This has all been done with minimal advertising as I have run the business alongside my existing life - while I was at University, and while working a full time job. I have been able to manage things until now, as I get zero time during the day to go online. I currently have about N180,000 worth of stock in Lagos, and about N70,000 credit due for collection from customers.

The issue:
Since I've had my baby, the site has really taken a back seat as my priorities have changed. I did promise myself that when I started having kids, that I wouldn't want my work to compete for my attention with the kids, and as such I am willing to hands off this business, but the problem is how to go about it. At this point, I see 2 options, which I need advice on. I have already received some advice, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

Option 1: I can hire a manager to run the entire site and operations and offer a performance-based salary. The issue with this is that I have to train up someone, correct mistakes etc and I don't know if I'll be able to find a fast learner who can treat the business like his/hers.
Option 2 is that I can sell the site, stock, suppliers details, shippers details, customer credits etc to an entrepreneur who wants things readymade. The issue with this is that will such a person be committed enough not to run the business into the ground? I have had an offer from a guy in the UK who was interested in buying the business, and we even worked together for a little bit, but my issue was that he is a young British guy who knows nothing about Nigerian customers, although he was quite eager to learn and I didn't want him taking costly experiments.

I'd really like to hear what you all would do in my shoes. Thanks
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by sonnie10: 3:45am On Dec 23, 2014
What is the net worth of this business? The dollar amount please.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by i1: 4:16am On Dec 23, 2014
the problem with staff is just too much and will u be able to cope with the kid? if the british guy is willing to pay for it outrightly do so with a cluase that u will offer hom support for a period of about 6 months. i understand that the websites goodwill and brand will pass to another person(consider valuing same and state either to ur nigerian customers that the business is under new management) but is he the only offer..
dont u think its time u advertise for a buyer or u can contact some loyal customers who might be intrested in buying. u can state specifically that u want an african buyer. ps: pm me the name of the site i can talk to someone.
pls sell the business but if u r not comfortable with the current buyer seek another. do not ever leave it to a manager becuase either the stress will be too much or your goodwill and brand will be lost.
ps. is the business profitable?
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by chinoify: 4:48am On Dec 23, 2014
How much is the biz worth??
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by BizBloke(m): 8:09am On Dec 23, 2014
Naijacutee,

It seems you're emotionally tied in with it. Go with option 2 if there's not much time for 1. Then, inform your existing clients of change in ownership.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by emeka94(m): 8:14am On Dec 23, 2014
don't sell, but hire. I know the problem with staff management is too much but look at the plus side, your business has a future; a bright one. with proper management it could be worth times five its present value in the next few years.
Another option is partnership. You can partner with the Brit, or any other person, making sure you retain majority control/ stakes. that way you have more time to spend with your baby, whom I suppose is a girl and I want to marry cheesy, and also make money from the business.
Carefully consider all your options before making any.

1 Like

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Seun(m): 8:19am On Dec 23, 2014
Considering your priorities, option 2 is better, but you should sell it to someone who won't need to disturb you once s/he takes over the biz. Yes, the business may fail after you sell it, but that would not be your problem anymore. You're sacrificing it for something more important.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by cremeandchic: 8:40am On Dec 23, 2014
BizBloke:
Naijacutee,

It seems you're emotionally tied in with it. Go with option 2 if there's not much time for 1. Then, inform your existing clients of change in ownership.

Cheers.
My exact sentiment-she's emotionally attached to the business. This is more than a business to her, it'a passion.

Naijacutee if i'm to advise you i'll say, don't sell the business. It's really not easy to build a busjness from the scratch these days. Think of all the hard work you put in to get it to where it is today.

I know that you are very busy right now and may not have time to run the business but why not sell a percentage of the business-bring a partner in who would be involved in the day to day running of the business and at the end of the month/year/quarter, both of you would share profits. That way, you would still own and be a part of your business but wouldn't be involved in day to day runing of the businesw which is what consumes your time.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Akaraiwe(m): 10:20am On Dec 23, 2014
Sell to me.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by BizBloke(m): 10:36am On Dec 23, 2014
cremeandchic:

My exact sentiment-she's emotionally attached to the business. This is more than a business to her, it'a passion.

Naijacutee if i'm to advise you i'll say, don't sell the business. It's really not easy to build a busjness from the scratch these days. Think of all the hard work you put in to get it to where it is today.

I know that you are very busy right now and may not have time to run the business but why not sell a percentage of the business-bring a partner in who would be involved in the day to day running of the business and at the end of the month/year/quarter, both of you would share profits. That way, you would still own and be a part of your business but wouldn't be involved in day to day runing of the businesw which is what consumes your time.

Option 3 is the highlighted.

You're right, CremeandChic.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by BizBloke(m): 10:38am On Dec 23, 2014
Seun:
Considering your priorities, option 2 is better, but you should sell it to someone who won't need to disturb you once s/he takes over the biz. Yes, the business may fail after you sell it, but that would not be your problem anymore. You're sacrificing it for something more important.

Spot on! Your head dey there.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by naijacutee(f): 2:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
@i1 I think the issue with the offer I have is that I want it to be a success, but I might not be able to commit to holding someone's hand for any length of time. Like @BizBloke said, I'm quite emotionally vested in it, because I have nurtured it for a long time and I know what potential it has. More importantly, I don't want to mess relationships with my existing regular customers. I have really good quality customers who pay on time and before seeing products and this is based on trust built over the years. This is very important to me. This also explains why I am slightly apprehensive of the possibility of it failing as @Seun has highlighted. It's a huge sacrifice it to make if I decide to sell, because I want my hard work to be improved on rather than thrown down the drain!

@Creamandchic your option isn't bad but then with partnerships, the issue is similar to hiring an employee. Where do I get a good partner that shares the same values as me, and has the time to dedicate to it?

1 Like

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by cremeandchic: 4:33pm On Dec 23, 2014
naijacutee:
@i1 I think the issue with the offer I have is that I want it to be a success, but I might not be able to commit to holding someone's hand for any length of time. Like @BizBloke said, I'm quite emotionally vested in it, because I have nurtured it for a long time and I know what potential it has. More importantly, I don't want to mess relationships with my existing regular customers. I have really good quality customers who pay on time and before seeing products and this is based on trust built over the years. This is very important to me. This also explains why I am slightly apprehensive of the possibility of it failing as @Seun has highlighted. It's a huge sacrifice it to make if I decide to sell, because I want my hard work to be improved on rather than thrown down the drain!

@Creamandchic your option isn't bad but then with partnerships, the issue is similar to hiring an employee. Where do I get a good partner that shares the same values as me, and has the time to dedicate to it?
Hi Naijacutee, i'm interested in talking to you offline. That's If you don't mind.

You can send me a mail on cremeandchic@gmail.com, i'll reply you.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by holajeedayy: 12:27pm On Dec 25, 2014
I am interested send me a mail jidealade123@gmail.com
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Dec 25, 2014
Hello Naijacutee, I see you are in a delimma.
I am capable and passionate enough to fit into any of the available options.
im interested, pm me.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by mrsage(m): 5:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
Sell it. You can retain a small percentage if possible.
I'm interested. witsoftng@gmail.com
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 27, 2014
@Naijacutee, I was in a similar situation too. The truth is that we dont pray to be stagnant and life evolves, your baby/family is a plus to you.

That you close a business down doesnt mean that you have failed or let people down, which I am sure is one of your worrys. Not all businesses will stand the test of time and times do move. Once upon a time Blockbuster video were very popular, I dont know of anyone who rents movies from Blockbusters now.
A friend of mine who used to cater for parties now no longer caters but only does fruit trees and she is busy most weekends.

I used to run a hire business on the side but sold it just at the point where every one else went into it and people started doing it for a third of the price I was charging. I wasnt prepared to cut corners, so time to move on & I sold the whole business.

I recently ended another business that I had as it was impacting my family life which involved a lot of travel and I used to miss them terribly every time I travelled. My not being there also added to the stress due to my very high standards.
I had already made my money and I was in your dilemma, I didnt want the name to die and was looking for someone to take over and put the word out, but God has a way of doing things and Konga and Jumai came along and I sold the whole stock for even more than I was selling in the shop. I sold the lot in 2 months.

Because I always like to be busy, I have another business, but this one, I run from my kitchen table, with no stress, in my own time and when I want to. No pressure.

What is the epitstle for? Take a step back, prioritise and look at your situation now and go for what works for you now.

Lest I forget, when I sold my businesses/stock, I always tie some of the money down on something constructiuve, so I can look back and see what it is and say that this is what I gained from the business. If you do end up selling the business, then please consider doing just that too. If you are indeed business inclined, you will still find something that is suitable for your circumstances.

Pray about it and ask God for wisdom.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by MrTumble: 9:37am On Dec 27, 2014
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Kajiang02(m): 10:21am On Dec 27, 2014
Outright sale should be the last option though. And as Seun advised, ensure you have a caveat when you do this. There's no guarantee the business will succeed or keep on growing.
You can still create a passion or don something less time consuming whilst you focus on family. Guess its your priority now. Also take a cue from CC, I just love that lady.

On the contrary, you may also try the partnership thing or grooming someone else, be extra vigilant when doing this, so the business doesn't crumble before you can salvage it. Then, SELL IT.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by lifestyle1(m): 11:06am On Dec 27, 2014
@Naijacutee, There is no need to sell, I can manage it for you. I have a similar startup.
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by naijacutee(f): 6:54pm On Dec 28, 2014
Thanks for the advice, guys. Hope everyone had a merry christmas!

@chaircover - Thanks for your wise words. Us women are up against A LOT in the bid to balance family life with careers. I will take your advice and I am reflecting on all my options on the table.

@Kajiang - Thank you. I do understand there is no guarantee the business will do well, and this is what I am apprehensive about.

@lifestyle - Thanks for the offer, but if you currently run a similar business, doesn't that make you a competitor?
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by jam04(m): 5:20am On Jan 03, 2015
Sorry for posting off topic. I sent you a PM but it wasn't acknowledge so I thought maybe you didn't get it.

I have a concern regarding this my thread (www.nairaland.com/2070246/2014-end-year-report-penthouse#29427634). Don't know why the 2nd part was hidden. Will appreciate if this is looked into.

Thanks
Re: Should I Hire A Manager Or Sell My Business? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 03, 2015
naijacutee:
Hi everyone,

I have a small situation which I would like to put out there and hear the general consensus on. Nairalanders who know me might have noticed a drastic reduction in my activity levels here which has been due to additional responsibilities in my personal life, restricting the amount of time I have to spare. I had a beautiful baby earlier in the year, and this has also meant that I have had less time to manage my Nigerian business which I run from the UK.

The business:
I have run a website since 2007 selling wholesale items to retailers/small business people (mostly repeat customers) in Nigeria. In this time, I have grown an e-mail subscription list of about 250 members the hard way (opted in, not bought), a Twitter account with 136 followers (voluntary, not bought) and a Facebook page with about 3,000 followers (voluntary, not bought). This has all been done with minimal advertising as I have run the business alongside my existing life - while I was at University, and while working a full time job. I have been able to manage things until now, as I get zero time during the day to go online. I currently have about N180,000 worth of stock in Lagos, and about N70,000 credit due for collection from customers.

The issue:
Since I've had my baby, the site has really taken a back seat as my priorities have changed. I did promise myself that when I started having kids, that I wouldn't want my work to compete for my attention with the kids, and as such I am willing to hands off this business, but the problem is how to go about it. At this point, I see 2 options, which I need advice on. I have already received some advice, but I'd like to hear more opinions.

Option 1: I can hire a manager to run the entire site and operations and offer a performance-based salary. The issue with this is that I have to train up someone, correct mistakes etc and I don't know if I'll be able to find a fast learner who can treat the business like his/hers.
Option 2 is that I can sell the site, stock, suppliers details, shippers details, customer credits etc to an entrepreneur who wants things readymade. The issue with this is that will such a person be committed enough not to run the business into the ground? I have had an offer from a guy in the UK who was interested in buying the business, and we even worked together for a little bit, but my issue was that he is a young British guy who knows nothing about Nigerian customers, although he was quite eager to learn and I didn't want him taking costly experiments.

I'd really like to hear what you all would do in my shoes. Thanks

Don't sell the business.

See this as a wake-up call to stop working IN the
business and start working ON the business.

Start documenting the basic systems/processes so
that the business can run without you.

Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

Just Married Naija (car Rentals For Weddings) / Pictures Of Made In Kano Shoe / Empty Cosmetics Bottles For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.